Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

My instruction from Richard heading into today's workout (We had been talking about paused reps vs. touch-n-go and the value of the leg drive in benching:

In all honesty you get stronger, and by better placement of the bar you are less injury prone if you pause. I never touch and go any more. Hopefully the instruction on grip helped you. Also ther leg drive SO very important comes as a surge (like a wave building through your body. As I said the alignment of power is what big liftin' is all about. The surge from your legs peaks as the bar is ready to blast off your chest. If you think about it the weight and power of your entire body flows into the bar at the moment of blastoff. Timing in bench pressing is like the timing in catching a bus IS so very important! Never leg drive after the bar is gone on it's way or stalling.. Many times if I am feeling strong I will pause extra long on my last rep as a "worst case scenerio". Hopefully the auxillary lifts are comfortable and conditioning you as well. Learn to bLAST those weights up! Starting strength aqusition and the theory of "things in motion tend to stay in motion " should be remermbered. RS

Today's workout: Weighed in clothed at 249.6. Felt pretty good, although I was doing this right after my daughter's birthday party and i was full of crab cakes and b-day cake. :laugh Really concentrated on the leg drive. Still not comfortable using it yet, but I think I am starting to get it. Used a pad to help train the arch and made sure to pause for full second on every rep. and press explosively. First rep of every seated press set was behind the neck to unrack the weight. All others were to the front. Only pain was some wrist pain in right wrist during bench. Tweaked it a bit unracking the weight. Not serious.

Bench Press:

Warmup:

BarX20

95X7

135X5

155X2

175X2

190X2

205X2

Work sets:

225X2

200X4

Seated Press:

BarX10

125lbs 4X6

Pullups (bodyweight 249.6) - If I keep gaining 2 lbs every week i won't have to add weight. :laugh

4X6

Hammer curls:

35lb plate in each hand 4X6

Thanks bro! So was I about a month ago. But having Goody and Eaton work with me on my set has made a HUGE difference. It felt weird at first, and I haven't perfected it yet, but I would guess it has added 10 - 15lbs of close to my grip, easy. Watch John Eaton's and Paul Knight's video on setting. It may give you a boost.

John's:

paul's

Thanks for the links Mike!

Guest Bullitt
Thanks bro! So was I about a month ago. But having Goody and Eaton work with me on my set has made a HUGE difference. It felt weird at first, and I haven't perfected it yet, but I would guess it has added 10 - 15lbs of close to my grip, easy. Watch John Eaton's and Paul Knight's video on setting. It may give you a boost.

John's:

paul's

Thanks for the links Mike!

No problem bro! Hope they help you as much as they helped me.

Guest Bullitt

Feedback on yesterday's workout from Mr. Sorin:

Mike, It all seems like the plan is coming together. Use athletic tape on your wrists for support( about 2" wide) I think the workout as planned is stimulating your metabolic system thus the positive weight gain. Be sure your body is taut like a bow and your feet are as far back as possible before you shove your heels down tight to the floor. Remember starting at the feet there is a backward (and upward) surge like a wave traveling through your legs, torso and arms.The bar drive follows and is in smooth concert with the leg/body drive IT IS NOT UP, BUT ANGULAR UP AND BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The bar actually starts low on your chest and goes up in a shallow, rearward arc. In regard to your rest time a workout should be 60 min to 75 minutes..the time before natural testosterone is depleted. 2 minutes is about right but, your body will tell you best. NEVER touch that bar unless you are totally focused and ready physically. Do keep a track of how long things take and add to your log. RS

--------------------

Richard Sorin, Sorinex Equipment

SORINEX.com

Guest Bullitt

Week 2, Thursday workout of Sorin Benchpress plan (workout took 51 minutes <about 2 min between sets> and i weighed in at exactly 250lbs): Best bench workout I have had yet. Feeling comfortable with new grip, and starting to get leg drive down. As Goody will attest, I have girl wrists (definitely my weak link), and I tweaked my right wrist during Monday's workout. Richard instructed me to tape both wrists and I did. Helped a lot. No pain, and bar felt more solid in my hands. Also, I've been working with just the bar on my off days, trying to get the grip and leg drive down and work on starting low and having slight arch upward on press. Richard had said you want the lower arms going straight up and down and I noticed with my grip as wide as it was, they were a little splayed out. So I made a very "small" correction. Moved pinky onto the ring instead of my ring finger. All the above combined to make for a bench workout like I have never had. Felt like I could have done a big max today, but I resisted the temptation and stuck exactly to the plan. The bar was literally flying off my chest, especially when I hit the leg drive just right (much more often). All reps were full range, paused reps (min 1 second) with an explosive press and I used a foam pillow to train the arch.

Bench:

Warmup:

barX20

95X10

135X5

155X1

185X1

205X1

215X1

Work sets:

245X1

205X4 (Both of these sets flew up and I actually took a longer pause than normal).

Incline Press (about 30% incline with paused/explosive reps):

175X4X6

Bent over rows (full extension with pause at bottom and hard squeeze at top):

165X4X6

Hammer curls with 35lb handled plate in each hand:

4X6

I won't lie, it was very hard to resist going for a max lift today, but I have faith in this program and am going to follow it to the letter.

Edited by Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Week 3, Monday workout of Sorin Benchpress plan (workout took 64 minutes) and I weighed in at 253.2 pre workout: I was a little beat after the grip together with Goody yesterday. All the crushing, pinching, v-bar, and bending took a little out of me. Bench still felt good today, but I could tell I wasn't getting the same leg drive and pop off the chest I got last Thursday. Concentrated on keeping my shoulder blades together, getting as big an arch as I could, (which isn't much) and driving the bench through the floor. Goody lent me a really firm foam roller to help train my arch and I need to work with it. I actually had trouble touching my butt and shoulders to the bench with the foam roller (quite painful to use) :blush. I ended up going without. Anyway, all reps were paused with an explosive press.

Bench Press:

Warmup:

barX20

95X10

135X5

155X2

185X2

205X2

215X2

Work Sets:

235X2

210X4

Seated Press (paused reps with explosive press):

135X6X6X6X6

Pullups (I don't need to add weight because I'm gaining like crazy :laugh ) These were tough with 253lbs:

BWX6X6X6X6

Hammer Curls (My arms were fried. Just used a 25lb plate in each hand):

25X6X6X6X6

Goal is 300Lbs on Thursday of week 9! :rock

Week 3, Monday workout of Sorin Benchpress plan (workout took 64 minutes) and I weighed in at 253.2 pre workout: I was a little beat after the grip together with Goody yesterday. All the crushing, pinching, v-bar, and bending took a little out of me. Bench still felt good today, but I could tell I wasn't getting the same leg drive and pop off the chest I got last Thursday. Concentrated on keeping my shoulder blades together, getting as big an arch as I could, (which isn't much) and driving the bench through the floor. Goody lent me a really firm foam roller to help train my arch and I need to work with it. I actually had trouble touching my butt and shoulders to the bench with the foam roller (quite painful to use) :blush. I ended up going without. Anyway, all reps were paused with an explosive press.

Bench Press:

Warmup:

barX20

95X10

135X5

155X2

185X2

205X2

215X2

Work Sets:

235X2

210X4

135X6X6X6X6

Pullups (I don't need to add weight because I'm gaining like crazy :laugh ) These were tough with 253lbs:

BWX6X6X6X6

25X6X6X6X6

Light weight baby! Nice work

Bench Press:

Warmup:

barX20

95X10

135X5

155X2

185X2

205X2

215X2

Work Sets:

235X2

210X4

135X6X6X6X6

BWX6X6X6X6

25X6X6X6X6

Light weight baby! Nice work

It ain't nothin' but a peanut...he can do this all day long, baby!

Guest Bullitt

My left index finger and knuckle is still hurting, but it felt better than it has in about 3 weeks so I actually did some light gripping with lefty for the first time in almost a month.

Lefty: HG200 2X12. Just wanted to ease back into it.

Righty:

3.5: 4Xmiss (finished with off hand). Closest was about 1/8" away or less. My set was way better than normal. Got it to parallel twice. That has been a struggle with this dang sore digit.

#3 TNS attempts X 2: Closest was about a cm away.

HG300 overcrush X 8 seconds

Filed 2.5 1X5 reps.

Going to rest up until Saturday and give them another go. Hoping if i hit them fresh this 3.5 will finally go down. :rock

Guest Bullitt

Week 3, Thursday workout of Sorin bench press workout plan. Weighed in at 249.6lbs. Everything felt good. I definitely feel on track to hit my goal of 300lbs on Thursday of week 9. All bench press and incline press reps were paused with explosive press. Did a set of Bulgarian split squats with just body weight to get the blood flowing and stretch my hip complex.

Bench Press:

Warmup:

barX20

95X10

135X5

155X1

185X1

205X1

225X1

Work sets:

250X1

215X4

Incline Bench Press:

180X4X6 reps

Bent Over Barbell Rows:

Warmup:

135X6

Work Sets:

180X4X6 reps

Hammer Curls with 35lb plate in each hand:

4X6

Week 3, Thursday workout of Sorin bench press workout plan. Weighed in at 249.6lbs. Everything felt good. I definitely feel on track to hit my goal of 300lbs on Thursday of week 9. All bench press and incline press reps were paused with explosive press. Did a set of Bulgarian split squats with just body weight to get the blood flowing and stretch my hip complex.

Bench Press:

Warmup:

barX20

95X10

135X5

155X1

185X1

205X1

225X1

Work sets:

250X1

215X4

Incline Bench Press:

180X4X6 reps

Bent Over Barbell Rows:

Warmup:

135X6

Work Sets:

180X4X6 reps

4X6

Very nice. Moving up on those rows I see!

Bench Press:

Warmup:

barX20

95X10

135X5

155X1

185X1

205X1

225X1

Work sets:

250X1

215X4

Incline Bench Press:

180X4X6 reps

Bent Over Barbell Rows:

Warmup:

135X6

Work Sets:

180X4X6 reps

4X6

Very nice. Moving up on those rows I see!

Yeah, I noticed that. Where's the "watching my back" emoticon? :D

Guest Bullitt

Finally closed my 3.5!!!

Legs and grip:

Squats:

Hindu SquatsX10

Sumo Deads with 60LB kettlebell

135X10

185X10

225X12

245X10

Ham Glute Raises on exercise ball:

2X15

Grippers!!!

- 3.5 X near miss (2mm) and 3 BFNs

- 3.5 X CLOSE with 2 BFNs, Had wife video since the first one was so close and she thought she hit record. When she hit it again to stop it she was actually turning it on, we actually have a good video of me walking away celebrating. UGH. :cry Oh well, got it once, I'll get it again.

- 3.5 X near miss (1mm) Just didn't have enough left in tank. http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/mri...close5-4-09.jpg

3.5 X miss 1/8"

3.5 X miss 1/4"

Doing these after squats really made a difference. I had actually hit grippers twice the day before. I will get a good video of this in the next week and post it.

Congrats on the 3.5 close Mike!

Guest Bullitt

Week 4 of Sorin Bench plan. Doubles day. Weighed in at 252. Had a lot of energy before and during the workout. I deviated slightly after my final paused double. 245 paused felt so good, I threw some extra weight on to see how things were progressing.

Big day pressing: All reps paused with explosive press.

Bench:

Warmup:

barX20

135X8

155X2

185X2

205X2

225X2

Work:

245X2

280X1 PR (touch n go. I had a ton of energy and felt great, plus I wanted to see how 3 1/2 weeks of just paused reps was translating to touch n go. Went up so easy I was shocked. Could have definitely done 290 and 295 or 300 was not out of the question. Stopped there because I am trying to stick with this program). Wow, this plan is really working. Previous best was 275 and that was a struggle.

220X4 back to paused

Strict seated press (paused reps):

95X6

140X4X6 reps. PR

This is where things went bad. After final set, I stood up and whacked the snot out of my shin on the bench. Blood everywhere, swelled up immediately. I shut things down, got the bleeding stopped and iced it. Looked like somebody stuck a half plum on my shin. :laugh I figure this is kharma for diverting from the plan for that one rep. The lifting gods have spoken. Stick to the plan.

I will do the pullups and hammer curl portion of the workout tomorrow.

Edited by Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Finished up my workout that was cut short yesterday:

Pullups (bodyweight 251.4): 4X6

Hammer Curls:

45lb plate in each hand: 2X6

35lb plate in each hand: 2X6

Everything felt good.

Finished it off with some sledge hammer levering in all directions and weaver stick type work front and back. Workin on my girlie wrists.

Guest Bullitt

Brought the grippers into work today. Very happy with the results.

Couple easy warmups with HG200 and 1 rep with 2.5.

Took 3-4 minutes between 3.5 closes.

#3.5 MMS: miss (2mm), close, close and then held at about a penny's thickness for a few seconds, miss (3-5mm) and 3BFNs.

#3: CCS close and hold for 5 seconds

#2.5 (filed) MMS: 8 continuous reps (out to parallel with each one)

Left forefinger still sore, but I did a little work with that hand. Not pushing it too much but did try the filed 2.5 for the first time in a month and got it closed. Did a few reps on the HG200 as well.

Very nice gripper strength Mike! I always feel the 2nd and 3rd attempts on a gripper are the best. MM1 and MM2 are going to be a joke for you!

#3.5 MMS: miss (2mm), close, close and then held at about a penny's thickness for a few seconds, miss (3-5mm) and 3BFNs.

Sounds like you're due for a coin-hold! :D

Guest Bullitt
Very nice gripper strength Mike! I always feel the 2nd and 3rd attempts on a gripper are the best. MM1 and MM2 are going to be a joke for you!

Thanks Sam. Hope so on the MM1 & 2. My 2nd and 3rd are always my best as well. For some reason I never get a great 1st close. I guess my CNS just needs to be woken up. :laugh

Sounds like you're due for a coin-hold! :D

I thought the same thing after I did it. I'll have one within the next few weeks on this thing. Then I need to get it calibrated.

Edited by Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Week 4 of Sorin bench plan, Thursday singles workout. Felt very strong before workout. Weighed in at 251.4. Concentrated on staying as tight as possible, getting my shoulder blades pulled in and getting a big breath before pulling weight down. Unfortunately I concentrated too much on these things and got a crappy leg drive on my single. Still went up though.

All reps paused and explosive press:

Bench Press:

warmup:

barx20

135x8

155X1

185X1

205X1

225X1

work sets:

260X1 (this was not easy - did not get a good leg drive)

225X4 (much better leg drive on all 4 reps)

Incline press (paused):

185X6X6X6X6

Rows (strict form, pause at full stretch and hard squeeze at top):

185X6 PR

185X6

195X6 PR

200X6 PR

Hammer curls (35lb plate in each hand):

4X6 reps

Next week is active rest. Will need it to hit the goal of 300 paused on week 9.

Week 4 of Sorin bench plan, Thursday singles workout. Felt very strong before workout. Weighed in at 251.4. Concentrated on staying as tight as possible, getting my shoulder blades pulled in and getting a big breath before pulling weight down. Unfortunately I concentrated too much on these things and got a crappy leg drive on my single. Still went up though.

All reps paused and explosive press:

Bench Press:

warmup:

barx20

135x8

155X1

185X1

205X1

225X1

work sets:

260X1 (this was not easy - did not get a good leg drive)

225X4 (much better leg drive on all 4 reps)

Incline press (paused):

185X6X6X6X6

Rows (strict form, pause at full stretch and hard squeeze at top):

185X6 PR

185X6

195X6 PR

200X6 PR

Hammer curls (35lb plate in each hand):

4X6 reps

Next week is active rest. Will need it to hit the goal of 300 paused on week 9.

Way to set PR's set after set!