Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

Did some benching after work yesterday. The partials felt very easy. Will try some more weight next time. Didn't have a spotter, so I had to scoot way up on bench and do them above the pins. Awkward, but easier than I expected.

barx20

135X10

185X8

225X6

265X3

315X3 (8" top partial - just scooted up bench and did middle pins to lockout)

225X9

Did a little bit of a pulling workout after grippers last night to try to get my back used to working again after tweaking it. No heavy weight.

DL:

135X10

205 3X8

Then did some pinch work with Eaton's 42.5# blob.

One arm DL:

R/L

205#

Right only:

285 PR

Saturday:

Bench:

135X10

235X8

275X2

Seated press:

135X10

185X6

225Xfail

205X2

One arm strict presses with 60lb KB: 1X10 each arm.

Sunday:

Still doing RRBT for Bill. Wanted to see where my top end strength is. Back to where I was a couple months ago.

3.5: miss ~ 1/8"

BBE adj at 1/8" (~164#): close

3.5: close

BBE adj: close

3.5: miss ~ 1/16"

Saturday:

Bench:

135X10

235X8

275X2

Seated press:

135X10

185X6

225Xfail

205X2

One arm strict presses with 60lb KB: 1X10 each arm.

Sunday:

Still doing RRBT for Bill. Wanted to see where my top end strength is. Back to where I was a couple months ago.

3.5: miss ~ 1/8"

BBE adj at 1/8" (~164#): close

3.5: close

BBE adj: close

3.5: miss ~ 1/16"

And for clarification, back to where i was is a big improvement. My grippers were way down before i started Bill's experimental program. Once this is over and I have a chance to rest, I hope to be killing my 3.5 and BBE regularly.

Last two days: Lots of gripping, pinching, levering, weavering, pulling, and bending in prep for GGC this Saturday.

Gonna state my goals here and we will see how it goes:

Gripper: 161# BBE (I would really like to get the 169# adj SE - came close last time)

2HP: 190# (did 173 at Jedd's qualifying contest)

Axle: 325 (all going to be dependent on whether my gimpy back holds up)

Weaver Stick to rear: Honestly no idea. I would be very happy with 8# from the few attempts I have made.

Medley: I want to lift the 50# blob and 3 25s. (never done either)

I have been really working my thumb and pinch. Not sure how much you can improve your pinch in 3 weeks but we are about to find out.

Last two days: Lots of gripping, pinching, levering, weavering, pulling, and bending in prep for GGC this Saturday.

Gonna state my goals here and we will see how it goes:

Gripper: 161# BBE (I would really like to get the 169# adj SE - came close last time)

2HP: 190# (did 173 at Jedd's qualifying contest)

Axle: 325 (all going to be dependent on whether my gimpy back holds up)

Weaver Stick to rear: Honestly no idea. I would be very happy with 8# from the few attempts I have made.

Medley: I want to lift the 50# blob and 3 25s. (never done either)

I have been really working my thumb and pinch. Not sure how much you can improve your pinch in 3 weeks but we are about to find out.

Nationals were Saturday. Here's how I did vs. my stated goals above:

Gripper: Closed 166# BBE CPR

2HP: 193# PR

Axle: 313# - Missed at 323 twice. PR

Weaver stick to rear: 11# plus the pin. PR

Medley: did not get blob (got a little air for first time) and 3 25's were not a lift. Did get a few things I was unable to lift in the contest 3 weeks ago.

All in all, I was extremely happy with all this. Need to work thickbar more and keep improving on my pinch.

Oh, I almost forgot. Certed on a bastard after contest. First one I ever did. http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/125201294...1092_973052.jpg

:D

Edited by Bullitt

Nationals were Saturday. Here's how I did vs. my stated goals above:

Gripper: Closed 166# BBE CPR

2HP: 193# PR

Axle: 313# - Missed at 323 twice. PR

Weaver stick to rear: 11# plus the pin. PR

Medley: did not get blob (got a little air for first time) and 3 25's were not a lift. Did get a few things I was unable to lift in the contest 3 weeks ago.

All in all, I was extremely happy with all this. Need to work thickbar more and keep improving on my pinch.

Oh, I almost forgot. Certed on a bastard after contest. First one I ever did. http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/125201294...1092_973052.jpg

:D

Congrats Mike! Lots of huge PR's! :rock

Those 'failed' bends are the most valuable workouts you can get.

Thanks Todd!

Worked on a huge bastard for several minutes last night. Wobbled it 4 or 5 degrees. After that, I had nothing in the tank to do anything else. :blush

Those 'failed' bends are the most valuable workouts you can get.
Thanks Todd!

Worked on a huge bastard for several minutes last night. Wobbled it 4 or 5 degrees. After that, I had nothing in the tank to do anything else. :blush

Surprised me how much harder it was with just 1" cut off. Still, as Gazza has told me, if it can be moved, it can be killed. :angry:

Did some pressing and bending last night after I got done with my RRBT gripper workout.

warmup:

Overhead press with 20lb kb: 1X10 each arm

Strict seated press:

135X8

185X3

205X1

225X0 (very close)

220X1 PR

Narrow grip bench:

185lbs X 3X10

Worked on the huge bastard after the pressing. I had wobbled it to about 4 dgerees last time. Took it to 7 degrees. Next session it dies. :rock

Edited by Bullitt

After discussing my weak axle with Andrew, I have decided to start bringing kettlebells back into my workouts to see if i can strengthen my posterior chain. Short term goal is to get to 80 rep set with each hand on KB swings with my 60 pounder. Did vbar and kettlebells last night.

1" vbar:

B/H: 97#

B/H: 167#

L/H:

237#Xfail

227X1 PR

R/H:

237X1

292Xfail - broke ground, but didn't get much air.

272X1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stGJLFKih60

Pretty sure I could have gone higher. 272 came up pretty easy. Unfortunately I lost a dime size chunk of skin on my palm so I shut it down.

Then to kettlebell hell.

Warmup:

Swings with 20lb KB:

B/H 1X10

R/H 1X10

L/H 1X10

Then switched to 60lb KB:

B/H 1X20

R/H 1X20

L/H 1X20

R/H 1X20

L/H 1X20

B/H 1X20

Cardio is going to be as big a factor getting to 80 rep swings as strength.

Side bends:

1X10 each side with 60# KB

Explosive high pulls from ground with 60# KB

1X10 each arm

Full range crunches on exercise ball:

1X20

Really feeling yesterday's workout through entire posterior chain. From hammies all the way to upper back. Quads feeling it as well. My 60 pounder as a relatively thin handle (about 1.25" diameter). I need to figure out a way to make it a little fatter to work my grip more. I'll save that for down the road though.

Way to be MIKEY! You're getting stronger every workout, bro! Great stuff! :rock

Really feeling yesterday's workout through entire posterior chain. From hammies all the way to upper back. Quads feeling it as well. My 60 pounder as a relatively thin handle (about 1.25" diameter). I need to figure out a way to make it a little fatter to work my grip more. I'll save that for down the road though.

wear gloves

wear gloves

Genius!!!

Had a very good pinch workout last night. Loaded Eatons 42.4lb blob to a table slightly higher than my waste 10 times each hand. Lifted it to table. Sat it down. Regripped and placed it back on the floor. Then I did a 10 second hold left hand and a 7 second hold right handed with it. After that I tied two 2.5lb plates to a rope and added them to the blob. Lifted that with each hand no problem. Then I put two 5 pound plates on rope and gave that a run. Got it above my knee lefty and about 12" off ground righty. I think I could have done a little better with a shorter string. It was a little too long and the weights swung a bit. Next time for sure.

After that I slid my homemade wrist roller over one end of my oly bar in the highest rack on my bench and did wrist curls. It's a piece of PVC with a 2" inside diameter and 2 3/8" outside diameter. Works well. Did a 45lb plate frontwards and backwards and then did it with 80lbs frontwards and backwards. After this and the pinching, my forearms were fried!

I'm also excited about a new purchase I made today. Bought a 7' section of reinforced, black, steel pipe from Home Depot with a 2" outside diameter. With the collars i bought for it, I now have a reasonable facsimile of an axle for just over $40. Gonna give it a run tonight or tomorrow. Right now I'm doing my RRBT gripper reps.

Edited by Bullitt

Good thinking on the homemade axle. I was working on making an Inch trainer today.

Did you ever find a Hex 100?

Good thinking on the homemade axle. I was working on making an Inch trainer today.

Did you ever find a Hex 100?

You'll have to post a picture of the inch trainer. Never did get a hex.

Workouts:

In addition to the below, I did a very large amount of gripper closes Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday:

1 arm axle deadlift:

110# X 1

180# X 1

200# X miss

Axle DLs:

180 X 6

200 X 5

230 X 3

270 X 3

300 X 1

Sunday: