Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Big Guy!

No birthday PRs today. The vbar was killing my back. I still tried 350 for fun, but between the sore back and no killer instinct it was a waste. I am 99% sure that the 1" vbar is 99% mental. After that I did some blob work and called it a night.

Guest Bullitt

Yea, plus I earned a nice blister on the hotspot. I think I stopped right before skin tear. :D

I do better when I have at least a week between vbar sessions. Otherwise, I don't think the skin fully heals. 3 days just did not feel like enough. My hand was screaming with just light weight on the bar. Next week, I'll give it another shot.

Pulling day:

Warmup:

Hip/leg/back mobility exercises

Kettlebell swings with 20 lb KB

Sumo pulls:

135X8

225X5

295X1

Traditional pulls:

365X1

415X1 PR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziUZD32AvwM

Stiff legged deads:

135X8

185X6

Then a quick superset of barbell rows and shrugs with 185 lbs X 10 each.

:rock:rock:rock

Guest Bullitt

Took yesterday off. Today I had to go in for some stupid meeting at work. Buddy of mine is moving to San Diego and he gave me his Gold's Gym pass that is good through the end of the year. Stopped by on my way home. Didn't stay long. Just rushed through as fast as I could because Melissa is home very, very sick.

Did some mobility exercises and some good mornings with an olympic bar.

Rack pulls from knee height:

135X10

225X8

315X6

405X2

495X1

550X nope :angry:

Pretty happy with the 495. I haven't done rack pulls in a long time and the lower back held up pretty well.

Then bodyweight (253) pullups X 6 and chinups X 6

Overhead presses:

BarX10

95X10

135X8 (last 3 were push presses)

Then I did some wierd bench press thing they had. I don't have chains or bands to overload the end of my presses, but they had a leverage bench press that you can load the weights to make it that weight at the beginning, middle, or end, with it being lighter everywhere else. I loaded it so it would ramp up to the weight at the end.

1 plate per side X10

2 plates per side X8

3 plates per side X3

3 45s and a 25 per side X1

I hate machines, but this was a pretty cool way to overload the last few inches and nobody there looked like someone I wanted to spot me anyway.

Also, here is the MM2 cert vid from Friday.

Guest Bullitt

My session today could be titled a day of near misses. Very frustrating. I did my grip workout on my deck outside. It was in the low 50s and that may have contributed to it. All in all, pretty darn good though, because my near misses were all on PR attempts:

1 arm axle deadlift:

110 X 3 reps with each hand

160 X 2 reps with each hand

180 X 1 r/h, X 2 misses l/h (got decent air, but couldn't quite get it to go)

202.5 X miss, miss, miss (got lots of air with all of them. The 2nd one might have been good, but I don't think I got it to knee height. locked my legs and controlled it to ground, but I don't believe it ever got high enough)

2HP (54mm pinch block)

102.7X3

147.7X1X1

187.7X1

202.7X 5 misses. Got air on all of them. Best was about 5" or 6" off the ground. On track for 205 on this before Christmas, which I believe will give me 210+ on the Euro.

1" vbar

97.2X2 B/H

167.2X1 B/H

257.2X1 B/H

282.2X1 R/H, X miss L/H (would have been a PR lefty)

317.2X1 R/H

342.2 X 3 misses (would have been a PR)

Then I hauled Eaton's 42.5# blob out there and lifted it as many times as I could in 3 minutes.

26 total: 14 left and 12 right. PR

First of all wishes for a quick recovery for your wife Mike.

Very strong workout at Golds...that 495 looked extremely easy!

That MM2 is smashed for good and I want to thank you for including me at your

acknowledgment list...I'm honoured.

Guest Bullitt

Glad to see you tried 342! You'll get it next time I bet. Maybe less warmup pulls?

yea, less of everything I think. Between the heavy rack pulls the day before and the 2HP and axle right before these, my back was the limiting factor as much as the hand. :blush My lower back is really feeling it today.

Guest Bullitt

Tonight's workout:

Mobility exercises: 10 min.

Good mornings with oly bar X10

Warmed up with some light squats. My lower back just hasn't felt right, so i didn't push it.

BarX10

95X10

135X10

185X5

Then I hit the gripper I just got from Sam. 178# 3.5. It needs some oil as it creaked and groaned the whole time, but I gave it 3 good squeezes with my right hand. All got down to about 1/4" or so.

Worked up to a vvn miss on my #3 with my left hand.

Then I switched to some pinch work.

10 attempts at doing a 45 lb hub and 50# York Blob double DL. Some were bad, Others got decent air. None were locked out. The blob with my left hand gave me the most trouble. Afterward, I pulled the blob twice lefty and hubbed the 45 with 5 lbs added, but couldn't get them both at same time. :angry:

Then I did some DO axle pulls, which turned out to be the highlight of the evening:

I didn't go for a 1RM because of my lower back. Instead I went for a different test. Back at the end of August, I was in the Lift at Jedd's qualifyer for the Grip Nationals. One of the events was number of times you could pull 300 DO on the axle in 1 minute. Sadly to say, my number was 1. :blush

Tonight:

110X3

180X1

250X1

300X4 in exactly 1 minute (Not much for some of you guys, but a big improvement for me) Best I had done for reps in the past was 270X3. Thanks to Rick Walker and the Diesel Crew Guys - Jedd & Smitty!!!

Here were the highlights:

What was the #1 for the 300 in 1 min?

Rico

Guest Bullitt

What was the #1 for the 300 in 1 min?

Rico

Um, there was a number for each rep home slice. 1, 2, 3, 4. :D

Thanks everyone. My DL form still has a ways to go but it has really improved with the help of Rick Walker, Smitty, and Jedd.

What ru talking about? Who had the most at jedds that day with 300?

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Rico

Oh I thought you were talking about the numbers on the video. :tongue

I think Frank and Jedd got 8 or 9. Barbe was right there too. Eaton's pecs cramped up :whacked at like 5 or 6. Goody got 2 and I brought up the rear with one. :blush

Guest Bullitt

Rico

Looked up the actual results from the comp:

Lift at Jedd's: August 29. 2009

DO Axle 300 for Reps in One Minute

Jedd 8

Frank 8

John 5

Brent 3

Bobby 2

Mike 1 :mosher:laugh

Impressive work Mike!

4 reps with that thing is really powerful...! :rock

Thanks buddy! Big improvement for me. As my Oly Bar deadlift increases, and my form slowly improves, these are getting easier.

Edited by Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Grippers in chokers are really coming around. Closed a much bigger gripper than I have EVER closed today. Did it twice choked slightly wider than parallel. Hopefully I can keep this progress up until Gripmas.

Tried the one arm, thumbless, oly deadlift tonight. 240# was my max. Big respect Ben! :bow . Pulled 280 with thumb, which is slightly down from my PR of 285.

Finished off with a bunch of sledge levering and deadlifting. Just hoping I don't embarass myself with these at Gripmas.