Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

I believe firmly that it wasn't grip failure...it seems to me like loss of concentration...

Great lifts Mike!

Guest Bullitt

I believe firmly that it wasn't grip failure...it seems to me like loss of concentration...

Great lifts Mike!

Thanks big guy!!! And Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

Great lifts Mike!

Thanks big guy!!! And Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

Merry Cristmas Mike. I wish the best for you and your family.

Very good workout tonight. Squats, grippers, 2HP.

Warmup and then:

Squats:

135X10

185X3

205X3

225X3

275X3 - stopped here as I wasn't getting the depth I wanted at this weight.

Then I went after the 178# 3.5 gripper I got from Sam Solomi:

miss, close, close, close. Squats really help grippers. period.

Then it was time to try out the new 2HP grip that Jedd coached me on after Gripmas. Figured I would work up to 170 or so just to get used to it. Nope... felt so good I pulled a new PR. Thanks Jedd!! :D

102.7X3

137.7X3

172.7X1X1

202.7X1 (PR)

205.2X4" of air.

Nice lift, nice vid!! Impressive work !! And I really like your pinch device.

Guest Bullitt

Hit Gold's for a quick workout this afternoon. I have the free membership until the end of the year, so I figured I better use it. You could really tell I hadn't done much of any overhead pressing for the last 2 - 3 months. It kind of went out the window with my Gripmas prep. Horrible push press numbers. Hopefully it will come back quickly.

Warm up

mobility exercises

shouldewr prehab

Push press:

barX10

95X8

135X5

185Xmiss, X1, Xmiss :angry: That was embarassing. :blush

Bench press (done on leverage type machine set to overload the end of the rep with the weight you have on the bar) These were to work my speed and explosiveness. Pretty happy with these.

1 plate per side: X10

2 plates per side: X8

3 plates per side: X3

3 plates & 25/side: X1

4 plates per side: X1 (PR on this)

Wide grip, upright barbell rows:

40X10

60X10

80X10

100X5

Single arm kettlebell overhead press:

24KGX8 ea. arm

32KGX5 rt. arm, 3 lft. arm

Stretching.

Definitely need to concentrate on my overhead strength. I was doing seated presses from pins at nose level with 225 in the fall.

Hit Gold's for a quick workout this afternoon. I have the free membership until the end of the year, so I figured I better use it. You could really tell I hadn't done much of any overhead pressing for the last 2 - 3 months. It kind of went out the window with my Gripmas prep. Horrible push press numbers. Hopefully it will come back quickly.

Warm up

mobility exercises

shouldewr prehab

Push press:

barX10

95X8

135X5

185Xmiss, X1, Xmiss :angry: That was embarassing. :blush

Bench press (done on leverage type machine set to overload the end of the rep with the weight you have on the bar) These were to work my speed and explosiveness. Pretty happy with these.

1 plate per side: X10

2 plates per side: X8

3 plates per side: X3

3 plates & 25/side: X1

4 plates per side: X1 (PR on this)

Wide grip, upright barbell rows:

40X10

60X10

80X10

100X5

Single arm kettlebell overhead press:

24KGX8 ea. arm

32KGX5 rt. arm, 3 lft. arm

Stretching.

Definitely need to concentrate on my overhead strength. I was doing seated presses from pins at nose level with 225 in the fall.

Nice workout Mike.

Don't worry for your overhead press numbers... As you said you had a preperation to do that didn't include sush an exercise. You'll see that when you start working for that, new PRs will surely come.

Just curious what kind of workout program are you using? What are you goals? Are you trying to get stronger, bigger, etc? I see that you want your dead and squat up. But dont see much core work or hams. I notice you only did 15 reps with straight deadlifts. You gotta have a strong core, glutes and hams if ya want big numbers in the squat and deadlift.

I also notice you havent signed up for golds yet. Maybe you should check this gym out in Rockville. If I only lived closer.

Supreme Sports Performance and Training (http://www.supremesportspt.com/) It's a great gym for powerlifters and olympic lifters located in Rockville, Maryland.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by AWWurPUScHURT

Guest Bullitt

Just curious what kind of workout program are you using? What are you goals? Are you trying to get stronger, bigger, etc? I see that you want your dead and squat up. But don’t see much core work or hams. I notice you only did 15 reps with straight deadlifts. You gotta have a strong core, glutes and hams if ya want big numbers in the squat and deadlift.

I also notice you haven’t signed up for golds yet. Maybe you should check this gym out in Rockville. If I only lived closer.

Supreme Sports Performance and Training (http://www.supremesportspt.com/) It's a great gym for powerlifters and olympic lifters located in Rockville, Maryland.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll check it out, but that's a bit too far for me as well. Grip is still my main focus and I have a 4 day per week program I developed for myself that I have been loosley following for about 6 months with great gains. On the strength side, I pretty much just wing it. I'm toying with the idea of doing the Ed Coan DL program in the new year, but not sure right now. I'm going back to a 5x5 bench program to finally get up over 300. I've knocked on the door twice, but have fallen short both times.

For core, I have been doing quite a bit of planks and the DLs, squats, and all the one arm pulls (axle, vbar, blobs) seem to have strengthened that up pretty well. For hammys I do stiff legged DLs, ham/glute raises on my wife's pretty pink exercise ball :blush , and simulated ham/glute machine by having the wife hold my ankles (plus the regular deads hit these as well). I also do a fair number of kettlebell swings, which seem to really hit the whole posterior chain including my hams.

My goals for this year:

Close #4

lift fatman blob

2HP 225

DO axle DL 400#

1" vbar 402#

DO oly deadlift 500#

Bench 315

Squat (deep): 315

finish top 3 in a grip contest

finish top 5 at Nationals or Gripmas.

Edited by Bullitt

Just curious what kind of workout program are you using? What are you goals? Are you trying to get stronger, bigger, etc? I see that you want your dead and squat up. But dont see much core work or hams. I notice you only did 15 reps with straight deadlifts. You gotta have a strong core, glutes and hams if ya want big numbers in the squat and deadlift.

I also notice you havent signed up for golds yet. Maybe you should check this gym out in Rockville. If I only lived closer.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll check it out, but that's a bit too far for me as well. Grip is still my main focus and I have a 4 day per week program I developed for myself that I have been loosley following for about 6 months with great gains. On the strength side, I pretty much just wing it. I'm toying with the idea of doing the Ed Coan DL program in the new year, but not sure right now. I'm going back to a 5x5 bench program to finally get up over 300. I've knocked on the door twice, but have fallen short both times.

For core, I have been doing quite a bit of planks and the DLs, squats, and all the one arm pulls (axle, vbar, blobs) seem to have strengthened that up pretty well. For hammys I do stiff legged DLs, ham/glute raises on my wife's pretty pink exercise ball :blush , and simulated ham/glute machine by having the wife hold my ankles (plus the regular deads hit these as well). I also do a fair number of kettlebell swings, which seem to really hit the whole posterior chain including my hams.

My goals for this year:

Close #4

lift fatman blob

2HP 225

DO axle DL 400#

1" vbar 402#

DO oly deadlift 500#

Bench 315

Squat (deep): 315

finish top 3 in a grip contest

finish top 5 at Nationals or Gripmas.

Those are some SERIOUS grip goals you have there, very impressive if you reach only half of them.

Whats the easiest and whats the hardest goal to achieve for you?

And why is the bench goal so low, cough cough. :calm

Anyway good luck for all of them. :mosher

Edited by FrankyBoy

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Franky.

Bench is so low because I'm weak at the bench. :laugh Honestly, it is the toughest exercise for me to make gains on, so I wanted to keep it very realistic.

Hardest goal of the bunch will be closing a #4. The new one i got is a rock. I was that far away from my 3.5 when I got it earlier this year and I closed that one, so who knows. Probably won't be this one (gotta be a good 210# or more), but if someone has a high 190s #4, I think I have an outside chance of getting it.

Easiest will be 402 on the 1" vbar I think. I'm already at 352. I would actually like to pull something close to 400 at our comp in May. That would be cool.

The rest are all attainable, but only with a lot of hard work.

The ones out of my control are the contest placings obviously. All I can do there is my best and hope it is good enough compared to the competition.

And I forgot to put my biggest goal on there (and probably the hardest to attain): have even more fun in 2010 with grip than I did in 2009.

That's a good list Mike and I'm sure you'll either meet or exceed those goals.

Here's to 2010!

Guest Bullitt

Squats & Grippers tonight:

Warmup:

mobility exercises

wall squats

good mornings with bar

Box Squats:

barX10

135X10

185X5

205 3X3

185X18 (my oxygen depleted brain counted 20 :laugh )

In between sets I closed my 3.5for 5 singles. Then did 2 overcrushes with it.

Edited by Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Now Mike, we need to work on that Bench man........Speed,speed,speed!! Where does it seem like you get stuck?

halfway up. When i go to Gold's I have been using the machine that overloads the last half of the rep and work on speed there. I probably should invest in some bands or chains. So many toys that i want. :laugh

Now Mike, we need to work on that Bench man........Speed,speed,speed!! Where does it seem like you get stuck?

halfway up. When i go to Gold's I have been using the machine that overloads the last half of the rep and work on speed there. I probably should invest in some bands or chains. So many toys that i want. :laugh

Board presses on 2/3 boards will help a TON!! Easy to build also....Lemme know, I'll send you how I made mine

Guest Bullitt

Best workout I've had in a long time.

Warmup:

Mobility exercises

stretching

good mornings with axle

DO Axle Deadlifts:

110X3

180X3

250X1

300X1

350X1 (PR) Freakin camera didn't start. :angry:

DO Oly bar Deadlifts:

225X1

365X1

445Xmiss

445Xmiss

441X1 (PR) Really happy to come back and hit this after missing twice at 445. Form wasn't great on this one. Hips came up too quick, but was able to grind through it and finish the lift for the new PR. Legs were starting to feel it by this one after squats yesterday. Here it is:

Then Barbell Rows:

225X8

225X8

300X5 (PR) superset with 5 shrugs when I ran out of gas on the rows.

Probably the best workout I've ever had. Great way to end the year. Now time to drop down a bit and start building for my next run at some PRs.

Guest Bullitt

Nice pull Mike!! I see 450 in your near future sir! I also see a 315 bench fairly soon.........

Thanks bro! Was going to bench tonight, but I wanted to wait until I had some boards to try out. Gonna hit HD tomorrow. :D