Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Thanks guys. Sometimes it takes us old dogs a while to learn new tricks. :blush But we keep on plugging away until we figure it out. :D John's been critiquing my attempts (busting my balls) for a few weeks now. Between him and Goody, it is actually starting to look like i may figure this setting stuff out. I would still be barely closing my #3 if it wasn't for these guys. Everybody on this board is great. Guys like Teemu, John, Aaron and Mr. Sorin give me advice. Hammy, Goody, Frank, Todd, Michael and so many others push me. I am definitely a group project and a grateful student. Now I just hope I can put all this together and not blow the Mm1 cert. ;)

Edited by Bullitt

Thanks guys. Sometimes it takes us old dogs a while to learn new tricks. :blush But we keep on plugging away until we figure it out. :D John's been critiquing my attempts (busting my balls) for a few weeks now. Between him and Goody, it is actually starting to look like i may figure this setting stuff out. I would still be barely closing my #3 if it wasn't for these guys. Everybody on this board is great. Guys like Teemu, John, Aaron and Mr. Sorin give me advice. Hammy, Goody, Frank, Todd, Michael and so many others push me. I am definitely a group project and a grateful student. Now I just hope I can put all this together and not blow the Mm1 cert. ;)

You'll nail that cert! No worries Mike!

Guest Bullitt

Today was Day 2 of the bench press program Mr. Sorin designed for me. He has asked that I include a little information that I haven't been in my log to help me track my progress and so he has an idea of how I'm doing. The overall goal is a 300Lb bench by Thursday of week 9. This is Thursday of week 1.

Felt a little low on energy before the workout. I think it's from the deads yesterday. As the workout went on, my energy level fell a lot more than usual. Note to self, do not do deads the day before a Monday or Thursday bench workout. I ended up having to take about 30 seconds longer between sets to recover on the pressing movements. Richard says i have to have complete focus on each rep so I took a little more time and ground it out. I also had some soreness in my brachialis area. Today was singles on the bench. All reps except first two warmup sets were performed with strict form, full range of motion, pause at the bottom, explosive press:

Flat Bench Press:

Warmups:

barX20

95X10

135X3

185X1 (this may be too big of a jump - where my brachialis started hurting a bit)

195X1

205X1

215X1 (this went up so fast I actually had to grab it tight at the top because it felt like it would have flown out of my hands. Very different from my old slow reps)

Work sets:

240X1 (This was supposed to be 230X1. When I pressed it, it felt heavier than it should, I forgot to take off the 5 from each side) :blush

195X4

Incline press (Richard stressed to me today to use a full range of motion if i can on seated and incline press. These were paused reps all the way down to my upper chest, with explosive press:

175X6 (Judging from my energy level, I felt this was a bit heavy so i lowered for last 3 sets)

165X6

165X6

165X6 (Good thing I lowered it ;) )

Bent over rows (DOH, full extension, pull into lower belly, Squeezed shoulder blades together for 1 count at top):

155X6

155X6

155X6

155X6

Hammer curls (did these with handled plates to work wrist as well):

25 (each hand)X6 (felt easy so I bumped it for next set)

35X6

35X6 (Didn't like my form on last couple reps so I dropped it back down for last set)

25X6

Energy was coming back a bit at the end of workout, but I definitely should not do heavy deads day before these workouts.

Guest Bullitt

Also got the urge and hit the 3.5 twice and then my Elite once after the above workout. Time for a break. All three attempts were at 1/8. I'll hit these again Saturday if Goody comes over. If not I will probably wait until Sunday. I want to get a close on video and unless I take a day or more off, I won't.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Hammy.

Here are some thoughts from the first week of using the plan Richard developed for me:

- I am only going to do other lifting (Squats or deads) on Tuesday or Saturday. Doing deads the day before my workout took way too much out of me.

- I need to pay more attention to what weight is on the bar. I got away with my mistake yesterday (accidentally using 240 instead of 230), but I need to be more careful. Could be the difference between a made lift, or a miss, especially as the weights go up).

- My explosiveness on the press is already getting better. My warmup rep with 215 yesterday literally would have left my hands at the top of the press had i not been holding the bar tight. Such a huge difference than my old slower style.

- Need to not jump too high, too quickly on warmup sets. Going from 135 to 185 for my first paused rep with explosion hurt my brachialis a bit yesterday. Not a lot, but I felt it the rest of the workout in both arms. Probably should have done one with 155 in there.

That's all good stuff, Mike. I'm glad to see you're taking a strict technical approach to Richard's workout. I'm sure you'll see increased gains in strength and explosiveness by following his program in great detail. :rock

Guest Bullitt

1st week feedback from Richard:

Rest and recouperation is the key for this workout with all building on the week following the 50% active rest week. Remember medium and smooth as far as intensity on the auxillary lifts and the squat will stimulate your overall metabolism. So, they are an integral part as well of the plan. Most of all you being focused AND fresh for each bench assault workout is key. Some tips: the arms are like pistons ideally the forearm being a non changing angle (vertical and piston-like) and the upper arm being the part of the limb that changes angle and provides force.Keep your shoulder blades tucked tight together,deep full breath prior to lift, neck flat on bench, have the wrists relitively straight (not bent back) and lastly the grip you take should place the bar in a diagonal position across your palm (not straight across). Let me know if you have any questions. RS

--------------------

Richard Sorin, Sorinex Equipment

SORINEX.com

1st week feedback from Richard:

Rest and recouperation is the key for this workout with all building on the week following the 50% active rest week. Remember medium and smooth as far as intensity on the auxillary lifts and the squat will stimulate your overall metabolism. So, they are an integral part as well of the plan. Most of all you being focused AND fresh for each bench assault workout is key. Some tips: the arms are like pistons ideally the forearm being a non changing angle (vertical and piston-like) and the upper arm being the part of the limb that changes angle and provides force.Keep your shoulder blades tucked tight together,deep full breath prior to lift, neck flat on bench, have the wrists relitively straight (not bent back) and lastly the grip you take should place the bar in a diagonal position across your palm (not straight across). Let me know if you have any questions. RS

--------------------

Richard Sorin, Sorinex Equipment

SORINEX.com

I think the elbow correction I was talking to you about will allow the grip placement Mr. Sorin is talking about here, Mike. That is amazing stuff, bro.

Guest Bullitt
I think the elbow correction I was talking to you about will allow the grip placement Mr. Sorin is talking about here, Mike. That is amazing stuff, bro.

I think you are right, and how I actually grab the bar. Richard asked me to incorporate his coaching into my log on this journey to 300 on the bench, so here were his answers to two questions i had.

Two questions Richard:

1. How important is an arch. After two back surgeries, my lower back is a bit inflexible. I use a foam roller sometimes to help train the arch, but in reality, I don't have much of an arch at all.

2. Can you explain in a little more detail the part about the bar being positioned diagonally across the palm?

I am already starting to feel a difference in my pressing. The explosiveness is actually somewhat explosive, which is a big difference. HAHA

Mike, in regard to your two questions, Your body is like a bow and really the MOST inportant thing in the bench is the thrust from the arch of your body as a wave transmitted from your LEGS. It is actually an up and back wave of force transmitted through the legs then torso BEFORE the bar leaves your chest (NOT as many do AFTER the bar is off your chest). I understand your back problems perhaps tape a folded towel to the lower back area on both the bench and Incline will add support and a slight arch.Make sure feet ar drawn back as far as possible towards bench then, heels pushed down to contact floor. Next, a very common error is misalignment of the force suppot providers in the bench. If you grip the bar first (while holding the wrist straight as possible in the web of your hand then instead of grasping the bar in a position that goes straight across the palm,the hand is shifted so that it crossed in a diagonal pattern angling toward the heel of the hand at the top of the wrist. A little practice will gie you a solid piston like stroke while reducing wrist and forearm stress and pain. Think of any press or squat as an alignment of providing forces ..the more direct, the more efficient, the LESS angles or angle change during the lift increases the efficiency and available transmission of power. Onward! RS

Thanks!

I think you are right, and how I actually grab the bar. Richard asked me to incorporate his coaching into my log on this journey to 300 on the bench, so here were his answers to two questions i had.

Two questions Richard:

1. How important is an arch. After two back surgeries, my lower back is a bit inflexible. I use a foam roller sometimes to help train the arch, but in reality, I don't have much of an arch at all.

2. Can you explain in a little more detail the part about the bar being positioned diagonally across the palm?

I am already starting to feel a difference in my pressing. The explosiveness is actually somewhat explosive, which is a big difference. HAHA

Mike, in regard to your two questions, Your body is like a bow and really the MOST inportant thing in the bench is the thrust from the arch of your body as a wave transmitted from your LEGS. It is actually an up and back wave of force transmitted through the legs then torso BEFORE the bar leaves your chest (NOT as many do AFTER the bar is off your chest). I understand your back problems perhaps tape a folded towel to the lower back area on both the bench and Incline will add support and a slight arch.Make sure feet ar drawn back as far as possible towards bench then, heels pushed down to contact floor. Next, a very common error is misalignment of the force suppot providers in the bench. If you grip the bar first (while holding the wrist straight as possible in the web of your hand then instead of grasping the bar in a position that goes straight across the palm,the hand is shifted so that it crossed in a diagonal pattern angling toward the heel of the hand at the top of the wrist. A little practice will gie you a solid piston like stroke while reducing wrist and forearm stress and pain. Think of any press or squat as an alignment of providing forces ..the more direct, the more efficient, the LESS angles or angle change during the lift increases the efficiency and available transmission of power. Onward! RS

Thanks!

Receiving individual coaching advice from Richard Sorin...to say I'm jealous would be the understatement of the friggin' millennium. :rock

Guest Bullitt
Receiving individual coaching advice from Richard Sorin...to say I'm jealous would be the understatement of the friggin' millennium. :rock

I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. My apartment smells of rich mahogany. :laugh Just kidding bro. i know what you mean. I am humbled and really can't believe it myself. He's a great guy. Not many people with his background would take the time to help a schmuck like me hit a goal like this. Richard wanted me to post his coaching on here so others can take advantage of it as well. If i get some time tonight, I'll put down the whole plan, so you can take a look.

I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. My apartment smells of rich mahogany. :laugh Just kidding bro. i know what you mean. I am humbled and really can't believe it myself. He's a great guy. Not many people with his background would take the time to help a schmuck like me hit a goal like this. Richard wanted me to post his coaching on here so others can take advantage of it as well. If i get some time tonight, I'll put down the whole plan, so you can take a look.

Awesome. A true sign of someone great is not only their ability to succeed; but, their ability to help others succeed.

Guest Bullitt

As promised, here is the plan Mr. Sorin put together to help me get to a 300lb bench:

- 2 days per week pressing

- Squats or deadlifts on an off day, which will help overall metabolism

- All full range, paused reps, explosive press

- 5th week is active rest (50% of weight used week 4)

- Accessory lifts to be done after bench (don't kill yourself on these) - all 4X6

- Monday: seated press, lat pulldown or pullups, hammer curls

- Thursday: incline press (30 to 40 deg.), bent over rows, hammer curls

Week... Monday... Thursday

1.......... 215X2..... 230X1

............ 190X4..... 195X4

2.......... 225X2..... 240X1

............ 200X4..... 205X4

3.......... 235X2..... 250X1

............ 210X4..... 215X4

4.......... 245X2..... 260X1

............ 220X4..... 225X4

5 Active rest

6.......... 255X2..... 270X1

............ 230X4..... 235X4

7.......... 265X2..... 280X1

............ 240X4..... 245X4

8.......... 275X2..... 290X1

............ 250X4..... 255X4

9.......... 285X2..... 300X1 (If this is easy, do a double, or wait a few minutes and bump the weight up)

............ 260X4..... 265X4

My current max is 275.

Crud, you better not beat me :angry::laugh

You better push Frank. Or all us "old" guys are gonna beat ya! :D

Guest Bullitt

Squats & grip day:

60lb kettlebell sumo style for warmup

Box squats (pause at bottom):

135X10

185X10

225X15 (PR)

Ham glute raises on exercise ball

1X15

Grippers:

3.5: 3Xmiss (closest was about 1/16th when I froze the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXMy0kIpMk

Elite: 3Xmiss (closest was almost touching. Maybe a mm or so. Will try these first next workout)

#3 Penny Hold: 1X19 seconds (PR)

Good day. The 3.5 and Elite will go down on video this month! :rock

Good luck :) You will get it!!!!

As promised, here is the plan Mr. Sorin put together to help me get to a 300lb bench:

- 2 days per week pressing

- Squats or deadlifts on an off day, which will help overall metabolism

- All full range, paused reps, explosive press

- 5th week is active rest (50% of weight used week 4)

- Accessory lifts to be done after bench (don't kill yourself on these) - all 4X6

- Monday: seated press, lat pulldown or pullups, hammer curls

- Thursday: incline press (30 to 40 deg.), bent over rows, hammer curls

Week... Monday... Thursday

1.......... 215X2..... 230X1

............ 190X4..... 195X4

2.......... 225X2..... 240X1

............ 200X4..... 205X4

3.......... 235X2..... 250X1

............ 210X4..... 215X4

4.......... 245X2..... 260X1

............ 220X4..... 225X4

5 Active rest

6.......... 255X2..... 270X1

............ 230X4..... 235X4

7.......... 265X2..... 280X1

............ 240X4..... 245X4

8.......... 275X2..... 290X1

............ 250X4..... 255X4

9.......... 285X2..... 300X1 (If this is easy, do a double, or wait a few minutes and bump the weight up)

............ 260X4..... 265X4

My current max is 275.

Edited by stump

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Stump. Hope so! This seemed to incorporate all the stuff you guys were telling me I needed to do. Plus, how lucky am I to have Richard put this together for me?!?! Wow.

Anyway, I was mad after just missing my 3.5 yesterday. So after a large starbucks with 2shots of espresso, I gave it another run.

1Xmiss: (1/8)

1Xmiss (1/16)

1X :D (pretty sure they touched. I was shakin so much the video was inconclusive. I even took some video captures, and they look closed, but again, I was moving around so much that the pics were too blury to be conclusive.) I will get a good solid video of the 3.5 and Elite going down soon for you guys.

Thanks Stump. Hope so! This seemed to incorporate all the stuff you guys were telling me I needed to do. Plus, how lucky am I to have Richard put this together for me?!?! Wow.

Anyway, I was mad after just missing my 3.5 yesterday. So after a large starbucks with 2shots of espresso, I gave it another run.

1Xmiss (1/16)

1X :D (pretty sure they touched. I was shakin so much the video was inconclusive. I even took some video captures, and they look closed, but again, I was moving around so much that the pics were too blury to be conclusive.) I will get a good solid video of the 3.5 and Elite going down soon for you guys.

You'll get it any day soon :D

Guest Bullitt

1Xmiss (1/16)

You'll get it any day soon :D

Thanks John. I tried a couple today, but everything is fried. Day after I do penny holds/overcrushes everything is toast. I'm going to take a day or two off and give it another run later in the week.

Damn man! Nice work!

I'm still miles away from closing my #3.5. :(

Guest Bullitt

Damn man! Nice work!

I'm still miles away from closing my #3.5. :(

Thanks bro! So was I about a month ago. But having Goody and Eaton work with me on my set has made a HUGE difference. It felt weird at first, and I haven't perfected it yet, but I would guess it has added 10 - 15lbs of close to my grip, easy. Watch John Eaton's and Paul Knight's video on setting. It may give you a boost.

John's:

paul's