Strict Standing Curl Number?

Pancake Sprawl

Here's 70 lefty... Not satisfied with it :dry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6R8kLXzZ0

that looked pretty good to me magnus that sholder move is hard not to do . i think next you guys should do a post on anyway anyhow curls or as i call them matrix curls like dodging the bullet in the movie the matrix as long as you get the weight up and see what numbers you get and what reps just like the barbarian brothers :D

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkeypaws

• Magnus

• jad

• Pancake Sprawl

Here's 70 lefty... Not satisfied with it :dry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6R8kLXzZ0

I don't want to sound offensive because that was a strong lift, but......

From what I was reading what strict is, and from what i think strict is, that is not even close. I mimicked that curl and was able to do 77 pounds, but doing what I would call a real strict curl I can only do 65 (did this at the gym today and the 77 at my house just now.) In fact, I feel I could do more that 80 using the same technique and body movement.

It was a lot of dipping and shoulder movement.

I'll be honest, good on ya for having the balls to post for the sake of discussion.

Now, the range of the curl wasn't "bad" but in the beginnings the weight got moving because of a foward lean and explosive type of move.

It is pretty good and most will agree, but I take the weight from the bottom with no momentum and no foward lean and strength it up........maybe why I am having a hard time getting to 100.

I agree with Dan.......some movement is inevitable, wheather it be shoulders, back, or elbow..........it just matters to what degree and the factor they play in the curl.

I am bugging my girlfriend to post, I think they are pretty good and explanatory................and SLOW.............the weight moves slow but it is not momentumed 1 bit.

Anyhow, great strength and video, but try to control it a bit and see the difference.

You might see that 70 is a little too hard and 60-65 might be a nice controlled max.

PS. I grabbed my sisters scale and the db in the vid came in at 87lbs

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed :dry Form always seems to feel better than it looks on video :blush I got 60 very strict (like my 50 video), and 68 somewhere in the middle. I'll see what I can do after a few weeks of doing some serious training again. New video next week :) Thanks for the input anyway...

Edited by Magnus

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed :dry Form always seems to feel better than it looks on video :blush I got 60 very strict (like my 50 video), and 68 somewhere in the middle. I'll see what I can do after a few weeks of doing some serious training again. New video next week :) Thanks for the input anyway...

Thats something that I did not think of, when i tried it my form may have been worse even though I thought I was doing the same. i will have to post a video of me to see if I am even doing as good as I thought. You did control it very well on the way down.

Congrats though on being the first to really put up a video!

so true, I did like 4 takes just to make sure because you feel as if you don't move at all........then you see the video.

here is a good way to do a real strict curl stand away from the wall where your finger tips are just about 4' inches from touching the wall lean over a bit place your hand on the wall and do the curl that takes away all the body english and swing being that the weight is starting slightly ahead of your hips and no leg drive

i'll throw up my vid and share thoughts, I think it translates to all power and no alternate drive.

Basically you only cheat a weight that is too heavy for you. If I put a set of 10s in anyones hand and tell em to do some warm ups.......do you think there will be any drive, momentum, or swing ? of course not.....it is a managable weight, but put that same weight in a 4 year olds hand and tell em to do 10...........its kinda funny.................looks like us all when we get an unmanagable weight.

The big hurdle here is the male ego, we have a preconceived notion of what is "strong" and we all wanna be strong. So what do we do ? we climb the weight rack and sling huge dumbell after huge dumbell without ever being able to handle some of the lesser weights in the first place.

We need to be real with where we really stand and what we really can handle.

Rob out of curiosity, how is your strict hammer compared to your regular? I've always been way stronger on the hammer, but I have seen some people who weren't.

Rob out of curiosity, how is your strict hammer compared to your regular? I've always been way stronger on the hammer, but I have seen some people who weren't.

about the same.......90 on a fresh day

Am I the only one dying to see Rob's videos???

Magnus, watch both videos you have posted, one after the other.

First, watch your 50# curl:

Then, watch your 70# curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6R8kLXzZ0

There is a very big difference in how your body moved during these two curls. Just watch 'em both and realize.

Specifically, check out the BEGGINING of the movement. One of the toughest parts is the very beggining with your arm straight. I haven't seen Rob's videos so I dunno how strict he is, but he said himself his curl doesn't begin with momentum, but curling power. Check your 70# curl video, you lean your torso forward, and watch the speed at which your elbow bends at start. It bends because of the momentum, not just coz of curling power.

And before anyone accuses me of anything (since I'm just discussing this, not arguing I'm strong or stronger than anyone here), I tried strict hammer curls (very strict) and got 45# for at least 3-4 strict reps. Didn't film though, so maybe I'm fooling myself and they were not too strict? Heh. 2.5 years ago when I first hit the gym I had to use 15#'s for my left hand curls and 25# for my right, so at least I'm improving bit by bit. Maybe in a few years... :D

Just as a note, I never meant to say that my 70 was strict. I just used that to show what I could currently do with 70, not that it was a strict curl, which is why I said I wasn't happy with it when I posted (and said it wasn't strict in the description).

No :D

Edited by Magnus

I'm working on getting it posted.

hopefully today, i'm buggin my girlfriend to upload them and post...........if not I'll try to figure it out..............sit tight.

I'm working on getting it posted.

hopefully today, i'm buggin my girlfriend to upload them and post...........if not I'll try to figure it out..............sit tight.

What are you using?

Magnus, watch both videos you have posted, one after the other.

First, watch your 50# curl:

Then, watch your 70# curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6R8kLXzZ0

There is a very big difference in how your body moved during these two curls. Just watch 'em both and realize.

Specifically, check out the BEGGINING of the movement. One of the toughest parts is the very beggining with your arm straight. I haven't seen Rob's videos so I dunno how strict he is, but he said himself his curl doesn't begin with momentum, but curling power. Check your 70# curl video, you lean your torso forward, and watch the speed at which your elbow bends at start. It bends because of the momentum, not just coz of curling power.

And before anyone accuses me of anything (since I'm just discussing this, not arguing I'm strong or stronger than anyone here), I tried strict hammer curls (very strict) and got 45# for at least 3-4 strict reps. Didn't film though, so maybe I'm fooling myself and they were not too strict? Heh. 2.5 years ago when I first hit the gym I had to use 15#'s for my left hand curls and 25# for my right, so at least I'm improving bit by bit. Maybe in a few years... :D

I was quick to jump on this as well. Too quick and I apologize Frank. It even says in the youtube description that it was not strict. Judging by the control on the way down though I would guess he is not very far off from this being as strict as his 50 pound curl which I think will be more strict than anyone posting. No movement at all on that one. Keep up the good work Frank!

I tried the heavy curls - I did them BB style - that is I watched myself in the mirror - shirt off and everything hehe! 60# went each hand with what I would call strict form - 65# almost went left hand (I'm RH). Because the thread is about strict curling 100# - I tried a negative with my 100# DB - both hands up and a very fast "lower" (think drop like a rock). 100 is not in my future no matter how long I train. I think 65 is very possible as this was done after a workout and without having done any actual curls in years. You monsters - Good Luck - that 100 was heavy!

Ok, getting it up on youtube, it seems to be taking really long to upload though.

On a side note, I watched the Magnus video again. I am a big Magnus fan and have huge respect for his power, but he was slinging up what looked like 80s and the 45kg isometric hold was giving him trouble............and his forearm never went parallel to the floor where the load is at the max.

Not to toot my own horn, but I can easily duplicate these..and then some...........I regularly grab 120 to do reps with on a preacher and as far as doing an iso like he did.............I don't even know where to start, the dbs in the gyms I go to don't go over 120 ........and that is cake.

I can't even attempt the 300 curl............way to hard on my back and straight bars hurt my wrist really bad.............so much respect to him for being overall to even sling that weight

Ok, getting it up on youtube, it seems to be taking really long to upload though.

On a side note, I watched the Magnus video again. I am a big Magnus fan and have huge respect for his power, but he was slinging up what looked like 80s and the 45kg isometric hold was giving him trouble............and his forearm never went parallel to the floor where the load is at the max.

Not to toot my own horn, but I can easily duplicate these..and then some...........I regularly grab 120 to do reps with on a preacher and as far as doing an iso like he did.............I don't even know where to start, the dbs in the gyms I go to don't go over 120 ........and that is cake.

I can't even attempt the 300 curl............way to hard on my back and straight bars hurt my wrist really bad.............so much respect to him for being overall to even sling that weight

Are those full range reps(arm completely extended)?

No, I go to at least parallel to the floor where you feel the real weight, but I don't totally straighten my arm.

I do however feel the full 120 at some point.

Preachers , and holds make me laugh bucause very rarely....even in Magnus' video do you see the forearm go lower than 2 o'clock, most of the time the forearm is close to straight up and this is only really making you feel a fraction of the weight.

I was quick to jump on this as well. Too quick and I apologize Frank. It even says in the youtube description that it was not strict. Judging by the control on the way down though I would guess he is not very far off from this being as strict as his 50 pound curl which I think will be more strict than anyone posting. No movement at all on that one. Keep up the good work Frank!

I am by no means attacking Frank ("Magnus" in here)! His 50# curl did seem like he dominated the weight easily, props to him! :)

However, Strongmantobe, I think you're wrong about judging how close to strict curling the 70# he is, because he lowered it in control. Don't studies show that you can handle about 30% more weight on the negative portion of exercises?? This is just for the sake of arguing, I think Frank is a nice guy and all :)

alright, I wanna flip................my videos won't load onto youtube.............i been tryin for an hour

How big are they, monkeypaws?

When I record myself with my digital camera, and import the video to the computer, sometimes I would get like a 70 Mb file for a 40 seconds video. That will take a long time to upload to youtube. Using Windows MovieMaker (it comes with Windows) I can reduce the filesize drastically, like 4Mb for the same video, then the upload to youtube is quicker.

ok, thanks. I'll try it, there are 2 and both about 1:30..............i did a little talkin

ok, I just edited it down, seems I did a little more talkin than I thought.

I had to cut down other attempts and explanations, but I did get the weights and curl as well as a half curl and hold.

I wasn't warm when I did this and was fairly sore to begin with.....so overall I am happy that I got this up.

Edit. in the video I breakdown the weight increments and they sound as if it adds up to 80lbs.........but when I say another 5, I meant to say 5 on each side as in 10 more lbs.

it breaks down as 2-25s,2-5s, 2-4.4kg,1-2.2kg, and bar and collars a minimum 3lbs...........I did later weigh it.....87lbs.

we can call it 85 for sure.

I think all fresh and healed I might get over 90..............finally.

I'll post as soon as it is done loading, still going slow

here it is

Edited by monkeypaws