Strict Standing Curl Number?

Pancake Sprawl

Doesn't Magnus Samuelsson BB curl over 300 pounds? I'm sure that is using some body english, but would it not be conceivable for him to do 100 strict with one arm?

Again, hearsay.

Conceivable? Yes.

I want to see it. I've heard claims for 20+ years. ;)

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

Go to 0:39. 308 x 4.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkeypaws

• Magnus

• jad

• Pancake Sprawl

Doesn't Magnus Samuelsson BB curl over 300 pounds? I'm sure that is using some body english, but would it not be conceivable for him to do 100 strict with one arm?

Again, hearsay.

Conceivable? Yes.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

Strongest arms DVD. Sven Karlsen does it with no warmup for a few reps.. Not strict but freakish strong. Someone get Aaron in here to tell you what he curled :D

Edit- Was talking about 2 arms in previous post LOL

Edited by Wes

And here's something kinda dumb I just did a few minutes ago. Not a max, just playing to show my form. I haven't attempted a max for months, and I can feel I've lost quite a bit (hopefully I'll gain it back soon enough :dry ). As a matter of fact, I just yesterday got done carrying my stuff back in the house that's been in the garage since fire (that's the corner where my stuff used to be)

Edited by Magnus

Again, hearsay.

Conceivable? Yes.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

Strongest arms DVD. Sven Karlsen does it with no warmup for a few reps.. Not strict but freakish strong. Someone get Aaron in here to tell you what he curled :D

That was Magnus doing it ;)

But what did Aaron curl? I know I'm gonna be kickin' myself for asking this :D

Edited by Magnus

OMG yall are hopeless.....................

I have never seen a 45kg strict db curl too.

Rob, are you training those kind of curls on a regular basis? Do you think it is helpful for armwrestling as a raw arm strength exercise?

I would like to know what Denis Cyplenkov can db curl strictly. He seems to have probably the strongest biceps in armwrestling.

Again, hearsay.

Conceivable? Yes.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

Go to 0:39. 308 x 4.

I own that DVD.

I'm looking for the strict one arm DB curl.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

And here's something kinda dumb I just did a few minutes ago. Not a max, just playing to show my form. I haven't attempted a max for months, and I can feel I've lost quite a bit (hopefully I'll gain it back soon enough :dry ). As a matter of fact, I just yesterday got done carrying my stuff back in the house that's been in the garage since fire (that's the corner where my stuff used to be)

The form is correct.

When you're back up to 90lbs. as you claim,

then send another video.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

How so? I've only simply said that I think 100lb is possible, and linked to a video I though Joe was asking about. Nothing else.

I own that DVD.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

Ah, sorry. I thought you meant the barbell curls.

The form is correct.

then send another video.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

I've never claimed 90lb!!! :blink

ROB said he did 90, I never said it :ohmy

Edited by Magnus

Again, hearsay.

Conceivable? Yes.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

That was Magnus doing it ;)

But what did Aaron curl? I know I'm gonna be kickin' myself for asking this :D

In one of the earlier sets Sven walks up and does it for a few reps.. Thought it was the 300 but it was one of the earlier ones.. 275 or something

Florian, I do a regular curls alot. I like them because I think they are good for endurance and strength . I feel that if you do only locks you are more prone to injury if you get stretched out.

and even if someone does 100lbs............fine...maybe denis cyplenkov is just the man to do it......we can all agree that he is an exceptional human being...........so just because he might be able to do it doesn't make it any less rare.

Back to the point I was making..........pancake sprawl wanted to curl a 130lber and people were telling him he could do it............I say that this is very misleading.

I think the man who curls a 130lber will be a genetic strength giant and be able to handle a 90lb out of the gates with no drugs and prior workout history.......so when he finally starts to train and supplement another 40lbs is plausible.............but it is still a huge strength gain to make in that movement.

How so? I've only simply said that I think 100lb is possible, and linked to a video I though Joe was asking about. Nothing else.

I own that DVD.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

Ah, sorry. I thought you meant the barbell curls.

The form is correct.

then send another video.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

I've never claimed 90lb!!! :blink

ROB said he did 90, I never said it :ohmy

You're correct Magnus.

My apologies.

Mighty Joe

and even if someone does 100lbs............fine...maybe denis cyplenkov is just the man to do it......we can all agree that he is an exceptional human being...........so just because he might be able to do it doesn't make it any less rare.

Rob, nobody said it's not rare, just that it's not impossible...that's all.

You're correct Magnus.

My apologies.

Mighty Joe

Np :cool

Just looking around a bit it's very hard to find a genuine strict DB curl of any weight on youtube.

Just looking around a bit it's very hard to find a genuine strict DB curl of any weight on youtube.

I've noticed that myself.

Mighty Joe

Here's what you do:

Go grab a DB handle without any weight on it.

With either arm of your choosing, standing, hold the DB at

hang arm position to your side with your palm facing forwards.

Now, with nothing but bicep curling power, curl the DB till your

knuckles are pointing straight up.

While curling, DO NOT bend back in any way, DO NOT use body swing,

STRICTLY, curl the DB. If you'd like put your back against a wall.

Easy right? NOW, add 100 lbs. and duplicate the process. I think everyone here knows

what Rob means here.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying I've never seen it done. Never seen a

video of it being done. Only hearsay that it's been done.

Mighty Joe

If you put your back against the wall, won't your elbow be braced? Are you just going to hold it an inch or so off the wall and then not let it move forward/up at all during the curl? I don't think curling gets much stricter than a concentration curl or preacher bench. Sure if you're leaning back or putting your legs into it on the preacher bench but I mean doing it the right way. To clarify; I don't believe that you use any more bicep during standing curls than with preacher bench or concentration curls.

It's going to take a lot more than biceps to one arm curl a 100#db in the standing position. With your body being offloaded 100# and no support it's going to take an awful lot of muscle control not to engage anything else; it's just natural.. Also; are you taking elbow movement into your definition of strict? To clarify, if the elbow moves forward/up, does that negate the lift? If so, good luck doing it standing. Better start doing some serious core work and shoulder stabilization exercises.

just curl the friggin weight.......simple.

Everyone goes all professor on this garbage...................people have no trouble doing it with 25s 45s 60s......do it the same way with a 100......it isn't science.

If your elbow moves a little fine, if you have to offset the heavy load and lean a little ...fine.............this is ordinary with curling, we all know the difference between natural stabilizing and elbow movement and swinging...........or do we?

Actually, even with light weights I think my elbow always moves some.......so no biggie there.

preacher curls are another angle and game.

Rob, nobody said it's not rare, just that it's not impossible...that's all.

You're correct Magnus.

My apologies.

Mighty Joe

Np :cool

I already went over this, of course it isn't impossible, neither is a 150lber, and like I said a page ago neither is running the 100 in under 9 secs.............I never seen it.....many longtime strength vets and historians have never seen it.....sooooooooo................I never said it was impossible..........please reread.

Here's what you do:

Go grab a DB handle without any weight on it.

With either arm of your choosing, standing, hold the DB at

hang arm position to your side with your palm facing forwards.

Now, with nothing but bicep curling power, curl the DB till your

knuckles are pointing straight up.

While curling, DO NOT bend back in any way, DO NOT use body swing,

STRICTLY, curl the DB. If you'd like put your back against a wall.

Easy right? NOW, add 100 lbs. and duplicate the process. I think everyone here knows

what Rob means here.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying I've never seen it done. Never seen a

video of it being done. Only hearsay that it's been done.

Mighty Joe

If you put your back against the wall, won't your elbow be braced? Are you just going to hold it an inch or so off the wall and then not let it move forward/up at all during the curl? I don't think curling gets much stricter than a concentration curl or preacher bench. Sure if you're leaning back or putting your legs into it on the preacher bench but I mean doing it the right way. To clarify; I don't believe that you use any more bicep during standing curls than with preacher bench or concentration curls.

It's going to take a lot more than biceps to one arm curl a 100#db in the standing position. With your body being offloaded 100# and no support it's going to take an awful lot of muscle control not to engage anything else; it's just natural.. Also; are you taking elbow movement into your definition of strict? To clarify, if the elbow moves forward/up, does that negate the lift? If so, good luck doing it standing. Better start doing some serious core work and shoulder stabilization exercises.

You're right about being offloaded.

To counter this, hold another 100lb. in your other hand.

Problem solved.

Now, curl the DB.

Mighty Joe

just curl the friggin weight.......simple.

Everyone goes all professor on this garbage...................people have no trouble doing it with 25s 45s 60s......do it the same way with a 100......it isn't science.

If your elbow moves a little fine, if you have to offset the heavy load and lean a little ...fine.............this is ordinary with curling, we all know the difference between natural stabilizing and elbow movement and swinging...........or do we?

Actually, even with light weights I think my elbow always moves some.......so no biggie there.

preacher curls are another angle and game.

Perfect, just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page. Will try it at the gym next time and see how far I get.

I have heard through the grape-vines that Ian Mac once stricted a 100+ lb'r.

Oh boy... :D

This has been a great read and I agree that most "curl" videos on Youtube or the whole Internet for that matter seem to be power cleans, once the weight gets heavy.

Well, I decided to take Rob's advice and just curl the friggin weight :D Still recovering from that awesome stomach flu that's going around so I wasn't quite up for a trip to the gym but I've got some stuff in the basement. dont' have any dbs so at first, I used a strap hooked up directly to the pin and with 73# about 3/4 of the way up and stalling, the stitching busted! I uppercutted myself right in the face! I split my bottom lip but didn't hurt my teeth any. Probably a good thing I don't have big hands because the edge of my fist caught my nose and if my hand would have been bigger and hit flush, it would have no doubt broke it :D I was also thankful I didn't drop the setup on my toes as it came crashing down. God had me on that one. I was fairly ticked off at this point and broke out the Tetting ring and thought "that should hold". I clipped the ring directly to the pin so there was no slack and hit 73#(weight plus pin). Will try it at the gym next time and report back but I don't think they'll be any difference.

All things considered I'm pretty pleased with that. I haven't curled on a regular basis for many months. All I do is band work on my table with fighting out of losing position being the closest thing to a curl. Considering I'm only 27# off and I don't even train it, and I'm nobody in the strength world, I'd say the only reason they're aren't any vids of it is a lack of interest, specifically in that style vs. the elbow braced, partials, etc..

I'm interested now and will start microloading it on my AW workout days. Will post a vid when I get to 90 on my ring set up. My gym won't allow cameras so they'll be no vids of anything there. If I'm at 100 by May, I'll post a vid at Don's.

Can we use straps? I've done 60's each arms for reps no straps, I'm sure I swing a little but not ridiculous by any means and I hardly train arms. I'm sure some strongman who can swing curl 400lbs could do 100lbs in one arm fairly strict. It might be pretty rare for general public but so is like a 600lb deadlift, yet thats pretty common in strength sports. I'm not even that strong compared to a lot of people who post here either... but now I'm interested and would like to see a 100lb strict curl.

I'm sure magnus samulson could do this I saw him fairly strict curl 310lbs for reps after very heavy bench at his old age of 40, only slight swing at beginning but then back was fairly straight for rest of curl.