Strict Standing Curl Number?

Pancake Sprawl

shizen: To reply to your own example of a 600# deadlift being rare. GO to youtube and search for videos of 600lb deadlifts. You will find a lot. And I mean a LOT. There are people under 170 pounds of bodyweight nearing that amount of pounds. (Not me by any means!!!).

Now, search the entire Internet for a 100# STRICT dumbell curl. Strict being the KEY word of this entire argument. You see, there are little arguments over a deadlift... if a guy locks his hip while holding the weight, he deadlifted the weight, there is no question, as you cannot really cheat this lift using body momentum.

But most people who post videos of them "curling" have body swing... and at least from my experience (and I am weak compared to most of this Board) you can increase weight considerably, with just a tiny little bit of body swing. Just a little hip drive adds a ton. A bit of leaning back, adds a ton. A bit of lowering the shoulder of the arm you're curling with, adds a ton... that is why in "Strict Curl" competitions I think they have you placed against a wall, and you need to keep several body parts in contact with the wall at all times. I'm not sure which though.. maybe butt, back and upper arms? No idea. But I get what Rob is saying about using just CURLING power to move the weight up.

Another solution would just be to post your highest hang-clean and call it that, a hang clean. Then we'd see no more arguments! Just get the weight from the hang, to your shoulders, and you're done! :D

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkeypaws

• Magnus

• jad

• Pancake Sprawl

Odd Lift rules require back and heels both against a wall, if I recall correctly.

from what I understood, it is shoulders and but and heels about a foot away from wall.

I think it would be near impossible to curl 100 with 2 hands and keep your feet and shoulders against the wall......there is no stability like this.

As far as people saying how close they are at 60 and 72..................well at 72lbs..........ya, you only have 28 more pounds to go, but that is about a 40% increase in your max on a relatively small muscle in a movement where increments of 5 or 10 lbs are huge.

At 60 lbs again seems close, but you are over 60% off.

Lets compare curling to pinching instead of moves like rowing, benching and deadlifts where the muscles are much larger and are not isolated movements so the gains con be huge.................think of pinch a few pounds is huge............actually if memory serves me.......probabally only about 30 lbs separates some of the very best pinchers in the world and stone cold newbies.

Some food for thought.

from what I understood, it is shoulders and but and heels about a foot away from wall.

I think it would be near impossible to curl 100 with 2 hands and keep your feet and shoulders against the wall......there is no stability like this.

As far as people saying how close they are at 60 and 72..................well at 72lbs..........ya, you only have 28 more pounds to go, but that is about a 40% increase in your max on a relatively small muscle in a movement where increments of 5 or 10 lbs are huge.At 60 lbs again seems close, but you are over 60% off.

Lets compare curling to pinching instead of moves like rowing, benching and deadlifts where the muscles are much larger and are not isolated movements so the gains con be huge.................think of pinch a few pounds is huge............actually if memory serves me.......probabally only about 30 lbs separates some of the very best pinchers in the world and stone cold newbies.

Some food for thought.

Time will tell but I'm looking forward to messing with it either way! As far as the pinch, if you're talking about 2HP, 245 and above seems to be where the best of the best hang out and most newbies fall in the 150-170 range and I think I'm being pretty generous with that range.

Does the challenge now require butt and shoulder against the wall or are we still calling the standing with minimal stablization and elbow movement good?

Edited by jad

how come nobody asks that SSGLASS guy? he's the one who said i'd have to be doing OVER 130lbs. i'm sure he can get a video of someone doing something with 100lbs lol.

it doesn't make me feel so bad now about how weak i am lol, now i will be happy to get 100lbs haha

shizen: To reply to your own example of a 600# deadlift being rare. GO to youtube and search for videos of 600lb deadlifts. You will find a lot. And I mean a LOT. There are people under 170 pounds of bodyweight nearing that amount of pounds. (Not me by any means!!!).

Now, search the entire Internet for a 100# STRICT dumbell curl. Strict being the KEY word of this entire argument. You see, there are little arguments over a deadlift... if a guy locks his hip while holding the weight, he deadlifted the weight, there is no question, as you cannot really cheat this lift using body momentum.

But most people who post videos of them "curling" have body swing... and at least from my experience (and I am weak compared to most of this Board) you can increase weight considerably, with just a tiny little bit of body swing. Just a little hip drive adds a ton. A bit of leaning back, adds a ton. A bit of lowering the shoulder of the arm you're curling with, adds a ton... that is why in "Strict Curl" competitions I think they have you placed against a wall, and you need to keep several body parts in contact with the wall at all times. I'm not sure which though.. maybe butt, back and upper arms? No idea. But I get what Rob is saying about using just CURLING power to move the weight up.

Another solution would just be to post your highest hang-clean and call it that, a hang clean. Then we'd see no more arguments! Just get the weight from the hang, to your shoulders, and you're done! :D

This is the subjectivity that will make this lift practically impossible to find. What one might call natural stabilization or a little elbow movement might mean something entirely different to someone else. This is what I was trying to tack down during my earlier post. For example, the lowering the shoulder comment; what constitutes a bit? A little lowering of the shoulder, naturally causes a little bit of elbow movement, which Rob already said was ok but will Arturo think the same? Until some more details are tacked down I think you'll have a hard time on getting 10 people to agree on whether a video is "strict" or not. Rob said he doesn't want the elbow braced so if someone's elbow braces against the wall during the strict curl competition style stance, will that not count? Also, by shoulder against the wall does that mean shoulder blade or rear delt? For me to get my rear delts to touch and hold some piece of paper I have to puff out my chest like some kind of peacock and probably couldn't curl 40#. I think Rob made his definition pretty clear with his curl the friggin weight post but Arturo's doesn't seem to match up and I'm not saying either is wrong, just that people seem to have a different definition of what "strict" is.

no I was talking aboutone hand pinch............ya know...........to compare to one handed curls.

And 30lbs is the rough range......I know many newbies who can pinch 60-70lbs....and world class pinch is 2 45s or 2 45s with a little weight.......agreed...........good.

Adout the best pinchers doing 245.......well thats a little hokey pokey and it is 1000% based on the apparatus.

I could design an apparatus where the best pinch 300.............get my meanin ?

Put 2 45s together with a bar going through and put some weight on and pinch it.........when this was the norm the best was david horne, and I'm not sure what the weight was but it sure wasn't even close to 250.

The plates matter also, I have warmed up with 220..............and on a different set I couldn't muster 210.

I was one of the best pinchers when I was competing, I could easily farmers walk and pass 45s around my back.

Point being that only a mere 30lbs seems so close and the majority of the population can get within 20, 15, even 10 away from a world class feat...............but never quite get to that world class part.

Also when you are talking weight lifting and numbers under 100 lbs.......small increments are much further away than that tiny number indicates.

Yes, curl the weight. Do it any way just for me. I won't ridicule you if you cheat, I am pretty observant, a little movement, even a little lean.....cool.............I just want to see the weight handled...not power cleaned and momentumed.

Hows this ? put a 100 in your hand and in front of a mirror, lower it to parallel to the floor..............not almost parallel......but parallel...................and bring it back up.............................This is much easier than a full range curl.

Oh, keep your elbow at your side......unbraced, when it is tucked in to your hip and braced the weight is easier to manage.

I'm gonna throw up a vid in the next few days, curious to see if what I think is "strict" will pass muster. I am thinking I could get 70-80 pounds.

Oh, keep your elbow at your side......unbraced, when it is tucked in to your hip and braced the weight is easier to manage.

Definitely need to retest myself. I assumed with the standing strict bodybuilder style I was supposed keep my elbow pinned to my side. Mine was definitely tucked into my oblique and I can see how that would add some brace; good observation. Will try it next workout and report back.

Bob, I have no doubts about you doing a strict 70-80lb curl. I remember your videos and you are a big and strong guy. I am pretty sure you have done your share of power sports and lifting. I said the whole pinch parallel to show that while I think an 80 lb curl is outstanding..........it is a ways off of a 100.

In my opinion I rarely see people workout with anything over 50s..............and a strict 60-70 lb curl is much stronger than your average lifter.

Because of this thread, I tried to curl my 71.5 pound db today during my table training. It went up pretty strict, but it was not easy. I think 80 could be possible for with a bit of specific training - could be a goal for this year. 90 pounds would be a great very long term goal, if even possible. My training partner who has very good biceps could do some strict reps with my 71.5 pound db. He will try to curl a bit more next time.

Hey Rob, not upset or anything, I just wanna throw one up there and see if it passes as "strict". Been backing off alot of the powerlifting stuff lately, been getting into curls more. I see your point.

Anyone doing a strict one arm DB curl of 70 lbs.

or more has my respect. I can't do it and don't mind

admitting it either.

I thought Magnus toying around with that #50 was good too.

It was like he had nothing in his hand.

I know me and Rob have had disagreements but in all honesty

I believe what Rob says he can do. Rob's strength is off the charts

in grip and AW. You have my full respect Rob. Hope there's no hard

feelings over the Mac threads.

I would like to see more videos of others trying what they can do.

I now have a new goal in my weight training to do a strict one arm DB

curl of 70 lbs. I can table curl over 100lbs. but as has been pointed out

this is a different story.

Mighty Joe

I have always had good curl numbers compared to other lifts. When I was doing strongman a couple years ago I worked out with 60's. Not sure what my max was, but I know for sure it was under 80.

I did this just now at home and could do 62 pretty easily and with both arms. Because of my now limited weight selection at home the next step up was 72lbs and I could not do this strict.

I think Rob is correct. 70 or even 80lbs is great, but it is no where in the ballpark of 100 because the curl is just one of those lifts where little gains are hard. I was working with 55lbs for a loong time before I could move up to 60's, and even then my form was not as strict as it was with 55's for a while.

I'm not computer savy, so I am waiting on my girlfriend to post some vids.

It's all good Joe, I think you're a good guy, everyone has opinions and that is why there is boards....for discussion.

I as well think a 70 lb curl is very good.

My weight selection is limited at the moment, but at my practices I can get an 80 for the video or see whatever I can piece together between metric and regular weights to get to 90.

I have done 90 more than once, and 85 for what I would call 3 real good reps..........but even when the 85 was going easy that extra 5 lbs was like going from a coc 3 to a real stout bb elite. On most days the 90 isn't going up and 85 is a feat depending on how healed I am and based on how I curl the weight.

as far as rpeacher and table curls I can put up some real big nos

I thought I'd try a real strict curl for the fun of it. I managed 69 pounds righty and 66 lefty.

I thought I'd try a real strict curl for the fun of it. I managed 69 pounds righty and 66 lefty.

That's really good Eric!

I'm impressed.

Mighty Joe

I'm not computer savy, so I am waiting on my girlfriend to post some vids.

It's all good Joe, I think you're a good guy, everyone has opinions and that is why there is boards....for discussion.

I as well think a 70 lb curl is very good.

My weight selection is limited at the moment, but at my practices I can get an 80 for the video or see whatever I can piece together between metric and regular weights to get to 90.

I have done 90 more than once, and 85 for what I would call 3 real good reps..........but even when the 85 was going easy that extra 5 lbs was like going from a coc 3 to a real stout bb elite. On most days the 90 isn't going up and 85 is a feat depending on how healed I am and based on how I curl the weight.

as far as rpeacher and table curls I can put up some real big nos

Rob you should put together some footage and put out a real Strongest Arms DVD :rock

I tried it this morning. W/o a warm up, got 68 left-handed. I also got 70 with a little lean (still LH). I'll be lifting later today, so I'll try it again then, and try to get a few videos up.

That's really good Eric!

I'm impressed.

Mighty Joe

Thanks, Joe!

i tried last night, i failed with a dumbell that is 76.5lbs trying for a strict standing curl, could only get a partial. BUT i did get it up by dropping my shoulder.

I tried it this morning. W/o a warm up, got 68 left-handed. I also got 70 with a little lean (still LH). I'll be lifting later today, so I'll try it again then, and try to get a few videos up.

Get some videos of your next attempt for sure that be pretty strong if strict. I need to go try this now but I hate curls and do them only when I go to gym with friends.

I got a few videos to upload.

I did a dumbell that is 85+....I wanna say 87, but the bar and collars are screwy and old school, so I am 100% that it is at least 85.

I got it up a few times, no warm up, and arms are hurtin from a previous workout, but I got it pretty good, as well as my opinion of a curl and the inevitable movements that come with it.

The video should explain everything.

I also made a video of my favorite hand and wrist movement for armwrestling.......its the balls.

Now, I gotta upload and get them to where yall can view em......later

I got 70 just a few minutes ago, both arms, but my sister forbids me to put up the videos (background stickler :blush) But, they weren't as strict as I want them. Form was OK, but not strict, so...I'll have to try again.

**cough** hang on a sec, wait until she's not around, I'll put one up :D:shifty **cough**

Edited by Magnus