Strict Standing Curl Number?

Pancake Sprawl

my bicep strength sucks. i can barely get 60lb one arm curl. i've never trained biceps seriously, and i figured it'd go up as my bent over rows and such went up but i'm weaker then i was when i was 18. i could get 100lbs up for a single or double, now i can barely get half that. so i'd just like to know what should be a number i should be shooting for? thanks

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkeypaws

• Magnus

• jad

• Pancake Sprawl

my bicep strength sucks. i can barely get 60lb one arm curl. i've never trained biceps seriously, and i figured it'd go up as my bent over rows and such went up but i'm weaker then i was when i was 18. i could get 100lbs up for a single or double, now i can barely get half that. so i'd just like to know what should be a number i should be shooting for? thanks

its not what you can do but what you will end up doing in the future 60lb one arm is not to shabby just keep at it curl weight goes up fast if you did 100s before you will get it again mix up curl bar straight bar and dumbells and do them strict and also do cheat curls and dont do them just to get it over with try to enjoy them and feel each rep good luck

At my very best (~August), I had a great bicep routine going, awesome strength and size gains...I think it was about 70's x 3 for me, but I have lifted heavy since August, and since the fire I haven't lifted at all, so probably more like 65 x 1 now...if that :cry

its not what you can do but what you will end up doing in the future 60lb one arm is not to shabby just keep at it curl weight goes up fast if you did 100s before you will get it again mix up curl bar straight bar and dumbells and do them strict and also do cheat curls and dont do them just to get it over with try to enjoy them and feel each rep good luck

Yeah, 60 is not bad at all.

Edited by Magnus

I will say- what is the goal of the curl? For example Arnold talked much in his writing on how he often "only" used 60's for his curls to build his monsterous arms, focusing on the rep. If you want a lot of strength, a cheating DB curl may be better.

As far as asking "whats a good number" At your body weight you will have to throw some big weights (+130's) to be in the range of strong. I have a friend who arm wrestles and he curls 75s strict at a BW of 160, which i think is pretty good. Depends on who you ask...

I will say- what is the goal of the curl? For example Arnold talked much in his writing on how he often "only" used 60's for his curls to build his monsterous arms, focusing on the rep. If you want a lot of strength, a cheating DB curl may be better.

As far as asking "whats a good number" At your body weight you will have to throw some big weights (+130's) to be in the range of strong. I have a friend who arm wrestles and he curls 75s strict at a BW of 160, which i think is pretty good. Depends on who you ask...

yeah i figured. i don't care about how big my arms get, i just want to be devastatingly powerful.

Well, that's not quite true...he also used something else :rolleyes;):laugh

Edited by Magnus

another thing i have found out is for some reason i can do more weight on the preacher curl then a strict standing curl. it makes me feel like i don't have a lot of stability when i do it standing. is there something that could help me with this?

another thing i have found out is for some reason i can do more weight on the preacher curl then a strict standing curl. it makes me feel like i don't have a lot of stability when i do it standing. is there something that could help me with this?

Do you mean like you're going to fall over forward?

yes don't stand with your feet next to each other put one foot ahead of the other also sit on a bench using a curl bar and let the weight sit on your legs near your knee and from a dead stop curl up the weight let it stop back on your knee and curl again these give you power dont bounce them good luck

yes don't stand with your feet next to each other put one foot ahead of the other also sit on a bench using a curl bar and let the weight sit on your legs near your knee and from a dead stop curl up the weight let it stop back on your knee and curl again these give you power dont bounce them good luck

thanks a lot man! it has helped me tons!

YES AND IF IT BECOMES ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE LIFTS AND YOUR BODYWEIGHT 150 UP TO 185 STRICT CURL IS NOT OUT OF THE NORM AND 225 CHEAT CURLS IM A MEAT AND POTATO LIFTER TOO :D

ok thanks Dan, you've helped me a great deal with my form! hopefully i can reach this goal by the end of next year!

I think he means 130 lb dumbell. Since he is curling 60s already 130 is easy IF he was talking 2 hands, but to answer his question about CURLING........not cheat or swinging, but strict curling 130lb db...........sorry I hate to burst bubbles but I have doubts.

Can anyone on here lead me to even a 100lb curl that is fairly strict........cause I have never seen it........at any weight.

ask big nasty what ?

These are all things I have researched.

I don't run on heresay, I know what has been documented and I have met with some of the "strongest arms" out there.............for some reason I can't find ANYONE to man handle a 100lb db.

Please don't get on here talking about machines or partials and how some guy from the ukraine did these huge weights.......I know ............me too........I am talking a fairly strict, standind, bodybuilder type of curl.

Everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about, yet there are no videos of it..............plenty of lower numbers or power cleans and so on though.

My point is, if everyone wants to be real, Pancake sprawl asked if it was possible for him to curl a 130lb db at his weight.

Well, if he is at 60 now..........I say good luck and have a go at it, but I have to say forget 130, I have seen the likes of kazmier, samuelson, and pudzianowski have to use some pretty hefty body english just to get to 100lbs............never mind 130...........and we can all agree that these are extremely rare, gifted and large men.

And just for arguments sake, If someone can do 100 nice and strict, as people not seen on video or documented can close a #4..........believe me I KNOW.............then I say you are a huge rareity and congrats on a feat that is world class. Point is 130 is still 30% over that world class feat.

This is like cleaning and pressing the millenium bell, or farmer walking 3 45's.

Is it possible..............why not ?....................so is running the 100 in under 9 seconds...............it just hasn't happened yet.......thet we know of.

I think he means 130 lb dumbell. Since he is curling 60s already 130 is easy IF he was talking 2 hands, but to answer his question about CURLING........not cheat or swinging, but strict curling 130lb db...........sorry I hate to burst bubbles but I have doubts.

Can anyone on here lead me to even a 100lb curl that is fairly strict........cause I have never seen it........at any weight.

I agree with Rob here.

I've never witnessed a strict one arm DB curl of 100 lbs.

In my 20+ years involvement in strength culture I've met

some of the strongest people on this planet and I have not

witnessed no one do this.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

If you can do this or know someone who can please let me and others know

about it. They need to be recognized for this stupendous feat.

Mighty Joe

Surely you can do a strict 100lber Rob????? I took 100lber with a 2" handle after the Michigan Grip Championships and attempted a full range, seated concentration curl with it. I took it up to right around parallel, fought it for what seemed like an eternity, and finally gave in and leaned back a little to get some english, and finished the rep. It was after a full comp and several after comp feats. It would be doable very shortly if I couldn't get it fresh. We're around the same weight and my biceps are nowhere near the size of yours and I'm a good 35# from even being able to do a one arm pullup; I'd think it would be cake for you?

Big Nasty has done 200# in a strict curl competition. I'm not sure what he can do one handed, hopefully he'll chime in.

Edited by jad

Surely you can do a strict 100lber Rob????? I took 100lber with a 2" handle after the Michigan Grip Championships and attempted a full range, seated concentration curl with it. I took it up to right around parallel, fought it for what seemed like an eternity, and finally gave in and leaned back a little to get some english, and finished the rep. It was after a full comp and several after comp feats. It would be doable very shortly if I couldn't get it fresh. We're around the same weight and my biceps are nowhere near the size of yours and I'm a good 35# from even being able to do a one arm pullup; I'd think it would be cake for you?

Big Nasty has done 200# in a strict curl competition. I'm not sure what he can do one handed, hopefully he'll chime in.

I remember hearing that. Db, he says right here:

...my P/R strict dumbell is 105lber and I mean strict no swing no dip strrrrriiiiict. :D
Edited by Magnus

Like I said.............concentration curls with your elbow braced are different.

Sure I can annihilate a 100lb db in a concentration curl and half curl or even shread a 150 for reps on a preacher..............all different.

I said bodybuilder style, full range, strict standing dumbell curls.

I hane done 90....STRICT.................but I have very strong biceps, actually I think most of my pull has come from my bicep and not from my back which has enabled me to do 1 arm pullups with no training.

Competition style at under 198 with my shoulders and back staying against a wall I did 180................fairly easy...........so.............2 hands is better than 1 in my experience.

I don't think I have the strongest biceps in the world, but I have yet to meet anyone who can out curl or out any pull motion me ............same for same.

I'm talking body english, equipment, that particulart day.......same for same.

I have stopped the best on my bicep............brzenk............more than once......................silvers in his tricep press, many top heavies hitting and pressing with full body............my biceps are world class.

I simply don't think that 130 is gonna happen.......not with this generation and technology and drugs.........maybe in a few years..............but not now.

If it has been done......cool.......I am simply saying many seasoned strength vets....such as Joe are well versed and have never seen even a 100 done................myself included, but 130 I have serious doubts.......sorry.

Doesn't Magnus Samuelsson BB curl over 300 pounds? I'm sure that is using some body english, but would it not be conceivable for him to do 100 strict with one arm?

oh boy, I feel like a recorder...............yes , him as well as MANY others do it.............hell......so do I.........with body english.

We are talking about STRICT curling aren't we ? cause if we are just throwin numbers and cleans I have seen a 150lber "curl" a 150lb db easily..................please read what we are talkin about...............not swings, not a little cheat, not heresay, not concentration, preachers or partials............but curling

Here's what you do:

Go grab a DB handle without any weight on it.

With either arm of your choosing, standing, hold the DB at

hang arm position to your side with your palm facing forwards.

Now, with nothing but bicep curling power, curl the DB till your

knuckles are pointing straight up.

While curling, DO NOT bend back in any way, DO NOT use body swing,

STRICTLY, curl the DB. If you'd like put your back against a wall.

Easy right? NOW, add 100 lbs. and duplicate the process. I think everyone here knows

what Rob means here.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying I've never seen it done. Never seen a

video of it being done. Only hearsay that it's been done.

Mighty Joe

Yes, I know what we're talking about :rolleyes

I have done 90....STRICT.................

...........I don't think I have the strongest biceps in the world.

Then, I think it not improbable that it can be done :D

And Joe, I know how to do it ;)

Yes, I know what we're talking about :rolleyes
I have done 90....STRICT.................

...........I don't think I have the strongest biceps in the world.

Then, I think it not improbable that it can be done :D

And Joe, I know how to do it ;)

Do you happen to have a video of your strict one-arm DB curl?

If not, can you provide one?

The explanation was for those that honestly don't know.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

Doesn't Magnus Samuelsson BB curl over 300 pounds? I'm sure that is using some body english, but would it not be conceivable for him to do 100 strict with one arm?

Again, hearsay.

Conceivable? Yes.

I want to see it. I've heard claims for 20+ years. ;)

Thanks,

Mighty Joe