Brent's Log

barbe705

What the hec Brent why did u change up your plan? Did you feel rushed

I felt like I was just standing around. I got impatient. it was stupid but, there you go.

You'll get the MM1 next time

12/21/11

finally got back into things. had to rush a bit because the basement was a mess and I had to waste a bunch of time looking for things.

warm up

5x3 level 9 vulcan

2hp 120# 20# backloaded 4x5

hub 5x1 55#

50# hex 5x1

ttk 2 sets to fail with 10#. done 2 hand style.

12/23/11

warm up

vulcan 5x3 level 6

climber curls x10 25/50/60/70/70/70

reverse climber curl 3x10 10#

was supposed to do face levers and front lifts but, couldn't get into it at all.

12/21/11

finally got back into things. had to rush a bit because the basement was a mess and I had to waste a bunch of time looking for things.

warm up

5x3 level 9 vulcan

hub 5x1 55#

50# hex 5x1

You need two hands for 10# on the TTK? Oh yeah, I forgot, you are a light weight now.

12/21/11

warm up

5x3 level 9 vulcan

hub 5x1 55#

50# hex 5x1

You need two hands for 10# on the TTK? Oh yeah, I forgot, you are a light weight now.

they were to fail. how do you know they weren't 5000 rep sets? I've never felt very good on the TTK. when I do it 2hands with them on the side it doesn't bother my joints. one hand I get a lot of discomfort in my thumb. if I try to do one handed to the side I tend to flip it off the shelf.

finally done with being sick. ate some food today and drank more than a pint of water. looking forward to actually training.

they were to fail. how do you know they weren't 5000 rep sets? I've never felt very good on the TTK. when I do it 2hands with them on the side it doesn't bother my joints. one hand I get a lot of discomfort in my thumb. if I try to do one handed to the side I tend to flip it off the shelf.

I have these same issues (aside from the shelf flipping thing). I have taken to using two hands and gloves. Mine is homemade and has some sharp edges that caused problems beyond the joint discomfort. I use pretty light weight too.

1/1/12

After gym on sunday we did some bending with a friend. and axle.

worked up to 365#DO. wasn't terribly happy with that but, I think I'm still recovering from illness. also, I was pulling in my oly shoes and didn't realize taht until it was over. it slowed me down some, I think.

bent a polo1

reversed 1/4x6 round SS

tried to DO a red in single suedes with no warm up. felt terrible so stopped.

phone books and cards.

1/3/11

slow start to the morning. cell phone battery died so no wake up. still got some work in.

RT 5x5 120#

tip tester hold to fail 205/215/215/215/215. need to go heavier but had my old yorks on the pin. couldn't fit anything else.

ext lifts and some wrist roller to flush things out.

I have a rib head out on my right side and it is killing me. any ideas?

1/4/11

warm up

vulcan 5x3 level 6

2hp 10x3 135# at 61mm.

block x5 37.5/37.5/40/40/37.5

ext lifts to fail supersetted with blocks

wrist roller 4x60sec 2 each way 25# 2" ID.

1/4/11 warm up vulcan 5x3 level 6 2hp 10x3 135# at 61mm. block x5 37.5/37.5/40/40/37.5 ext lifts to fail supersetted with blocks wrist roller 4x60sec 2 each way 25# 2" ID.

wiiiiiiiiiiiide 2HP

that's close to my normal pinch width. I seem to get pretty good carry over from the too wide training. the plan for the next 3 sessions is that I'll keep the weight the same and add another 5mm to the thickness each time. so, that will be a 71mm pinch shortly.

Just stumbled upon your workout training log, look forward to your updates and your next attempt on the MM1. good luck!

I'll go at the mm1 the week of the 13th. I'm not going to get sidetracked until after the durniat grip comp. that's the 11th. I'll try to get after the MM1 by the end of that week. things should line up just so...

1/5/11

warm up

5x3 vulcan level 6

face levers 10# 4x 5/6/6/5. these felt terrible. already lost all the strength I had going into gripmas.

climber curl 25# 4x15

45 degree front lifts 2.5# 4x12

wrist thingy 3x15 25#

2x60sec wrist roller.

things were a bit rushed this morning since I screwed up the coffee last night and had to start over. would have liked to do some more climber curls and wrist roller. truthfully as late as I was running I am very happy with this. feeling beat up. sticking my arms each night and trying to stretch through the day. looking forward to a weekend off.

1/6/12

vulcan level 6 5x3

1/7/12

frame deads plate/quarter jumps to 500#. 5 sec hold at top on each. 13 sec hold on 500#. needed to start with 100# plates to get more on bar.

axle shrugs 3x15 245#

1/9/12

warm up

2hp 4x5 130# 30# backloaded

hub 5x1 55/60/60/60/55/55

blocks 5x1 45/50/55/50/50

ttk 10# x 30/50/35

wrist roller (3") 2x30 25#

contrast baths.

1/10/12

warm up

vulcan level 9 5x3

climber curl 3x10 75#

rev climber curl 3x10 12.5#

face levers 3x2 12#

45 degree front raises 3x6 5#

1.5ID roller 2x2 60sec 45#

1/9/12 warm up 2hp 4x5 130# 30# backloaded hub 5x1 55/60/60/60/55/55 blocks 5x1 45/50/55/50/50 ttk 10# x 30/50/35 wrist roller (3") 2x30 25# contrast baths.

Can you talk about your TTK training strategy? I've started using mine again to spark some pinch gains, but I can't say I really understand how to train with this thing. Here are some of the things I've tried:

* Heavy kinney-style negs. Close it with two hands, hold with one. This REALLY torqued my thumb joints. Not a fan.

* Horne-style reps. 10 slow full-range reps, immediately followed by 10 quick short reps, immediately followed by 10 slow full-range reps. This is a burner!

* Finally my current strategy is 3x12 with 17.5#, both hands at once, and really forceful reps. This has been enough to get my thumbs nice and sore without discomfort. I also do a trick that Lukeamdman showed me, which is to pick up the end slightly during the reps so any element of table surface bracing the close is removed.

How is light weight and high reps treating you?

I totally agree with lifting the end whatever your doing. otherwise you tend to cheat it too much with upper body.

mostly I use it for high rep end of work out regardless of the style of use. I tried the heavy weight negs and got an injured thumb joint and little gains. I found that using it like that it was hard to avoid a crimp type grip that doesn't really carry over 2hp very well.

the couple of ways I use it are:

1. with my right hand in front at a right angle with the device sideways.

2. with both hands at the same time. basically only index and middle finger on the bottom and the thumbs off the edge of the sides.

both of those for higher reps at the end. I try to keep from letting it touch at the bottom of the motion. keeps the tension on and is quieter. sometimes I tap them out and sometimes I try to avoid touching at the close as well.

I made a paris board pinch this weekend, well almost, ran out of screws. I plan to try and work that in more. again though, it will be high reps at the end.

I've always tried to end with some kind of exercise to failure. I'll say that these seem to keep me pain free and no soreness in the thumbs. i think of them more for rehab/recovery than for strength gains. plus i can work my thumbs even if my skin is raw.

1/11/12

warm up

vulcan level 6 5x3

Rt 125# 5x4

tip tester 225# 3 to fail

2" ID wrist roller 45# 60 sec 2x2

1/12/12

warm up

2hp 66mm 135# 10x3

block weight 5x5 37.5/40/40/37.5/37.5

ran out of time for wrist roller. I was running around cleaning and doing some stuff between sets and time got away from me. I figure that's okay since tonight is speed pulls on axle after I squat.

1/13/12

warm up

face levers 10# 4x 6/6/6/6.

climber curl 25# 4x15

45 degree front lifts 2.5# 4x12

wrist thingy 3x15 25#

4x60sec wrist roller.

played around a little with the climber curl behind my back. felt odd. not sure about that yet. forgot to do vulcan until almost done. sat morning I'll make up the reps i need for the week.

1/14/12

warm up

vulcan level 11 3x1 3 sec overcrush

3x3 level 9.

I think I need to redo my numbers as far my percents go. I think they're too low.