Brent's Log

barbe705

Brent, if it's any consolation, YOU WON THE COMP!!!

If anyone here says they don't understand your frustration, they are lying. Honestly these stories are dime a dozen. It just stings more when it's you.

If you crushed a 164# gripper with a block, you'll kill the MM1. That should give you some momentum.

I wouldn't want to make you feel bad.

MA has a meet at some point this spring. I think.

I don't have any desire to do a powerlifting meet and that way I can help out, load, spot, whatever.

Time to start powerlifting. Carl, Rick and I will see you here: http://media.angelfi...138/2025505.pdf

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Just setp back and and evaluate. I for one have been stuck on the pinch and axle myself and not sure how to progress from here but i guess I am he kind that dosen't worry about it as much. I am competitive just to a point. :grin: About the frame hold. I have never had that happen to my tri before and I have had tons of work in on a frame and farmers. Doc and I were talking about it and It might just be a real deep strech that hurts from allthat weight the pulling on the tri. It didn't feel like i was going to tare anything it just didn't feel right is why i dropped it. I was kind of ticked too buecause that is what dropped me down to 5th.

I'm thinking the frame hold issue might be shoulder tightness pinching on something? maybe it is just a very deep stretch. I haven't been stretching like I used to. maybe I need to bring that back in and start doing more carries.

could you ask around at team boss and see if they have any ideas?

Brent I feel your pain. I went through the same thing recently and am still struggling with things as to what I want to do going forward as to competition etc. The addition of actual weight classes has given me a lot of motivation to continue though. I'm thinking about Nationals and events. I haven't tried the frame hold for time yet to see if I get the same triceps issue I had at Gripmas with the HH. I'll set it up to train later on and if I get that same thing - I'll probably load - judge - assist etc instead of compete. I am not going to risk an injury if I can see it coming or if it means I can't do one whole event and will not be competitive at all.. I did not have any issue with the pic though with 500 - didn't try to do 600 though. I can't say your training was "wrong" - I read your log and it "looks" all right but it has plateaued it seems. When one thing quits working - maybe another will work better now? You are as strong now as when you weighed considerably more - a lot more really. Your body weight has to be affecting you in some ways I would think. You have lots of external stress also - hang in there, take a break from grip, do something else and just enjoy the ride for a few months - then when life settles down a little - try things again. For me at least - I can get almost to peak form in 4 weeks or so if I'm still doing my general lifting etc.

Brent I hesitate to give advice to someone of your experience but what I do in a similar situation is - "when in doubt - simplify". You do a lot of volume - simplify for a while and relax.

Brent I hesitate to give advice to someone of your experience but what I do in a similar situation is - "when in doubt - simplify". You do a lot of volume - simplify for a while and relax.

chris, you can always give me advice. it's very easy to become too tightly focused and miss things that should be clear.

between the comp and the drive home I'm trying to take it as easy as possible this week and think things through. for the first 30 miles of the trip I went about 25mph. on a 55mph road. we passed 5-6 cars in ditches.

Brent - I sincerely hope you will continue competing. You are one of the main reasons why I'm planning to attend more grip contests in the future. I enjoy reading your journal, and I use many of your ideas in my own training routines. Although I'm not at your strength level, I think it would be cool if we could push each other a bit at some future contests. Hang in there.

Take some time and get back to enjoying training. Lift for the enjoyment, not for the performance. I've learned to do this throughout the year and will do some bodybuilding weeks were I'm not worried about the weight lifted, just moving blood. As Chris stated, you will maintain your grip, but you will follow your own advice and 'get your head right'. You are a great competitor and motivator for lots of us. See you again soon.

watched my medley video last night(need to post it and get the link up still). made some pretty basic tactical errors.

1.started with smaller blocks and got them all before trying the bigger blobs.

2. didn't progress as orderly as possible around the field. spent too much time hopping from one location to the next.

3. hadn't checked the weight of the slim hammers ahead of time and got taken by surprise.

4. missed the 2x45. I think it was simply hidden from view.

5. maybe I should have set up things a little bit better. I think that the plate pinches/blocks could have been in a better doable order for me. should have corrected that.

all in all, not bad. Andrew Panke was right there through the whole thing which really does help. I think that if I had made all of these slight changes I would have been good for 2 maybe 3 more items. I should have gotten the 2x45, the slater bell, and the smaller of the blobs(47.5#?). it was a very long day by that point though. and it had been over an hour between the end of the axle and my shot at the medley. between the drive there and the way the day stretched I don't think I've ever been as affected by the length of the day as I was this time. not sure that there's anything to be done about that.

2/18/20 MM1 closed

2/20/2012

warm up

vulcan level11 5x3

2hp 50x3, 100x3, 150x3, 130#+bands 4x5

55# standard plate block 5x1

thumb twisters x1@ 10/20/25/22.5/22.5

ext lifts during block and twisters

paris dyn board pinch 15/15 2x23

I think your medley looked great.

Parris

2/21/12

warm up

climber curl seated 4x10 35#

reverse climber curl 3x10 15#

wrist thingy rotations 4x5 60#

face levers 6# x6

8# 2x8

2/22/12

warm up

vulcan level 8 5x3. did this in pm and skipped am work. the night before I was doing some painting and my hands were cramping up. I figured some extra rest was called for.

2/23/12

warm

RT 5x 125#

wrist curl dead lift 3x5 125#

1.5ID wrist roller 45# 120sec 2/2

2/24/12

warm up

RB 240 148# 3x1+3sec hold

3x3 114# gripper(didn't note which one)

2hp 71mm 10x3 120#+bands

couldn't get out of bed so this was really all I had time for. meant to do some 1hp as well. couldn't get 2x35 to even break the ground and didn't have any extra time so I called it.

2/27/12

warm up

vulcan level 11 5x3

climber curl 4zx25 50#. last set wasn't 25 reps. I crapped out.

front lifts 5# 4x 4/5/4/4

rear levers 4x 5/6/10/10. choked up on last 2 sets.

2/28/12

warm

3x20 mini pull aparts

3x20 stiff lat pull downs

band abs 3x30

RT 90# 5x10

between the wrist curls yesterday and the thick DB rows I felt like crap this moring I had nothing. did some extra soft tissue work for recovery.

2/29/12

vulcan 5x3 level 8

2hp 4x4 140# + ands 71mm

thumb twister 5x1 20#

ext lifts during both of the above

paris dyn board pinch 3x20 15/15

god video of the 2hp. will be posting in the hand pos thread.

2/29/12

vulcan 5x3 level 8

2hp 140# 4x4 +mini bands

thumb twister 3x1 20#

ext lifts during block and twister.

paris dyn board pinch 2x20 `15#/15#

3/1/12

climber curl 4x10 403

rev climber curl 3x10 15#

wrist thingy 60# 4x5

face levers 6# 6, 8# 8/8

2/29/12

vulcan 5x3 level 8

2hp 4x4 140# + ands 71mm

thumb twister 5x1 20#

ext lifts during both of the above

paris dyn board pinch 3x20 15/15

god video of the 2hp. will be posting in the hand pos thread.

Can't wait to see that.

3/5/12

warm up

vulcan level 8 5x3

rt 5x4 135#

wrist roller deadlift 3x5 135#

1.5" Id roller 45# 120 sec 2/2

sat some people came over and we played around a little. pulled some 2" v-bar for the first time in forever.

3/6/12

warm

2hp 10x3 125# 60 sec breaks. first five reps were 105# because I am an idiot. I kept waiting for the reps to get harder. i think I'll keep the weight at 125# for the next go through rather than trying to increase it.

blocks 5x5 40/40/45/40/40. 45 was hard and slow. I should have done it for the second set but, wasn't paying attention.

suitcase 1hp 2x5 35#/45#

ext lifts after each block and 1hp set.

tweaked something in my left thumb. not sure how bad. it didn't bother me in the 1hp but, I keep feeling it as I move around. wait and see.

3/7/12

warm up

vulcan 5x3 level 8.

took it easy since my thumb is still bugging me.