Brent's Log

barbe705

2/2/2011

thin 2hp 75#x3, 95x3, 115x3, 125x3, 130 3x5. the 130 was easy. I should have bumped it up.

super medley

red rafter @ 60#

2x35 thin

2x35 thick

75# standard plate

5x10+ a five in the middle

45# hub

60# 3" loadable handle

37.5#hex+5#

blob

50# scale

50# scale

45# hex

red disc from swagger strength

onion(half of a globe DB, no idea the weight)

half a york globe, no idea the weight

40# hex + 5 on the thumb side

50# hex

32.5# hex +10#

25# blob

25# blob

20# blob

20# blob

30# hex

30# hex

25#hex

started to add some weight to some of the items. next week will be a good bit heavier.

extensor bands during tv. a bunch of 5 rep sets on red and some thumb isolation work.

Brent

How long are you taking for your medley work. Well I should ask do you have a increasingly bett er time, or are you doing it more for a burn out after the pinch workout

Rico

Brent

How long are you taking for your medley work. Well I should ask do you have a increasingly bett er time, or are you doing it more for a burn out after the pinch workout

Rico

it totally depends. I haven't been timing it at all, which is a good idea. since the weather has been so cold that has been taken into account as far as time between sets and objects goes. if it's in the high 20's or warmer outside it's warm enough in the basement that I just walk from object to object. if it's colder than that I usually have to take a bit longer. also, I seem to need to re-chalk more often in the cold.

I start with the thin pinch, hit the hub, hit the dumbell, then go through the block weights. I go through the whole thing right handed then start through left handed. I need to switch that up, in all my training I go left first since it's the weaker hand. any missed lifts are cheated up and help for a neg before lowering.

timing is a good idea though. I think I'll do that next time. I was planning on doing the medley only once or twice more and then switching to something else for pinch accessory work. the plan is to switch to max effort block weight lifts for 2 weeks followed by max effort one hand thin for 2 weeks and then back to medley. I'm interested to see how the switching it up will affect the medley time.

also, I have toyed with the idea of working my support strength by setting up several loadable dumbell handles and doing a medley of those. however, I don't have enough plates to leave them loaded and loading and unloading would be a pain in the butt.

I hate to unload stuff too. I agree if its a little too cold for your likes. Also You could get a tear on your skin (i did a couple weeks ago) since its usually dry as well when its cold. I'm not sure if I could do much for time after a good pinch workout my prob is I feel burned out and don't feel like setting up a medley. Ill set some stuff up next time an see how it goes. Ive got a bunch of pinch and odd objects.

Rico

I hate to unload stuff too. I agree if its a little too cold for your likes. Also You could get a tear on your skin (i did a couple weeks ago) since its usually dry as well when its cold. I'm not sure if I could do much for time after a good pinch workout my prob is I feel burned out and don't feel like setting up a medley. Ill set some stuff up next time an see how it goes. Ive got a bunch of pinch and odd objects.

Rico

what your talking about with the medley is the truth. the only reason I've been able to do it like this is that I basically leave it set up. I have a small 3x4 platform with the 2 scale weights, blob, globes, swagger disc, 50 hex, and 45# hex set up. they're able to stay set up there without blocking the main lifting area. I keep all the small blocks on an old foot locker to one side. so, all I need to do is set up the one pair of 35's, roll the DB out, and take the hub off the rack. the rest either stays in place or just gets rolled to the side a bit.

\

2/7/11

thumbless wrist curls on 2" crusher. x10@25, 50.

5x10 70#

front levers w 8# hammer to table 5x1

front levers on wrist thingy 3x10 50#

rotations on wrist thingy 3x10 50#

2/11/11

normal pinch 3x4 170. these were not easy and I cut the crap out of both of my thumbs.

super medley

red rafter @ 60#

2x35 thin

2x35 thick

75# standard plate

5x10+ a five in the middle

45# hub

60# 3" loadable handle

37.5#hex+5#

blob

50# scale

50# scale

45# hex

red disc from swagger strength

onion(half of a globe DB, no idea the weight)

half a york globe, no idea the weight

40# hex + 5 on the thumb side

50# hex

32.5# hex +10#

25# blob

25# blob

20# blob

20# blob

30# hex

30# hex

25#hex

timed these so I have an idea where I'm at when I come back to this kind of training. it was my worst run in month so I didn't really get a very accurate picture. just an off night.

2/14/11

climber curl 5x12 50#. something was bugging my right wrist with these so I didn't push.

block weight curls 5x5 30# block. wasn't heavy enough but, the next block I have is a 1/2 75 that's slick and that was too heavy.

front lifts with 8# hammer(coin on head) 5x1

front raises with 6# hammer 5x5

front lifts with wrist thingy 3x10 60#

rotations on thingy 2x10 60#. these are feeling better.

2/16/11

normal pinch 3x4 170. last time this weight gave me some trouble. this time it was almost easy.

some blob work, 2x35 holds for time and played with 6x10 to finish.

• 1 month later...

4/3/11

ccs grippers

left

RB 210

rb 260

bbsm 3x1(missed first got last 2)

right

RB210

RB260

BBSM

coc#3 missed by 1/4" x3

I think if I hadn't done axle work the day before I could have had these.

2hp

90x5

140x2

160 2x1

205. hands just aren't used to this any more. I was fried at this point

4/6/11

MMS

left

coc #3 3x1

right

RB 300 3x1(hit first missed next 2 by a little)

2" vbar

70/115/160/205/250/260/270 275 miss

haven't trained this in forever and am still pretty close to where I was. got video of the 270 for the race to 300 thread. I'll get that up this weekend.

climber curl 4x25 25#. these sucked. I played with the handle placement some. I think I found something more comfortable.

Brent, that's a biiiig workout. I'm surprised you can type!

that is 2 separate days there. what I've found is that my skin is not up to too much work right now. and, I hit grippers every gym day and axle on any exercise I can manage it. my hands are a little beat right now.

4/10/11

ccs grippers

left

rb 210

rb260

bbsm

bbsm

bbsm

the bbsm's were all farely easy. time to move up to the coc#3,new.

right

rb 210

rb 260

coc#3 new 3x1. first 2 were less than 1/4". 3rd one the gripper twisted in my hand and was not close at all.

2hp

90 3x1

140 2x1

210, miss. about 2 inches off ground

5 blob lifts each hand

3x10 wrist thingy rotations each way. 60#.

4/13/11

mms grippers

L

coc#3(new) 3x1

R

RB 300 3x1. all misses but, only by about a credit card thickness

2" v-bar up to 270#. this felt crappy tonight.

after this I had to get some things done so I passed on my wrist curls.

4/15/2011

inch trainer

195 left broke ground and right got slightly past knees.

wrist thingy 2x20 35# rotations each way.

4/15/2011

inch trainer

Wow on the inch trainer! How does that compare to an Inch lift, do you know? :bow

4/15/2011

inch trainer

Wow on the inch trainer! How does that compare to an Inch lift, do you know? :bow

not sure. the last 2 times I have been around an inch I lifted it. however, I didn't get any proof so, I can't say I have lifted the inch yet. It looks like I'll be at andrew's thing in june. he has one so I should be able to get video then. last time i was there I picked it up.

Edited by barbe705

Brent, is the inch trainer simply a ~2.5" DB?

Matt, I believe Mobster has said you need to lift 20-40 more lbs. on a ~2.5" handled DB to lift the Inch.

It's good that you bought a 2HP Brent.

Brent, is the inch trainer simply a ~2.5" DB?

Matt, I believe Mobster has said you need to lift 20-40 more lbs. on a ~2.5" handled DB to lift the Inch.

It's good that you bought a 2HP Brent.

I have no idea what the inch trainer I have measures. it's a chris rice inch handle.

I will say that the trainer can be a lot easier than the inch. with the plates hanging, of course, you get less spin. but, there's also the fact that if you place your hand at the back of the handle you can brace and tilt a good bit. I held it at the very front until I felt that the next weight was iffy. doing that allowed me to lift more but, there was another reason. the plates get a little loose and if I followed it down fast with my hand at the front I was afraid I'd get my hand pinch between the plates and the handle.

I'll try to remember to measure it this weekend and put that up.

also, I have been doing a lot of grip at the gym that I don't enter. so, the night before this I had done axle rows and 5x1 on my choked filed RB330. I've been hitting some grip almost every night for 2-3 weeks now. I can tell things are starting to come up. I think they'd come up a lot if I was rested. I can also tell that my skin conditioning is coming back. so far that has been what is keeping my grip work shortened.

4/17/11

2hp

37 2x5

87 2x1

137 2x1

157x1

177x1

187x1

197x1

207 miss.

so, I pulled less on my new 2hp than I did on my old plates. there's a couple of reasons for this. this was the 4th day in a row I trained grip(either grip at home or grippers/axle at gym). the plates are brand new and slick. the set up needs a good deal of fine tuning. the spacers didn't fit quite right and were sticking up the top. I didn't have a pipe so I used pvc, very loose. the whole thing was super loose and wobbly. also, I burned my right index finger on the hole saw cutting out the middles(brilliant). So, I think once those things get taken care of I should be able to get a better idea of where I'm actually pinching right now. MA on the same set up was able to pinch 110. which is a 5# pr.

blob cheats up and holds 5x1. tried these from the bottom to mix it up.

forgot to do wrist thingy or extensors.

also forgot grippers at beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

4/24/11

ccs grippers

left

bbsm

bbsm

bbsm. forgot to move up to the coc #3

right

coc#3 new 3x1. still missing this. i need more practice with the set because the attempts can either be close or way off. need to work more with my smooth handle grippers so I get that thumb control/cupping action.

2hp

40 2x2

90 2x1

140 2x1

last week I only got 190 1/2 way up. the plates are starting to season a little and I cleaned up my spacers some. I still need to get a pipe and collars. hopefully next weekend.

blob work. something weird happened in my thumb and i gave it a pass after only a couple of pulls.

Brent, in general is your goal with the 2HP workout to just build up to the biggest single you can manage?

Brent, in general is your goal with the 2HP workout to just build up to the biggest single you can manage?

right now, yes. I need to file it down a little so I can do reps without getting cut up. I was doing rep work for a couple of months at the beginning of this year and it was good. I will probably alternate between rep work and max's with a max week or 2 heading into a comp(so I know where to come in at). I also need to go back and see what I was doing last summer/fall because I was getting some really good results in comp.

looking back it seems like before gripmas I was alternating through singles, doubles, and backloaded singles. I am a fan of the backloading. I've never worked it on a real set up and am excited about giving it a go.