Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

Deadlifted today. I wasn't feeling very strong today and my back was a bit sore still from the front squats a few days ago, but I didn't want to wait too long to deadlift. It's already been 1 week since my last pull session.

135x5

225x5

315x5

365x3(all DO up until this point)

405x5(I'm not sure if I've ever done more than 3 reps with 400+, so bravo me)

385x2

365x2

315x5 done standing on a 45 plate in a slow-partial clean-pull motion with an extra shrug at the top

Good luck on the COC cert in June Zach! I know you've got the strength and the drive to get it done. Worry about that 12-hour drive though. I would have to have a driver or it would sap about 10lbs off my best gripper close.

Good luck on the COC cert in June Zach! I know you've got the strength and the drive to get it done. Worry about that 12-hour drive though. I would have to have a driver or it would sap about 10lbs off my best gripper close.

Thanks Ben! I'd be driving in on the Friday before the event starts ideally. I will do everything in my power to get someone to go down there with me and share driving time, etc.

Be mindful of how your body handles frequent pulling. Its very much an individual thing.

Save for my lack of reliable transportation and my shaky likelihood of making it down there, I have no problem driving most of the way down.

Be mindful of how your body handles frequent pulling. Its very much an individual thing.

Save for my lack of reliable transportation and my shaky likelihood of making it down there, I have no problem driving most of the way down.

Equally shaky is the likelihood I'll be able to go, and I also don't give a damn how much I drive. So long as I'm not the only driver. I do very well with morning driving btw.

Is there a date for Summer Strong yet?

Is there a date for Summer Strong yet?

Late June if I remember reading right.

Good luck with the cert Zach.

I can help you drive to Sorinex if you don't mind stopping by Jacksonville, Fl to pick me up first:)

Good luck with the cert Zach.

I can help you drive to Sorinex if you don't mind stopping by Jacksonville, Fl to pick me up first :)

lol, I think Jacksonville is just a tad out of my way :D

Squats today. My back wasn't feeling completely ready, but I always seem to do pretty good when slightly fatigued/sore/etc from the last workout. Today was no different. Despite a lack of motivation I had a surprisingly productive workout.

Front Squats

135x5

225x3

275x0(I'm getting closer)

Back squats

315x2

335x1(post op pr)

325x1

325x1

325x1

315x0

275x10(tough, but manageable)

Had a surprisingly productive deadlift day today.

Deadlifts

135x5

225x5

315x5

365x2(my LH hamstring began to cramp up on the 2nd rep, I set the weight down, went outside, and loosened up before the next set)

365x3

405x1(DO pull, felt very easy, gave me confidence)

435x3(surprised myself on this one, used straps and the reps were touch and go. Did not use straps after this set)

455x1(15lb all-time pr)

425x2(was going for 3, could've done it with straps but didn't want to use them)

405x2(DO pulls, standing on a 45lb plate)

385x2(Opposite mixed grip, standing on a 45lb plate)

365x2(Opposite mixed grip, standing on a 45lb plate)

Snatch Grip Shrugs(used straps)

315x10

325x10(both weights were very easy, not sure why I didn't go heavier or for more reps...)

Wide Grip Chins

BWx5x5

Went home and did Dragonflags, 5 sets of 2.

Here is the 455 pull:

Here is the 425x2 pull:

425x2(was going for 3, could've done it with straps but didn't want to use them)

Chalk maybe? This is the gripboard, grip ain't holdin back your deadlift! Thanks for the nudity too btw!

Grats on the 15 lb PR, it's nice to get some jumps like that.

425 x 2

magnificent deadlift that's for sure!

Thanks guys!

Jeff, no problem. I also had a dab of chalk on my hands from the previous pulls if I recall correctly.

Planned to squat today. Started to, then had to dump 350 and my bar went to shit. One end is bent over 60 degrees from straight... it's done for.

I only got 4ish sets in.

Front squats

135x5

225x3

275x1(this was iffy, possibly a bit high, I am not counting it as a pr squat)

275x0

Back squats

275x5

315x2(pretty easy)

350xalmost, stalled on the way up but certainly hit depth

350xdump, stalled on the way up, felt stronger than the last attempt, bar slipped out of my hand and down it went.

Wasn't feeling like squatting today, but I was pretty bummed after this. I can get a new bar, I was just bummed I didn't get 350.

that's a huge bend for one drop. was it an athletic store cheapo or a good one?

that's a huge bend for one drop. was it an athletic store cheapo or a good one?

I got the bar and 300lbs in weights for $250. It was a piece of crap from the get-go. I have bent it before and bent it back by slamming it around, but this is pretty much the death nail.

Ordered a Jesup bar today. Can't seem to find a shipping time on their site, but I hear they ship quick.

Realized I didn't post yesterday's workout yesterday. So here it is.

I can't remember the deadlifts, but didn't do much. Had to use my axle, so the weights weren't as high as they should've been, but I wasn't planning on going too heavy anyway.

I did some 2HP also. I'm confused now on what my setup weighs. I had 130lbs in plates on the setup, 4 25's, 2 10's, 2 5's. I had my setup calibrated at Gripmas '08 to 43lbs, so that is what I have gone with, neglecting the weight of the clamps(collars) and pipe. I weighed what I thought was 173 on my bathroom scale and it turns out it's 183. I sextuple checked the scale to make sure it was working properly, reset it, used calibrated weights, etc, and it is definitely reading correctly. I had a few singles with 183 that day. I'm still calling it 5lbs heavy.

Nice pinching Zach! You've really managed to take your 2HP up quite a bit the past year.

Did some highland games events at Durniat's today. I sucked at every one except the WFH, which surprised me. Last time I did this event I believe I had trouble clearing 8-9ft using the 56. I cleared 10 a few times and almost made it lefty today, so that was neat.

I also did some squats after everything to tide myself over until my new bar arrives.

Front squats

135x5

225x3

275x1(I was told this was good depth, so I will count it as a pr)

Back squats

275x5

315x3(rep pr)

335x2(rep pr)

355x0(This is probably a mental block combined with being fatigued from the rest of the day. I'll get it soon enough.)

Did 5x2 dragon flags

MGC was yesterday, and was awwwwwwwwwwesome.

My best lifts:

165 BBE, pretty easily

180 on my setup, a slow 190 pull was a mere 1" away from being good.

146 on the 2" FBBC Crusher, pulled it several times actually, failed at 155.

16.675 lever, failed 20 barely and 18.5 was pretty much the same. Haven't trained this lift in months.

Locked out the 400 FH, felt like my head was going to explode and I knew I wouldn't get any air in if I let my breathe out. Regardless, I "held" it for 1 second. Grip was not a problem.

Had an easy DL session afterwards.

DO pulls

135x5

225x5

315x5

365x2

405x0

405x1(mixed grip)

460x0(straps)

460x0(straps)

415x1(straps, super-slow)

315x20(DO grip, done pretty quick and the weight felt light)

We all messed with some thick DB pressing too. I pressed the 100 overhead with the slightest amount of leg drive a few times, then push pressed it many more times. Strict pressed the 90 for a slew of singles. Was able to clean the 90 several times, but still can't clean that flipping 100. I came close first attempt, but caught it off-sides.

Did some dragonflags to challenge Flynn and show the kids who train at Larkin's the best abs exercise evar. Jeff and I also did some human flags for the kids, they tried(and came close several times).

I front levered a 10 pretty easily from about a handlength up the handle several times both hands.

Bent a 60d in a rag to show one of the kids how to bend. After I showed him how, he bent 3 60ds in a row and is now on Don Larkin's wall.

Those kids are gonna kick some serious ass in a short while.

Great job at the contest Zach! Your gripper strength especially (along with 2HP) is way up now. What is your best RT pull? Seems like the 2" Crusher is about on par with most guy's best RT pulls.