Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

Good luck with the surgery Zach. Now, the fatherly side of me is screaming to get out... What are you doing squatting with a torn ACL, miniscus and cartilidge???? jeesh! Just relax. let the doctors work their magic. Do everything they tell you to the letter and come back 100%. Just relax for now. This is The Big Guy upstairs saying, work on your upper body and grip/pinch strength for a couple months.

Haha, the ACL doesn't come into play for squats. When I was at the otho office, I asked her what I could do right now. Her answer almost verbatim: "You can basically just keep doing what you've been doing. You'd really have to try if you want to make your knee any worse." I said "Squats, deads?", she replied "Sure."

Regardless, I'm still taking it easy and being careful. I had a compitent spotter the whole time to make sure that if I twisted or was doing something weird in the squats that didn't look right, he would tell me straight and I would quit.

Did another pressing workout today at my shop, going to the Y later for actual benching and other shit. All sets here done with a 2" axle.

Z presses

120x5

140x3

160x1(tough pr)

160x0

140x3

Floor presses. These were not true floor presses. I have no safeties if I actually bench while on the floor because my lowest pins are too high. But with my setup, I am basically doing a floor press and going just below what I would normally if my triceps were to hit the ground.

140x5

190x5

220x5(proud of myself on these ones, they were all tough and slow, but I got them)

More tonight.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

All the best for the surgery Zach. Hope you make a quick recovery!

You and me both brother!

Last night's session...

1 arm OHDBpress(standing on one leg too!)

75x3/3

75x3/3

some curls and some pullup work

I played with 135 and did 3 sets, one wide grip, one normal grip, one CG, all with less than 5 seconds rest between sets. It was tough but that was it.

Modified axle floor presses

120x5

140x5

170x5

190x5

210x5

220x4-5 singles

Aside from being unable to properly bench for awhile, I am actually starting to like this movement. I can feel my arms getting stronger doing this as opposed to regular bench and when I combine this with the Z-presses, I think I have a winning combo. I've always wanted a big overhead more than a big bench anyway.

Dips

BWx10

BWx10

BWx10

I did some quad isos, 30 reps held for 5 seconds at maximum contraction, and a few leg lifts.

And done for today.

• 2 weeks later...

Modified axle floor press

190x3

200x3

210x3

220x2+ a bunch of fails

Some pullups, 3x10 dips.

I would've done more but my 62lb little sister was the one helping me out today, so I couldn't really move much around.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few workouts here and there, been largely offline for the most part these past few weeks. Just did a pretty good hammer workout and finished off with 5x10 @50lbs on the climber curl. Rehab is getting more challenging too. Starting to do things in rehab that would've been a challenge for me even if I never tore my ACL in the first place. It's actually becoming fun :cool

Good to hear that things are going well for you on the rehab front!

Hope you heal up and come back stronger Zach, this is the first I've read about the ACL problem. Hope it doesn't set you back from your future Grip Legend status too much :rock

Thanks guys :)

Bench today, using a new, narrower grip.

135x6

185x5

195x5

205x5

215x4

205x5

135x10

Did some assissted OAC's and the regular rehab work.

• 2 weeks later...

Some rehab stuff today and finally did deads for the first time in far too long.

210x5

210x5

210x5

210x5

210x5

Nice work Zach. Careful with that knee brother.

Don't worry Mike. I've been cleared for both squats and deads. The deads I can go a bit heavy on, the squats I have been told to keep light for now. By the 12th week, about 6 weeks from now, I have been told that I can do pretty much anything I want, including lifting heavy again.

Box squats to almost exactly IPF depth

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x10

135x20

135x20

These were pathetically easy and I did not "sit" down on the box. I only used it as a depth indicator. Doc said going full depth wouldn't be smart right now, so I'm listening.

I find the fact that you are listening to your doc rather amazing - but in a good way :D

Did the usual bike/hamstring curl rehab stuff.

Deadlifts

220x5

220x5

220x5

220x5

220x5

Box squats

145x10

145x20

145x10

145x20

145x20

145x10

145x10

If you have an eye for patterns, you may have thought I meant to go 10/20/10/20/10/20/10... and you would've thought correct. I just didn't feel like having my second to last set be a 20 repper, so I did that set of 20 earlier.

These parallel? I just tried parallel box squats for the first time the other day

Yes, just below parallel when I'm sitting relaxed.

Went to a get-together at Larkin's today. Nothing really to report.

Deadlifts

275x5

275x5

275x5

275x5

275x5

Box Squats

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

Guest Bullitt

Box Squats

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

Nice jump in weight on the box squats. :mosher How's the knee feeling? You gonna be ready to whoop me at Gripmas?

Box Squats

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

Nice jump in weight on the box squats. :mosher How's the knee feeling? You gonna be ready to whoop me at Gripmas?

I jumped the weight up a lot, but I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any negative effects later on. That's one of the reasons I stopped at 5x10. So, the knee is feeling great, practically new except for the odd unstable moment brought on by sudden unexpected movements or loads.

I hope so!!!

Axle Deadlifts, regular grip

290x5

290x5

290x5

290x5

290x5

Axle Deadlifts, regular grip

290x5

290x5

290x5

290x5

290x5

That's one of the few things that's good about situations in which you can't use the heaviest possible weight on DL's: you get to use the axle with the lower weights and get some grip work on the side.

-Rex

Just checking in to see how the rehab is going. Looking great!