Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

What's your max 2HP?

Best ever was around 192-196 from a few months back. I'll get back there soon enough.

Had an easy squat day today. I'm expecting to deadlift on Sunday at Larkin's.

Front Squats

135x5

225x1(still testing this lift out, finding my new "sweet spot" for the bar since I've gained 30lbs since I last did these seriously)

Back Squats

225x5

275x3

315x2

335x0(same as the 325 from last week, shot out of the hole but failed midway up)

315x0

275x3

Bottom Position squats

225x5

245x3

Z Presses

120x3

170x1(pr, 25lbs from BW)

180xhalfway

160x3 singles

150x3

Had an easy squat day today. I'm expecting to deadlift on Sunday at Larkin's.

Front Squats

135x5

225x1(still testing this lift out, finding my new "sweet spot" for the bar since I've gained 30lbs since I last did these seriously)

Back Squats

225x5

275x3

315x2

335x0(same as the 325 from last week, shot out of the hole but failed midway up)

315x0

275x3

Bottom Position squats

225x5

245x3

Z Presses

120x3

170x1(pr, 25lbs from BW)

180xhalfway

160x3 singles

150x3

What are you weighing these days?

I'm still about 190 but I got lazy during my knee rehab. I even ended up nearer 180 than 190 at one point. I'm just getting my motivation back now that I can actually train exactly how I used to without worry. Last time I seriously trained the front squat I was around 170ish. I've only messed with it on occasion since.

Went to Larkin's today.

Highlights were as follows:

6-7 attempts at 171 on Dave's 2HP device, all getting air but no full lifts.

Worked up to a so-so 18.5 lever both hands.

Came very very close to cleaning the 2.25" 100lb DB. I C&P'd the 80 and 90lbers both arms a few times throughout the day.

Had a proper deadlift workout too.

135x5

225x5

315x5

405x2

450xhover(had I attempted 435, I probably would've had it)

415x3(rep pr)

325x10 spaced out reps standing on a 6" platform. Just so you all know, an olympic bar is about 6.5-7" off the ground with 45's, so a 6" platform isn't even possible for everyone. The bar was sitting on the balls of my feet.

Did some FW picks up to 350. My shoulders are not strong enough for this. I got 350 to lockout twice and 300 up for a few short holds. My grip was not a problem at all. I'm not sure exactly what the issue was or if my shoulder-weakness was the whole cause, but I couldn't breathe at lockout. I tried a few different positions, pushing my chest out, trying to shrug the weights more, etc, but I just couldn't breathe under the weight. Really need to train this.

That's a nice days work! You probably would've had 450 had it not been for the 17 reps that led up to it. :D

That's a nice days work! You probably would've had 450 had it not been for the 17 reps that led up to it. :D

It was more work than I am used to doing before a big attempt, so maybe. Either way, I don't think my head was really in it today. It would've been a more productive workout for me to do some heavy reps instead of a big attempt.

I forgot to mention that I closed a relatively easy #3 lefty at Larkin's today also. It was probably mid 140's.

I thought you hit 3 at 405 and missed the 4th.

405 with the 5lb collars on.

Some nice work there! I've got the same problem with the farmers. Make sure you give the shoulders some time to acclimate, I'm just getting over an injury I'm pretty sure was caused by pushing the farmers.

Some nice work there! I've got the same problem with the farmers. Make sure you give the shoulders some time to acclimate, I'm just getting over an injury I'm pretty sure was caused by pushing the farmers.

Thanks! And will do with the shoulders.

Had an overhead press kind of day with my axle.

Z press

120x10

140x5

170xhalfway

160x1

160x3 singles

170x1 easy

175x1 slightly harder

180xhalfway

Standing Strict Press

120x5

170x1(I think that's a strict press pr, not sure)

I ended up push pressing the next reps

180x1

190xa few failures and 1 good press

On the 190 I was trying to use as little leg drive as possible. I ended up just squat jerking it.

It's worth mentioning that my best overhead jerk ever is around 100kg. My best strict press now stands at 170, my best DB push press is about 130 with either arm and my best KB push press is 132 with either arm. I'm apparently much better at DB pressing.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

[i'm apparently much better at DB pressing.

Good! Now Jerk the inch!

Working on it.

Had a good squat workout today. Must be the weather.

Back squats

135x5

225x3 Front squat singles

315x1

320x1(post op pr)

325x1(post op pr)

315x1

315x1

300x3(had 5 in me)

300x2(stalled hardcore on the last one and ended up pseudo-backlifting it instead of bailing out)

275x0 (Front squat) felt light and came out of the bottom strong but stalled at the same spot as the 3rd rep of 300.

275x5

275x5

245x0 (Front squat) leaned too far forward coming out of the hole and lost balance.

That 275 front squat attempt was perfect, in the groove and felt strong. I just wasn't strong enough for it. The way it felt makes me feel that, at least for today, I am nearly back to my original front squat strength. I'll get a 315 front squat by the end of April I think. No question about it.

I'm getting extremely close to lifting my Loadable Inch. I had a few solid lifts to 6" or so, off the ground, almost completely stopped the rotation but couldn't get it more than halfway up. Also tried jerking the loadable. I managed a few almost-there reps righty and a pathetic failure lefty.

Lastly, I managed to lap my 250+ natural stone 2x's very easily. My knees were cold at this point and I didn't want to put them in too weird a position while cold, so I just called it a day there.

I'll be heading down to Tiffin University to train with Adriane Blewitt this Sunday. Will I finally learn how to throw heavy things properly? Stay tuned to find out. If anyone I know is qualified to teach me, then it's Adriane. If she can't help me, then no one can!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I'll be heading down to Tiffin University to train with Adriane Blewitt this Sunday. Will I finally learn how to throw heavy things properly? Stay tuned to find out. If anyone I know is qualified to teach me, then it's Adriane. If she can't help me, then no one can!

Adriane is one of the best I know of - you'll have fun and learn a lot. Give her a hug from me - she's a sweetheart.

Had a great time down in Tiffin with Adriane. Learned a bunch, as expected. I ended up tearing a good piece of skin off during the 28lb weight for distance. Felt great :pinch I think 37ft was my best mark on that. I also had some minor success with the glide-shot-putting technique. At the very least I managed to figure it mostly out. The caber training was somewhat bust, we used an 8ft 4x4 that still worked pretty well for our purposes. The wind certainly wasn't in our favor, but whatevs. We did a bit of messing about at the University gym afterwards. I worked up to a 203lb Axle C&J and several near misses at 213. DAMNIT! I was soooooooo close to 213. Managed to full clean the 213 at least once though... I think that's a pr... maybe? Barely missed 145 on her RT both hands, pulled 135 lefty and barely missed it righty.

Had a surprisingly disappointing deadlift day today.

2" Axle deads

210x5 DO

300x Almost DO

300x5 Mixed grip from here forward

370x3

430xhover

410x higher hover

390x I just flipping quit.

Attempted my natural stones outside. I'm fairly certain they're both 250+ but not 300. I can get them off the ground plenty, but lapping them is an issue.

Whipped out the 50kg KB and a keg that weighs ~95lbs loaded with water. Did a few full swings with the KB and a few 10-rep sets of presses with the keg in various positions. Moved on to the shot put after that. I am extremely consistent with this in the worst way. When more form is on, I throw both the 20lber and the 24.5lber about 20.5 ft. All the other times I throw I get the 20 and 24.5 within 19-20ft. I can do the same lefty.

Whipped out the 50kg KB and a keg that weighs ~95lbs loaded with water.

Can I ask where you got your 50kg KB from and how thick the handle is??

Whipped out the 50kg KB and a keg that weighs ~95lbs loaded with water.

Can I ask where you got your 50kg KB from and how thick the handle is??

I picked mine up at FBBC headquarters during one of their contests. I think it was in '08. John Beatty was offering to save people the cost of shipping by picking up the KB's for a decent rate. I jumped on board and bought a 50kg.

It's a fatty. I think the handle is around 1 3/8-1 1/2. I don't have it here with me, but it's a bit thicker than the new AKC bells, a lot thicker than the old AKC comp bells and a tad thicker than the Dragondoor bells. I'm thinking the brand name is powermax?

Squat day

Front Squats

135x5

225x3

245x3

275x0(almost there, stalled above where I did last session)

Back Squats

275x3

315x2(strong)

330x0

315x2

320x1

320x1

300x1

2HP

140x2

160x1

180x0

170xhalfway

170x1(strong)

180x1

193xhalfway(I weighed myself at 192 today)

193xhover

180x0

160x5 reps in under 1 minute.

Not feeling physically strong right now. My focus seems to be elsewhere this week.

Decided I'd start training to cert on the #3. Turns out I'm not too far off of CCSing my #3. My first attempt landed me less 1/4" off. I also attempted to CCS my RB260 and I would've pinched a credit card between the handles. I just about managed to close my #3 lefty. I'm not sure I could've made the handles come any closer to one another without them touching.

Also did a bit of sledge levering, nothing crazy.

Cool dude. You got a time frame in mind or gonna work on it a bit more to figure it out?

I plan on heading down to Sorinex for their Summer Strong event this year. That's still a pretty iffy trip, 12 hours is a looooooong drive without someone else in the car. If that pans out, I'd like to cert down there. So late June or so. It would actually be a day or two after my birthday this year.

That is right around our graduation date/potential moving date/couple strongman comps/couple highland games comps but I'm interested in heading down there, too, as I stated previously.

Let's keep in touch, for a change, and talk about it.

:rolleyes

That is right around our graduation date/potential moving date/couple strongman comps/couple highland games comps but I'm interested in heading down there, too, as I stated previously.

Let's keep in touch, for a change, and talk about it.

rolleyes.gif

Will do indeed.