Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

Picked up my #3 today, closed it righty, put it back down.

• Like 2

100 swings with my 8lb sledge

Deadlifts:

135x5

225x5

275x5(all done with thumbless grip up to here)

315x3(straps from here forward)

365x3

385xhover(The only thing holding me back is my head)

335x3

315x5

Did a few leg raises on my dip station and had planned to hold them at the top, but my abs are still spent from my last workout. So it turned into a very brief hold at the top with a decent negative. Did 5 of these.

Sloppy windshield wipers, 3 sets of 5 reps. These were done tucked and with my torso below horizontal, but each "rep" is the same as the period of a pendulum, so each rep starts on one side and ends on that side.

Finished with another 100 swings of my 8lb sledge.

Will be doing some handstand work later tonight.

Did a few kicks to handstands against a wall, approximately 20 total. Not so much intending to actually do handstands as get used to the motion. I'm not sure exactly how to train these, haven't looked it up as extensively as the other movements. I developed a cramp in my left wrist trying to use a different width grip, so I called it for now. Going to do a bit more studying on these tonight.

If anyone has any suggestions, then I'm all ears.

For some reason, it took me this long to buy some gymnastic's rings, but I finally did. Became briefly acquainted with them today. Don't have a lot of time in the afternoons with work the way it is this time of year, but I'll be damned if heaven or hell could pull me away from these things now. I absolutely cannot believe how much fun these things are.

The only really quantifiable thing I did was 5x5 dips on them, which was eff you see kay - ing awesome.

Tried a few front levers, tucked levers, pullups, muscle up attempts(I just don't understand this movement, but I'm assuming I'm not strong enough at this point), and some rotations. I was using them for all of 25 minutes and I can already feel how good a buy this was. More to come.

Started with 100 swings with an 8lb hammer, switching leading hands at 50 swings

Rings

3x3 slow, controlled dips(much more difficult than just trying to go up and down)

All this pike stuff was more to practice form and stability than to really stress the abs, nonetheless it was a solid ab workout.

Pike holds

3s

4x5s

Pike pullups

3x5

Leg lifts

3x5

Hanging leg lifts

1x5

Rotations(going from tucked front lever to tucked rear lever, practicing arm and grip positioning)

3x3

Dip station dips with alternating Pullups on bar

dips x 10

pullups x 10

dips x 6

pullups x 6

Finished with another 100 swings with the 8lber.

More handstand work and pike work tonight.

Did a bit of rings today again. I'm recovering from these workouts faster, and my abs aren't as sore from all the pikes as they used to be when I trained those more infrequently, so it's probably time to increase the pace/intensity soon.

Dips

BWx10(muscle group most sore after this... pectorals)

BWx5

BWx5(started to lose form at 3)

German Hangs(pretty sure that's what they're called, just get your arms in position for a rear lever, but let your body hang until you feel a stretch in your shoulders, but not deeper than what you can pull out of)

Pretty much 3x3 with just the german hangs, but it became tucked front-to-rear lever rotations after that.

Did a few sets of 3 pullups. Still trying to get used to the false grip, and I'm still not entirely sure I've been doing it right either. Will go all academic on that fecal matter tonight and get it sorted.

And eventually I'll write down some of the handstand work I've been doing after these workouts... but today might not be the day... not sure yet.

50 swings with my 10lb hammer, pretty sure I'm ready to move up to 100

DO Deadlifts

135x5

225x5

315x5

335x3

365x3

375x1 + a hover

345x3

315x3

Ring Dips

5x5

Ring pike position leg lifts

x5

x5

Hanging leg raises

x5

x5

Windshield wipers

x3 starting left

x3 starting right

x3 starting left

x3 starting right

Sitting leg raises

x10

x10

Ran a mile

Ran a mile and then walked the same distance on sharper gravel.

German hangs with pulls to rest position

3x5

Ring Pike holds

3x5s

Front lever to rest pulls, straight lower back

x8

Ring dips

5x5

Ring pullups

5x5

100 swings with my 10lb hammer

Found a climbing partner and a climbing gym that isn't a bajillion miles away, AND a solid gymnastics gym less than 20 minutes away. This week will be a good week. Will hit some more handstand work, flags, etc.

Ran a mile

Did some 2HP for the first time in a long time. 100% humidity, no air conditioning, basically outside in the sun, 83 degrees, polished setup:

125x3

135x3

165x1

165x1

165x1

175x1

175x1

125x5x5

Actually felt pretty good. Also, how is the 2HP contested now? Is there a specific competition setup, or is it just one brought by the organizer that's been trained on?

Messed about a bit on the rings again, nothing serious yet.

Dips

3x10

Leg lifts

3x5

Sitting leg lifts

3x10

Pseudo Planche pushups(hands at waist)

3x10

A LOT of messing about, twisting on the rings, swings on parallel bars, some full V sit attempts, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea how to train BW exercises effectively. The best I can figure, they should be separated into pushing/pulling movements. I assume they follow the same general rules as free weights in that low reps on a difficult move builds more strength than a dozen reps on a very easy move. The obvious difference being that, since the goal is not a weight but a static position, the lower-difficulty moves still have a place in any given session. That being said, I haven't really done an awful lot of effective training outside of pike work and deadlifts. The reason for that is that those are the most familiar movements, and I've been doing both for years on some level. So, I'll put up a few simple goals for now and keep trucking...

Advanced Tuck Planche, 5s hold

Full V-sit on ground, 5s hold

Stable Gymnastic Handstand(pretty much just a confident handstand)

405 Deadlift(...again, though it seems that goal keeps popping up as I get lighter)

BW Pinch(...again)

Oh, and on that BW Pinch goal, if you read my pinch workout a few days ago, then you saw that I lifted 175 a few times. My current BW is hovers around 180-185, so it would appear I'm not too far off of that one. Best ever was a 190+ pinch at 190lbs, and it appears my relative strength hasn't decreased all that much.

Deadlifts

135x5

225x5

315x3

335x3

365x3

385x1(was definitely hard, but getting stronger)

365x3

315x3

All together I did about 50 or so pullups with varying grip widths, torso positions, and bouncing between rings and bar in under 30 minutes. Went to exertion.

100 swings with the 10lb hammer(Also, I was asked about these. Every rep lands in dirt, which absorbs the blow, and is lifted out without any real or consistent bounce and swung from overhead. I switch which hand leads the hammer every 25 or 50 reps.)

Did some 2HP. Didn't have a lot of time or energy to spend since I worked another 13hr day today.

Warmed up with 50 10lb hammer swings.

2HP

125x3

135x3

145x3

155x3

145x3

135x3

135x3

135x3

135x3

135x3

125x3

125x3

Decided to do a lot of volume to help hammer home the new thumb positioning, didn't do so hot as I went back to my old ways without fully realizing it near the end. Ended up tearing. Whatevs, not bad enough to stop me from doing this again in a few days.

SLS's(Single-leg-squats)

Rx5

Lx5

Rx5

Lx5

Rx5(assisted)

Lx5(assisted)

Sitting leg raises(also spread my legs at the top until my knees hit my elbows)

x5

x5

x5

Explosive BW glute-ham raises.

Finished with 50 more 10lb hammer swings.

This week sucked. Moved 12 tons of rock by shovel, laid 1280 pieces of sod, had over 40 deliveries, made the mistake of running barefoot on gravel last saturday which caused blisters that persisted throughout all of the previously mentioned tasks. Ended up with blisters on just about every side of my feet from walking oddly, and then had unusually sore lower legs because of that. Did this yesterday:

Deadlifts:

135x5

225x5

315x5

365x1

385x1

395xhover

365x5

335x5

315x5

Ring pullups

5x5

A few more sets of 5 pullups with different grips

3 tucked front and back levers, given the week I've had, this wasn't too bad.

100 swings with my 10lb hammer.

Ring work:

Dips

3x10

Russian Leg Lifts

1x3

1x5

1x5

Leg Lifts

5x5

Pike Holds

5x5s

Dip station leg lifts

1x10

Windshield wipers x 3 sets of going until I dropped. Didn't end up taking long, probably 5-7 reps total.

Dips

3x5

Dip Station Work:

Swings to Planche

1x10

1x5

1x5

Swinging tuck planche dips(swing to tuck planche, dip, release and restart)

3x5

Pseudo Planche pushups(hands at waist, feet on floor)

3x5(form became compromised by the end)

Straddle Dragon Flags

2x5

100 swings with my 10lb hammer.

I'm going to start adding in more dragon flag work and mix it up between gymnastic and conventional style. Gymnastic style essentially means you keep your torso at 45 degrees and use a larger ROM moving mainly your lower body. Anyone who actually bothers to read this log is probably wondering when they'll see serious grip work. It's coming. I haven't bothered to post when I dabble with things here and there, just to "test the waters" as it were. I've been trying to get some qualifying lifts on camera and I'm close, but I'm thinking it's just too little too late at this point. Regardless, I'll be at Nationals.

Deadlifts

225x5

315x3

355x3

355x3

355x3

385x2

335x3

315x3

Ring Work

Started off testing my ring v-sit to see where I'm at. I can reasonably comfortably get into position, but what I lack is the flexibility to, under power, bring my legs as close to my body as required.

3x3 German Hangs

3x3 tucked rear lever and tucked front lever

5 front lever negatives

Pullups

BWx10

BWx5

BWx5

CG bar pullups x 5

CG Chins x 5

Finished with 60 swings of my 10lb hammer.

I went into today feeling pre-taxed. Wasn't supposed to work yesterday, ended up working 12 hours and shoveled/hauled rock for 7 of those 12 hours. Definitely affected me.

This is actually Monday, June 4th's workout. Came back into the gym a bit more refreshed despite Sunday's workout. Went all over hell and back the last few days and this workout was actually quite late at night, haven't hardly been on the computer, so this is mostly from memory.

Ring Dips

3x10

Handstand pushups(only went halfway down on most of these, definitely much weaker on these than I was in the past which explains my current handstand issues.)

3x3

Pseudo Planche Pushups(done with feet against a wall so I can only lean forward and not back to make it easier.)

3x5

Swings to Planche on Dip station

3x10

Tried out swinging dips for the first time, those are a ton harder than I thought they'd be. When I managed to keep the body tight, knees and ankles locked, I would swing to one side or the other. Perhaps having something more stable than a wobbly dip station would be better. Also tried some support swings on rings, have to build up a bit more courage/strength to do these effectively.

Tuck Planche dips

3x5

100 swings with my 8lb hammer

Doesn't look like much, but my shoulders and tris were complete toast, mostly from the swings.

Messed about with 2HP, started a tiny tear when I hit 155 and called it there. Haven't felt strong on this since I first pulled 175 again a few weeks ago and add to that, I tore both thumbs 2 weeks ago and they haven't had a lot of downtime since.

Ring Dips

3x10(getting easier, though the last 5 of the final set are still quite troublesome)

Handstand pushups(against wall)

3x3(much stronger than last week)

Pseudo Planche pushups

3x5(much better form than last week)

Swings to planche on dip station

4x5

Deadlifts

225x5

315x5

335x3

365x2

395x2

365x3

315x5

100 swings with my 10lb hammer, to reiterate, these are all swung from overhead and land on dirt, not rubber.

HS wall runs

3x10 each arm

Reverse Crunches(lie on your stomach and lift your chest off the ground with someone/thing holding you down at the waist)

3x10

Deadlifts

225x5

315x3

365x1

385x5(this was hard)

405x1

365x1(can't remember if 3 or 1)

315x5

315x5

315x5

Handstand pushups

x5

x3

x3

x3

Ring Dips

2x10

1x6

1x3

1x1

The last set kicked my ass after the HSPUs, so I did the last set in 3 parts.

Ring Pike holds

3x5s

Swings to planche on dip station

3x5

Reverse Crunches

3x10

Wall Runs

3x10 each arm

For some reason, it took me this long to buy some gymnastic's rings, but I finally did. Became briefly acquainted with them today. Don't have a lot of time in the afternoons with work the way it is this time of year, but I'll be damned if heaven or hell could pull me away from these things now. I absolutely cannot believe how much fun these things are.

The only really quantifiable thing I did was 5x5 dips on them, which was eff you see kay - ing awesome.

Tried a few front levers, tucked levers, pullups, muscle up attempts(I just don't understand this movement, but I'm assuming I'm not strong enough at this point), and some rotations. I was using them for all of 25 minutes and I can already feel how good a buy this was. More to come.

just reading your log, i suspect you would be pretty close to a muscle up. weighted pull ups and weighted dips are the 2 things you need to practice to be able to get the muscle up. do these on stable bars. also on the rings, take your dips really low. you'll get it soon enough.

just reading your log, i suspect you would be pretty close to a muscle up. weighted pull ups and weighted dips are the 2 things you need to practice to be able to get the muscle up. do these on stable bars. also on the rings, take your dips really low. you'll get it soon enough.

I actually managed a muscle up out of the blue a few weeks ago. Have been doing them on-command without issue since. Just one of those weird things I did once and that was all it took.

I actually managed a muscle up out of the blue a few weeks ago. Have been doing them on-command without issue since. Just one of those weird things I did once and that was all it took.

if you have the strength, it is just a skill to learn. you learned the skill. i was obsessed with getting it for a long time. the obsession did make me stronger though. once i mastered it, i barely do them anymore.

Ring pullups

Pronated x10

Supinated x10

Neutral x10

Straight bar tucked pullups

Supinated x10

Pronated x10

Ring leg lifts

3x5

Dip Station

3x10

Single leg squats

3x3 each leg

24" box jumps

2x10

Sitting leg lifts

2x10

Deadlifts

225x5

315x3

365x3

405x3

415x1

385x3

365x3

315x5

Pseudo Planche pushups

3x5

Ring dips

5x3(5 sets of 3 slow-descent reps)

Swings to Planche(starting to feel some control at the top, not much, but enough to get into hollow position at the top of each swing and slow my descent)

3x10

German Hangs (3 second hold at the bottom)

3x3

Reverse crunches

3x10

• 3 weeks later...

Deadlifts

225x5

315x3

365x3

405x2

315x10

Ring dips

3x10

Ring leg lifts, up to V position

3x5

Didn't have but 20 or so minutes today. Decided to squeeze in something at least. Will do more tomorrow.