Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

Youngun - where ya been? Great to see you back again!!

Can't remember everything from WSH, but I did terrible. My pinch, as expected, went down considerably after not touching a 2HP for 12 months, and my thickbar, rather annoyingly, stayed at practically the same strength. I found I do not like griptopz, and that gripper strength stays with you for some time.

Also did a few axle pulls, nothing crazy but as they were deadlifts, I suppose I should mention I did 250, 260, 270, 290 and 300 for a few reg grip deads.

Quick deadlift session

DO

135x5

225x5

275x5

315x1

315x2 lefty

315x2 righty

375xhover

275x5

225x5

Bent a St. Croix Reg Rim #3, closed my RB260 righty for a few, 2.5 lefty for a few and came within 1/8" of closing my #3 righty. I'm still re-figuring out my set, so I expect grippers to get better quickly.

Bent an old hard bastard, an 8" Edgin and an 8" galvanized spike DO then bent a Diamond Special 5. Pleasantly surprised at how little bending strength I've lost. Bending really is a technique thing.

Bent an old hard bastard, an 8" Edgin and an 8" galvanized spike DO then bent a Diamond Special 5. Pleasantly surprised at how little bending strength I've lost. Bending really is a technique thing.

Nice! That's what I've found too. Bending is so technique related, you really don't lose much if you keep your wrists and overall body strong.

Did some squats today. I was planning on doing more, but not doing squats for 12 months, then doing squats... it quickly becomes evident how lazy your quads have gotten.

135x10

135x5x2 Front squats

225x1x3

135x5

It looks dismal I know, but while the weight didn't feel heavy, I was really worried about cramping up mid-squat. I went an jogged a quarter-mile barefoot on gravel after squats.

Great bending, you aren't missing a beat here

Did some more deadlifts. Still slowly getting back into it.

135x5

225x5

315x5 quick singles

335x2

Squats

135x5

225x3

Front Squats

135x3x5

Did some z-presses with various weights that I can't recall, up to 145(which was terribly hard), and did 3x5 with 110.

I have not been around long enough to welcome you back, but welcome back anyways! :)

Wide grip chins

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5 Close grip

Pullups

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

Zpresses, I've taken to doing these in a near-gymnastic split position as opposed to with my feet straight ahead. No reason, just because I can.

95x5

95x5

95x5

115x3

125x2

95x5

...Yeah, in a split position its a bit tougher.

Deadlifts

135x5

225x5

315x3

335x2

315x3

Then jogged a half-mile.

Wide grip chins

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5 Close grip

Pullups

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

Zpresses, I've taken to doing these in a near-gymnastic split position as opposed to with my feet straight ahead. No reason, just because I can.

95x5

95x5

95x5

115x3

125x2

95x5

...Yeah, in a split position its a bit tougher.

Deadlifts

135x5

225x5

315x3

335x2

315x3

Then jogged a half-mile.

Can't wait to do free weights again, seeing your log is putting the fire in my a...keep going man

• 2 weeks later...

Did 365 and 385 deadlifts after WSH, happy. They were tough, but still doing well considering when I last actually trained the DL.

Did turrble in the event, failed at 150 on the 2hp, and then pulled it very easily on a wider setup with a torn thumb web after the event was over. Did lvl 14 on the vulcan, which I was happy about. I failed narrowly on 15 last year with the same set, and have touched my grippers literally once since that time, so I was happy with that. I still hate the griptopz. I don't like the whole tiny-surface pinching thing. I get annoyed when I can't put a 25 on something and rep it, so maybe that's it.

• 3 months later...

It's been tough getting out to the shop where my weights are housed. For the most part, this winter has been exceptionally harsh and ironically not due to the weather. I've had a hard time saving up enough cash just to pay for gas to go to school, let alone my shop(which is even farther away than school and in the opposite direction). Hopefully this weather is an indication of a very early spring!

That being said, I managed to get out to the shop a few times since my last post. I've mostly just been able to do KB complexes and run near home. Managed to do another barefoot mile on gravel in 30 degree weather last week too.

• 3 weeks later...

Abnormally warm weather around here. It's been averaging somewhere between 30-45 degrees all month and it's only getting warmer. Managed to get around 8-10 miles of barefoot gravel runs in since my last post. Also managed to get a ride to my weights on a regular basis, so that situation should be remedied for now.

Highlights of the last few weeks:

345 for a few reps deadlift

245 for a few reps squat

225 for a few reps Fsqt

165 OHPP

135 Zpress for a few

closed my #3 for the first time in probably a year

levered my 12 for a few

My right knee likes to suddenly get mad at me for whatever reason nowadays. Reconstructed knee is still going strong.

Went to Durniat's for his weekend get-together. Loved seeing everyone again, and hopefully I'm able to continue doing so. Anywho;

I failed miserably at all things pinch.

I failed miserably at all things crush.

I failed miserably at all things thickbar.

I deadlifted 375, continuing my steady progression back to where I used to be.

Hadn't bent a single thing in over a year, then bent a Red in IMP. Took a bit longer, but meh. I'm happy with it.

Managed a few dragon flags and, by golly, forgot to try some human flags like I wanted to.

Also, if you read this Andrew, not sure if I told you today, but the gym is firetrucking amazing.

• Like 1

Went to Durniat's for his weekend get-together. Loved seeing everyone again, and hopefully I'm able to continue doing so. Anywho;

I failed miserably at all things pinch.

I failed miserably at all things crush.

I failed miserably at all things thickbar.

I deadlifted 375, continuing my steady progression back to where I used to be.

Hadn't bent a single thing in over a year, then bent a Red in IMP. Took a bit longer, but meh. I'm happy with it.

Managed a few dragon flags and, by golly, forgot to try some human flags like I wanted to.

Also, if you read this Andrew, not sure if I told you today, but the gym is firetrucking amazing.

Glad you could make it out. Great seeing you again. We'll train together again soon.

Had a slower workout yesterday what with saturday being the trip to Durniat's place, but whatevs.

Skwats

135x10

155x8

175x6

195x4

225x2

225x2

225x2

245x2

255x1(re-starting pr)

255x0(the sun was in my eyes)

100 swings with a 6lb hammer

ran most of a mile, walked approximately 1/3 of the way, barefoot on gravel yadda yadda

looked at my 2HP setup, imagined a new re-starting pr, which is a pr considering I haven't even thought about it in the past 2 years

• 1 month later...

I've still been working out, but it's been difficult getting my motivation back. It's remarkable how hard it is to focus on things like this when you have other life-things to worry about. That being said, I am still slowly getting back into it. I had to change in order to do so. I'm doing more high-rep work, 5x5's and sets of 10's, etc when it comes to weightlifting and more bodyweight exercises. For some reason, I'm bored out of my mind with the big 3 lifts and powerlifting in general, so I'm going back to what got me into strength sport in the first place: Gymnastics. Now to pull out that old mushroom and parallelettes(that's what they're called right?) that I never actually had.

All that being said, I've taken to swinging sledgehammers pretty nicely. 100 reps at a time with my 6lber and I've started into doing 50 reps with my 8lber. I'm mixing it up with the sledge, using different grips, swinging differently, etc.

I've been running more and more frequently, and I'm at somewhere between 1-2 miles whenever I do go jogging. If I could find a good substitute for this most awful of experiences, then I'd jump on it. I've been trying to run about every other day, but it's difficult given my job atm. If I've shoveled river rock for 5 hours, then running after/before that can be a bit more than I can to deal with in a day, so I adjust.

Bodyweight is right at 180 atm, and I'll be continuing to cut the fat out consistently like I have been this past month or so.

Workout from today

8lb sledge x 100 swings, 50 per leading hand

Dip station dips:

BWx10

BWx10

BWx10

Did lots of front lever-ish things on the pullup bars, but nothing too involved just yet. I'm still working my shoulders back into this stuff and figure that, given my track record, it's best I play it safer than not. That being said, I did a few 360's, a few swinging tucked FL negatives and number of pullups with a bent-wrist grip.

After that was all said and done, I went back to the dip station and did:

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

BWx10(with roughly 10 min or so between the last set and this one)

I did do a few leg lifts on the dip station, a few horribly sloppy windshield wipers on the pullup bar and then I got to the dragon flags:

Straddle Dragon Flag(henceforth known as SDF)

BWx3

BWx3

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

Sitting leg lifts x 3 x 10

Straddle rotations 3 x10 (Not sure what these are called, but you sit with your legs out as far as you can put them, lift them and then rotate them in small circles simultaneously)

I've also been working back into my stretching, though it is far more comprehensive and consistent this time around. I used to just do pretty much everything involving the hips and lower back, then that was it, but I've started doing everything now. Low-intensity, albeit nearly-clueless, gymnastic-style stretching.

Will probably work some handstands in later today, and tomorrow I run.

Went for a jog today, went around a mile or so, not sure exactly, but most likely slightly over a mile. I've had to cut back on the barefoot running for now. I've been working about 40-50hrs a week and I'm on my feet for most of it. I wear Vibrams at work also, so running barefoot on gravel AND walking around at work 45hrs a week almost barefoot can take it's toll even on my feet.

I'm actually really surprised how sore my chest is right now. I wasn't expecting all the dips and the few swinging movements I've done in the last 2 workouts to hit my chest as hard as they have. A welcomed surprise. I never liked benching anyway. Now to find something to replace running completely...