Training For The #4

CoC#3

Some great progression would be stuff like G5s (6", 5.5", 5" etc), 5/16" HRS, 1/4" Square, G8s, 1/4" Stainless Square, bastards, etc. Stuff like that is all easier than a Red and that list is pretty much in order of progression depending on strength of stock. I would suggest making an order from FBBC for bastards 1/4" sq. and 1/4" SS Sq. Just so you know, the new Reds are INSANE and cal at around 460 lbs according to Aaron, making them between a new bastard and a hexabastard so they are stiff and it'll probably take a lot of training

460lbs!! What does, say, a hard 60d nail come in as for comparison?

Do you think the advanced bag from FBBC would be a good bet? This contains much of the stock you mention and a bit more.

Just out of interest what is your best bend using the IM wraps only?

I'm not entirely sure as 60ds very A LOT. But some of the harder ones cal around 300 lbs. And even some go as high as 400 but those are very rare. But you also have to factor in the kink difficulty on a 7" piece of stock over a 6" piece so they aren't very compareable. you did say you've bent a yellow right? For a more accurate comparison because they are the same length yellows cal at around 250ish pounds, so yes, there's a BIG difference.

I think the advanced bag would DEFINITELY be your best bet. I might also advise you on getting some leather wraps and crush pads for down the road when you want to bend bigger stuff than a Red, and the crush pads you could probably use right now.

I just got my IM pads a week ago and I don't use them single wrapped or haven't yet at least but in very thin leather wraps (around 3/4" wrapped) I have bent a G5.

Edited by vikingsrule92

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• egg_uk

• pdfk20

• Alawadhi

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. I can't bend a yellow, only the blue. 7'' is too long for my DO flexibility at the moment - having big shoulders and arms contributes to this. I bend best at 6'' and shorter.

What exactly are crush pads? I'm a n00b at bending terminology, lol.

Thanks again for the info dude.

Ouch. I can't bend a yellow, only the blue. 7'' is too long for my DO flexibility at the moment - having big shoulders and arms contributes to this. I bend best at 6'' and shorter.

What exactly are crush pads? I'm a n00b at bending terminology, lol.

Thanks again for the info dude.

Well then if you want to bend a Red you should work on bending stuff in the high DO position. work on light stuff so you can get the form down and you could also try an idea that Aaron had. You see he has a 7" piece of 3/4" thick (I think that's how thick it was) of polycarbonate rod. It's very flexible and great for warming up and working on the high Do position for bigger guys. That's how we were working with Brandon (BrandonA) since he has the same problem as you. You might want to pm Aaron and ask him how thick it was and where he got it. You could also get a Red or a yellow for that matter and just try your best to get it high and do an iso sort of thing to stretch your shoulders. After a while of doing stuff like this you should be better at the DO position. For this reason you might want to buy some 3/16" square or something like that from FBBC in additon to the advanced bag.

Crush pads are thick pieces of leather (around 3/8" thick) that are like 3" x 2" that help you when you get to the crushdown on a bend. If you watch Aaron's KOAB video or 11/32" SS video you'll see him using some near the end to help finish the bend.

No problem man, always happy to help.

Edited by vikingsrule92

I dont advice you using leather because you goal is to cert on the red nail. Just keep bending with IM pads. you will get used to it. When you certify(sp?) on the red then use leather. About the sholder dont bend high. I dont use it because i doesnt feel good there. watch my video or watch jedd bending the big G5. He also uses that method. I am used to that method and its ok for me.

For the progress I suggest first go bend a yellow nail go get the feel for it. the nail must be bent over your fingers. it will hurt at first but like i said you will get used to it. I have bent a 70d in IM pads that was harder than the 385 pounds bastard. probably 400 pound at 7". After the yellow try the 5.5 blue, the 5" blue, then G5, the 5.5, then 5.25, then g8, 1\4 fbbc sq, then 5" g5, 6.5 ss sq fbbc, then 5.5 g8. Its a nice progress. At least for me. But don't forget to always bend things at 7 inch to have the feeling for it. And for you strength it wont be long to bend the red. way sooner than you think. find a bender near you and let him teach you how to bend and you will be bending the reds in no time. probably the first time.

grippers, stuff with the new #3, including reps, OCs etc...

VG work

bending - im wraps

bluex1,1,1

8mm galvanised steel screw rod (5.5'') x 1

redx0 (iso work)

greenx1 (arms length)

whitex1

bending

warmup - IM blue x 1

shoulder stretches

yellow x 1 (first time my flexibility has allowed me to bend at 7'' properly)

yellow x 1

yellow x 1

yellow x 1

bluex1

bluex1

red isos x 2

2 greens at the same time x 1 (easy)

4.5''x1/4'' CRS 45 degree bend - couldn't finish it

bluex1

Edited by CoC#3

Nice bending Sam. :rock Once you get used to the extra stretch you'll be able to handle 7" no problem! :laugh:laugh:laugh

You mentioned a flexiblility issue in the shoulder area, have you ever tried stretching with a broomstick? Take a broomstick and hold it at arms length with your hands as far apart as possible and maneuver it overhead and down to your lower back while keeping your arms straight. It's a real a$$ kicker this stretch but trust me, my brother is 5'6" 220 and decently muscular but has the flexiblitiy of a concrete block and it's helped him tremendously. Do like 20-50 reps, the object is to keep moving your hands in on the broomstick until you can't move it overhead and work from there.

Thanks Lads.

The red isos are helping my shoulder flexibility.

Yellows were going down in 5 secs yesterday, the other day i couldn't kink a yellow but blues were easy for me all the way. I am feeling more comfortable at 7''. High DO has taken me time to get used to, with arms around the 19'' mark it's not easy to get them up there.

I am going to tape a white to a blue and see how i get on with that. I have a few grade 5s that Pete sent me - i might give these a shot next time aswell. I wish IM would make something between blue and red - the jump is a bit big here.

I have 2 blisters in the centre of my palms from all the bending recently, so i'm going to give it a few days before i bend anything else.

Haven't trained today, also had to take tonight off work - got some sort of a bug that is causing a fever, cough, stomach pains etc...

Thanks Lads.

Yellows were going down in 5 secs yesterday, the other day i couldn't kink a yellow but blues were easy for me all the way. I am feeling more comfortable at 7''. High DO has taken me time to get used to, with arms around the 19'' mark it's not easy to get them up there.

I am going to tape a white to a blue and see how i get on with that. I have a few grade 5s that Pete sent me - i might give these a shot next time aswell. I wish IM would make something between blue and red - the jump is a bit big here.

I have 2 blisters in the centre of my palms from all the bending recently, so i'm going to give it a few days before i bend anything else.

Haven't trained today, also had to take tonight off work - got some sort of a bug that is causing a fever, cough, stomach pains etc...

I think its Bending Fever... Take some time off, heal up, come back stronger. Your doing great.

- Aaron

Thanks Lads.

I think its Bending Fever... Take some time off, heal up, come back stronger. Your doing great.

- Aaron

Haha yeah I agree. It'll take some time to get used to the high DO position but in the long run it'll be very beneficial. Yeah the jump from Blue to Red is big, but that's what FBBC is for :laugh

LOL, Aaron! bending fever! :D

Derek, the idea of chalking the IM wraps no doubt helped aswell yesterday. Thanks for that one.

Edited by CoC#3

LOL. Cell tech built Jay Cutler! :whistel:whacked;)

Today's session

still got a cold so was sweating awefully all through this workout, some reason i'm back to full strength

RH - 40 #3 closes.

Then did filed #2, RB210, MM1, 2006 #3, 2007 #3 right after one another.

A few CCS closes with RB210.

LH - bad blister / tear in centre of palm so did 2 finger closes only - filed #2x6, 06 #3xclose miss, #tx40, #tx40

grippers - lh rb330x2 braced, rh #3x2,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 all with wider sets than usual

bending - yellowx1,1,1 all easy, bluex1, 1/4''x5.5'' CRSx1

yesterday evening -

vice gripper work and TNS RB330N down to 5mm

tonight -

RH

VG up to 10,7 TNS reps also 12,6 vvn and 12,7 vn (a few mm on each)

Several attempts at MM1 CCS all vvn. A hair off. Sweep was a bit tired from the VG stuff.

#3.5 negs. Held near.

BBSE negs. Held near and opened slowly.

Higher reps VG stuff.

LH

everything with my LH was done inverted.

VG up to 12,7 TNS for 3 reps. Also 12,8 vvn then done for 4 reps with slight set

TNS MM1 (a few closes, most were either closed or missed due to poor hand placement)

#3.5x1 easy (deep set but not braced)

#3.5x1 nice long hold

BBSEx1 (PR!!!!!) about time.

#4xbraced down to 2mm then held at this distance unbraced

RB365 braced down to 6-7mm then held. (PR)

BBPRO neg (sucked)

BENDING

yellowx1,1,1,1 all finsihed i.e. crushed down bare handed but i used IM wraps for the kink etc...

Light bicep and shoulder stuff.