Training For The #4

CoC#3

Thanks for the compliments.

I have CCS'd a #3 RH before i have also TNS'd a #3.

Inverted #4 first. That's the plan. The next way i'll get it is magnus style i.e. deep set #3 fingers and from there i'll work out to CCS. All god willing and assuming no injury.

Today i did bending.

BENDING (DO) - IM wraps.

yellow x 1 crushed down bare handed

blue x 1,1,1,1 all in 2 hits and within 5 secs.

yellow x 1 bare handed crush down,

green x 1 behind head

LEVERING

8lb sledge to nose, rear, side and front levering aswell.

SHOULDER WORK

thick (60mm bell) used for db presses

30kgx10

30kgx5 very easy one arm at a time, strict and standing, good for the core.

30kgx3 snatched

40kgx1,1 snatched

KETTLEBELL WORK

15 swings each arm with 32kg bell.

8 swings each arm with 32kg bell with a towel round the handle for extra grip work.

BODYWEIGHT

Down to 239lbs, lowest i have been in a year and a half.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• egg_uk

• pdfk20

• Alawadhi

Top Posters In This Topic

just a note on my bodyweight - feels really good to be under 240. Much healthier, when i was around 260 i was unhealthy. 260 may not sound that heavy but if you are a dwarf (thanks twig for this flattering term) it's a LOT! ;):D

new #3 arrived today - repped it for 5 out the pack.

also got bag of nails - i managed to bend the blue with the im wraps. Took me about 10secs.

I just wanted to say that I have a new found respect for you (and everyone else that bends) after bending my first nail yesterday. You truly are a beast.

Sam has the strength to bend at least the 385 pounds bastard. I am sure. just a little hand toughness and better form he will smoke Reds easily.

No offence to Sam but whites, yellows and blues are nothing. A IM red is off another order and he's miles away. I don't bend anything but nails and bent blues and yellows when Sam and Viper came and did so while talking and using my usual style. Sam had the bars tucked under his chin and bent with some strength and strain.

And I never did more than kink a red.

Yes you're right Steve. Elizabeth bends cut down blues, and 5.5" Grade 5 bolts, and is still a mile away from bending a Red.

David

I didnt mean from bending blue then he's close on the red. No way. But I mean he has the strength. He is very strong. Little form and toughness is enought for him. Plus I think you (Steve) also have the strength to bend the red. No problem for you.

Edited by Alawadhi

But I don't and never did. At the GGC 2004 (my best 'bending year) I kinked one after bending a G5 and a G8 and that's as good as I ever was. Sam is stronger than me overhead but has a way to go on the bending.

Imo, if you're bending DO than its more of a technique issue than a strength issue. For me, its probably a total lack of shoulder flexibility as I can DO short stuff a lot easier. For example, Aaron (acorn) and I are pretty close strength wise upper body, but he smokes cut reds DO and I cant even kink them DO. Reverse is a different story though (IMO).

If you are talking about DO bending pretty much everyone who replied on this page can bend a red with coaching. Sorry Mobster but you ARE strong enough to bend one even right now, you just don't have the technique. I think that if you can benchpress more than 225 and have halfway decent wrist and hand strength a red is possible with coaching (with the "folding style"). There was a story about Big Steve I think it was. who got an average guy who worked at a hardware store and did not train grip to bend a red with something like half an hour of instruction

The guys at the GGC 2004 showed me the method but it never felt right to me and being shown just before you go on the platform is probably too late ha ha

The guys at the GGC 2004 showed me the method but it never felt right to me and being shown just before you go on the platform is probably too late ha ha

Ditto, Aaron, gave me some pointers, and I've tried several times, but I just dont feel strong in that postition. 4.5" and shorter - I feel tons stronger, which is why shoulder flexibility is my issue.

You need a 2007 coaching ;) 2004 the method was different and pads were not the same. As far as I know.

blues are easy these days. I need stock in between a blue and a red. IMO i will only class myself as a red bender when i can do it in IM wraps. I only ever bend in IM wraps anyway. I don't like the idea of starting on thick wraps.

that being said i'm miles off a red - shoulder flexibility is definitely the issue. I'll get it eventually. My shoulder strength is there, i have a 130kg overhead on an axle.

Steve is strong enough to bend a red. No doubt here.

blues are easy these days. I need stock in between a blue and a red. IMO i will only class myself as a red bender when i can do it in IM wraps. I only ever bend in IM wraps anyway. I don't like the idea of starting on thick wraps.

that being said i'm miles off a red - shoulder flexibility is definitely the issue. I'll get it eventually. My shoulder strength is there, i have a 130kg overhead on an axle.

Steve is strong enough to bend a red. No doubt here.

I'm right with you as far as bending goes. I worked up from the blue to 1/4"x7" hex and grade 5 bolts from FBBC. I still feel like the 5/16" stuff is invincible.

Is anyone able to bend a red without using DO grip, and bracing the nail under their chin and using their upperbody strength to bend and crush the nail? I cannot even get into position to do that, having very tight shoulders. I was happy back in the day to have bent a blue reverse grip and no bracing of any kind.

Is anyone able to bend a red without using DO grip, and bracing the nail under their chin and using their upperbody strength to bend and crush the nail? I cannot even get into position to do that, having very tight shoulders. I was happy back in the day to have bent a blue reverse grip and no bracing of any kind.

http://www.cyberpump.com/albums/album166/aaa.wmv

yesterday's session - gave the BBSE a good go with a wide set, also did af ew negs on my #4 LH and on my BBSE and #3.5 with RH. #4 negs almost held shut.

VG work - heavier work than usual here.

bending - yellowx1, bluex1,1,1,1,1,1 all these blues were done in 2 hits. Blues are too easy these days and my shoulder flexibiltiy is improving.

Once Sam gets the DO tech. dialled in good and proper, second nature groove style, the Red's only a matter of time(not too long)... I'd put good money on it! :rock

Great clip.

I think i will bend a red this year. By that i mean IM wraps red not toilet roll wraps red. Shoulder strength is there. Hand toughness is there. My flexibility is improving, losing 25lbs has helped here. When i was 260lbs i was pressing near 300 overhead but couldn't even bend a 60d hands up DO style because of flexibility issues. Technique still isn't there.

Great clip.

I think i will bend a red this year. By that i mean IM wraps red. Shoulder strength is there. Hand toughness is there. My flexibility is improving, losing 25lbs has helped here. When i was 260lbs i was pressing near 300 overhead but couldn't even bend a 60d hands up DO style because of flexibility issues. Technique still isn't there.