Brzenk Vs. Samuellson

Aftershock

Welcome to the board, John! It's great to have you here. I'm looking forward to your posts, since I'm 50% armwrestler and 50% grip-guy and a VERY BIG ARMWRESTLING FAN (as you can see it in my avatar)! Actually I started the hole grip thing 5 years ago to increase my armwrestling strength. It helped me a lot. Here on the board are also many guys that started with grip training and became also armwrestlers (I'm thinking about both Rob Vigeants, David Horne and Austin Slater f. e.).

Flo

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Static holds are dangerous because of tendon detachment, but I used to do crazy things when I was a bit younger.

I remember doing holds on a plate machine (not sure what the weight was Nautilus type machine) then I had a friend stand on the plates ....I remember him bouncing a bit to…

My static strength is much better than my lifting ability.

Free weights are hard for me standing because I’ve had a bad lower back since I was a kid.

I do gripers with my forearm flexed and hand curled in…not sure what I could do max….but I can do several with the trainer….

Yes armwrestling is the best exercise for the sport ….where else can you put that much power lifting type strain on the muscles used for armwrestling….because I relate it to power lifting I was never able to mix much weight lifting with the sport….I needed every bit of the full week to recover for the next pulling session.

I was doing prolo therapy the weeks before Letterman....My elbow was on fire and in no condition to pull.

But thanks....

I still struggle to keep that golfers elbow healthy.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Static holds are dangerous because of tendon detachment, but I used to do crazy things when I was a bit younger.

I remember doing holds on a plate machine (not sure what the weight was Nautilus type machine) then I had a friend stand on the plates ....I remember him bouncing a bit to…

My static strength is much better than my lifting ability.

Free weights are hard for me standing because I’ve had a bad lower back since I was a kid.

I do gripers with my forearm flexed and hand curled in…not sure what I could do max….but I can do several with the trainer….

Yes armwrestling is the best exercise for the sport ….where else can you put that much power lifting type strain on the muscles used for armwrestling….because I relate it to power lifting I was never able to mix much weight lifting with the sport….I needed every bit of the full week to recover for the next pulling session.

How do you get stronger pulling people weaker than you?

All I have to pull is my brother and he likes armwrestling just not how his arm feels after so it's hard to get him to pull. and it ends up doing nothing for me.

Do you think it is possible to become one of the best with just weights? Because This is how I train because of lack of training partners. Doing things like side pressure exercises among other things land what I call the Russian Curl....Where I rest my arm with elbow pointed inwards on my thigh......kind of a tilted angle....and then proceed to do a half bicep curl half rotator side pressure move.....I dunno if you have ever tried it. It looks like the pics on armpower.net......

thanks....Kyle

I was doing prolo therapy the weeks before Letterman....My elbow was on fire and in no condition to pull.

But thanks....

I still struggle to keep that golfers elbow healthy.

Whats prolo therapy?

Did your elbow condition come from armwrestling?

John, I've heard you're very close to a #3; is that with your wrist flexed like that :blink A #3 close like that is just scary. Rob Sasso is the only person I've ever heard of that could close a #3 in that method.

John, I've heard you're very close to a #3; is that with your wrist flexed like that :blink A #3 close like that is just scary. Rob Sasso is the only person I've ever heard of that could close a #3 in that method.

Nope NO chance of that....I have to do some more work to close the 3 ...I only get it about half way.

The problem is I have so many tournaments lately it doesn't leave much time for training with fun things like that....I spend most of my off time trying to heal.

John, I think it is a techniqual issue with the #3. I'm pretty sure your handstrength is there. Grippers are techniqual. If you learn to set the gripper and use chalk it will be closed in a few days.

I think I'm kinda right about what I've always thought on this matter - for AW, you need more open-hand strength, and not the strength to close a gripper, as a closed gripper is much smaller than anybody's hand... I mean, come on, John Brzenk is not even close on the #3? That is quite a shock! It's true what they say, grippers do need some specializing.

And jad: he said he does reps with the Trainer like that! And who is Rob Sasso? sounds strong!

I think I'm kinda right about what I've always thought on this matter - for AW, you need more open-hand strength, and not the strength to close a gripper, as a closed gripper is much smaller than anybody's hand... I mean, come on, John Brzenk is not even close on the #3? That is quite a shock! It's true what they say, grippers do need some specializing.

And jad: he said he does reps with the Trainer like that! And who is Rob Sasso? sounds strong!

Rob is an armwrestler from NY I think? He's a member here and supposed to be pretty close to a #4. My guess would be that with some technique help, John would be shutting it in short order if he couldn't shut it on the spot. I'm talking a normal MMset close on a "normal" #3 not some TNS of a mutant #3.

I've found my work with the grippers really helps when my opponent and I are both fighting to toproll. No, unless your an idiot or just very new to the sport, you don't go up there and try to squeeze your opponents hand to dust, but I think the strength built up from grippers transfers quite well to AW, at least for me personally. For example, I can cup my last two fingers quite tightly around the back of my opponents hand and which two fingers do you really close that last part of the gripper with...

I know the last two fingers play a huge part in grippers, hell, I just trained and my left pinkie is numb! Yeah, it seems gripsters have a noticeable advantage over the average Joe, or the average gym-buff; however, do top AW'ers really train with grippers much??

Hey John, I saw you at an AW tournament in Arlington TX in october. I was a competetor in the Amatuer division. I lost both of my matches :angry:. But ya, you're a freakin monster... just completely owned everyone. Nice to know you're on the board and i'll listen and learn from what you have to share.

I know the last two fingers play a huge part in grippers, hell, I just trained and my left pinkie is numb! Yeah, it seems gripsters have a noticeable advantage over the average Joe, or the average gym-buff; however, do top AW'ers really train with grippers much??

I don't know, but I doubt it. That said, I have an AW book and there is quite a big section dedicated to training crush; whether it be with grippers or a plate loader machine. They have pictures of the old, old, Tetting grippers and an old plate loader from way back. I also don't think it's any coincidence that Rob V has shot up through the ranks so fast and that he also happens to be one of the top grip guys in the world. I think his tremendous hand strength has helped him. Of course when you can do 1 arm pullups with weight and you're not a 140lber, you've got quite a bit of arm and back strength to begin with.

Rob seems to have inhuman strength in most areas, like crushing grip, pinch, back, arm... however, I've never heard of any feat that involved the wrists, wonder how strong are his... I know John's must be damn strong, wonder what he does for them, if wrist curls or what...

When I hear John Brzenk say that his goal is to be certified on the CofC#3, it is a little like the guy who climbs Mount Everest every year, several times a year -- for almost 25 years straight -- saying he is looking for a new challenge and would like to participate in the next four-mile charity walk-a-thon.

When I hear John Brzenk say that his goal is to be certified on the CofC#3, it is a little like the guy who climbs Mount Everest every year, several times a year -- for almost 25 years straight -- saying he is looking for a new challenge and would like to participate in the next four-mile charity walk-a-thon.

Outstanding post :rock

Funny as hell!

I think it's clear if John trained gripper seriously for a few months, the #3 would be a joke to him. He should go after the #4 :P

Funny as hell!

I think it's clear if John trained gripper seriously for a few months, the #3 would be a joke to him. He should go after the #4 :P

I hope he does go after the #4. As soon as he does the #3, the exposure to the AW's about our obscure sport will be tremendous! :rock I'll bet the gripper manufacturers are excited about it! I know I would be. :cool

Outstanding post :rock

:D

But he would not be able to finish the walk-a-thon lol lol

• 6 months later...

Yes people that was the real Mr. Brzenk came on board to share his knowledge. And where were all the Magnus S. backers now? LMAO! Those backers were so enamoured by the size of Magnus S. and they only go for bigger is better guy in AW. I am not surprise that how little people know about AW at the top level. I am sure the thought of beating Magnus S. is not even in Mr. Brzenk mind, nor beating Magnus S. would do any thing for an AWer of his caliber. I was more amusing than bothered by it any way..chuckle... < < fun to read BTW. Right Mr. Brzenk? :bow

Nope NO chance of that....I have to do some more work to close the 3 ...I only get it about half way.

The problem is I have so many tournaments lately it doesn't leave much time for training with fun things like that....I spend most of my off time trying to heal.

I think I know why some pro-armwrestlers have a problem with coc gripper. I was at Gary Ray's home in Houston who had wrestled against Mr. Brzenk before, and I was surprise that Gary could not close coc#1 neither. Coc #1 was easy for me, but does that mean my hand is stronger? Not a chance! AWers have phenomenal supporting grip, but not neccessarily crushing grip. It seemed that Gary's grip beyond the opponent's hand size is limited. His hand felt like iron to grip against, as so are all other pro-AWers I suppose. It is a evolution of the sport that required that kind of grip to compete. Gary could use scoop grip and picked up a 2".1/2 handle dumbbell easily for reps of rowing, while I couldn't even get it off the ground. I am sure Brzenk supporting grip level is even higher than that of Gary Ray a bit. It's hard to peel out the hand of pro AWer of such caliber. Unless that is you start the gripper work early in your AW carrer

Are you not convinced? try to grip up against any pro AWer and find it out for yourself. see if your crushing grip would do any thing to an AWer's hand. Don't take my words for it. :whistel

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pic from the swedish nationals 2007 from WorldofArmwrestling. Is magnus competing in armwrestling again?

http://www.worldofarmwrestling.com/images/...nus-forarms.jpg

• 4 months later...