Brzenk Vs. Samuellson

Aftershock

He can close a C.O.C. #4 and is said to have the world's strongest arms, and weighs a lot, I could imagine him beating some of the world's best within a year after he returns.

As strong as Magnus is, I do not think he is anywhere near to having the strongest arms on the planet; it would appear Denis or Alexey are much closer to that distinction.

The IronMind magazine says tat he is thought to have the strongest arms in the world. If he is thought to have the strongest arms, he must be in the top 10 at least. What makes it appear that Alexey and Denis are closer? Magnus's arms are way bigger than Voevoda's and he can close C.O.C. #4. They can beat him at arm wrestling probably, but that's due t technique, he is stronger than they are (Voevoda for sure).

I have seen threads on other boards suggesting that because Magnus broke Nathan Jones' arm, he must be inhumanly strong. What a lot of these novices and neophytes don't quite grasp is that injuring someone has virtually nothing to do with your power. It merely means that the injured person's bones were not able to handle the stress load generated by their own muscles.

I agree, however, that doesn't mean that Magnus has weak arms, either. His arms are incredible powerful.

With all due respect to Magnus, he wouldn't have a chance against John - not even a John at 187-pounds. What if Magnus trained a year in arm wrestling? Still, I would say little or no chance.

Maybe, it's hard to say. How much does Bill Brzenk weigh? He apparently killed Magnus, but it's hard to say how good Magnus would be if started arm wrestling again after 1 year. And I never said he'd beat John after 1 year, I said I could see him beating some of the world's best. ANd I could see that but you can't know for sure.

As for the size, Maybe Voevoda in the video with Denis, not the Voevoda that Mike Todd faced. Regarding strength, particularly bicep strength, Voevoda in shape and/or Denis now would smoke Magnus

albeit, not the virtually inhuman, 234-pound version of John.

You know what scares me about that version of him? That Bob said even though John's arm was probably at it's strongest at that weight in 2006, his hand was at it's strongest in the 90's, because he injured a finger someday and his hand has never been the same, or something like this. It would be scary to think he could have been even more dominating that what's shown in that Boomtown video.

All that means is that John might have struggled with a top-notch toproller in 2006 - yet if memory serves me correct, I don't think anyone even slowed John down in 2006, including some top-notch toprollers.

As for the size, Maybe Voevoda in the video with Denis, not the Voevoda that Mike Todd faced. Regarding strength, particularly bicep strength, Voevoda in shape and/or Denis now would smoke Magnus

What makes you say that? Voevoda to me looked bigger in 2004 than in the video with Denis. And yeah they could probably beat him at AW, but if they have stronger biceps, tey probably also have stronger forearms from arm wrestling, then that means they have stronger arms overall.idk why that'd be but Magnus is said to have the world's strongest arms. Magnus's arms are 23.6". Voevoda's are 21.65. At least that's what wookieepedia says, hmm, Voevoda's are bigger than I expected. Magnus can also curl in 2 hands over 300 lbs, can't remember the exact amount though.

Magnus getting beat 1990 world championships

http://www.worldofarmwrestling.com/index.p...iew&id=4282

I think this was in his AW prime. Magnus is a big powerful man who knows technique it would be cool to see him pull John. My money would be on John though.

Hey, thanks for posting a link to that video! :)

Do note though that that was in 1990. At the 1995 world strongman competition, he weighed 265 lbs, and now he weighs 343 lbs. Unless it says somewhere, it's impossible to know what he weighed in that video but by those earlier numbers he likely weighed 250 at the most, and probably weighed 240ish. At 343 lbs. he would be pulling in that same class I believe, but the extra 100 lbs. would help quite a bit, as would the strength he has gained since then.

Edited by Josh H

What makes you say that? Voevoda to me looked bigger in 2004 than in the video with Denis. And yeah they could probably beat him at AW, but if they have stronger biceps, tey probably also have stronger forearms from arm wrestling, then that means they have stronger arms overall.idk why that'd be but Magnus is said to have the world's strongest arms. Magnus's arms are 23.6". Voevoda's are 21.65. At least that's what wookieepedia says, hmm, Voevoda's are bigger than I expected. Magnus can also curl in 2 hands over 300 lbs, can't remember the exact amount though.

I think this was in his AW prime. Magnus is a big powerful man who knows technique it would be cool to see him pull John. My money would be on John though.

Do note though that that was in 1990. At the 1995 world strongman competition, he weighed 265 lbs, and now he weighs 343 lbs. Unless it says somewhere, it's impossible to know what he weighed in that video but by those earlier numbers he likely weighed 250 at the most, and probably weighed 240ish. At 343 lbs. he would be pulling in that same class I believe, but the extra 100 lbs. would help quite a bit, as would the strength he has gained since then.

I think Voevoda was bigger in 2004 and had bigger arms than Magnus. Even if they were only 21.65 vs Magnus's 23.6, Voevoda has a lot less fat on him than Magnus. I would imagine Voevoda, in shape, could rep 300 on the curl rather easily.

Edited by jad

I think Voevoda was bigger in 2004 and had bigger arms than Magnus. Even if they were only 21.65 vs Magnus's 23.6, Voevoda has a lot less fat on him than Magnus. I would imagine Voevoda, in shape, could rep 300 on the curl rather easily.

Do you know how hard 300 is? btw here is the pic, I heard that Magnus is holding up 400 lbs. in this pic:

http://www.magnus-samuelsson.net/en/defaul...Training_03.jpg

Also Magnus much stronger hands, and his wrists and forearms are probably close (all the grip and strongman stuff probably strengthens the lower arm just as much as AW does but in a different way).

Magnus may be fatter, yes, but I think he's like 20% bf, if he dropped down to Voevoda's bodyfat level he'd probably have like 22" arms. Magnus also has (had?) the world record for Rolling Thunder, which he broke 3 times in a row:

This video says he has the world's strongest arms:

To finish off my argument, here is a picture. This is from Ironmind Magazine Voulme 17 2008. My camera isn't top quality so it is a bit hard to read, but look carefully and you should be able to read:

'Sure, Magnus Samuelsson is known for having the world's strongest hands-arms, but don't think this World's Strongest Man winner neglects his legs. Courtesy of Magnus Samuelsson.'

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/23/057nf1.jpg

Of course everybody knows size doesn't matter in armwrestling at all but Magnus has came a long way since armwrestling and now he is much stronger i say if he had a few months of training for armwrestling i think he could definately give Brzenk a good match and possibly take him over not only because he has much more strength but because he also has the main strengths for armwrestling his wrists are absolutely amazing his grip of course is close to the top in the world and his arms are his arms that's all there is to say so again not because of his size I mean Dennis Rogers was 148 and he beat people over 350 pounds

Yeah, considering that Magnus is much bigger/stronger now than when he beat Nathan Jones, he could probably give Brzenk

a good run for his money if he took up AWing .

noooooooope

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Do you know how hard 300 is? btw here is the pic, I heard that Magnus is holding up 400 lbs. in this pic:

Do you know how strong Voevoda is? Curling big weights are his speciality.

http://www.magnus-samuelsson.net/en/defaul...Training_03.jpg

Also Magnus much stronger hands, and his wrists and forearms are probably close (all the grip and strongman stuff probably strengthens the lower arm just as much as AW does but in a different way).

I highly doubt his wrists are stronger and I'm sure Voevoda would have no problem getting hand control on him.

Magnus may be fatter, yes, but I think he's like 20% bf, if he dropped down to Voevoda's bodyfat level he'd probably have like 22" arms. Magnus also has (had?) the world record for Rolling Thunder, which he broke 3 times in a row:

He's got HUGE hands, he ought to be pretty good on it. And then what do you know, Mark Felix, who has even bigger hands, comes along and breaks the record. Does Felix have stronger hands than Magnus?

This video says he has the world's strongest arms:

It must be true then :D:D

To finish off my argument, here is a picture. This is from Ironmind Magazine Voulme 17 2008. My camera isn't top quality so it is a bit hard to read, but look carefully and you should be able to read:

'Sure, Magnus Samuelsson is known for having the world's strongest hands-arms, but don't think this World's Strongest Man winner neglects his legs. Courtesy of Magnus Samuelsson.'

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/23/057nf1.jpg

Not that it has a thing to do with pulling but considering Voevoda was an on the olympic bobsledding team, I'd guess he's probably got pretty strong legs too.

if Voevoda is as strong as you make him out to be, he must be able to overtake Mariusz with ease, no?

Let this thread die.....

It's a different kind of strength as far as comparing armwrestling with strongman competitions.

Mariuz isn't good at armwrestling either.

'They can beat him at arm wrestling probably, but that's due t technique, he is stronger than they are (Voevoda for sure).' josh h

I think the biggest misconception is that AW is more about technique than it is strength. You cant apply the technique without having the strength.

and also you sound like a big fan of magnus, as too i am, but i know the reality that even if magnus came back to arm wrestling it would ba while before he could pull against the top guns and actually win.

One of my first arm wrestles was with a guy that was about 5 stone heavier than me, he was unbeatin, and after i beat him easy, he told me what he could do on the bicep curl etc, and it was alot more than me. In AW you need to be strong in that certain position, and because he probably doesnt do that as he trains for WSM, thats why pullers, even if there smaller than him, will beat him cause they do train like that, thats what they solely train for. i think training the biceps will only help in certain positions.

And i dont think being able to close the COC4 means you have the best grip in the world, i dont think that will matter too much in arm wrestling, cause the grips are different. those are just my thoughts, have a nice day all. :p

" And i dont think being able to close the COC4 means you have the best grip in the world, i dont think that will matter too much in arm wrestling, cause the grips are different. those are just my thoughts, have a nice day all. :p "

Closing a #4 would allow the strength to put a crush down on the opponents hand.

Let this thread die.....

It's a different kind of strength as far as comparing armwrestling with strongman competitions.

my argument isn't that he can beat Brzenk or Voevoda, my argument is that the other guy said Voevoda's arms and such are stronger than Magnus'. if they are that strong then he should be able to compete in WSM right?

Let this thread die.....

my argument isn't that he can beat Brzenk or Voevoda, my argument is that the other guy said Voevoda's arms and such are stronger than Magnus'. if they are that strong then he should be able to compete in WSM right?

I'm no expert on WSM but I'd say Voevoda having stronger arms than Magnus doesn't mean he'll be competitive at WSM. And as far as him overtaking Mariuz: if you'r talking AW, then YES, with EASE

This whole topic brings up a good point. Strength is measured many different ways. For example back when I was a kid. I told a guy, "I'll bet I am stronger than all power lifters in the gym" He, of course, said I was crazy. Then I said, "I challenge anyone in the gym to a Wrist curl contest" They all declined and realized I was stronger than them. IN THAT EXERCISE

So to say one person is stronger than another is very misleading. It all depends on what exercise or event you are talking about.

To break it down even further. 14 years ago, Myself and a rock climber were having a Hand strength argument between AW and Rock Climbers. We tested our hands. He was much stronger at finger tip strength while I was much stronger at flat hand strength. SO....who had a stronger hand. Once again it depends on how you measure strength.

So who has stronger arms. Voevoda, Magnus, John. It really depends on how you measure.

I am cerrtain that Magnus is, overall, much stronger than John or Voevoda. BUT I bet anything that in certain Exercises, John and Voevoda are both much stronger than Magnus.

So...As in pertains to AW Magnus it not as strong as Veovoda or John. BUT in Strongman competition Magnus would kill both Veovoda and John.

Let this thread die.....

I'm no expert on WSM but I'd say Voevoda having stronger arms than Magnus doesn't mean he'll be competitive at WSM. And as far as him overtaking Mariuz: if you'r talking AW, then YES, with EASE

you were talking about Voevoda like he's all around strength is able to compete against someone like Magnus. you said because of his olympic bobsledding he should have very strong legs also. i don't understand what this is supposed to mean? i can only guess you are implying that he is close to having the same all around strength as Magnus. this is where i begin to doubt. i don't know about arm wrestling but i know about strength and i doubt Voevoda can be competitive with Magnus in WSM even in his weakened stage.

you were talking about Voevoda like he's all around strength is able to compete against someone like Magnus. you said because of his olympic bobsledding he should have very strong legs also. i don't understand what this is supposed to mean? i can only guess you are implying that he is close to having the same all around strength as Magnus. this is where i begin to doubt. i don't know about arm wrestling but i know about strength and i doubt Voevoda can be competitive with Magnus in WSM even in his weakened stage.

No, I think you extrapolated that from my post. Just so there is no confusion:

1. Do I think Voevoda could beat Magnus pulling? YES

2. Do I think Voevoda could out curl Magnus? YES

3. Do I think Voevoda could compete with Magnus at WSM? NO

4. Do I think Voevoda likely has strong legs due to his olympic bobsledding experience? YES and this comment was made in regards to someone posting a picture of Magnus doing legwork in a thread about AW??

4. Do I think Voevoda likely has strong legs due to his olympic bobsledding experience? YES and this comment was made in regards to someone posting a picture of Magnus doing legwork in a thread about AW??

voevoda wouldn't touch magnus in curling, grip, or wrist strength which are main things in armwrestling magnus was a decent armwrestler before he gained 80 more pounds of muscle let him get back into training for it and he would break voevoda like nathan jones :D

This whole topic brings up a good point. Strength is measured many different ways. For example back when I was a kid. I told a guy, "I'll bet I am stronger than all power lifters in the gym" He, of course, said I was crazy. Then I said, "I challenge anyone in the gym to a Wrist curl contest" They all declined and realized I was stronger than them. IN THAT EXERCISE

So to say one person is stronger than another is very misleading. It all depends on what exercise or event you are talking about.

To break it down even further. 14 years ago, Myself and a rock climber were having a Hand strength argument between AW and Rock Climbers. We tested our hands. He was much stronger at finger tip strength while I was much stronger at flat hand strength. SO....who had a stronger hand. Once again it depends on how you measure strength.

So who has stronger arms. Voevoda, Magnus, John. It really depends on how you measure.

I am cerrtain that Magnus is, overall, much stronger than John or Voevoda. BUT I bet anything that in certain Exercises, John and Voevoda are both much stronger than Magnus.

So...As in pertains to AW Magnus it not as strong as Veovoda or John. BUT in Strongman competition Magnus would kill both Veovoda and John.

Excellent Mr. Brown I concur! Ahem...Folk here forget this is AW area of the board. So all thing here should be AW related, and in this aspect then John Brzenk still the king and long with ohers AW champs worldwide. If this is in another board such as strongmen board then Magnus S. should be head and shoulder over any AWers. Since this is about AW battle, then NO ONE should discount John Br. against any body else who is NOT currently active in it and is not a top 10 AWers in the world. NO ONE! NO ONE regardless status in other strength sports. NO ONE!

On the world class level of heavy weight circuit of AW I doubt Magnus S. registers a blip on the AW radar yet! until provened otherwise. No disrect on my part by any mean! as much as I like the Magnus S.

'They can beat him at arm wrestling probably, but that's due t technique, he is stronger than they are (Voevoda for sure).' josh h

I think the biggest misconception is that AW is more about technique than it is strength. You cant apply the technique without having the strength.

and also you sound like a big fan of magnus, as too i am, but i know the reality that even if magnus came back to arm wrestling it would ba while before he could pull against the top guns and actually win.

One of my first arm wrestles was with a guy that was about 5 stone heavier than me, he was unbeatin, and after i beat him easy, he told me what he could do on the bicep curl etc, and it was alot more than me. In AW you need to be strong in that certain position, and because he probably doesnt do that as he trains for WSM, thats why pullers, even if there smaller than him, will beat him cause they do train like that, thats what they solely train for. i think training the biceps will only help in certain positions.

And i dont think being able to close the COC4 means you have the best grip in the world, i dont think that will matter too much in arm wrestling, cause the grips are different. those are just my thoughts, have a nice day all. :p

I realize fully that arm wrestling is as much about technique as strength, if not more so. And I also believe that Voevoda in his AW prime could crush Samuelsson now, and would probably crush 1990 Samuelsson, too. It would actually be interesting to see the current Voevoda take on Samuelsson, but even though Samuelsson is stronger and heavier, he has been out of AW longer and wasn't as good in the first place. So I would still place my money on Voevoda. What I am arguing though isn't that Samuelsson could beat Voevoda at AW, I am arguing that he has stronger arms overall.

And I never said Magnus had the strongest grip in the world. I said he probably has stronger grip than Voevoda does.

If Voevoda's arms are stronger than Voevoda's, like you say, and Voevoda also has great leg strength and he can also bench 595 lbs. for a bench max (according to wikipedia) then yes, he should be able to compete in WSM. His arms can't be as strong as Magnus's like you say they are, his legs and chest are probably weaker, too. Voevoda can bench 595 once, Magus benched 585 twice, so his bench max is probably about 625 according to bench max calculators.

I agree, but overall don't you think Magnus's arms are stronger? Certainly his upper arms. btw what exercises do you think Voevoda or John could beat him in?

1. Agreed.

2. There was a photoshopped pic of Voevoda curling like 300 lbs in 1 hand. It was photoshopped, though, so don't let it fool you. Besides that pic, where i the proof that Voevoda is strong enough to curl 400 lbs. in 2 hands like Magnus did? I think like 425 lbs. or around there is the world record for a 2 handed bicep curl but I can't remember the exact number.

3. ok

4. No, I posted a picture of text from an Ironmind Magazine saying that Magnus has the world's strongest arms (not Voevoda).

Again, Magnus fans defend him in his armwstrength in over all strength. Yes it's true he has strongest arm in over all aspect: pulling or pushing. BUT.........please this is armwrestling!!!!!!!!!!! it's about who is better at it! It's not about who do better arm excersie. It is about who's better in "Arm freaking wrestling"

2. There was a photoshopped pic of Voevoda curling like 300 lbs in 1 hand. It was photoshopped, though, so don't let it fool you. Besides that pic, where i the proof that Voevoda is strong enough to curl 400 lbs. in 2 hands like Magnus did? I think like 425 lbs. or around there is the world record for a 2 handed bicep curl but I can't remember the exact number.

3. ok

4. No, I posted a picture of text from an Ironmind Magazine saying that Magnus has the world's strongest arms (not Voevoda).

I personally don't think Magnus is anywhere close to having the strongest arms in the world. In fact, I have not even seen direct video evidence of him fully closing the #4 (the below looked very close):

Worlds Strongest Arms

Why is the above video like those UFO and Bigfoot videos - when it gets real interesting, the important features get blurred or blocked out? It looks like he picks up ~315 pretty easily, the camera angle changes, and you cannot tell whether it is ~315 or ~225. Not only that, but also those look like bumper plates.

Here's Michael Todd, who appears to be curling and pressing 225 with one arm:

According to Steve Phipps (on the NE board), he spoke to Todd and confirmed that was about 140-pounds.

I personally don't think Magnus is anywhere close to having the strongest arms in the world. In fact, I have not even seen direct video evidence of him fully closing the #4 (the below looked very close):

Worlds Strongest Arms

Why is the above video like those UFO and Bigfoot videos - when it gets real interesting, the important features get blurred or blocked out? It looks like he picks up ~315 pretty easily, the camera angle changes, and you cannot tell whether it is ~315 or ~225. Not only that, but also those look like bumper plates.

Here's Michael Todd, who appears to be curling and pressing 225 with one arm:

According to Steve Phipps (on the NE board), he spoke to Todd and confirmed that was about 140-pounds.

1. Well he is on the list so that means he closed it under the watchful eye of Ironmind Officials. You can't not close it and get certified under authentic conditions. Also check out this video, he closes the #3 four times without using his pinkie:

2. I personally think that there are probably a few people who have stronger arms than Magnus, but I'm not positive. However, he is thought my many to have the strongest arms, and I posted a picture out of IronMind magazine on the last page where it stated that he is thought to have the world's strongest arms. I don't think he would be thought to have the strongest arms in the world unless he wasn't close at least.

3. Michael Todd is strong as hell, I'm not sure if his arm was at a 90 degree angle or not, though, but still.

4. Oh so it was only 140 lbs. not 225? Lol only 145, that's a lot though. In the video with Magnus Samuelsson that you posted, when Magnus is curling with dumbbells do you know how much those weigh? 45 kg?

Again, Magnus fans defend him in his armwstrength in over all strength. Yes it's true he has strongest arm in over all aspect: pulling or pushing. BUT.........please this is armwrestling!!!!!!!!!!! it's about who is better at it! It's not about who do better arm excersie. It is about who's better in "Arm freaking wrestling"

Actually, somebody said Magnus was planning on returning to arm wrestling in a few more years, and I said that I thought he'd be unstoppable if he got back into arm wrestling because "He can close a C.O.C. #4 and is said to have the world's strongest arms, and weighs a lot". And then someone else said he doesn't have the world's strongest arms, not by a long shot. Then somebody said Alexey Voevoda's arms were stronger than Magnus's, so yes, now I am debating in his favor.

Edited by Josh H