Brzenk Vs. Samuellson

Aftershock

but did you see Magnus rep a #4 fresh out of the packet?

I doubt Brzenk can close a #3 and you can close Elite. So can you say you can beat Brzenk? Not a chance. He is one of the best (if not the best) in the world. Grippers doesn't count much in AW.

I think people underestimate just how strong top pullers are. You could teach 99.999999999999999% of the population flawless technique and table skills and the sad but true fact is they are not even close sterngth wise. I think it is easier for people to say "he knows a trick"or"armwrestling is ALL technique",this cracks me up.When there is a "trick" or "technique" it damages the EGO a whole lot less than "he is just plain old stronger than me".Watch the top pullers pull everyone else with the exception of a few of thier equals,they simply grip ond pin,no real fancy technique,just containment through the hand and wrist and a superior arm to finish the job.

I stand firm that armwrestling is a STRENGTH sport,yes there is technique.......but there is technique in strongman,powerlifting,wrestling........and just about every other sport on the planet.........hell there is even technique in sprinting. I like this,next time someone beats me in a race,powerlifting,fight etc... I just have to say "They have more technique,instead of they were faster,stronger,tougher......

If you were to have 2 pupils,1 a human sponge who can easily pick up on moves and is very comprehensive of technique yet not very gifted in the strength department.....the brain of Brzenk in days,and 2 a genetic freak a guy who has unheard of strength but isn't that mechanically sound......I bet if they meet on day 1 the freak wins,after 6 mnths...the freak wins.....2 yrs.....you got it,freako again ....and so on......you can only compensate a strength difference so far.

I have seen armwrestlers who have never been trained or even competed come out of nowhere and blast seasoned vets that were very mechanically sound......why??

People have no idea just how big the margin really is.

True words. I agree 100%. I don't like it either to hear people talk, when I won against a bigger stronger looking guy in armwrestling "the skinny one (me) has a better technique... I may have a better technique, OK, but that's not the reason I won. The reason is that I had more strength armwrestling wise: more static arm and back strength, stronger wrist, etc...

Florian, didn't you close a 3.65 at the Euro grip gomp? Don't you think you could cert on the MM3?

I closed the SE 3.65 at the euros in 2004 and 2006, but from what I heard, the MM3 is very tough and probably harder than the 3.65.

Florian, didn't you close a 3.65 at the Euro grip gomp? Don't you think you could cert on the MM3?

I closed the SE 3.65 at the euros in 2004 and 2006, but from what I heard, the MM3 is very tough and probably harder than the 3.65.

The 3.65 is NOT an IM rating right?

The 3.65 is NOT an IM rating right?

Josh, doesn't it sound like IM rating to you? I mean, in IM rating, how low could an SE be? Aren't SE's supossed to be way harder than Elite's, close to #4's ? So maybe it's a rather easy SE at 3.65. At that comp they had a bigger gripper, I believe it was a 3.81, another SE. So it sounds like they were using IM ratings for them.

I could be totally wrong though. :)

The Euro gripper calibration ratings have nothing to do with the 3.whatever ratings many throw around here. Do a Search of Mikael Siversson's posts to read about his gripper calibration method.

This is a very interesting thread. I met John Breznk a few weeks ago at the Olympia. He easily lifted 187 on the rolling thunder, and did around 5 reps with a new IM #2 gripper. He wasn't close with the 50lb blob. He probably has the most impressive forearm I have ever seen in person. Not the biggest but it goes from "normal" looking to completely freakish when he flexes it. I've never seen anyones forearm explode in size like then when flexed. Since I have met and talked to Magnus a few times and competed against him a couple times I need to stick up for him a bit here because I don't think he is getting a fair shake. Magnus is incredibly strong in the upper body, especially his arms. You don't do what he has done in strongman without this. I would lay my money on Breznk if they ever hooked up just because he is the best arm wrestler ever and knows every angle to beat an opponent - plus has the strength. I don't think Magnus would be the push-over that some of you do and I don't think Breznk would easily hook him. Rob V said it - there are some guys that can come out of nowhere and take down seasoned vets in Arm Wrestling. Magnus is one of those types of guys. When you are talking about professional strongman competitors you have to realize this is a different breed of athletes than typical bodybuilder types or ballooned up powerlifter types. Strongman competitors at the top level are really strong - especially in the grip, biceps, triceps, shoulders, and upper back - all the things necessary for a good armwrestler.

I know nothing about AW but I love the darn thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I would guess that while top armwrestlers have a VERY strong grip/forearm/wrist, maybe their thumb does not need to be that strong, hence Brzenk (best ever maybe) not being able to lift the blob50.

Once again, I have never AW'ed and I'm not 1/50th of the strong as these people, but does AW require a lot of thumb strength?

I remember reading once in a Brzenk interview, about his training, and he said that after training he just does grippers in the car, on his way home ... I don't know what gripper that was, but probably not a very hard one. I don't think he trains grippers seriously if he can't close a #3, because he is obviously way above average in hand/wrist/forearm strength, and if some people say here that ANY man could close a #3 with some training, I would say that he could close it within just weeks of training.

It's just that, AW'ers need a strong grip, but they grip a HAND, and usually a big one as most AW'ers have, I don't think they close their hand so much as to simulate the length of a closed gripper, which is probably like 1.5 inch when closed, at the bottom? ... I like to hang around in AW forums and from what I've seen, with the wrist curl numbers some of these guys put up, and other excercises, I have absolutely no doubt any of them would mash the #3 within weeks, even if they have never touched a #2 or #3. (I'm talking about a top puller here, not just some novice).

Then again, maybe I state too much crap for someone who knows nothing about this :P

This is a very interesting thread. I met John Breznk a few weeks ago at the Olympia. He easily lifted 187 on the rolling thunder, and did around 5 reps with a new IM #2 gripper. He wasn't close with the 50lb blob. He probably has the most impressive forearm I have ever seen in person. Not the biggest but it goes from "normal" looking to completely freakish when he flexes it. I've never seen anyones forearm explode in size like then when flexed. Since I have met and talked to Magnus a few times and competed against him a couple times I need to stick up for him a bit here because I don't think he is getting a fair shake. Magnus is incredibly strong in the upper body, especially his arms. You don't do what he has done in strongman without this. I would lay my money on Breznk if they ever hooked up just because he is the best arm wrestler ever and knows every angle to beat an opponent - plus has the strength. I don't think Magnus would be the push-over that some of you do and I don't think Breznk would easily hook him. Rob V said it - there are some guys that can come out of nowhere and take down seasoned vets in Arm Wrestling. Magnus is one of those types of guys. When you are talking about professional strongman competitors you have to realize this is a different breed of athletes than typical bodybuilder types or ballooned up powerlifter types. Strongman competitors at the top level are really strong - especially in the grip, biceps, triceps, shoulders, and upper back - all the things necessary for a good armwrestler.

good points Wade,but strongman competitors are still missing that sideways, straight across the table power that only years of AW can build.Of all the directions to hit an opponent,side pressure is the hardest to build,this is why there are powerlifters who have freakish strong arms,back,shoulders....etc.. get whacked by a dedicated AW who will not attack those big arms or back,but will go straight across where they have built up so much power and the other guy has never been able to simulate that move.......side pressure is the killer.

Like I said,If you ever meet a top seeded AW at any weight give em' a yank.......you will see what I mean.....It is dumbfounding how much power the tops in any weight have..

good points Wade,but strongman competitors are still missing that sideways, straight across the table power that only years of AW can build.Of all the directions to hit an opponent,side pressure is the hardest to build,this is why there are powerlifters who have freakish strong arms,back,shoulders....etc.. get whacked by a dedicated AW who will not attack those big arms or back,but will go straight across where they have built up so much power and the other guy has never been able to simulate that move.......side pressure is the killer.

Like I said,If you ever meet a top seeded AW at any weight give em' a yank.......you will see what I mean.....It is dumbfounding how much power the tops in any weight have..

I agree 100% Rob but with Magnus's background in armwrestling and the strongman background of carrying stones, odd objects, conan's wheel, etc., that develop tremendous static arm strength and inward crushing strength (stones especially), I still say he would not be a slouch. BTW, you never stopped back at the GNC booth after you were done pulling at the Arnold. If you get there in 2007 make sure you stop by.

Wade

yeah I know I was supposed to stop by,I was a little rattled from the tourney and wasn't feeling too social.I am looking forward to the arnold's this year and will be at your booth for sure.

see ya in a few........take care,

Rob jr.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, from what i have seen in this thread, the majority of the people believe that it is Brzenk who would win and timmy has to be the sole supporter of Magnus. I would have to go with Brzenk beating Magnus because from what i have seen at the AW tournament i went to in Arlington, TX (which i competed in), Brzenk just completely manhandled everyones arms and brought them straight to the pad with ease. Also, he hardly usedany technique at all. So I have to that John would win.

If Magnus would train more statics and so on....and train side pressure he would be very good no doubt......

What are the physical stats for both?

HEIGHT

WEIGHT

ETC...

Bigger numbers doesn't really mean better/stronger. This is like saying "hey Wes how old are you?" Wes says" I am 17" I reply"ha, I am 19 so I am better than you at grippers"

6'6 and 350+- maybe even 350+ now!!!!

How big is Brzenk?

He is now 115kg which is 253lb and 180cm

He is NOT 115kg. It was listed as 115kg on some armwrestling page but he is most certainly NOT that heavy, no way. He weighed in at 234lbs (20 less than what you say) in late September at Mohegan World's, were he toyed with everyone. And that's pretty much the heaviest he's been in years. Remember he used to compete in 198lbs class not too long ago, hell, in 2005 or so he was a 198 when he pulled Voevoda and lost. I'd like to see them pulling now :rolleyes