Brzenk Vs. Samuellson

Aftershock

Let this thread die.....

It's a different kind of strength as far as comparing armwrestling with strongman competitions.

Mariuz isn't good at armwrestling either.

my argument isn't that he can beat Brzenk or Voevoda, my argument is that the other guy said Voevoda's arms and such are stronger than Magnus'. if they are that strong then he should be able to compete in WSM right?

Who knows if his arms are stronger or not. What makes Magnus arms so strong? He closed a #4? He cheat curls 300 pounds? Can he do one arm pull ups? Whats his pronation strength? How strong is his hammer curl? How strong are his wrists? Does he have any side pressure?

A lot of things are being assumed about magnus with his " worlds strongest arms" label.....

2. There was a photoshopped pic of Voevoda curling like 300 lbs in 1 hand. It was photoshopped, though, so don't let it fool you. Besides that pic, where i the proof that Voevoda is strong enough to curl 400 lbs. in 2 hands like Magnus did? I think like 425 lbs. or around there is the world record for a 2 handed bicep curl but I can't remember the exact number.

Mike Todd curled 140 on a 7 foot bar, with one hand, and it didn't look too hard for him. Voevoda dominated Todd when they pulled and this was a beefed up Todd, much bigger than the one in the curling video. There is also a vid where Voevoda does a 1 arm pull up, although it is a bit sloppy, but he weighs probably weighs 260-270 in the video. 400 with two hands, especially if he swung the weight like Magnus, would not be an issue for him.

I personally don't think Magnus is anywhere close to having the strongest arms in the world. In fact, I have not even seen direct video evidence of him fully closing the #4 (the below looked very close):

Worlds Strongest Arms

Why is the above video like those UFO and Bigfoot videos - when it gets real interesting, the important features get blurred or blocked out? It looks like he picks up ~315 pretty easily, the camera angle changes, and you cannot tell whether it is ~315 or ~225. Not only that, but also those look like bumper plates.

Here's Michael Todd, who appears to be curling and pressing 225 with one arm:

According to Steve Phipps (on the NE board), he spoke to Todd and confirmed that was about 140-pounds.

1. Well he is on the list so that means he closed it under the watchful eye of Ironmind Officials. You can't not close it and get certified under authentic conditions.

2. I personally think that there are probably a few people who have stronger arms than Magnus, but I'm not positive. However, he is thought my many to have the strongest arms, and I posted a picture out of IronMind magazine on the last page where it stated that he is thought to have the world's strongest arms. I don't think he would be thought to have the strongest arms in the world unless he wasn't close at least.

3. Michael Todd is strong as hell, I'm not sure if his arm was at a 90 degree angle or not, though, but still.

4. Oh so it was only 140 lbs. not 225? Lol only 145, that's a lot though. In the video with Magnus Samuelsson that you posted, when Magnus is curling with dumbbells do you know how much those weigh?

1. Magnus must have gotten a different set of official conditions, which really wouldn't surpise me given the rule changing nature of IM because he set it shut against his thigh and that assumes it's shut because you can't see anything from the camera shots.

4. Looks like Magnus started with 80 or 85lbs dbs to me. I paused it and tried to count the plates.

Edited by jad

Who knows if his arms are stronger or not. What makes Magnus arms so strong? He closed a #4? He cheat curls 300 pounds? Can he do one arm pull ups? Whats his pronation strength? How strong is his hammer curl? How strong are his wrists? Does he have any side pressure?

A lot of things are being assumed about magnus with his " worlds strongest arms" label.....

What do you mean by "cheat curled"? And is was 315 lbs, and he curled it 4 times. I also posted a link to a pic of him holding up 400 lbs.

idk about hammer curl but it's probably a lot, and he has the rolling thunder world record. He can close a COC #4 so his wrist strength has to be incredible (comparing him to regular weight lifters / strength people here when I say incredible). He was Europe's best arm wrestler many years ago so he must have some good side pressure. idk if he can do a one armed pull-up, but he weighs 343 lbs... one armed pull-ups have to do with weight as well as strength. Somebody who weighs 160 lbs. might be able to do more one-armed pull-ups than a stronger person who weighs 220 lbs. can do.

Mike Todd curled 140 on a 7 foot bar, with one hand, and it didn't look too hard for him. Voevoda dominated Todd when they pulled and this was a beefed up Todd, much bigger than the one in the curling video. There is also a vid where Voevoda does a 1 arm pull up, although it is a bit sloppy, but he weighs probably weighs 260-270 in the video. 400 with two hands, especially if he swung the weight like Magnus, would not be an issue for him.

1. Magnus must have gotten a different set of official conditions, which really wouldn't surpise me given the rule changing nature of IM because he set it shut against his thigh and that assumes it's shut because you can't see anything from the camera shots.

4. Looks like Magnus started with 80 or 85lbs dbs to me. I paused it and tried to count the plates.

It didn't look to hard? When he screamed he sounded fairly strained. Voevoda is strong but if he were that strong he would be going for world records. And he beat Todd with technique, speed, endurance ect. as well as strength. Do you have a link to the one armed pull-up of Voevoda's? And just because you can do a one armed pull-up at 260-270 doesn't mean you can curl 400 lbs. I know a guy who can do a 1 armed pull-u, he weighs 145. Does that mean he can curl 200-220 lbs with 2 hands? No. He can't. I would be surprised if he could curl 120 with 2 hands.

1. The closes in that video weren't the ones he did for his certification. In that video he is merely in the gym and at the end he closes the #4 for his fans to see. And look again, he doesn't close it on his thigh in that video, his arm is clearly not touching his thigh.

4. It looks like the same size as the 45 kg one he uses in the isometric hold to me. Maybe they were 40 kg cause the 45 kg one for the isometirc hold also has an additional small plate, probably 5 kg, on the end.

What do you mean by "cheat curled"? And is was 315 lbs, and he curled it 4 times. I also posted a link to a pic of him holding up 400 lbs.

idk about hammer curl but it's probably a lot, and he has the rolling thunder world record. He can close a COC #4 so his wrist strength has to be incredible (comparing him to regular weight lifters / strength people here when I say incredible). He was Europe's best arm wrestler many years ago so he must have some good side pressure. idk if he can do a one armed pull-up, but he weighs 343 lbs... one armed pull-ups have to do with weight as well as strength. Somebody who weighs 160 lbs. might be able to do more one-armed pull-ups than a stronger person who weighs 220 lbs. can do.

It didn't look to hard? When he screamed he sounded fairly strained. Voevoda is strong but if he were that strong he would be going for world records. And he beat Todd with technique, speed, endurance ect. as well as strength. Do you have a link to the one armed pull-up of Voevoda's? And just because you can do a one armed pull-up at 260-270 doesn't mean you can curl 400 lbs. I know a guy who can do a 1 armed pull-u, he weighs 145. Does that mean he can curl 200-220 lbs with 2 hands? No. He can't. I would be surprised if he could curl 120 with 2 hands.

1. The closes in that video weren't the ones he did for his certification. In that video he is merely in the gym and at the end he closes the #4 for his fans to see. And look again, he doesn't close it on his thigh in that video, his arm is clearly not touching his thigh.

4. It looks like the same size as the 45 kg one he uses in the isometric hold to me. Maybe they were 40 kg cause the 45 kg one for the isometirc hold also has an additional small plate, probably 5 kg, on the end.

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!! :rock:rock:rock

like i said, i don't mean that Magnus would beat Voevoda in an arm wrestling match. i mean to think Voevoda can out curl him and do other stuff strength related that is strictly based on strength i think cannot be true. if Voevoda was that strong like i said i think he could WSM competitor.

I think the scream was more for effect as the weight went up pretty quick. The one arm pullup by Voevoda is in the highlight reel on youtube. There is another thread in this forum with the link to this video. Voevoda was letting Todd hit on at least one of the matches; I'd say that's strength, not endurance, speed or technique.

As for the curls, let's be clear, Magnus is cheat curling it. Nothing wrong with that as cheat curls have their purpose but if you're friend can do a real 1 arm pullup then with a little coaching on using the form Magnus did, your friend could definitely cheat curl 200. I stress "using the form Magnus did" because in some circles those aren't even cheat curls but more like cleans, notice how high his elbows are at the end and how much pop he gets out of his legs.

The 45kg hold is a joke to elite AW's and wouldn't even be a warmup to Voevoda. There's video of Rustam B doing 90 degree concentration curls with one and he gets like 10 or 11 reps and he weighs a little more than half of Magnus

I think the scream was more for effect as the weight went up pretty quick. The one arm pullup by Voevoda is in the highlight reel on youtube. There is another thread in this forum with the link to this video. Voevoda was letting Todd hit on at least one of the matches; I'd say that's strength, not endurance, speed or technique.

As for the curls, let's be clear, Magnus is cheat curling it. Nothing wrong with that as cheat curls have their purpose but if you're friend can do a real 1 arm pullup then with a little coaching on using the form Magnus did, your friend could definitely cheat curl 200. I stress "using the form Magnus did" because in some circles those aren't even cheat curls but more like cleans, notice how high his elbows are at the end and how much pop he gets out of his legs.

The 45kg hold is a joke to elite AW's and wouldn't even be a warmup to Voevoda. There's video of Rustam B doing 90 degree concentration curls with one and he gets like 10 or 11 reps and he weighs a little more than half of Magnus

1. Either way when he screamed he sounded like he was strained, not like it was easy, and some people do scream like that when lifting heavy weights because it helps them. And it doesn't look like he brought his arm up to a 90 degree angle when "curling" it.

2. Yeah I saw that video shortly after I asked that. That's pretty impressive though it didn't seem easy for him (if it were easy he would have done more than 1) but still it's impressive. But Magnus has like 70-80 lbs. on Voevoda there.

3. He could have been using a lot of back pressure to stop Todd from moving him, or he could have been using technique to fight against Todd's. Yes, it probably did have a lot to do with strength, though.

4. Sorry, I don't know what cheat curling is.

5. I never said Voevoda couldn't do it, I said I tough the dumbbell used for the Isometric Hold and for the curling looked the same. Is there a video of This Rustam B doing it for 10-11 reps?

I agree with the guy who said we should kill this thread - what's the point of keeping it going?

One would think that if we were to start a thread on how a first rate strongman (with very limited arm wrestling credentials) could beat the greatest arm wrestler who ever lived, the least we could do is spell his name correctly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Samuelsson

1. Well he is on the list so that means he closed it under the watchful eye of Ironmind Officials. You can't not close it and get certified under authentic conditions. Also check out this video, he closes the #3 four times without using his pinkie:

2. I personally think that there are probably a few people who have stronger arms than Magnus, but I'm not positive.

The 45-kg standing dumbbell curls Magnus does in his videos are nothing out-of-the-ordinary - I was doing the same thing when I was merely 20 years old. There's no doubt that many, many top bodybuilders can do the exact same thing.

As far as that purported video of Magnus repping the #3, that does not prove anything. If any of us filmed a video like that and sent it to IronMind, how long do you think it would be before we were "certified"? ;)

As far as being certified in the #4, Magnus Samuelsson is a HUGE name to attach yourself to if you want to sell grippers. I haven't seen the video of Magnus closing it under authenticated conditions, has anyone else?

to some it up

arm wrestlers have the strongest ARMS in the world. thats what i believe, i see the true test of who has the worlds strongest arms is....yes an ARM wrestle :D

The 45-kg standing dumbbell curls Magnus does in his videos are nothing out-of-the-ordinary - I was doing the same thing when I was merely 20 years old. There's no doubt that many, many top bodybuilders can do the exact same thing.

As far as that purported video of Magnus repping the #3, that does not prove anything. If any of us filmed a video like that and sent it to IronMind, how long do you think it would be before we were "certified"? ;)

As far as being certified in the #4, Magnus Samuelsson is a HUGE name to attach yourself to if you want to sell grippers. I haven't seen the video of Magnus closing it under authenticated conditions, has anyone else?

1. You could curl 100 lbs. dumbbells 4 times in a row at the age of 20? Yes some top bodybuilders could do it I am sure, but at the age of 20? I doubt it. My arms are my main focus, and I'm 18, in the last year my one armed bicep curl went from like 50 lbs to 60-65 lbs. Oh yeah, and that's for a one rep max, not 4 reps.

2. Again, that is NOT his certification video. And closing the #3 4 times means you have very strong hands - closing it 4 times without using your pinkie is incredible. I'm not saying other people couldn't do it, and I'm not saying that he has the strongest hands in the world, I am just saying his hands are likely stronger than Voevoda's. If not, what has Voevoda done for grip that is so impressive besides AW?

3. Considering he closed the #3 4 times without using his pinkie and has a video of him closing the #4 twice, I see no reason to assume that he didn't actually close it. Yes it is hard to see if he closed it all the way in that one video but if he is that close, and Ironmidn says he did it there is no reason to assume that he didn't without further proof.

1. You could curl 100 lbs. dumbbells 4 times in a row at the age of 20? Yes some top bodybuilders could do it I am sure, but at the age of 20? I doubt it. My arms are my main focus, and I'm 18, in the last year my one armed bicep curl went from like 50 lbs to 60-65 lbs. Oh yeah, and that's for a one rep max, not 4 reps.

2. Again, that is NOT his certification video. And closing the #3 4 times means you have very strong hands - closing it 4 times without using your pinkie is incredible. I'm not saying other people couldn't do it, and I'm not saying that he has the strongest hands in the world, I am just saying his hands are likely stronger than Voevoda's. If not, what has Voevoda done for grip that is so impressive besides AW?

3. Considering he closed the #3 4 times without using his pinkie and has a video of him closing the #4 twice, I see no reason to assume that he didn't actually close it. Yes it is hard to see if he closed it all the way in that one video but if he is that close, and Ironmidn says he did it there is no reason to assume that he didn't without further proof.

i agree again and let's not forget that when he certed on the 4 it wasn't CCS so there is no doubt in anybody's mind that he closed it :D

To jump topic sorta, who would do what first in theory?

Magnus win WSM title or voevoda win best heavyweight title if he came back to AW?

My $$$$ on the russian!

1. Either way when he screamed he sounded like he was strained, not like it was easy, and some people do scream like that when lifting heavy weights because it helps them. And it doesn't look like he brought his arm up to a 90 degree angle when "curling" it.

2. Yeah I saw that video shortly after I asked that. That's pretty impressive though it didn't seem easy for him (if it were easy he would have done more than 1) but still it's impressive. But Magnus has like 70-80 lbs. on Voevoda there.

3. He could have been using a lot of back pressure to stop Todd from moving him, or he could have been using technique to fight against Todd's. Yes, it probably did have a lot to do with strength, though.

4. Sorry, I don't know what cheat curling is.

5. I never said Voevoda couldn't do it, I said I tough the dumbbell used for the Isometric Hold and for the curling looked the same. Is there a video of This Rustam B doing it for 10-11 reps?

Yes there is video of it. Also if the iso hold magnus did was his best effort thats embarrassing. Theres 150 lbs pullers that do that easy.

How much exactly do you know about armwrestling?

What's funny about this thread, is that Garret (experienced armwrestler even though not competing since 2006 or so) and Bob Brown (world champion, also many many years of experience) are clearly stating that these World's Strongest Men would not touch elite armwrestlers, yet the fans continue to post pics and state facts like they're gonna convince them otherwise :tongue

Sooo... Magnus has closed a #4, lifted huge RT numbers, and benched 600+ ... in AW, that doesn't mean he'll be the best. Like I said, he lost to Bill Brzenk, who was probably not even a 200 pound guy, and not even CLOSE to Magnus in those 3 lifts (grippers, RT and bench).

I guess if the thread continues it'll also be stated that Magnus squats and deadlifts a ton of weight, much more than most AW'ers. I guess then everyone will be convinced he truly could beat John and everyone else. :laugh

• Like 1

Yes there is video of it. Also if the iso hold magnus did was his best effort thats embarrassing. Theres 150 lbs pullers that do that easy.

How much exactly do you know about armwrestling?

Can you post a link to the video, then? And, I know a lot about arm wrestling, again, for thr redord, John Brzenk WOULD beat Magnus Samuelsson at arm wrestling, Alexey Voevoda would beat him, a lot of pullers would beat him. this entire thing started because I said, with magnus being stronger than those arm wrestlers and heavier, if he came back I said I thought he could become #1. If he came back. I am not arguing that he is a better arm wrestler than they are now, jsut that he is stronger, which is true.

What's funny about this thread, is that Garret (experienced armwrestler even though not competing since 2006 or so) and Bob Brown (world champion, also many many years of experience) are clearly stating that these World's Strongest Men would not touch elite armwrestlers, yet the fans continue to post pics and state facts like they're gonna convince them otherwise :tongue

Sooo... Magnus has closed a #4, lifted huge RT numbers, and benched 600+ ... in AW, that doesn't mean he'll be the best. Like I said, he lost to Bill Brzenk, who was probably not even a 200 pound guy, and not even CLOSE to Magnus in those 3 lifts (grippers, RT and bench).

I guess if the thread continues it'll also be stated that Magnus squats and deadlifts a ton of weight, much more than most AW'ers. I guess then everyone will be convinced he truly could beat John and everyone else. :laugh

Nobody recently has been arguing that Magnus would win the arm wrestle. Myself and others (right now mostly myself) are merely stating that Magnus is stronger than any arm wrestler and could therefore do well if he came back to AW. If, and only if he came back.

Edited by Josh H

I agree with the guy who said we should kill this thread - what's the point of keeping it going?

One would think that if we were to start a thread on how a first rate strongman (with very limited arm wrestling credentials) could beat the greatest arm wrestler who ever lived, the least we could do is spell his name correctly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Samuelsson

1. Well he is on the list so that means he closed it under the watchful eye of Ironmind Officials. You can't not close it and get certified under authentic conditions. Also check out this video, he closes the #3 four times without using his pinkie:

2. I personally think that there are probably a few people who have stronger arms than Magnus, but I'm not positive.

You seem to be forgetting that previous to that, he was doing barbell curls w/ 308lb x 4 reps, so his bi's were already completely fatigued...I don't think you could curl 308 x 4 when you were 20 ;)

You seem to be forgetting that previous to that, he was doing barbell curls w/ 308lb x 4 reps, so his bi's were already completely fatigued...I don't think you could curl 308 x 4 when you were 20 ;)

Wow! Curling 308x4 is a lot :blink Does anyone know what the world record for bicep curl is?

Wow! Curling 308x4 is a lot :blink Does anyone know what the world record for bicep curl is?

I have a poster that lists all of Kaz's world records and strength feats. One line says "World record - Barbell Curl 400lbs. 315x15repetitions - 1985" Mind blowing numbers.

Edited by Chris Mathison

I think it's Manfred Hoeberls 440 x 2 barbell curl...at least that's the baddest one I've ever heard of...There are only a few to break the 300lb mark.

I think it's Manfred Hoeberls 440 x 2 barbell curl...at least that's the baddest one I've ever heard of...There are only a few to break the 300lb mark.

But is there any proof of those curls?

But is there any proof of those curls?

No, there's not, but then again, no less evidence of anybody else's claims(i.e, Kaz's 300 x 15). The evidence I can come up with for it is that he went around Europe giving curling demos in front of live audiences, which is, I believe, when he did it, so there were eye-witnesses. Then, there's the claims all over the internet, and right on his own website, etc, etc. But, I think the best proof for it is the sheer size of the cannons! Also, if you watch any strongman events of his, he was a complete beast, so I think it may be credible...

I read it once on another forum... there they said it was 400 something, can't remember what exactly it was or who did it. :\

I read it once on another forum... there they said it was 400 something, can't remember what exactly it was or who did it. :\

Like I said b4, I think it's Manfred's 440lb x 2. There's also that pic of Magnus curling 415lb or sth.

Like I said b4, I think it's Manfred's 440lb x 2. There's also that pic of Magnus curling 415lb or sth.

WOW!