British Iron Grip 2007

mobsterone

Sorry to hear this, David! I wish you a quick recovery! I know you will be back stronger than ever :rock

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Hubgeezer

• David Horne

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Yes Gazza injuries do suck, and as we know I've had my fair share. Adding the back pain to my already bad shoulder was just too much - I honestly just couldn't believe it. But that's life, and I have to remember that my 'going through the training with painkillers' was the reason I blew my shoulder in 2005 and which required this surgery.

Anyway, as Elizabeth said if I don't rest now, then there is no chance of the GGC. So as painful a decision that it was I suppose it had to be made. I don't feel good about letting Chris, Steve and all the other guys have all the fun.

All for now,

David

Take care of yourself - there will come another day for you. We want you healthy at the GGC of course but just healthy period is best. I understand the age thing and injuries all too well I'm afraid. The heavy one hand lifts do take a toll over time, especially added onto an already tweaked back from pressing. Heal quickly!

I feel very sorry for You David! I hope You heal up fast to get back strong! :rock

David,

You yourself stated that that the British was only going to be a "tester" comp for the GGC, so your decision will hopefully pay dividends in the long run.

Since you have mentioned that you are now starting to feel that age is taking it's toll on you, I was wondering what measures you have taken to counteract this - ie. lessening training intensity, increased rest etc? My feeling from what I read is that your intensity, which is what you are well known for, has been working against you for some time.

Good question Chris.

I do up and down the intensity when I need it, but I suppose I'm more known for my workload which I feel works very well for me. I love to do reps and train grip like a bodybuilder. This seems to keep everything oiled. When I have a run up to a contest I will ideally start lowering the reps/holds, and eventually with about 5-6 weeks to go be lifting heavy singles/low reps.

The 2 major injuries I have had that required surgery were both done in this later part when the weights were heavy, and MORE importantly I didn't listen to my body but took more painkillers to get through the training. This is my problem, is that I am very competitive, and have a near do-or-die attitude! Sometimes you can get away with it, and others (those 2 occasions) I didn't.

The first occasion was at the British All-Round Champs on my birthday in 1993. This was on the last event of the day the Hand and Thigh, which is a short-range deadlift. I was going for 600k on my 2nd attempt and was pushing through my feet when I heard an almighty crack (like a bat being broken) and I fell to my right. At first I wasn’t sure if it was the chain apparatus that had snapped or something, but upon standing, I realised that my leg was swelling quickly and now turning inwards. I have this lift on video and it’s a right ‘video nasty’! I was taken to hospital straight away where I was diagnosed with a hamstring rupture, Rectus Femoris and Vastus Medialis tears and damage to my kneecap and cartilage. Surgery, and rehab followed, but it really took a year to be fine again. Not a great birthday present! I had been having problems with my hamstring for 3 weeks prior.

The second occasion was about a month before the Champion of Champions where I was training with Nick and just couldn't get enough painkillers into myself to actualy finish the workout. :blink Well I didn't finish it till I tore my Rotator, and well one and a half years on I'm still feeling the pain everyday, even with the surgery in December.

Anyway, a bit long winded. But the best tip I can give is to listen to your body, and don't do singles all year round.

Cheers,

Chris

Hope you will heal up, because that competitive drive of yours is inspiring to us all!

Thanks for the response David, an interesting read. I can empathize with the injuries (torn both rotators, partial bicep tears, severe finger tendon damage etc etc) - but not with the age thing just yet! :laugh

I am going to pull out of the Brits. This is because I have done my back in again. I did it whilst pressing on Tuesday, and then foolishly had a go at the One Hand Lift today resulting in me now back on the painkillers, and lying on my back. I have to realise now if I have any chance of going to the U.S. then I have to take care of myself, and Elizabeth has banned me from taking part. Since I did my shoulder in 2005, it has been one thing after another, and I kinda realise that the age factor now is really playing a part. I really love competing, but am also a bit sick of constantly taking painkillers.

I'm really pissed off to have to make this decision, sorry to let anyone down.

David

Just read it. Heal up David.

That'll look nice in my living room! ha ha ;):):tongue:mosher

Good - it's the 2nd place open class one he he I've got my eye on the other. There are three more (1st and 2nd open and 1st and 2nd novice) identical trophies. As per the site they are all 15" tall and a nice weight. Cost £31.00 in bloody duty grrrr

Nice! Lets hope they stay in Gloucester ;) Come on Whey lads! :rock

I have a feeling 1 of them will end up in Devon. Question is which one! :tongue;)

Dunkster brought over the frame we will be using for the TTWC. It fits snugly inside our power rack and certainly seems solid enough to take the potential 300-kilos some might use. I may take some photos and put them up (maybe with me using some serious weight... maybe not ha ha).

Nice Trophy, Mob!

Indeed cool trophys.

What time are you thinking of kicking off on the 19th? My train (earliest one possible) gets into Gloucester for 9:30am will that be ok?