British Iron Grip 2007

mobsterone

Might be my cue to retire after winning this year.... ;)
There's the excuse you've been looking for, old man! :upsidedwn

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Hubgeezer

• David Horne

I'm feeling old this week. It has come to (as it should) a peak of strength and work. These last few back to back sessions are also very tiring but as before are overload and the 4 days rest will mean the body over compensates. Come Saturday I'll be hungry to lift. :mosher

I'm thinking the same Steve. My training stops monday i think... just hope the body doesn't need 5-6 days overcompensation... :tongue

I could start a new thread, but I think I will just bury it in here...

After finding out the distance from the train station to Steve's, and his describtion of the area, if I want my wife to attend (she can take pictures and I would like that), I think it would be best if someone would be able to pick me up at the train station.

I would give her 60/40 odds of going if we had a ride.

I don't know the schedules yet, but if someone were to give me a time to be there, we would be there.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Corlett

I could start a new thread, but I think I will just bury it in here...

After finding out the distance from the train station to Steve's, and his describtion of the area, if I want my wife to attend (she can take pictures and I would like that), I think it would be best if someone would be able to pick me up at the train station.

I would give her 60/40 odds of going if we had a ride.

I don't know the schedules yet, but if someone were to give me a time to be there, we would be there.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Corlett

I don't drive but I do now a few are coming in via the train and so if you all hook up it's about 10-15 minutes walk. Depending on time, baring in mind I'll be reall busy with everyone, I might be able to meet ya myself. It's not half as bad as it might have seemed from my PM.

As I started this mess I would be more than happy to come and meet anyone from the railway station - it is a 10min walk tops.

That would be awesome - can you PM Mike and see what time it is?

Steve

Please note time restraints will be an issue. If everyone arrives earlier than the planned 1100 weigh in, 1130 athletes meeting and 1200 kick off (no later) then as per below we're looking at 5.20pm at the end. This does not allow for breaks, or a few seconds either way. An earlier start allows for an earlier finish.

16 athletes, 5 events, 4 attempts x 1 minute = 320 minutes or 5 hours 20 minutes. That would be the absolute minimum.

To try and keep the time to a minimum we will have access to 2 LGC V-bars (one of ours and David Hornes) and will use both ours and David's adjustable pinch set ups (we're cutting a new shaft steel 1" diameter tonight and weighed enough 1" bore plates on the new scales as well as knocking up another height set up).

In previous competitions the longest event has been the 2HP. If we can, even allowing for width flights (ie: groups will go at set widths, 44, 49 and 54mm being common - pls let Nick know on the day), keep the pinch and possibly the v-bar short then we can keep the time over all down.

Please ask any questions here or by PM'ing Nick.

Steve,

You have worked the minutes out wrong because 3 of the events are testing both hands, so 8 attempts will be done (4 each hand).

16 athletes x 8 (3 x testing right and left hands and 2 together) = 128 x 4 attempts x 1 minute = 512 minutes or 8 hours 32 minutes! :ohmy

I still need to know what you need me to bring.

David

got a questions about the v-bar, where is says 'no locking of the thumb is allowed' does that mean your not allowed to clamp your thumb down on your hand so your only using fingers? an if so is this the way all v-bar contests are done?

Steve,

You have worked the minutes out wrong because 3 of the events are testing both hands, so 8 attempts will be done (4 each hand).

16 athletes x 8 (3 x testing right and left hands and 2 together) = 128 x 4 attempts x 1 minute = 512 minutes or 8 hours 32 minutes! :ohmy

David

Gonna do the list in the next half an hour. And yes - even longer - take note people!!

got a questions about the v-bar, where is says 'no locking of the thumb is allowed' does that mean your not allowed to clamp your thumb down on your hand so your only using fingers? an if so is this the way all v-bar contests are done?

No - it's as per the post re the hook grip question you asked in the last 7 days. Not that it matters cos unless I'm mistaken you not are lifting at this event??

But if you look carefully at your question it answers itself. Locking of the thumb is not allowed - not locking of the fingers which is what happens when the thumb goes on top. I've a long thumb so it's more relevent.

I've found reading and rereading rules and then applying them as I work out (perhaps with a sheet to hand) usually helps a lot.

That and carefully looking at v-bar lift photos.

Steve,

David

Gonna do the list in the next half an hour. And yes - even longer - take note people!!

No - it's as per the post re the hook grip question you asked in the last 7 days. Not that it matters cos unless I'm mistaken you not are lifting at this event??

But if you look carefully at your question it answers itself. Locking of the thumb is not allowed - not locking of the fingers which is what happens when the thumb goes on top. I've a long thumb so it's more relevent.

I've found reading and rereading rules and then applying them as I work out (perhaps with a sheet to hand) usually helps a lot.

That and carefully looking at v-bar lift photos.

i can never find the rules! but it's alright, this thread is in my favs now, an thank god haha its just cuss it didn't say hook grip i wasn't sure, but yeh it wouldn't make sense anyway - im not competing this year no, but im getting into regular training on these lifts now an may compete next year >dont wanna be doing them wrong

thanks

Realistically, looking at weight changes and what have you, this has the potential to be a nine or even ten hour competiton.

In view of this, I wonder if there is any value in any of the following rule changes...

a) In grippers, require each competitor to make both their attempts (left and right) within a minute. As no weight changes are required in grippers, this may be plausible?

b) Reduce no of attempts per event to 3 - this would bring grip in line with other strength sports, and would reduce the length of competiton by 25% in one stroke.

Don't know if either of these suggestions are workable at this late stage?

All good and something we can agree on at the athletes meeting. The issue with the grippers is less than it might appear. It is the case that if warming up off platform it is possible to come on - shut the best you can do and leave having only had one official attempt. I have 19 grippers (I think Dunkster may have my Elite) and suggest a few bring their warm up grippers. This will keep the time down. If good selections are made - ie: you know what gripper you want, what width on the 2HP and so on it isn't necessary to use all 4 attempts.

For example I am odds on to win the pinch - if I warm up well and go in high I could win with my first attempt. That said as it's a rising bar I'd still be going on late. I'd also, from experience, like to get a safe lift or two in.

It's taken my way too long - hence David's well done comment last time - to get it right. Many do less than they might have done because of the pressure of competition and many, myself included, have bombed and got nowt.

Wow I hadn't realised it might take this long. How many nanas will you get through in that time Steve? :yikes

But I guess it's unlikely each competitor will take the full minute for each and every lift on both hands? And if, like me, both hands are similar strength (both are piss weak, haha) then vbar and 1HL attempts could be done concurrently.

I've ordered three bags (15-20 'nanas' I guess). I was planning on sharing but if it gets too long I may end up eating them all myself ha ha. ;)

I'll bring my grippers aswell - feel free to warm up with em guys