British Iron Grip 2007

mobsterone

Yes. I managed nil points by not making a single right hand v-bar lift in last years competition. Dunkster is having a similar problem to you in that (and I think it's too much bending of steel that's done it in his case) his wrist is as Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed as yours.

It might be possible to take a token lift - say with an empty bar or stupidly light weight just to get some score as opposed to none.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Hubgeezer

• David Horne

The way my right ring finger has been the last 6 weeks, I may have lots of "token" lifts. We are still 13 weeks away, so I have hope.

Hbgzr

I doubt if there is a lifter alive who is ever injury free or performs just as he'd liked to. David Horne did well (he won) at the COC event in 2005 with a shoulder that was operated on this year.

All lifts have a co-efficent and then there is an adjustment if you are in the novice or womens class. In the open no allowance is given unless you tie. For example (grr boo hoo) Theo beat me 2 years ago when we equalled each other in the European and the decision went to Theo as he was lighter. Otherwise heaviest weight wins.

My plan for the supermatch...

Loose on RT, duh! (well, i know that is not the way to approach it, but who am i kidding?)

Draw on ALL the other events and win by a (i'm 101kg right now) bodyweight difference. How's that? :D

Updated 16th Feb

Open Class

S Gardener aka Mobsterone

Sam aka CoC 3

Andy Christie - paid

Mike Corlett aka Hubgeezer - paid

Chris James

Jose Jara - paid - moved to open class for now.

Novice Class - note some names may be subject to moving to open class.

Pete 1006 - paid

Paul 'Noob Saibot' Wood - paid

Tat 70 (guy)

Duncan 'dunkster' Williams (one of our guys) - paid

Chris Williams

Scott Roberts - paid (dunno if this is the right class)

Women

Ali

Liz Horne (Dave's better half)

Loose on RT, duh! (well, i know that is not the way to approach it, but who am i kidding?)

Draw on ALL the other events and win by a (i'm 101kg right now) bodyweight difference. How's that? :D

You'll be lighter than that. The exlax, bread and water I will feed you will see to that ha ha. :tongue

Email from Jose Jara's sometime training partner, Jorge González Pachón, re competing so we may have 4 overseas competitors - 2 from the US and 2 from Spain.

You'll be lighter than that. The exlax, bread and water I will feed you will see to that ha ha. :tongue

Haha! Steve Jekyll...

Edited by DuTCH

Haha! Steve Jekyll...

Dutch Hude ha ha ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys and gals, this will be a great day. Bigger than the supermatch, where you can all show your stuff. So get these entrance fees into Steve. I will be there refereeing again, and I look forward to some monster lifts!

David

Mike,

I contacted a company in Gloucester today who can hire a set of scales for 85 quid. I'm sure if you add that into the equation for the competition fees it should be covered and then all your plates would be calibrated. I have done this before and it'll take 2 of us about an hour to do it. Easy, done job!

Nick

Based on what we have after the expenses so far and what we have left to collect £85.00 for the hire (I found one which quoted £60.00 and another to who we could take the plates for a lot less but obviously is way more work involved - I'd need to recheck re the fees) would leave a balance of (if all monies are paid) £47.00 for trophies etc.

So far we've brought a one hand lift bar (£42.00), a LGC V-Bar (£36.00) and the 3 2" blocks of wood and 20mm steel tube - for gripper setting (together £8.00) totalling £86.00 and have taken 7 payments of £15.00 (£105.00). Some costs are one-off and items can be reused for further events etc and this cost will be partly born by myself and the whey consortium.

I've also had confirmation back from the guys at London Kettlebells (Steve and Ken) and John Beatty at FBBC who've kindly agreed to donate some items for prizes. My aim is to use any fees after expenses inc scale hire for the main trophies only. We've had an offer from one competitor to help with the scale hire costs (of $50.00) which would help enormously.

It does occur to me that these 'problem's are those that ALL orgainizers and promoters have and are such that often competitors and those bemoaning how things are done are not aware of. Many will tell you of losing money many times before breaking even let alone coming out on top. We have some great sponsors doing huge amounts to help out - for example Prowriststraps.com has helped as has Ironmind and Bill Morrison at HG.

Finally calibrating plates. We have two main sets of weights - the all metal an the rubber covered. The rubber ones esp can be more easily damaged (indeed they are second hand and a few show signs of wear and tear) and as such may not weigh in a few months time what they weigh today. On that basis and with common sense the idea that spending a fair few quid to get weights checked only to need to do it again if they get chipped seems daft to me. I am pretty sure that even the LGC's very expensive Elieko set will not weight now what they once did as they are used quite often rather than only for competition. In the olympics the sets are new and calibrated. It seems we can take the calibration just so far for now.

Before I forget - thanks to Moser here for the RB grippers which Theo brought with him. All easy to shut mind ha ha ;)

Before I forget - thanks to Moser here for the RB grippers which Theo brought with him. All easy to shut mind ha ha ;)

haha, no problem Steve.

And thx to Theo, my little postman :D

As has been stated numerous times on this board, setting and recognising WR's becomes close to meaningless if you don't know the weight of the plates used. A non-calibrated 187k might be 180 or 192. It is well spent money as it adds credibility to the competitions when the results are scrutinized by future iron game historians. You are almost the only major organiser in grip that still refuses to calibrate the weights for competitions. You bring up a valid point about wear and tear though. Organisers should make sure that they can guarantee that the weight of the calibrated weights is virtually the same for future competitions. This could be done by for example selecting a random smaller sample of calibrated weights and weigh them again. In a home gym environment the weight loss for iron plates is probably rather minimal from one year to another, and possibly smaller than the resolution of the scale used.

....Finally calibrating plates. We have two main sets of weights - the all metal an the rubber covered. The rubber ones esp can be more easily damaged (indeed they are second hand and a few show signs of wear and tear) and as such may not weigh in a few months time what they weigh today. On that basis and with common sense the idea that spending a fair few quid to get weights checked only to need to do it again if they get chipped seems daft to me. I am pretty sure that even the LGC's very expensive Elieko set will not weight now what they once did as they are used quite often rather than only for competition. In the olympics the sets are new and calibrated. It seems we can take the calibration just so far for now....

The calibrated weights and Eleiko competition certified weights Arne uses for the LGc competition has a significant safety margin allowing for some wear and tear. An official 150k in the vbar for example is in reality about 151k.

...I am pretty sure that even the LGC's very expensive Elieko set will not weight now what they once did as they are used quite often rather than only for competition. In the olympics the sets are new and calibrated. It seems we can take the calibration just so far for now...

As has been stated numerous times on this board, setting and recognising WR's becomes close to meaningless if you don't know the weight of the plates used. A non-calibrated 187k might be 180 or 192. It is well spent money as it adds credibility to the competitions when the results are scrutinized by future iron game historians. You are almost the only major organiser in grip that still refuses to calibrate the weights for competitions. You bring up a valid point about wear and tear though. Organisers should make sure that they can guarantee that the weight of the calibrated weights is virtually the same for future competitions. This could be done by for example selecting a random smaller sample of calibrated weights and weigh them again. In a home gym environment the weight loss for iron plates is probably rather minimal from one year to another, and possibly smaller than the resolution of the scale used.
....Finally calibrating plates. We have two main sets of weights - the all metal an the rubber covered. The rubber ones esp can be more easily damaged (indeed they are second hand and a few show signs of wear and tear) and as such may not weigh in a few months time what they weigh today. On that basis and with common sense the idea that spending a fair few quid to get weights checked only to need to do it again if they get chipped seems daft to me. I am pretty sure that even the LGC's very expensive Elieko set will not weight now what they once did as they are used quite often rather than only for competition. In the olympics the sets are new and calibrated. It seems we can take the calibration just so far for now....

No refusal rather I do not have £85.00 spare to calibrate. We have two offers to assist with the cost - will you make up the difference?

No refusal rather I do not have £85.00 spare to calibrate. We have two offers to assist with the cost - will you make up the difference?

Yes, PM me the details so I can send you the money required.

Cheers. I'll pm all three later today.

Hello Steve,

I have some Ivanko chrome/calibrated powerlifting plates if you get stuck, they are calibrated to within 10 grams of their stated weight.

Also, in my bench pressing days with the BDFPA, They had an agreement where you could go to any Avery-Berkel depot and get all your plates weighed for free. If you need any help with this let me know. Obviously calibrated plates would be best, but if you can get an accurate weight for yours, that would do.

See you soon,

Laine