British Iron Grip 2007

mobsterone

By the time of the competition your numbers will be a lot better than they are right now.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Hubgeezer

• David Horne

• 1 month later...
Two points - from the floor you could probably out deadlift me and secondly I know for a fact you have the equipment and with ten months to train for it...

Out-deadlift you from the floor? Hmmm, not sure about that - my best ever, before my accident was 160kg, and 150 for a double. Only just getting back to that now, three and a half years later.

Still, as Hubgeezer pointed out, the height of the handles makes it a partial movement, so I'll have to get into the gym and experiment. How high are the handles on your farmers? Knee height?

Back on the Farmers' bells...

My brother lives 150 miles away, I hadn't seen him in while and he visited our mom. He brought with him his IronMind Elephant Steps, and I did some experiments with them. I loaded a Trap Bar to around 400 pounds, and set them on the Elephant Steps two different ways. These things from IronMind are like heavy duty step stools that can hold 1000 pounds. I had the trap bar resting length ways, and the bar handles were 24 inches from the floor. When I put them width ways they were 21 inches from the floor. A deadlift is 8-10 inches from the floor, depending on the size of the plates. It looks that the implements Steve showed in a previous post would set around 16 inches from the ground, without blocks.

I can only speak for 21 inches. If you are not a strong deadlifter, 21 inches would be plenty of room to manuever possibly 150 pounds more than you could deadlift. If you could deadlift 350 pounds (around 157,158 kilos) you could pull farmers handles from 21 inches of at least 500 pounds (226, 227 kilos). A contest that Kevin Meskew has in Southern California once per years features the trap bar hold with 500 pounds total. They put it up on blocks and I would say that it sits around 25 inches up. Every person could lift it enough for a hold, and 1/2 the guys were not great deadlifters.

I then placed the steps in such a way that it was like setting the bar on top of a table, and it stood 19 inches from the ground. I pulled 400 without trouble, but it was significantly more difficult than at 21 inches. At 19 inches, the bar was around two inches below the bottom of my kneecaps.

Because my lower back is not in great shape, I have never tried to deadlift more than 350 pounds. At 19 inches, I think a 500 pound Farmers inplement to be picked up is roughly equivalent to 350 pounds for a deadlift sitting low to the ground.

This is not "scientific", just the results of playing around a little.

Hubgeezer

Steve,

Are you still running this competition? Are you still discussing the events or are they set in stone? Are you likely to have events that already have records attached to them as apposed to the wrist roller and farmer's hold which are more like strongman or show events?

Nick

• 1 month later...

Steve, put me down for the opens class please mate. This should be a great competition.

Sam

Edited by CoC#3

May 19th 2007 at our unit in Gloucester. Time to be announced, events to be confirmed.

Open Class

S Gardener

Sam

Novice Class

I'm also thinking of running a Team Whey Consortium / Gloucester Vs any other team that wants to 'have a go' either later in the year or early 2007. No prizes, no entry fee just your team vs ours. Possibly three or four man teams.

Edited by mobsterone

May 19th 2007 at our unit in Gloucester. Time to be announced, events to be confirmed.

Open Class

S Gardener

Sam

Andy Christie

Novice Class

I'm also thinking of running a Team Whey Consortium / Gloucester Vs any other team that wants to 'have a go' either later in the year or early 2007. No prizes, no entry fee just your team vs ours. Possibly three or four man teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, my wife and I are going to go to England and the Isle of Man at that time. The Chelsea Garden Show is at that exact time, so that is great. May 19 is my birthday.

I am on the bubble of Novice and Open. If there is no Novice, it doesn't bother me. I probably could not handle 120 kilos per hand for the Farmer's Hold, but I believe I could handle 110. If not, then I would take a zero. My gripper strength right now is about a 2.9 right and 2.3 left. I would be shooting for 3.1 and 2.5 at that time, and that would be realistic. I would leave it up to Steve as to which division would be appropriate.

This would be contingent as to whether non-UK competitors would be permitted to enter. My father's parents were from the Isle of Man, but that does not make me a Manx citizen. My mother's father was from Ireland, and my mother's mother born in the US in a "German Catholic Colony".

TMI,

Hubgeezer

1) enter and 2) open.

I tried 130-kilos on the farmers from cold today and had to have it handed to me (piss poor form on from the floor deadlifts). Next time I'll set it up properly :blink They gave me the weight and I couldn't move into anything like a comfortable position without damaging something. However, 45 seconds was done.

I did, as you'll see in my log, work up to a crazy weight in the hand over hand movement using a weighted sledge. Only myself and one of our training buddies, 307lbs 'TT', were able to do any real damage with 300-kilos (I think). We were pulling the weight on our concreted yard. It is covered in white drag marks now.

• 2 weeks later...

Open Class

S Gardener

Sam

Andy Christie

Novice Class

Hoping to add some more names soon. If you intend competing get your names down.

Mike Corlett USA

Either class is fine. I would be in the bottom quartile of the Open, based on my guesstimate of the talent you will have participating.

May 19 will be my 53rd birthday.

MC aka Hbgzr

Hi, i'm new to this board,

Could i be entered into the Novice class, here is what i can do:

I can pinch 60lbs and close the no.3.

Not done any Vbar stuff or rolling thunder, but would like to give it a go.

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by Pete1006

Event:

British Grip Championships

Date / time:

May 19th 2007 at our unit in Gloucester. Time to be announced (probably 1130 o/w), events to be confirmed (were gonna have a proper l0ok at rules and co-efficents for the two non-standardized lifts before xmas).

Open Class

S Gardener aka Mobsterone

Sam aka CoC 3

Andy Christie

Mike Corlett aka Hubgeezer

Novice Class

Pete 1006*

*Please note that in previous competitions the ability to shut a CoC 3 is considered to be enough to make you an open class participent so we may move you up to the open class if other lifts improve before then. It will also depend on numbers of other athletes etc.

Those asking for dates and times... where are your names?!! :trout

Steve what is the hardest gripper you have calibrated ready for this contest? Also is the allowed set for the grippers MMS? :unsure

I plan on, with his permission, using David Hornes calibrated grippers. My understanding is the highest is a 3.65 gripper. Rules for grippers are as follows - these are the same as used in most grip competitions:

Grippers

Calibrated

1. Competitors will be allowed to set the gripper down to 20mm (just over 3/4 inch) and a gauge will be provided to measure the gap before the close. You may hold and apply the gauge yourself or ask the referee to do it.

2. Once the gripper is set, the other hand must be kept at least 30cm (1 foot) away from the gripping hand and arm and the gripper. The referee may, if necessary, steady the competitor's arm in order to clearly see the close.

3. The grippers are the only event that does not operate on the rising bar principle. If you fail to close a gripper, you can attempt a lighter one on the next attempt.

4. Competitors will be called in the order they appear on the recorder's sheet. Each time they are called, they will make one attempt with each hand.

I plan on, with his permission, using David Hornes calibrated grippers. My understanding is the highest is a 3.65 gripper. Rules for grippers are as follows - these are the same as used in most grip competitions:

Grippers

Calibrated

1. Competitors will be allowed to set the gripper down to 20mm (just over 3/4 inch) and a gauge will be provided to measure the gap before the close. You may hold and apply the gauge yourself or ask the referee to do it.....

I think the 20mm wooden piece rule is unique for the IG competition. I think the most common set for competition is the parallell set (eg. European championship, LGC, Oz 2006 and some US competitions as well).

Without checking I think a parallell set is close to equal to the 20mm piece. That said it is, IMO, fairer as a parallel set being judged at an angle by a ref is harder to judge and so set than a quick in and out with a small block of wood. Comparions of the gripper closes between events might be of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll blow the ballons up half way then ha ha :D

I also did some homework last week with a pen and paper. As I compete maybe once or twice a year I decided to drop some weight of my exercises and lengthen rest periods etc. Finally I wrote down a plan that will, I hope, have me at peak levels come May. Fingers crossed :cool