• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Hubgeezer

• David Horne

Good luck to everyone! Sounds like a fun contest! Mob looks stronger that ever the last months. It will be interesting to see if he can defend his title against Chris.

Final list to date:

Open Class

S Gardener aka Mobsterone

Sam aka CoC 3

Andy Christie

Mike Corlett aka Hubgeezer

Chris James - paid

Jorge Gonzalez

Jose Jara

Novice Class

Pete 1006

Paul 'Noob Saibot' Wood

Duncan 'dunkster' Williams

Chris Williams

Phil K

Drinks (tea, coffee, lemonade, cola and some fruit juice will be on hand - crate of beer in house ;) for after) will be provided (£2.00 donation in jar by guests please). Some bananas and two cakes (three lads have birthdays) later on in the day. That said I always make sure I have my needs covered by bringing a small amount with me to events to keep me going in case event food is no good (pizza at the GGC 2004 while nice isn't optimal lifting food). Bring a sandwich etc to top up what we have.

Laine will NOT be contesting RT record but did bring over weights for us to calibrate our scales with today.

Don't forget to bring cameras and a folding chair if you have one. With athletes and guests I'm expecting 40 or so. Although it's usually plenty of room to work out in 40 will make it feel crowded.

Some parking (very limited on site) in the road outside. There is also a FREE car park in Vauxhall Road (or street??) behind the Vauxhall pub in Barton street and this is two streets away (2 minutes walk).

We have moved stuff around this afternoon setting up the two areas we will use. If it does become sunny one or two events can be done outside.

Finally even with reduced numbers it will still be a long day and so if we can keep the pace moving... so be ready to go when it's your turn. Know the width you want on the pinch and so on. I am happy for people to come early and if everyone arrives before 'time' we will start asap - no earlier than 1100 and no later than 12 noon. We HOPE to be done by 5.30 but... those with trains and transport issues might want to keep an eye on the clock.

I'll open the event by introducing it then, for the rest of the lifting day, I will hand over control 100% to Nick and his team of helpers. As I'll be lifting and wanting to do my best I'll be focused on that. So any problems speak to the team.

Most of all - have fun!!

Edited by mobsterone

Last night in work i was informed by my "sympathetic" manager that i have got to work nights again on Friday night , this is the 4 th in a row.I explained the sitution with the comp on Saturday but he said theres nothing he could do.

So that means i 've got to work a fourth night shift in a row , drive 2 hours to Gloucester, compete all day and then drive back home afterwards, with no sleep.

I've filled the car full of System of a Down, Led Zepplin, ACDC, Slipknot and Rod Stewart to keep me awake !!! and have a crate full of Red Bull on hand.

If i fall asleep mid comp , please feel free to hit me with a stick.

Last night in work i was informed by my "sympathetic" manager that i have got to work nights again on Friday night , this is the 4 th in a row.I explained the sitution with the comp on Saturday but he said theres nothing he could do.

So that means i 've got to work a fourth night shift in a row , drive 2 hours to Gloucester, compete all day and then drive back home afterwards, with no sleep.

I've filled the car full of System of a Down, Led Zepplin, ACDC, Slipknot and Rod Stewart to keep me awake !!! and have a crate full of Red Bull on hand.

If i fall asleep mid comp , please feel free to hit me with a stick.

I hated nights - awful

I wish you all good luck ladies and gentleman!

Thorsten

Cheers Thorsten and thanks for the help with prizes!

Good Luck to all!

I wish you all good luck ladies and gentleman!

Thorsten

Cheers Thorsten and thanks for the help with prizes!

No problem - I am glad you like it!

I hope you have a great comp with lot of fun, Steve.

All the best and pls upload pix and results as soon as you can :D

Thorsten

Goof Luck Everyone!!! :rock

Great day - nice to meet everyone in person.

An injury i sustained 2 weeks ago on wrist curls cost me a 3rd place i ended up just doing a 100kg lift and leaving it there cos of the pain in the wrist + not being able to physically get enough rom!

After the competition i did a decent #4 attempt with witnesses and got it to about 4-5mm. Mobster got my #4 to 1mm or even closer. It was so close to closed i reckon you'd struggle to get a piece of paper in there. Amazing stuff.

Tried the millennium db for the first time aswell managed to 2 hand clean it and get it moving overhead but it's a little too heavy at 103kg also when i attempted a one hand deadlift i got some slight air and could get the back bell off the floor every time. Mob made a few excellent lifts, both pretty close to a full deadlift imo.

Welldone to everyone today, great performances all round (Mike's 3 close at 53 years of age was unbelievable he closed that thing real easy!)

Nick big loz cougarman and H great reffing you kept the contest running veyr smoothly all day!

Yet another win by David, I assume David lifted what he needed to win in the TTWC. Well done to everyone. Fantastic vbar lifting by Chris and also David. Looking forward to see the calibrated results.

Incredible one hand lift by Steve and a very solid pinch by him as well.

I am sure Chris will be back better prepared next year. At this level one cannot afford not training with competition replica's equipment. I am anyway very impressed by Chris pulling 324k in the vbar total (pending calibration results) in his first competition.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Great day - nice to meet everyone in person.

An injury i sustained 2 weeks ago on wrist curls cost me a 3rd place i ended up just doing a 100kg lift and leaving it there cos of the pain in the wrist + not being able to physically get enough rom!

After the competition i did a decent #4 attempt with witnesses and got it to about 4-5mm. Mobster got my #4 to 1mm or even closer. It was so close to closed i reckon you'd struggle to get a piece of paper in there. Amazing stuff.

Tried the millennium db for the first time aswell managed to 2 hand clean it and get it moving overhead but it's a little too heavy at 103kg also when i attempted a one hand deadlift i got some slight air and could get the back bell off the floor every time. Mob made a few excellent lifts, both pretty close to a full deadlift imo.

Welldone to everyone today, great performances all round (Mike's 3 close at 53 years of age was unbelievable he closed that thing real easy!)

Nick big loz cougarman and H great reffing you kept the contest running veyr smoothly all day!

**Mike, happy birthday and congrats on closing the #3 in fron of everyone.

Congratulations to all especially to David, and also to Chris for making the trip with little rest. Of course we have to add the Hubgeezer for coming all the way from America. We're looking forward to the results and videos.

Just wanted to wish Chris all the best for his recovery from the torn bicep.

Wish I could have been there! Sounds like history, and in particular, the future of history, was made today!

Looked like a great contest! Very good numbers from everyone!

Congrats everyone :rock

Results. Calibrated weights list to be added soon. Reports etc next dew days:

http://beyondstrong.typepad.com/my_weblog/...sh_grip_ch.html

Steve, the link isn't working? either the link is wrong or the problem is with my PC (which i assume it is).

Just saw it. Well well done :mosher 4-5mm is like a white nail thickness (3/16). And well done Steve on the 1mm. That great!

It was a great competition, slickly run - kudos to Nick, Mike, Lawrence and Harry for keeping things moving so quickly. Spending most of the day loading plates, lying on the floor judging height and then providing lift offs for the TTWC cannot have been easy!

As for the competition itself, Congrats to David for his tenth victory - maybe after ten he should not be allowed to compete anymore! :tongue As he is in the early stages of his prep for the GGC I don't think anyone there was more surprised than himself - except for perhaps Steve! Apart from the V-Bar, Steve stepped up to the plate (especially his amazing one-hand lift marks 330+300=630) and, when David seemed to struggle with his penultimate TTWC (200kg) and Steve then nailed 220kg I really thought that David might not make it.

I would like to wish Chris the best recovering from his injury - his V-Bar was extremely impressive and all felt that, with the one-hand lift and TTWC as his potential best events he could certainly have threatened Steve and David in the overall. There's always next year!

Injury also affected Sam's placing, as he was clearly running third until the final event. He is an extremely nice guy and was very generous in cheering on the other competitors. His 300kg one-hand lift was one of the highlights of the day in terms of effort. I've posted before that he is a future champion and I stand by that.

The Spaniards Jorge and Jose were both very strong guys with extremely strong wrists, as evidenced by their huge wrist curls. A Little bit more work on the V-Bar would cure their only weakness.

Andy = Mr Consistency. A fine display of knowing one's limits and working within them - a lesson to all.

It was great to see Mike bcecome the oldest man in competiton to shut a #3 - it was easy for him in the end. I know Mike was a little dissappointed in some of his weight selection but he has no need to be - he did a fine job.

As for the novices, well - I don't think any of them were, as the top marks threatened some of those in the open competiton. A bit more experience with certain exercises (one-hand lift and TTWC in particular) and any of the Novices could have hung in the open - they were that good.

I was dissappointed that I had to run out as soon as the contest had finished, but someone had been trying to offer me a job all day and I had hoped to catch them before they went home. I was able to see Steve's attempt on the #4 and Sam's attempted overhead with the Millenium, and I am looking forward to reading if anything went down after I left.

Overall, it was great to meet all of the people there and this was a cracking contest.

Congrats everyone :rock
Results. Calibrated weights list to be added soon. Reports etc next dew days:

http://beyondstrong.typepad.com/my_weblog/...sh_grip_ch.html

Steve, the link isn't working? either the link is wrong or the problem is with my PC (which i assume it is).

Works for me. Try www.beyondstrong.com as well.

It was a great competition, slickly run - kudos to Nick, Mike, Lawrence and Harry for keeping things moving so quickly. Spending most of the day loading plates, lying on the floor judging height and then providing lift offs for the TTWC cannot have been easy!

As for the competition itself, Congrats to David for his tenth victory - maybe after ten he should not be allowed to compete anymore! :tongue As he is in the early stages of his prep for the GGC I don't think anyone there was more surprised than himself - except for perhaps Steve! Apart from the V-Bar, Steve stepped up to the plate (especially his amazing one-hand lift marks 330+300=630) and, when David seemed to struggle with his penultimate TTWC (200kg) and Steve then nailed 220kg I really thought that David might not make it.

I would like to wish Chris the best recovering from his injury - his V-Bar was extremely impressive and all felt that, with the one-hand lift and TTWC as his potential best events he could certainly have threatened Steve and David in the overall. There's always next year!

Injury also affected Sam's placing, as he was clearly running third until the final event. He is an extremely nice guy and was very generous in cheering on the other competitors. His 300kg one-hand lift was one of the highlights of the day in terms of effort. I've posted before that he is a future champion and I stand by that.

The Spaniards Jorge and Jose were both very strong guys with extremely strong wrists, as evidenced by their huge wrist curls. A Little bit more work on the V-Bar would cure their only weakness.

Andy = Mr Consistency. A fine display of knowing one's limits and working within them - a lesson to all.

It was great to see Mike bcecome the oldest man in competiton to shut a #3 - it was easy for him in the end. I know Mike was a little dissappointed in some of his weight selection but he has no need to be - he did a fine job.

As for the novices, well - I don't think any of them were, as the top marks threatened some of those in the open competiton. A bit more experience with certain exercises (one-hand lift and TTWC in particular) and any of the Novices could have hung in the open - they were that good.

I was dissappointed that I had to run out as soon as the contest had finished, but someone had been trying to offer me a job all day and I had hoped to catch them before they went home. I was able to see Steve's attempt on the #4 and Sam's attempted overhead with the Millenium, and I am looking forward to reading if anything went down after I left.

Overall, it was great to meet all of the people there and this was a cracking contest.

Cheers again Chris and thanks for getting Mike C to the event.

Just got back to my hometown in Surrey, lower back a bit stiff and hands are pretty fried, but otherwise im feeling good and buzzing from picking up 2nd place in the Novice class. The trophy is amazing, and is now my most prized possesion, i will have to build a glass cabinet for it.

My moments where i felt like a shined, were the 2HP and the Vbar, lifting 77.75kg and 134kg respectively, but in both i felt like i had more in the tank but ran out of attempts. It was a big learning experience for me, having never done the 1 hand deadlift before i think my technique was somewhat unorthodox, but the lifts i did 190/185 kg i felt very pleased with and got a really good buzz doing it. Im gonna have to set myself up with this type of equipment now so i can set some new PR's before the next competition.

It was great to meet all the lads, i thought the atmosphere there was something else, really exciting stuff, i will definately be coming back next year.

Thanks to all the organisers for putting on such a good day,

Pete

Congrats to all, esp. to David for his win! Great job!