Acorn's Training Log

acorn

Looks like a pretty darn good workout to me. I have managed to tweak my left shoulder. So I'm holding off on bending for a few days. I should have my Reds on Wednesday.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acorn

• lifesnotfair

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

Looks like a pretty darn good workout to me. I have managed to tweak my left shoulder. So I'm holding off on bending for a few days. I should have my Reds on Wednesday.

I hope that your shoulder feels better. Take it easy, the extra rest will be a boost. Good to hear that your gonna finally get a chance to demolish some of those. I have a 25pack of reds coming Tues and My FBBC order hopefully coming this week as well. I think I may take a few days off from bending to heal up good too.

- Aaron

Last night did a bit of RT.

Went up to 151 for a couple sets of 3.

Then messed around with grippers a little but my grip was pretty well shot.

Today I just got a successful grip-n-rip on a 1 5/8" thick phonebook.

I think thats the first time I've been able to something other than the pop technique.

- Aaron

My left bicep is still recovering from the weekend. I thought I might do a little light bending just to see where it was at.

Bending

1x IM blue reverse Style IM pads

1x IM Red nail (time about 2:00 minutes, bicep definately still tender.)

rested 20 minutes

1x 6.0" Red nail (got it to 2.5" in about 3 minutes, rested 5 minutes then got it down to 1 7/8")

I'll keep icing it and try again on sunday maybe.

- Aaron

My left bicep is still recovering from the weekend. I thought I might do a little light bending just to see where it was at.

Bending

1x IM blue reverse Style IM pads

1x IM Red nail (time about 2:00 minutes, bicep definately still tender.)

rested 20 minutes

1x 6.0" Red nail (got it to 2.5" in about 3 minutes, rested 5 minutes then got it down to 1 7/8")

I'll keep icing it and try again on sunday maybe.

- Aaron

Excellent job on that 6" Red! :rock In a few more workouts you'll get it in 2 minutes or less. That'll put you up a bit on the old bending list!

My benchpress stinks. I've been reading your routine on page 3, it's like the third time I read it, but I still have many questions.

Why so many days off? .. Damn. I'm currently lifting 3 days a week, and I must say I sure do a lot of isolation excercises... I'm just not really interested in deadlifts and squats, I'm a chicken and don't want my back screwed up, and I don't wanna be a strongman competitor. But I would like to bench more than what I can now.

What amazes me the most about your routine, is not only the fact that you take many days off, but also the fact that you only do 1 heavy set, with sometimes a warmup with 55% or 75% of the weight with which you're gonn do the heavy set. Woah. I do it all wrong then... for example, the bench (I workout the chest on mondays, along with my back), I always do 3 sets, something like 3x10 but sometimes the last set is 8 because I can't bench no more. And from reading your 55/75%, I think I'm starting with too much on the first sets. But still, even if I started with less, your "warmup" sets are just 3 mere reps?? What!? Heh. And another thing, you only do this and then incline (but in another cycle) .. damn, sounds so little.. I go insane and do 3 sets on flat bench, 3 on decline, 3 on incline and then 3 sets of flyes with dumbells. :-( ... I don't wanna abandon this routine because in less than 8 weeks, it's made my ches look nice... but not nearly as strong as I had hoped. So, I wanna make it strong, but also making it look nice.. damn, what a dilemma :P ... In the other muscles though, I have noticed I can use more weight every workouts... but benchpress, not quite. My last set is like 165-175lb.

Great bend Aaron! :rock

My benchpress stinks. I've been reading your routine on page 3, it's like the third time I read it, but I still have many questions.

Why so many days off? .. Damn. I'm currently lifting 3 days a week, and I must say I sure do a lot of isolation excercises... I'm just not really interested in deadlifts and squats, I'm a chicken and don't want my back screwed up, and I don't wanna be a strongman competitor. But I would like to bench more than what I can now.

What amazes me the most about your routine, is not only the fact that you take many days off, but also the fact that you only do 1 heavy set, with sometimes a warmup with 55% or 75% of the weight with which you're gonn do the heavy set. Woah. I do it all wrong then... for example, the bench (I workout the chest on mondays, along with my back), I always do 3 sets, something like 3x10 but sometimes the last set is 8 because I can't bench no more. And from reading your 55/75%, I think I'm starting with too much on the first sets. But still, even if I started with less, your "warmup" sets are just 3 mere reps?? What!? Heh. And another thing, you only do this and then incline (but in another cycle) .. damn, sounds so little.. I go insane and do 3 sets on flat bench, 3 on decline, 3 on incline and then 3 sets of flyes with dumbells. :-( ... I don't wanna abandon this routine because in less than 8 weeks, it's made my ches look nice... but not nearly as strong as I had hoped. So, I wanna make it strong, but also making it look nice.. damn, what a dilemma :P ... In the other muscles though, I have noticed I can use more weight every workouts... but benchpress, not quite. My last set is like 165-175lb.

Your right, many questions. I think that this kind of workout goes against much if not all of the conventional Bodybuilding influenced wisdom. In fact I don't even know if it will provide results for anyone other than me. It will not get you cut up or make your muscles pretty, but has the potential to make them stronger at a consistent rate at least in my case. Much of the focus is on compound movements and intensity rather than volume. Also I think that much of the improvement with this program can be attributed to the squats/deadlifts (high intensity squats/deads increase HGH release IMO) and giving adequite time for complete rest and recovery. I am often sore for 4-5 days after a good heavy workout like this. I do one heavy set because I can get decent strength increases with just one. I do triples up to training weight because they are just enough to warm up the muscles without a sign of fatigue. This program does not build muscular endurance, when I do additional sets the weight/# of reps drops. When I get to the point where I cannot continue to get strength increases with one heavy set I will increase the load by adding a second heavy set. So if you wanna cut up and get defined muscles the BB method works, However thats not what I wanted, I just like being strong. If you wanna give this a try let me know, the only other person who I know has tried it and has achieved results is my workout partner who recently joined the board mscozz73 and I think he has had some pretty decent increases so far.

- Aaron

This weekend a few friends were over so I closed my #3 for them a few times, then tore a 2 1/8" thick phone book long ways grip and rip style. It was a pretty big PR for me. Still trying to take it easy for a few days to let some nagging injuries heal up abit. I'll see where I'm at on weds or thurs and maybe bend again then. Still doing morning cardio. Haven't lost any weight, still at 260#. I think I'm gaining mucsle to replace the fat as usual.

- Aaron

Still doing morning cardio. Haven't lost any weight, still at 260#. I think I'm gaining mucsle to replace the fat as usual.

- Aaron

Hrm... you must be a very big guy if at 260, you feel you're pure muscle and no fat :P

Still doing morning cardio. Haven't lost any weight, still at 260#. I think I'm gaining mucsle to replace the fat as usual.

- Aaron

Hrm... you must be a very big guy if at 260, you feel you're pure muscle and no fat :P

Never said I was pure muscle, there is definately plenty of fat to go around. I hope to get down to 220-230, I would be pretty lean then.

- Aaron

Picked up a nice book at the used bookstore tonight, Power a scientific approach by Hatfield. It should be a nice one to add to the collection as I was already in the process of working my way thru "science and practice of strength training by vladimir zatsiorsky" which is a much more dry read. I did a bit of RT tonight, and I think I'm gonna try a program out of the new book for a while on RT.

grippers for warmup

Tx10

#1x4

hg250x3

RT Week 1 workout 1

2x109 LH

2x130 RH

2x116 LH

2x139 RH

2x124 LH

2x148 RH

Wide pinch plates with 2" tube thru middle

3x (4 10's)

2x (4 10's + 1 five)

TTK

2x10

2x12.5

2x15 RH

2x12.5 LH

6lb sledge

a few front raises full length and twists at 24"

- Aaron

Today tore 3 phone books for coworkers that one of them brought in for me. I 1/4ed and even 1/8thed the thinner ones. Biggest was over 2". That was pretty fun. Also got my big box o goodies in from FBBC all 23lbs of steel and fun. Looking forward to doing some certs once my muscle strains heal up. Still icing left pec and stretching. Left bicep doing much better prolly at 90%. Gonna try to do a RT workout again tonight.

- Aaron

Workout tonight

grippers to warmup

Rolling Thunder

LH

2x106lb

2x116lb

6x3x126lb

RH

2x126lb

2x133lb

6x3x143lb

Wide pinch

LH

3x(4 10s) w/ pipe thru center

2x(4 10s & 5lb) w/pipe

2x(4 10s width + extra 10)

tried to break ground with 5 10's no luck

RH

3x(4 10s) w/ pipe

3x(5 10s) w/pipe

2x(5 10s) no pipe just broke off ground.

TTK

3x 10 BH

3x 12.5 BH

3x 15 RH

6lb sledge

some front raises, to head and twists 2x3x26" on the twists.

Bending

1xIM blue reverse

- Aaron

You mentioned trying a new routine for RT. Do you calculate the poundages and determine the reps by some formula suggested in that book you mentioned?

You mentioned trying a new routine for RT. Do you calculate the poundages and determine the reps by some formula suggested in that book you mentioned?

Yes the poundages are calculated. Its a russian power training program pretty low reps 3 times a week for six weeks. I normally wouldn't like that many times a week but it goes heavy day light day ratcheting up over the 6 week period. Looked interesting so I thought I would give it a try on RT which for me has had little progress with what I had been doing.

- Aaron

My buddy Marco or mscozz73 on the board came over tonight to do some bending. He got his first couple of blues. Pretty awesome. For me I tried a little bending too.

Bending

1 5"x1/4" round FBBC

1 6"x1/4" Gr5

1 FBBC Bastard

1 attempt at 6.5"x5/16" Big Hexabastard Barely a wobble

1 attempt at 6.5"x5/16" Big Shiny Bastard. 5 penny kink

1 7"x 5/16" Gr2 bolt 307A

wristulator

5lbx bunch of reps flex and 6 reps ext

7.5lb x 16 reps flex and 3 reps ext

Little bit of grippers and some various other stuff

- Aaron

Wow,

brave attempts Aaron. :rock

Those hex bars are mean in the kink, good thing is they are getting easier whereas the shinys are getting harder. :whacked

Wow,

brave attempts Aaron. :rock

Those hex bars are mean in the kink, good thing is they are getting easier whereas the shinys are getting harder. :whacked

Thanks, I think I overestimated my recovery from the injury and underestimated the big hex. I might bend again on Sunday

Yesterday

RT

LH

2x109lbs

2x116lbs

6x2x126lbs

RH

2x126lbs

2x133lbs

6x2x143.5lbs

TTK

2x10lbs BH

2x12.5lbs RH

2x11.5lbs LH

4x15lb RH

4x12.5lbs LH

- Aaron

Today

Gym, 30 min treadmill

Incline Bench

5x135lb

6x185lb

Pec still a bit sore with a good bit of swelling where it inserts into arm. this workout was light just to shake out the cobwebs.

Pullups

8xBW

Standing dumbell tricep ext

8x50lbs

Bending at home

1x 7"x1/4"

1x 6"x1/4" Gr5

1x 6"x5/16" FBBC Huge Bastard PR

1x 5.5"x5/16" FBBC Grand Bastard to 1 7/8" in about 1min 45sec PR

1x 7"x 5/16 Shiny to 70 deg for cooldown. PR Could have hit it alot harder but pec was a bit sore and didn't want to push it too much.

Wow,

those are some very serious bends, Aaron. :rock

I'm a bit shocked that after getting a PR with the Huge Bastard you got the Grand Bastard also. :blink

That is a truly AWESOME bend on the Grand Bastard Acorn!!! :rock Especially for the short period you've been bending.

Did you think the 7" Shiny Bastard was harder than the 5.5" Grand Bastard or was it impossible to compare the two due to fatigue? Just curious because some of us are able to bend the Shiny but not the Grand and some are the other way around.

I find the kink to 90 degrees on the Grand Bastard is not very hard at all. But I've for some reason never been able to finish one off in the time limit. However, the Shiny seems to be hard all the way through. But the longer length seems to suit me more than the shorter stuff.

That is a truly AWESOME bend on the Grand Bastard Acorn!!! :rock Especially for the short period you've been bending.

Did you think the 7" Shiny Bastard was harder than the 5.5" Grand Bastard or was it impossible to compare the two due to fatigue? Just curious because some of us are able to bend the Shiny but not the Grand and some are the other way around.

I find the kink to 90 degrees on the Grand Bastard is not very hard at all. But I've for some reason never been able to finish one off in the time limit. However, the Shiny seems to be hard all the way through. But the longer length seems to suit me more than the shorter stuff.

Thanks Guys, I could have gone further with the shiny but my pec injury still not 100%. Didn't want to push too hard and reinjure it. As far as which is harder I won't know until I get it closer to crushdown I think. The grand for me hit a wall right at 2" and I checked The spread then put the wraps back on and got it to 1 7/8"

-Aaron

Yesterday

RT

LH

2x109lbs

2x116lbs

6x4x126lbs

RH

2x126lbs

2x133lbs

6x4x143.5lbs

Wide Pinch