Acorn's Training Log

acorn

KTA going ok, took it easy no grippers on left today. Sore index flexor tendon in palm for a few days. On my right I closed The BBSM for the first time. KTA 2nd week day 3.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acorn

• lifesnotfair

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

KTA still, Closed the BBSM again yesterday so I'm sure it wasn't my imagination. HG300 will be next on deck for my right. Today closed the HG250 which mine is unseasoned and about a #2.1 right now with my left.

Yesterday's Sledge work

6lb sledge

Position R / L

Front 8 x 25" / 8 x 21"

Rear 10 x 30" / 8 x 28"

Front 8 x 25" / 8 x 21"

Rear 7 x 30" / 8 x 28"

Pro/sup 8 x 20" / 8 x 18"

- Aaron

Weights today

10 minutes treadmill warmup

Bench

1x5x175lb

1x3x245lb

1x5x295lb (probably could have gotten 1 more but no spotter didn't want to chance it)

30deg Incline bench

1x6x185lb (first time in 8 years)

Hammer strength pulldowns

1x12x270lb (fast easy)

Head Bangers

1x7x135lb (felt triceps soreness immediately, Gonna be sore tomorrow. Haven't done these since HS)

DB Hammer Curl

1x8x60lb

DB side raises

1x6x50lb (might have been 8 can't remember)

Finished KTA stuff

Bending

1x1/4"x6" grade 2 bolt

1x1/4"x6" Plated HRS

1x1/4"x5" grade 2 bolt

All DO from start to finish. just did a little to quench the need to bend. Trying not to push it while on KTA

Hands feeling sore swollen but healthy. LT index flexor tendon felt much better after a couple of days of rest. Got back on KTA where I left off for the LT.

Body Weight 260lbs

Nearing the end of the 3rd week of KTA. Not much progress in the grippers this week. My hands felt beat up most of the time. However got the TTK2 and am making a little progress with it. Today did 7.5lbs full range on it both hands. Got all my reps on RT and forced a couple on LT. Also did levering today, heres the numbers:

6lb sledge

Front RT 2x8x26"

Front LT 2x8x22"

Rear RT 2x9x31"

Rear LT 2x8x29"

Pro/sup RT 10x20"

Pro/Sup LT 8x19"

- Aaron

Started 4th week of KTA yesterday.

Little bending yesterday and today. 1/4" x 5 3/4", 1 Blue, 1 60d, made a try at a 6" grade 5, didn't budge it.

Gym today

Incline Bench

1x5x135lb

1x10x205lb

Hammer strength pulldowns closegrip plateloaded

1x10x360lb

lying tricep barbell press (head bangers)

1x10x135lb

DB hammer curls

1x8x65lb

Side DB raises

1x8x50lb

Finished 4th week KTA today. Definately gaining strength. Getting just about all my BBSM closes MMS on my RT for the last few days. Same with #2 on LT. Also NS #2 on my RT during warmup today, thats a PR. HG300 close to less than 1/8" on RT. BBSM to about 1/2" or less on LT. Also digging the PDA ISG-DA I'm using it for negs on my RT now at 2,7,12 since I don't have a gripper bigger than 2006 #3. TTK , ponies, or ISG for thumbs this week. I found a use for used bending stock, microloading on the TTK lol. Did sledge work earlier this week too and didn't record it, but was more steady improvement. I'm thinking about welding up a Secret Weapon like device to play with when I finish KTA. If anyone has any interest in one of these I might be persuaded to make a couple. Also went to the neuro surgen for my back yesterday. Damn thing has been pinching the Sciatic for 3 solid weeks. Gonna get an MRI on monday and see what can be done.

- Aaron

Last night did:

6lb Sledge

Front lever RT

5x28", 2x4x28"

Front Lever LT

3x5x24"

Lever to Head RT

2x8x30"

Lever to Head LT

2x5x30"

Pronate/supnate

RT 6x22"

LT 5x20"

Started week 5 of KTA today. Had an awesome workout. Closed the HG300 MMS with my right, and got the BBSM to 1/4" or less on my left. NS the #2 on my RT. Also got 12.5lbs full range on my TTK, and 10lbs full range on left.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Had an awesome weight workout today.

Incline bench

3x135lbs

8x225lbs

Hammer strength plate load close grip lat pulldowns

5x450lbs

Hammer strength military press

10x180lbs

Straight bar standing curls

6x135lbs

Lying tricep ext (head bangers)

10x135lbs very explosive

Also did KTA day 3 week 5

Training going well. Hands and forearms definately getting harder. Feels good.

- Aaron

Oh yeah almost forgot, I got the MRI on my back today. Looking forward to the results, I hope the neuro surgen can fix it up.

KTA today. Left wrist was hurting a good bit at base of thumb. Did get a PR on the RT though.

Was able to use my HG250 for overcrushes and strap holds with 5lbs.

Also tried out my new toy the diy LWC II

Flexion 1x15x15lbs

Extension 1x8x7.5

6lb sledge

messed around mostly, did a bunch of fronts and a few rears.

- Aaron

Oh I almost forgot I also deadlifted 4 10's on RT for the first time with these awfully slick new plates, also broke ground and got a few inches with 3 tens and a 5 on left. All of this after KTA and LWC II workout. in warmup for KTA workout today I got my 2006 #3 to about 3/8", I used some 1/4" stock to compare when I was crushing it. That with the #3 was definately a big PR. I think I'm getting it closed further now than I was getting the BBSM when I started doing KTA about 5 weeks ago. All in all a decent day even though I'm still sore from the workout on monday and my hands an lower arms feel pretty beat up.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Hey man, you are making great progress! Keep up the good work and that #3 will be a piece of cake. :rock

Hey man, you are making great progress! Keep up the good work and that #3 will be a piece of cake. :rock

Thanks Jake, I hope so. Its been going pretty well with my RT, but I've been fighting a sore tendon for my index finger in the palm of my left. As a result there hasn't been a lot of progress on it. I've been taking it easy on it the last couple of days only doing the warmup portion of my KTA workouts and then a couple of closes with either the #2 or hg250 (about 2.1) However I had a huge PR today on my Right I got the #3 to 1/4", I had a 60d nail I used to check the width. Thats definately my best yet. I also did a set with my LWC II yesterday that was a PR 5x20lb on flex, 5x10lb on ext. I think I got 6x30" or 31" on my 6lb sledge to the front as well on the RT which would be a good PR as well today. Ok last PR was on TTK yesterday, I got 15lb for a full range close one time. The my best before was 12.5+about a pound of bent 1/4" stock and nails. I'm currently in week 5 of 10 for the KTA cycle, and if nothing gets injured on my RT I think I will actually close the #3 by the end of this cycle.

Aaron, You are doing great on the grippers!

You will get even stronger near the end of KTA...approaching phase 3. This is where the "supercompensation" will really start kicking in.

Don't get discouraged in Phase 2 if it seems you are getting weaker for awhile..it is all part of KTA trying to teach your body to recover faster by "Specific Adaptation To Imposed Demands" the "Said" principle.

Later on the program will allow a bit more rest to let the supercompensation to take place.

Kta took me from the one to the three in about three months, I am sure with you closing the 2 initially you will easily achieve that also and maybe much more!!

Thanks Paul, for the words of encouragement they are much appreciated.

Week 6 KTA

Got my BBSM to less than 1/8" on my left tonight in my second workout. Also got a couple of decent workouts with my new LWC and could not resist bending a couple of blues yesterday.

Weights today

Incline bench

5x245lbs no spot, probably could have got more.

Chinups

14xBW (260lbs)

Hammer strength Military press

10x200lbs

Standing barbell curls

6x135lbs

Lying Tricep Extension

10x135lb

Gotta go time to go do Dynamic thumb work.

- Aaron

Thats some good pressing numbers there Acorn!! The hammerstrength is pretty close to free weights isn't it? Can't remember it's been awhile..

Thats some good pressing numbers there Acorn!! The hammerstrength is pretty close to free weights isn't it? Can't remember it's been awhile..

Thanks, yeah its pretty close. I'm doing the a awesome program I developed years ago. Its the same one I came up with that got me the last 200lbs in my 850 squat and the last 150lbs in my 550 bench in 5 months. Its pure strength and works really well with grippers for me. I PMed blackheart with the specifics yesterday. I can either PM you it, or post it here if you think anyone would be interested.

- Aaron

Sure that would be great..post away!!

Sure that would be great..post away!!

Ok here it is, and I just want to reiterate that this works great for me but is untested with anyone else. Also if you are supplementing with creatine you can adjust the time between workouts from every 6 - 10 days to every 4 - 7 days

My program is based on full body strength training once every 6 to 10 days depending on when your body feels recovered. Also I only do 1 heavy set per exercise. If I ever get to the point with this where I am not getting gains anymore I might go to 2 heavy sets. I have never needed to yet.

It has 2 cycles each with different but similiar exercises so you don't get stale.

A cycle lasts 6 weeks.

Workout weights are based on percentages with a goal number of reps.

for example my current goal range is 5 to 8 reps. However sometimes I use 6 to 10 reps as a goal range. 6 to 10 is what I recommend for you to start.

For each exercise try to initially pick a weight you can do in that range of reps

Also for exercises which are compound movements that are using a lot of weight I do 1 or 2 warmup sets of 3 reps at 55% then 75% of training weight. For example if I was benching and my goal was to get 295lb for 6 to 10 reps I would warmup

3x165

3x220

6-10x295

I usually can add a rep with this method every one or 2 workouts, and sometimes 2 reps from one workout to the next. A rep per workout may not sound like much but to go from 5 reps with something to 8 reps is a 9% gain in equivalent 1RM strength. To go from 6 to 10reps on a weight is about a 11.5% gain in equivalent 1RM strength.

Once you hit your upper rep limit it is time to increase the weight for the next workout. everything is based on calculated 1RM. Here's how for example:

If I hit 10x295 and that is my goal here is the calculation to get the next weight back down near 6reps (295/.75)x.84= 330lbs for next time should be able to get 6reps. Let me explain a little .75 is related to 10RM is about 73% to 75% for most people of 1RM, and .84 is related to 6RM is about 83% to 85% of 1RM for most people.

Ok enough math. Here are some example exercise lists. Its all about maximal recovery for best results and intensity. Not any bodybuilder fluff crap. Everything should go from most muscles involved to least involved and follow above guidlines. I don't usually do warmups on supplemental exercises like curls but thats up to you. Also try to do opposing muscle groups for exercises back to back.

Cycle 1:

Squat

Bench

Pullups (weighted if need be)

Seated Military Press

Straight bar curls (standing)

DB tricep extensions

Abs (take your pick)

Cycle 2

Deadlift

Incline Bench

Heavy chins or Rows

DB shoulder raises (Side)

DB Hammer curls

Lying Tricep extension

Abs

You can change the exercises but I hope you get the idea. That routine got me to 850 squat and 550 bench. The last 200lbs on squats and 150 on bench came in the my last 5 months lifting to give you some idea.

My current cycles due to back issues.

Cycle 1

Bench

Pullups

Standing DB tricep extensions

DB Hammer Curls

Db side shoulder raises

Cycle 2

Incline Bench

Heavy Hammer strength close grip pulldowns

Hammer strength Military Press

Lying Tricep extentions

Standing barbell curls

I hope this helps and let me know if you have questions. Also check my workout logs to see results and timing examples. Have a good time.

- Aaron

That seems like a good and simple program. I like it simple. :cool

Thanks Aaron...looks good!