Acorn's Training Log

acorn

I just got my BBE and BBSE in the mail today. That freakin SE is a brick. Both are flush mounted. I'm looking forward to trying the BBE for negs tonight. Anyone know if your supposed to season the BB grippers too?

- Aaron

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acorn

• lifesnotfair

• FrankyBoy

• bencrush

I season all grippers with the foot stomp method.

Read ..there is a lot of info on seasoning here. When a gripper is new it is stiff from the machining process. Seasoning which is closing it about 120 times more or less gets rid of the metal hardening of that process and allows the gripper to settle into it's true strength. Otherwise the gripper slowly gets easier over time and leads you to believe that you are getting stronger when in reality it is the gripper adjusting to its real strength. It will stay that strength it is after seasoning, it does not continue to weaken..only to a point.

Yesterday was pretty painful. Highlights were I had to reglue the tear on my left middle finger. I used the gel super glue and got a bit of chalk in it before it was completely dry. It held alot better than just the glue this time. Closed the #3 on my first attempt at it with a little more authority actually ground the handles a little. Got a solid 7sec SH on BBSM w/ 5lbs. Tried an NC with the new BBE, Got it to 1/2" before forcing it closed. I was close on the BBSM on the left, but I think the skin pain was limiting me. My hands were totally wasted and raw by the time I was done with grippers. TTK was down a couple pounds from the day before. Also got a chest crush with the new BBSE. That thing is stout. Also did 2x25 red IM bands right and 2x 25 Blue IM bands left and contrast baths. Just got to get thru a couple more training days this week, then I can offload and peak. Gonna hit the gym tonight and do grippers after.

- Aaron

Workout tonight.

Gym

10 minutes treadmill

Bench press

3x185lbs

3x245lbs

7x295lbs no spot

parallel grip pullups

12x BW (BW is 264lbs today)

Seated military Press

3x135lbs

8x175lbs

skipping curls today biceps big enough

Lying tricep press (head bangers)

8x175lbs

Some ab work.

Tomorrow gonna start am cardio 4-6 days a week with Heidi at the gym in an effort to lose some weight before the wedding. Goal is 40lbs before May

Grip work

Some how managed to make it through the workout and that was a feat itself. hand strength was down a little today. But I did finally close the BBSM with my left. Really looking forward to next week. TTK was still down a couple pounds. Thumbs feel pretty beat up. Heidi got me a journal book today so that I can write down all food, exercise. Yay!

- Aaron

Workout tonight.

Gym

10 minutes treadmill

Bench press

3x185lbs

3x245lbs

7x295lbs no spot

parallel grip pullups

12x BW (BW is 264lbs today)

Seated military Press

3x135lbs

8x175lbs

skipping curls today biceps big enough

Lying tricep press (head bangers)

8x175lbs

Some ab work.

Tomorrow gonna start am cardio 4-6 days a week with Heidi at the gym in an effort to lose some weight before the wedding. Goal is 40lbs before May

Grip work

Some how managed to make it through the workout and that was a feat itself. hand strength was down a little today. But I did finally close the BBSM with my left. Really looking forward to next week. TTK was still down a couple pounds. Thumbs feel pretty beat up. Heidi got me a journal book today so that I can write down all food, exercise. Yay!

- Aaron

Good cardio is important on a honeymoon.. ;)

Good job on all that man.. your like a one man gripping/lifting/running machine..

Edited by ObsceneJester

Thanks guys. Funny story, last night when I went to do the head bangers I worked in with a guy that was getting ready to bench. I loaded it up with 175, the guy is expecting me to bench it and Instead I pick it up and put it in front of the bench, lay down and do a pullover with it then proceed with my set. When I got up I did a one hand pull with it to my chest then put it back on the bench. I looked over at the guy and he had gone kind of pale and basically I think was a bit afraid of me. He didn't even want to bench any more after that. I had to persuade him over a a minute or 2 that I was done and I wasn't gonna do anything else crazy with the weights. It was a little humerous. Oh yea and cardio this morning sucked, I hate cardio.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Last day of week 8 KTA. Did a bunch today 16 singles per hand. Nothing spectacular, strength felt down. Got within maybe 1mm on #3 RT and same with BBSM left. It seemed to be like that with most of the grippers I picked up today. Tried a NC with the new BBSE at the end of the workout, lol opened my hand right up. Left thumb still feels a bit damaged prolly hyperextended a few days ago. Also spent yesterday afternoon cutting up a storm downed tree w/chainsaw. I tried the first rep on TTK left hand called it quits for that However the only bright spot today was a huge PR on TTK RT. changed style from trying to set hand on TTK w/thumb on top to, walk up without set and just explosively pinch full range, thumb still on top. I don't feel any cheat pressure this way, going right from the side. I got 18lbs 1oz with my right. I probably could have gone higher but didn't want to push it thats a 1lb PR and thumbs have been injured/sore for a few days. 20lbs not too far away.

- Aaron

In week 9 KTA. Had a decent workout earlier in the week with some #3 closes. I tried a little while ago for today's and it was looking to be pretty wimpy so I halted it at 1st GG attempt. I will try again later after weight workout. I did a little bending instead.

1 IM green nail Tommy Heslep style arms extended

1 3/16x6" sq HRS Tommy Heslep Style

1 IM Yellow Tommy Heslep style

1 IM Blue THS attempt, kink only a couple pennies high.

1 1/4x5" Gr 2 bolt DO

1 60D cut to 5 3/4" DO PR

1 1/4x6" Gr 5 bolt DO PR My first successful Gr5 bend.

Looking forward to doing some bending again and getting more consistent with my #3. After KTA I think I might focus gripper related work on LS or NS to get better with that.

- Aaron

Cardio this morn and almost every morning now. :(

Gym tonight

showed the grippers to the personal trainers here at Golds, everyone wanted to try them. All the guys closed the Trainer, and 2 or 3 closed the #1, Nobody got my filed #1.5 BBSA or higher closed. The biggest guy tried to do chest crushes with the new BBE without any success, So I showed him how it was done with the new BBSE popping off a few quick reps. I think they may want me to do some exhibition stuff at one of their wellness fairs in the future. Might be fun to do some phone book tearing and bending for an audience.

Bench

3x225lb

3x275lb

4x315lb

pullups

14xBW (262lbs)

seated Military Press

6x185lbs (got about halfway on the 7th)

didn't feel particularly like doing any Supplemental stuff so I didn't

Grippers

Week 9 KTA still

Got a couple of GG closes with the #3. Not very consistent yet with it. Also had a pretty decent NC with the new BBE. I was able to close it to about 1/2" or less the on the Neg hold it at about 1/4". I sure would like to close the BBE it has a nice feel and very consistent action, doesn't seem to load up all at once. I have decided not to season the new grippers just let them do their thing. Also was very happy to get a good 7sec SH w/ the BBSM and 5lbs at the end and a full 15sec OC w/ the BBSM as well at the end. Did TTK when I got home, nothing spectacular and some light LWC: 10x6lb ext, 10x16lb Flex. I just finished contrast baths time for bed.

- Aaron

BBSA you rate a 1.5 ? Maybe I ought to get one. I'm closing my #1 with my right hand now, but the #2 feels very hard (3/4" or so at best).

BBSA you rate a 1.5 ? Maybe I ought to get one. I'm closing my #1 with my right hand now, but the #2 feels very hard (3/4" or so at best).

Well actually mine was a little more than a #1 until I filed it heavily. It was only a few pounds heavier on the bath scale. Now its about half way between the #1 and #2 I have when I check the tension on the bat scale.

- Aaron

I see. I kinda want a gripper between the 1 and the 2, and, as embarassing as it sounds, one between the T and the #1 for my left hand.

How's your weight loss going?

I see. I kinda want a gripper between the 1 and the 2, and, as embarassing as it sounds, one between the T and the #1 for my left hand.

How's your weight loss going?

Thanks for asking, yesterday morning I was 260.0 on the digital scale at the gym with shorts and socks. I think thats about 2 pounds. I need to work on pre-making meals to take to work. I wonder if some of the HG stuff or some of the BeefBuilders would work. There is a decent list of the comparative ratings pinned somewhere on the site

- Aaron

I broke the KTA rules today and did some pinch and bending.

pinch

IM hublift best was:

1x35lb+olympic loading pin RT

1x32.5lbs + Pin LT

Best with Homemade Pinch block 2x8 wood

1x45lbs+ Pin each hand.

Bending

1x1/4"x5.5" Gr2 bolt HKT

1x1/4"x5" Gr2 Bolt D

1x1/4"x6" Gr5 bolt (had to cheat kink a little.) (has a J on the head)

1x1/4"x6" Gr5 bolt (no cheat Kink DO in under 2 minutes. Got it down to 1.5". Should have taped it.) PR

Bending form got better on the last gr5 bolt. I have been having the hardest time getting these started but I'm starting to get an idea where I need to be. Looking forward to getting more consistent on the 6" gr5 and start working down. I think my crush down is strong enough to do much bigger bars if I can ever get my kink form to hook up. Also put in an order for an FBBC advanced benders bag today. I hope John emails me back soon. :whistel

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Nice bending.. how is that peaking phase going?

Oh one more question.. on Week 4 are we suppose to increase the singles we are going by 10-15 more?

Oh one more question.. on Week 4 are we suppose to increase the singles we are going by 10-15 more?

yea for the week, so like an average of 2 or 3 more a day. At least the way I understand it. Peaking phase is going, strength has been up and down a bit more than expected. I just need to get stronger so I can consistently close the #3.

Aaron

Week 10 KTA.

Got about 5 good solid closes with my BBSM on the LT PR

Also got a couple of good closes on the #3 on the RT. However the RT felt a bit weak overall.

Did a bunch of bending too over the weekend.

4.5" G2 bolt, 4x6" g5 bolts

- Aaron

yea for the week, so like an average of 2 or 3 more a day. At least the way I understand it. Peaking phase is going, strength has been up and down a bit more than expected. I just need to get stronger so I can consistently close the #3.

Aaron

That will happen in the following week!! Good job Aaron!

Week 10 KTA

Today was for sure the strongest workout yet.

Highlights were

7 of 8 singles closed with the #3 on RT and one miss by a hair PR

5 of 8 singles closed with the BBSM on LT and 3 misses by 1/16 to 1/8th PR

1st NC with new BBE was able to hold at 1/4 for about 5sec on RT (this pretty much wasted my grip for the rest of the session) PR

2nd NC BBE was pretty painful, Kinda just opened right up.

SH w/7.5lbs on BBSM w/RT after that killer NC PR

OC w/ HG300 15sec PR

The first close today w/ GG #3 felt like the BBSM, it just slammed shut. Felt awesome. KTA :rock

- Aaron

I ordered a Advanced Benders Bag from FBBC. According to John it should be here about Monday. Which is about the time I will be done with KTA. Muhwahaha :rock . Then on next Friday I'm headed up to Oregon for a few days to visit some old friends. I will be in Nehalem about 1.5hrs west of Portland.

Offday from grip today Gym tonight. I'm feeling last nights grip workout. Good thing I did contrast baths last night. I also did a little bending after KTA last night. I did a blue that I thought was some misc HRS I had on my bench and it was like butter. When I found it was a blue I would have to say that was the easiest one yet. Then did a 6" gr5 that had a small kink in it from an attempt a few weeks ago and it went pretty quickly too. 5 - 6" is about my sweet spot right now. Next I cut down a piece of 5/16" PL HRS I had to 6.5" to take a try at it. I only put a little wobble in it and popped myself in the eye, lol. I still can't quite get into a strong position yet with stock that Long. I will keep working on it. I think if I can get it past 20deg I can crush it down.

- Aaron

Week 10 KTA

Today was for sure the strongest workout yet.

Highlights were

7 of 8 singles closed with the #3 on RT and one miss by a hair PR

5 of 8 singles closed with the BBSM on LT and 3 misses by 1/16 to 1/8th PR

1st NC with new BBE was able to hold at 1/4 for about 5sec on RT (this pretty much wasted my grip for the rest of the session) PR

2nd NC BBE was pretty painful, Kinda just opened right up.

SH w/7.5lbs on BBSM w/RT after that killer NC PR

OC w/ HG300 15sec PR

The first close today w/ GG #3 felt like the BBSM, it just slammed shut. Felt awesome. KTA :rock

- Aaron

Great PR's Aaron!! I knew you would close the 3 on KTA. Get a video and then get in line for the MMO cert, you will need a witness also.

Again Great job!!