John's Grip Journal

Vice

Hmmm its been almost a year since the last post. Guess I should start gripping again. :rock

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vice

• bencrush

• pdoire

• madknight

Top Posters In This Topic

First time touching grippers and steel in almost a year:

#1- closed

#2- closed

SM- closed

2.5" GM- 1/16", 1/8", 1/16"

Bending-

FBBC square 6"x1/4" - 3 successful bends to warm up

60D kinked to 30- bent

Blue nail- Fail. And again.

Damn I'm weak. Gotta start training again. Just ordered some custom grippers from Warren, I seemed to have lost a lot of mine.

Its good to be back.

Edited by Vice

For taking a year off your still strong with the grippers! Are you warming up with 3/16" or 1/4" FBBC square?

Thanks Gerry, and that was a typo it was 3/16" square. I wish I was warming up with 1/4" square lol.

• 1 year later...

Well hello again. It's good to be back.

It's been 2 years since I've touched a gripper or bent some steel. Unfortunately I've moved and all I have here is a #1 and no steel at all! Just had my parent send a bunch of stuff down to me and I ordered some steel from FBBC. Let's get started.

Hope everyone is doing good, not sure if many of you guys remember me but I still see a lot of familiar names on here.

Got some grippers in the mail today that my Mom sent me, unfortunately I still don't have any steel to bend but I did my first grip workout in a couple of years. The great thing with hands (or at least mine), is that they seem to retain a good amount of strength even when I take long layoffs. I had a pretty good workout today warming up with the #1 and doing a couple of overcrushes with my left and right hand. Then I tried my #2 and was able to close it right handed and get it to about 1/16" left handed. After this I did some negatives and attempted closes on my 240N which is a beast, almost as tough as my #3. I wasn't anywhere near closing this but got some good negatives in. I would guess I was about 3/4" or more from closing it but didn't measure.

Going out to buy a sledge and bolt cutters to get ready for when the steel gets here. All I ordered was some 3/16" round and square to ease back into it. I want to hit all three styles equally and am looking forward to hitting some big bends in the future.

Edited by Vice

I purchased a sledge hammer a couple of days ago and have been working with that a little to get ready for bending. Also bought a few 60d hot rolled galvanized timber ties that were 6" long. Haven't received any other steel yet so these were my first attempts at bending in quite some time. Managed to bend one DO which felt really good. My technique isn't the best right now I'm sure. I also cut one down to 5" and have been working on that using all three styles over the past couple of days. After putting a slight bend in it yesterday I added to the bend about 20 more degrees today but still couldn't finish it off. It was interesting trying reverse bending as I don't think I ever bent like that previously. I finished the workout off with some more levering and some chest crushes.

Does anyone have any solid routines to progress quickly with levering? I've been primarily doing set of 3-4 reps with the occasional single. I've been working front and reverse levers and have also thrown in a few rotations as well. Any suggestions?

Good to see you back on here man! I got your PM and I'll give you a nice long response sometime this weekend. Have a new job and it's taking most of my days.

Good to see you back on here man! I got your PM and I'll give you a nice long response sometime this weekend. Have a new job and it's taking most of my days.

Thanks Ben!

It's great to be back and have no pain in my hands again. Unfortunately no bending tonight as I don't have any steel to bend. I have a bunch coming my way and I'm going to pick up a bunch of the 60d spiral nails this weekend from Home Depot. I did have a good workout in the gym tonight even though I'm weak, and I finished it off with some levering at home. That's about all for today and I think I'm gonna take tomorrow off completely. Hopefully by next week I'll have some good variety of steel and can really start at it again.

Had a good workout today. Took the last couple of days off due to some pain in the palm of my left hand and wanted to let it heal up some. It's where the end of the steel is on my palm during crushdowns so I decided to do some DU and reverse today and not do any crushdown but I actually gave in and did finish off one piece of steel with a crushdown. The rest of the workout was just the initial part of the bend.

6" 60d spiral - DU and reverse to about 90 degrees on each one.

5.5" 60d spiral - DU and reverse to about 80 degrees on each one. I did two of these DU and two of them reverse.

Also did some sledge after and strictly overhead levered 210ip to my head and back, the best lever I've made so far since coming back although quite a bit below where I used to be. Also worked some front, rear and rotations.

Getting a bunch of steel tomorrow and hopefully some from FBBC in the next few days as well. Going to order some 1/4" stainless too just to see what it feels like. I think I will also make a short term goal involving some of that stainless.

Finally got some new steel in the mail!

I bought some 7/32" 12L14 cold rolled, and some 1/4" 1018 cold rolled steel. I started off with the 7/32" 12L14 to see how it measured up. From reading on here I had an idea that it would be slightly easier than its 1018 counterpart and slightly easier than the 1/4" FBBC and IM stock. Of course it was also only .219" in diameter so that made it even easier. Not sure how it measures up but maybe similar to 3/16" square stock?

I started off with a 7" piece of this and bent it

then a 6.5"

then a 6"

then a 5.5"

then a 5"

then a 4.75"

The last one was tough. Then I worked on some of the spiral 60ds. These are a little tougher.

Started off with a 6"

then a 5.5"

then a 4.75" which was close to my max.

So I was feeling good and finished off a 6.5" yellow that I had kinked to about 20 degrees earlier. Then to finish off the workout I bent a 6 3/8" yellow and it felt great. All of this was DO tonight. Did some sledge as well but wasn't able to do much, maybe because I worked forearms in the gym tonight? Not sure but overall feeling great.

Nice bending!

Thanks Ben it feels good to be back. I just sent off some of the new crs to Eric to see what it calibrates at and I have some stainless coming tomorrow as well. Once I have some stuff calibrated I'm going to set up some short term goals to hit.

Good workout !

Thanks lone Wolf! Always appreciate the replies it helps keep me motivated.

Today I did some DU and reverse bending. Today was not a gym day so I did some light cardio before bending but that apparently was not enough as I felt pretty weak toward the end of the session. I tried to do some pushups to warmup but had some elbow pain already and that just wasn't happening, I also forgot to do some sledge to warm up my wrists.

Started off with some .219" 12L14 crs and bent 7,6.5,6, and 5.5" pieces DU and reverse. Then bent a 60d spiral DU and reverse but struggled with a 5.5" 60d spiral using either style. Crazy because I was successful in both of these bends a few days ago but I think that was also after a solid gym workout. I just need to get my elbow healthy and find out what works best for me in terms of warming up to give great bending sessions. DO session will be in the next few days so I'm hoping I'm feeling strong for that.

Had a good bending session today. It was all DO.

Warmed up with a little cardio and stretching, then did some light sledge stuff to get my wrists and arms warmed up.

I wanted to increase my volume today and that's exactly what I did. I started off with some easy .219" 12L14 crs.

6.5"

6"

5.5"

5"x3

Bent all of these and then moved onto the 60d spirals.

5.5"

5.25"

After this I wanted to go for a PR so I started to work my way down the yellow nails.

6.5"x2

6.25"

6"

Last workout I bent a 6 3/8" yellow and knew I had more in me so the 6.25" didn't really feel like a PR, so I decided to cut it down to 6" and bend my first blue since coming back... and I nailed it. Feeling good here, now I need to eat, rest and repeat.

DO tonight.

12L14 x 6.25”

60d spiral x 5.75

60d spiral x 5.38

6.5" Yellow x2

Blue x2

After this tiring workout I tried some stainless for the first time ever.

Bent a 7" piece to completion but damn it was tough. I was a little tired and my technique was a little off all night but I got the stainless bent. Probably won't be messing with that again for a couple of weeks.

Worked DU and reverse today:

Started off with some 3/16" square steel that I got from FBBC yesterday. Took that down DU and reverse easily and finished them off DO. Next I took down 6" square DU and reverse. At this point I was fired up and I wanted to take down another piece of stainless DO so I cut a 6.75" piece to give it a small step up from the one I bent on Monday. Took it down to just under 2" but it was a tough bend and the crush was killer. I then wanted to try the 1018 crs that I purchased. Eric was kind enough to calibrate some for me along with the yellow and blue nails that I have. The 1018 crs cal'd much higher than the IM stock and much higher than the FBBC stock pinned in the bending section. The 6.25" piece should cal at around 320 pounds and I finished it off in about 20 seconds which felt great. The stainless should calibrate slightly tougher than the crs, and on the crushdown it's certainly much tougher. Should know what the stainless comes in at soon and I can't wait to see how it compares.

After that I finished off a 5.5" square DU and reverse and then a 5" square DU and reverse. Even after that I could not do anything to a yellow nail which seems strange since I was able to take down a 3/16" square at 5". Maybe my technique is just bad. On a good note, my technique on DO bending appears to be better than it was a few years ago when I was bending. I can handle the 6-7" steel fairly well this time around which is encouraging.

Edited by Vice

Had a longer DO session today.

Warmed up with a 7/32" 12L14 crs piece at 6.25".

Then 3/16" square as I was out of the spiral 60s. Did 5.5"x2 then a 5.25".

Next came yellow nails. Did two yellows, then cut some down and bent three 6.5" yellows.

One was bent to about 30 degrees reverse style :rock: I couldn't even seem to kink a regular yellow a couple of days ago reverse so this was awesome. I finished if off DO. I also got a small kink in a 6.5" yellow DU, whereas I couldn't kink a regular a couple days ago like this either. I don't think my technique is the best on my reverse bends but I was still very happy. It was also about 1" off center :blush I am used to having my hands as far out on the ends as possible but maybe the fulcrum should be in the middle of the nail on reverse bends? Can anyone clarify that? Being so far off center made it tough to finish off.

After all this I cut down an piece of my 1018 crs that cal'd much tougher than my IM 1/4" stock. Cut one down to 6 1/8" and bent it to completion in about 25 seconds. This is a PR but I still had more in the tank. Slow and steady is my plan this time around.

Good steady work man. You'll get where you want to go.

Thanks Ben, I've got my eye on the red nail. I wanna take it down within the next few months. It's hard not to go for a PR bend every session but I'm trying to hold back and be smart and train like I would on any other exercise. Although after a few more weeks I'm sure I'll need a big max bend session to keep myself sane.

Did some sledge work today. Numbers are in inch-pounds of torque. Cant wait to bend tomorrow.

Front weaver stick lift (I think)- 100/115/135/145

Weaver stick lift- 120/135/150/165

Overhead lever- 145x4/155x4/170x4/185x4

Rotations- 85x4/90x4/95x4

Had a good end to my bending session today. Today was another DO day but my technique was off, I couldn't get high under my chin even leaning back, not sure if all the bench press yesterday tightened me up but I didn't have much flexibility.

I started off with some warm up bends then couldn't even kink a 7"x1/4" crs :laugh It was pretty ridiculous. So I went reverse on it and took it to about 60 degrees then destroyed it DO after that. I tried another piece at 7" and had to do the same thing. After those bends I wanted to see how it went on the shorter stuff so I went for some PR's. First I took down a 6"x1/4" crs that cal'ed at 355 pounds. I got this from start to finish all DO, so apparently form was better on the shorter stuff. After that I cut a blue nail down to 5 3/8" and got that DO as well :rock: After this I wrapped up another blue and reversed it to about 50 degrees a new PR for reverse as well. :rock: Also bent 2 green nails taped together, that was my first time trying two at once, it was pretty cool. My hands hurt like crazy so now it's time to relax. I think I'm gonna order some red nails soon. If I can get a kink in it somehow I think I can finish it off. My sweep and crushdown feel strong. I need some more flexibility first though.

Edited by Vice

I was feeling strong yesterday and destroyed a 5" blue nail :rock:

I just ordered some 9/32" stainless, a bunch of 5/16" crs and stainless and some 11/32" O-1 drill rod to use for isos. Not sure if I'll be able to move any of it right off but I'm feeling confident and ready to see where I stand.

Today I had a DU session, I wanted to do some reverse as well but my hands are a little sore from the hard reverse bends I did a couple of days ago so just went DU today. I haven't been able to do any damage to a yellow nail DU since I started bending again but today I decided it was time to step up my game. I warmed up with some 3/16" square that I took past 90 degrees at 7", 6", 5.5". Then it was time to kick some ass. I took a yellow to about 75 degrees in 2 long hard hits and my wrists felt like they were about to break. Then I cut a yellow down to 6.75" and smoked that one in 2 long hard hits as well. My fingers hurt like crazy right now so I need to rest up so I can destroy some steel DO on Friday :rock: :rock: