John's Grip Journal

Vice

The first PR was FINALLY closing the HG300!!!!

Congrats...great job, John!!!

3 is around the corner now!!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vice

• bencrush

• pdoire

• madknight

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job on the HG300 !! As for your Blob 32.5, you're starting to dominate it, so you may wish to microload higher, starting by taping a 1.25 lb plate to the bottom.

Off course, if you have a Blob35, then all the better for you to progress into it.

.. neilkaz ..

Thanks guys! Its very gratifying to see all of the hard work pay off. :D

Yes, I will start to microload now that I can DL the 32.5'er consistantly. I have some washers that weigh 14 ounces, so I'm gonna tape one of those to the bottom and see what I can do.

8-24-05

Not a whole lot of structure to this workout, just went with the flow. Starting a modified version of the high volume routine on Saturday.

#1x1

TNS filed #2- 1/4"

TNS Narrow HG300- Closed

HG 200- 16 reps LH/12 reps RH

Filed #2- 4 reps LH/3 reps RH

Normal HG300- Closed LH/ 1/32" RH

#3 choked to 3/8"- 2 reps LH/1 rep RH

TTK- 15#x12/15#x12

Extensors- Green to failure

Just wanted to take it easy today. The next two days will be active recovery and my new program starts on Saturday.

Nice workout, Vice. I look forward to reading about your training and progress with the mod. HV program.

.. neilkaz ..

Disclaimer: If you do not believe in scientific and complex grip routines, read no further. This will probably trip you out.

*Drumroll* ........... Ok, here it is...

Here's an outline of my new 4 week program. It's a modified version of Greg and Dave's High Volume Routine. If you're unfamiliar with this routine, it can be found here: High Volume Routine

The main difference between my program and Greg's is how the periodization is setup. Greg's routine is a linear periodization, whereas my routine is a non-linear periodization. Heres an example of what I mean:

Here is an outline of Greg's routine: Intensity increases each week, while volume consequently decreases each week. 1 equals the lowest and 4 equals the highest. In the first week, the easiest gripper is used, and consequently volume is the highest. Every week a more difficult gripper is used, and less reps are possible because of this. This is how linear periodization works. Intensity is inversely related to volume. I will show just the first 4 weeks of this program, so it can be properly compared to my 4 week program.

Intensity- 1 2 3 4

Volume- 4 3 2 1

Now here is how my program will look:

Intensity- 3 2 4 1

Volume- 2 4 3 1

Instead of intensity being inversely related to volume, I will wave them independently. In order to change the volume independently, I will be changing the # of sets I use from week to week. For example, during the 3rd week I will be using the most difficult gripper, however, my volume will be higher than it is during the 1st week. Obviously, I won't be able to do more reps during the 3rd week because I'm using a more difficult gripper, so I will increase the # of sets that I do, to increase the volume. The last week of the program will be a backdown week to allow my hands to supercompensate for the torture I just put them through. This is where my recovery ability will increase, as well as my GPP and absolute strength.... hopefully.

So thats the program in a nutshell. I'm keeping it short for a number of reasons. The first reason is that, to my knowledge, a program like this has never been used with grippers, and I have no idea if it will work. Therefore, I'm keeping it short because if it doesn't work, its only 4 weeks out of my life. Also, I turn 21 during the last week of this program. That means I'm going to be drunk a lot during the last week, so I decided I would make it my backdown week because I wont be sober enough to handle a really intense week with the grippers.

I'd like to thank Greg Amidon and Jack Reape for their contributions. Without them this program would not exist. I'd also like to thank anyone crazy enough to read this entire post. I tried to keep it concise. Honestly.

Edited by Vice

Here are a few posts from the other board that should help me stay organized.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the grippers I'm planning on using.

Week 1- Filed HG200 (About a 1.5)

Week 2- #1

Week 3- Filed #2 (About a 2.2)

Week 4- Trainer

It should be interesting to see if there is any difference in results between this format and the original.

I'll be going 5 days on and 2 days off each week. The intensity will not change from day to day, only week to week. Each day however, I'll be trying to get more reps than I did on the previous day, in the same amount of sets.

The final week will be a rest and recover week where I do only a few sets with the Trainer each day to let my hands recover and supercompensate. Then I will take a day or two off and have a test day and see how much my strength has improved.

Edited by Vice

8-27-05

Today was the first day of the new program. It was also a test day. I couldnt get the hose clamp off of my #3, so I maxed out on my Narrow Elite instead. I also had a go at the HG300.

Narrow Elite- 3/8" PR!

HG300- Closed, couldnt get a 2nd rep.

So at the start of the program I can get 1 rep on the HG300 and I can get my Narrow Elite to 3/8". After the 4 weeks I will retest to see what kind of strength gains I've made. Since my #3 is similar in strength to my Narrow Elite, I will be opening up each rep between 1/4"-3/8" so that I work the ROM where I'm stuck.

This week I'll be using my Filed HG200:

RH- 23,24,20,25,26 = 118 reps

LH- 27,22,21,26,23 = 119 reps

Wow! My hands hurt in ways I've never experienced before, but it feels awesome. I also very happy with how many reps I did. Finished off with contrast baths. Feelin good. :cool

Phew,

well I WAS crazy enough to read your entire post. :D

Very nice, I like it.

I on my own like 'playing' with the parameters intensity and volume also, even though I only have followed Gregs program so far.

Will be interesting to see how that modification will work for you.

Keep this log alive, please.

Phew,

well I WAS crazy enough to read your entire post.  :D

Very nice, I like it.

I on my own like 'playing' with the parameters intensity and volume also, even though I only have followed Gregs program so far.

Will be interesting to see how that modification will work for you.

Keep this log alive, please.

Thanks Franky, I'll certainly keep this updated.

8-28-05

Well last night was my first night back at college so I was pretty hungover today during my workout, and I had no motivation to do anything but I did it anyway.

Filed HG200:

RH- 31,27,21,29,19 = 127 reps PR!

LH- 28,28,24,24,17 = 121 reps PR!

Hit a wall on the last set but I still beat my rep totals from yesterday, so all is good. Also worked extensors and finished off with contrast baths.

8-29-05

Filed HG200:

RH- 27,27,27,25,23 = 129 reps PR!

LH- 30,25,21,24,22 = 122 reps PR!

More PR's... barely. Finished off with a set of extensors and a contrast bath.

8-30-05

Filed HG 200:

RH- 34,25,23,18,17 = 117 reps

LH- 28,27,22,22,19 = 118 reps

Not sure what happened on the last couple sets but whatever. Tomorrow is the last day on the HG200, then 2 days of much needed rest.

8-31-05

Well I had a great workout in the gym today. Hit some new PR's on the military press and squats, so I knew today's workout was gonna be a good one, and I was right. Hit some crazy PR's!

Filed HG200:

RH- 38,37,28,25,27 = 155 reps PR!

LH- 32,29,34,29,23 = 147 reps PR!

Then I broke out the TTK and hit some more PR's. :cool

20#x10, 24.2#x5, 24.2#x6 PR!, 25#x6 PR!, 25.9#x5 PR!

Finished off the workout with 2 sets of extensors with the IM Yellows to failure. Now I've got 2 off days. Contrast baths and a protein shake finish it off. Now I've got about 3 hours of microbiology homework to do. :dry

9-03-05

IM #1:

RH- 62,49,42,42,40 = 235 reps

LH- 61,47,45,41,42 = 236 reps

TTK- 17.5#x10, 25.9#x7, 26.8#x6, 27.5#x5 PR! :rock:rock

IM Yellows until failure for 2 sets.

Awesome workout, had some crazy PR's on the TTK again! Can't believe my progress on that thing. My goal of getting 30 pounds for 5 reps by the end of September is looking very possible after today's performance. :D

Edited by Vice

9-04-05

IM #1:

RH- 67,51,52,41,41 = 252 reps PR!

LH- 65,57,54,46,41 = 263 reps PR!

TTK- 17.5#x10, 27.5#x4, 25#x6

Finished off with extensors on IM yellow bands, 2 sets to failure and a contrast bath.

Excellent workouts!!

How do you use the TTK?

Pinch grip (as in plate pinching) or scissors grip (fingers closed)?

Also, are you doing full ROMs?

Excellent workouts!!

How do you use the TTK?

Pinch grip (as in plate pinching) or scissors grip (fingers closed)?

Also, are you doing full ROMs?

Thanks Franky!

Pinch grip on the TTK I believe. I have my thumbs on the top part, and my four fingers of each hand on the bottom part. I'm not opening the TTK all the way up on the eccentric part, but pretty close. The ROM isnt quite full, but almost.

Edited by Vice

9-05-05

Well I had my squat workout today, and then I hit up the grippers... you already know whats coming. PR's everywhere. :rock

IM #1:

RH- 71,59,52,52,52 = 286 reps PR!

LH- 76,63,58,45,53 = 295 reps PR!

Pumped up! Reps keep going up and up, can't wait to see how this carries over to my max. Finished off with 2 sets of IM Yellows to failure and a contrast bath.

9-06-05

IM #1:

RH- 66,59,51,40,54 = 270 reps

LH- 77,63,59,53,47 = 299 reps PR!

Well I ONLY had one PR tonight but im pretty happy with that. I had a couple weak sets that hurt my rep numbers on my right hand, but its all good. I skipped TTK today, but finished off with 3 sets of extensors on the IM Yellows and a contrast bath.

Edited by Vice

9-07-05

IM #1:

RH- 40,73,50,50,41 = 254 reps

LH- 40,78,50,50,40 = 258 reps

My hands hurt like craaaaazy today, and I almost didn't do the workout. I made myself do it since today is the last day, but I didnt go to failure on the 1st or 3rd set because my hands hurt too much to continue. I still managed to get a good rep total and I'm happy I got the workout in. Now for 2 much needed rest days. :cool

I also did 2 sets of extensors, and I did some sledge levering as well. 2 sets of front/rear levers and 2 sets of rotations. Finished off with a contrast bath. I'll be back on Saturday to tango with the filed #2. :rock

9-10-05

Filed #2:

RH- 14,10,8,8,8,6,2 = 56 reps

LH- 14,12,8,7,7,6,3 = 57 reps

Not a bad workout but I'm kinda disappointed because I wasnt able to follow my program exactly how I wanted to today. My volume is supposed to be higher than it was in the 1st week but I wasnt able to pull it off.

Since volume=reps x weight, I needed about 105 reps+ to beat my average volume on week 1 but on the last set I could barely get 2 reps so I called it a day. I'll probably just do as many reps as I can in 7 or 8 sets this week.

TTK- Started a new wave loading program to mix things up.

15#x10, 28.4#x3, 27.5#x4, 26.8#x5, 29.3#x3, 28.4#x4, 27.5#x5

Finished off with 2 sets of extensors with the Yellow IM bands, and a contrast bath.

The volume of todays workout was a little crazy.... an entire week of this might kill me.

9-11-05

Filed #2:

RH- 2,8,6,6,3,2,2,4 = 33 reps

LH- 4,5,7,7,4,3,4,3 = 37 reps

Extensors- Yellow x failure, Blue x failure

Well that sucked, but I was hungover and I didnt go to the gym before my gripper workout so my body wasnt warmed up like usual. Whatever. I'll dominate tomorrow.

9-12-05

Filed #2:

RH- 12,11,8,7,8,6,3,3 = 58 reps PR!

LH- 14,11,9,8,7,6,2,3 = 60 reps PR!

TTK- 28.4#x3, 27.5#x4, 26.8#x5

Sledge- 2 sets of Front/Rear/Rotations

Front- 100ipx6x2

Rear- 128ipx6x2

Rotations- 100ipx5x2

Good workout, but very long. Glad to hit some more PR's.

9-13-05

Filed #2:

RH- 15,12,9,7,8,6,4,3 = 64 reps PR!

LH- 16,13,9,8,8,5,3,4 = 64 reps PR!

Contrast bath to top it all off. Tomorrow (well actually today) is my last day before a couple days off and then my last week of the program before maxing out on the #3!!!

Good work!

Good variation of exercizes!

Great log.

Keep it going!