John's Grip Journal

Vice

Good work!

Good variation of exercizes!

Great log.

Keep it going!

Thanks Franky I really appreciate it.

Today was supposed to be my last day with the Filed #2 but I have a cold so I took the day off. My backdown week begins on Saturday with a few sets each day with the Trainer... then I get to see what kind of progress I've made. I'll be having my max day on the 22nd. I can't wait. :cool

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vice

• bencrush

• pdoire

• madknight

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an early birthday present yesterday, 50 IM white nails and maximized bending. I bent the IM white on my first try pretty easily. Obviously this isn't very impressive but it was my first attempt at bending, so I was pretty happy.

9-17-05

Backdown week begins. 3 sets on the Trainer just to get some blood flowing, I did not go to failure on any set.

RH/LH- 50,50,50

2 sets of extensors with the IM yellows

I will be doing this for a couple more days and then take a day or two off. My max day will be on Thursday. I will see what kind of progress I have made on the grippers and I will also try to set some PR's on the TTK, blob and nail bending. Its also gonna be my 21st birthday, so it should be a lot of fun. :cool

9-19-05

I just did a few heavy singles today to get my hands ready for my max day which will now be in two days on Wednesday. Tomorrow will be an off day, then I will go after the #3 and the Narrow Elite on Wednesday after my leg workout. I'm also going after some PR's on the TTK and the 35# blob.

After working grippers I did some work on the TTK and hit some new PR's:

20#x8, 28.4#x5 PR! , 29.3#x5 PR!

This is the first time I've maxed on the TTK in about 2 weeks and I dominated it. At the beginning of the month I had a mini-goal of getting 5 reps with 30 pounds on the TTK. After today's workout it looks like I will accomplish this goal, because I only have 0.7 pounds to go.

After the awesome PR's on the TTK I tried out my 30# blob which I haven't touched in about 3 weeks. My previous best was a full deadlift and hold for about 5 or 6 seconds. Well today I deadlifted it and held it for 8 seconds with my right hand and 10 seconds with my left hand. :rock Another PR! I really think I'll be deadlifting the 35 pound blob very soon.

Finished the workout with 3 sets of extensors and a contrast bath. Can't wait to max out on Wednesday. :cool

Edited by Vice

I was supposed to have my max day today but it never happened. It will definitely happen tomorrow so stay tuned. And oh yeah, I'm FINALLY 21. :cool

Happy birthday.

So you are a big boy now?

Then go and close some harder grippers now! :tongue

Thanks Franky.

After a crazy couple of days I finally got to max out on some grippers and the TTK. After the 4 week program I made some good progress, nothing amazing but I'm happy with how close I am on the #3.

At the beginning of the program I could get my Narrow Elite down to 3/8". After the 4 week program I can now get it down to 1/4". It's only 1/8" closer but thats pretty solid progress for such a difficult gripper and I'm very happy with that. I also maxed out on the #3, and I also got that down to 1/4" a bunch of times, and maybe even 3/16" on one try. This is the closest I've ever been to closing the #3 so I'm very happy.

I also accomplished my goal on the TTK that I set at the beginning of the month, I got 5 reps on the TTK with 30 pounds on it! :rock

In conclusion, the 4 week non-linear periodization program worked well. I've hit a few new PR's and now its time to start another program.

Narrow Elite- 1/4" PR!

IM #3- 3/16" PR!

TTK- 30#x5 PR!

:rock:rock:rock

9-25-05

After the 4 week program I can finally close and hold my tougher HG300 almost every time. I took a video of myself closing it for the HG cert, however I can't email it to clay because apparently the file is to big, and its also to big for putfile.com. Do I have to compress it or change formats? Any help would be appreciated because I absolutely nailed the HG300 in the video.

I also got 30#x5 reps again today on the TTK. I also fully DL'ed my 30# blob and held it for 13 seconds! Thats another PR and I think I'm finally ready to try the 35# blob once again.

I also hit a bending PR today when I bent the Green nail. This one was somewhat difficult and took me about 15 seconds to do it but it felt great. I can't wait to get some tougher stock, but it might be hard to progress on grippers and bending at the same time, so we'll see what happens.

Finished off with a contrast bath. Note to self- start working extensors again.

9-27-05

Did a little bit of everything today. I'm just going by feel for right now, no rhyme or reason to any of my workouts.

Started off with grippers, did some more max attempts

IM #3- 1/4", 3/16", 1/4", 1/4"

Narrow Elite- 1/4", 1/4", 5/16"

Getting that #3 down to 3/16" feels so good... i can just see myself grinding those handles some time soon. Next I moved on to the TTK.

20#x10, 30#x5, 30.9#x5 PR! I'll have to buy some 10 pound plates because theres no more room on the TTK for anymore weight right now.

More PR's on the TTK.... unreal. :blink

Finished off with some 30# blob lifts and sledge levering.

Front levers- 104ip x5

Rear levers- 132ip x5

Rotations- 104ip x5 RH/ 104ip x4 LH

Finished off with some IM blue bands and a contrast bath. Feelin good. :rock

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been working out much the last couple weeks but I got in a good workout today, especially for taking some time off. I started off with some grippers. Did some singles with the #1, filed #2, HG300, then attempted the #3. I absolutely grinded my HG300 for the first time in my life. Then I just held the handles together for a few seconds in awe. I've closed this gripper quite a few times now, but this was the first time that I just plain killed it. :rock Then I gave my #3 a few good squeezes and got it down to 3/16" on my best attempt.

Next i broke out my 35# blob. I haven't attempted to lift this since I've been at school, which has been about 5 or 6 weeks, but if you been following this log you know that my TTK numbers have been going up, up and up. I chalked up real good and went at it..... to my surprise I fully deadlifted my 35# blob and held it in the air for a couple of seconds!

After those PR's I called it a night.

10-13-05

Warmup: #1x1, filed #2x1

Max attempts: HG300 grinded and held for 5 seconds, brand new RB240N- 1/32" (still needs seasoning) #3- 3/16"

4 sets of overcrushes with the filed #2

Great job with that 3!!!

I want to see OC's with that 2 held for 15 seconds!!!

Done! It took me about 2 months but I held my first overcrush of the workout for 16 seconds! Any more challenges for me Paul?? :laugh

After working crush I DL'ed my 35# blob a couple of times with my left hand, and got it 3/4 of the way up with my right hand.

I finished off with some extensor work and a contrast bath and my hands feel STRONG.

I also reshot my HG300 cert because I can dominate that gripper all of a sudden. I can't seem to email the video so I'm mailing it to Clay tomorrow. Should know within a week if it passes inspection!

Yup!! OC the BBSM or that Hg300 you just closed for ten seconds!!!

Nice job John!!

Edited by pdoire

Yup!! OC the BBSM or that Hg300 you just closed for ten seconds!!!

Nice job John!!

You got it Paul. That will be my next goal! :rock

I'm officially a certified gripper king! My cert video on the HG300 has been approved by Clay. :rock:rock

Congrats John!!!

Maybe start a separate thread!!

Edited by pdoire

• 8 months later...

Wow, it's been a while. After certifying on the HG300 I lost motivation.

I'm officially back training grip, in a friendly competiton with Paul and bunch of others on the other board. The goal gripper is the 330N, and no I'm not even close.

Went after the 330N today and got it down to 13/16" so still miles away, but I'll be logging my progress here and hopefully get some MM certs done along the way.

Edited by Vice

I'm officially back training grip, in a friendly competiton with Paul and bunch of others on the other board. The goal gripper is the 330N, and no I'm not even close.

Went after the 330N today and got it down to 13/16" so still miles away, but I'll be logging my progress here and hopefully get some MM certs done along the way.

good to see you back man, i was wondering where you've been.

• 3 weeks later...

good to see you back man, i was wondering where you've been.

Thanks Brian. I've been lurking from time to time but haven't been working on grip much, although I have been hitting the gym hard.

Update: 330N is down to 11/16". I suspect this is mostly muscle memory but it's still nice to see.

I'm also gonna start pursuing bending in a couple of days, I just can't hold back any longer.

Well, I would have to say that today was probably the best gripper workout of my LIFE. That's right people, I dominated the grippers today.

Warmup- #1x1, #2x1

RH:

HG300- closed

HG300- closed and held for 3 seconds PR!

HG300- closed and held for 3 seconds

Mutant 240N (about a 2.85-2.9) - 1/16"

Mutant 240N- 1/16"

330N- 3/4" (hands getting tired)

COC #1- 8 parallel reps

LH:

HG300- closed

HG300- grinded and held for 3 seconds

HG300- grinded and held for 7 seconds PR!

Mutant 240N- closed PR! First time ever closing this bad boy

Mutant 240N- 1/32"

330N- 11/16" (hands getting tired)

COC #1- 8 parallel reps

Yep best gripper day of my life. Starting to own the HG300 with either hand now. Just plain grinding it with my left hand. Closed my crazy hard 240N for the first time in my life today, but missed it by a hair on my 2nd attempt.

Also did some extensor work with the IM blue bands. Did some TTK work, and also upped my IP's on the sledge today. Glad to finally see some progress. :rock

Another strong workout today. Overcrushed my HG300 for 11 seconds on my best attempt. Followed this up with some more OC's and negatives with the ISG. I can't wait to close the #3.

Also did some thumb and extensor work. I also just started to take bending more seriously so I'll be posting my workout once I can bend more than pipe cleaners.

Had a good workout today.

Warmed up with:

#1x3

HG200x1

Overcrush on HG300 x3 (absolutely owning this gripper now)

Closed my RB240N twice w/left hand, including my first time ever slamming the handles shut, which is a huge PR. Now I need to start closing this consistently with a smaller set.

Attempted to close my #3 but for some reason I'm not getting this any closer even though I'm killing my HG300 and closing my crazy hard 240N. I think my close is stronger than my sweep from all the overcrushes I've been doing. Must start working negatives more often and do some isometrics at my sticking point. Once I'm owning the 240N I will change my workout to focus solely on closing the #3.

Also had a bending PR today by bending a bar calibrated at 185 pounds. Nothing impressive but I gotta start somewhere. For anyone not up to date on their CRS calibrations 185 pounds is the midway point between the green and yellow nail. My wrists are weak, what can I say.

You can do 30lbs on the TTK, yet you can only lift the 30 lbs blob? Man, it kills me to read this sort of thing! I can do about 10lbs max for 5 reps with my RH on the TTK... does that mean I could only lift about a 10lbs blob? That would be so darn embarassing. I did 30lbs on IM's pinch block (plus weight of block which is like 5 lbs). I thought I could at least lift a blob of 20lbs, but now I don't know!

You can do 30lbs on the TTK, yet you can only lift the 30 lbs blob? Man, it kills me to read this sort of thing! I can do about 10lbs max for 5 reps with my RH on the TTK... does that mean I could only lift about a 10lbs blob? That would be so darn embarassing. I did 30lbs on IM's pinch block (plus weight of block which is like 5 lbs). I thought I could at least lift a blob of 20lbs, but now I don't know!

Actually I can lift the 35 pound blob now. :cool But have no fear, my TTK numbers are with BOTH hands. Judging by your one handed totals I'm sure you could lift a 25lb blob without much problem, assuming you have some chalk to provide some extra grip.

Lol, you're welcome.

Tried doing some crush today but I wasn't on my game so I tried doing some bending and after I melted some greens I went after the yellow but once again that f##### thing would barely move. So I decided to lever like crazy.

I set some PR's today in levering. And yes I know, it's hard to believe these are actually PR's.

Overhead front lever:

112x5

128x5

144x3

152x3 <-- Not quite to failure since I didn't want to break my nose.

Rear lever:

112x5

128x5

144x3

152x3 <-- To failure

Rotations:

104x5

112x3

120x3