John's Grip Journal

Vice

John have you considered moving to the #2 for you OC's..you seem strong enough? Even if the hold time is a lot less you build from there..you are doing a warmup with one??

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vice

• bencrush

• pdoire

• madknight

Top Posters In This Topic

John have you considered moving to the #2 for you OC's..you seem strong enough? Even if the hold time is a lot less you build from there..you are doing a warmup with one??

Yes, I plan on making the switch very soon. I've got a hose clamp through the spring of my Super Advanced, and its tightened almost as much as it can go, so between that and the filed handle its just a little under my #2. But I'll definitely be switching to my filed #2 within the next week or so.

8-6-05

Warmup: #1x1, filed #2x1

Work Sets:

6 sets of overcrushes with the filed SA

6 sets of painfully slow negatives with the narrow elite

2 sets of extensors- yellowx25/bluex10

Finished off with contrast baths.

After a weak warmup where the filed #2 was barely closed, my hands warmed up quickly and the overcrushes felt easy. I'm gonna tighten the hose clamp another turn on monday and start using my filed #2 for OC's the week after. My hands hurt like crazy today and skin is missing everywhere, luckily tomorrow is an off day because my hands need it. Hopefully I shut the HG300 on monday.

Going to do some blob and sledge work tonight. :D

Well I decided to take the night off because I'm exhausted even though I slept for 9 hours last night. I'm guessing the 5 days of working out in the gym and 5 days of hardcore crush and thumb work has me a little overtrained possibly? I'm gonna let my body rest and recover tonight and tomorrow and get back on the grind on monday.

On a good note, I found my narrow BB Grandmaster which I thought was lost forever! This is an awesome gripper that I got from Austin Slater and I can't wait to oil it up and see what I can do. I believe its right between my HG300 and #3 so it should be a good stepping stone.

It's great to find a lost gripper...think your right about the rating..depends on spread of Hg and seasoning of GM..could be almost the same.

8-8-05

Test: HG300- 1/16" with either hand PR! :rock

Narrow GM- 1/32" with either hand, looks like with some oiling this gripper will be slightly easier than the HG300.

Work Sets:

7 sets of overcrushes with the Filed SA (tightened the hose clamp another turn)

7 set of negatives with the narrow Elite

2 sets of extensors, greenx25/yellowx20

3 sets of TTK- 15#x10/20#x8/22.5#x4

3 full deadlifts with 32.5# blob, getting consistant with both hands, so thats a PR!

A couple PR's and a contrast bath make for a good workout. I'm switching over to negative crushes tomorrow and starting a backdown/peaking phase next week. I want to finish up this modified KTA cycle within the next 2 weeks because I have some ideas I want to try out with my routine.

8-9-05

I decided to increase intensity and drop the volume, I switched to my filed #2 for overcrushes and switched over to negative crushes with the Elite.

Work Sets:

4 sets of overcrushes with filed #2 (couldnt close it on my last set)

4 sets of negative crushes with narrow Elite

2 sets of extensors greenx30/yellowx25

Lately I've had a pain in my left arm all the way up to where my shoulder meets my chest, and I just ripped off some more skin from my palm today so I may just take a couple of days off to let my hands rest and recover, then drop into a backdown week. The drop in volume today didn't help as much as I was hoping. I think I'm ripping off skin because of the sheer pressure of the handle pushing into my skin. A backdown week with some easier grippers should help.

After grippers I did some sledge work:

Front levers- 96ip for 5 reps x 2 sets

Rear levers- 120ip for 5 reps x 2 sets

Rotaations- 96ip for 5 reps x 2 sets

Finished off with a contrast bath.

8-10-05

I decided to use the ISG for my workout today to let my hands heal.

5 sets of overcrushes at setting 8,4

5 sets of negative crushes at setting 11,8

2 sets of extensors- greenx25/yellowx20

5 sets of TTK- 15#x10/20#x9/22.5#x4/22.5#x5/22.5#x5 PR!

Finished off with contrast baths, and I'm very happy that my thumb strength keeps going up. :rock Tomorrow is an off day.

Arm pain up to your shoulder? Wow. Where did that come from? Massively tensing everything while gripping? I get sore biceps from gripping that way sometimes, and a kink in my neck.

Arm pain up to your shoulder?  Wow.  Where did that come from?  Massively tensing everything while gripping?  I get sore biceps from gripping that way sometimes, and a kink in my neck.

I, too, sometimes get a kink up my neck. It sucks and is bothersome.

Sometimes My neck hurts too ...along with my tri's just above the elbow and the tops of my forearms...sucks, but par for the course!

Yes, I usually feel it when I set the gripper with my left hand. I tense up my whole arm right before and during the set. After a few tough sets I start to feel a little pain in my arm but working my extensors usually helps take the pain away.

8-12-05

Did another workout on the ISG while my hand heals.

Warmup: 7,3x1 8,3x1

Work Sets:

4 sets of overcrushes on setting 8,4

4 sets of negative crushes on setting 11,8

1 set of extensors- whitex30

My left wrist hurts today so I dropped the volume a bit and tried to do a little rehab with the white IM band. I'm taking satruday and sunday off to let my hands and wrists heal, then I'm starting a backdown week followed by a peaking week. After the peaking week I will be starting a new program. Stay tuned... :cool

8-12-05

Did another workout on the ISG while my hand heals. 

Warmup: 7,3x1 8,3x1

Work Sets:

4 sets of overcrushes on setting 8,4

4 sets of negative crushes on setting 11,8

1 set of extensors- whitex30

My left wrist hurts today so I dropped the volume a bit and tried to do a little rehab with the white IM band.  I'm taking satruday and sunday off to let my hands and wrists heal, then I'm starting a backdown week followed by a peaking week.  After the peaking week I will be starting a new program.  Stay tuned... :cool

Can't wait to see the new program your planning and like the work with the ISG, I like it for negs also

This week is backdown week. I expect to make good gains while my body rests and supercompensates for the last 3 weeks of OC's and Negatives.

Max Attempt: 3 attempts on the HG300- 1/32", 1/16", 1/32" but possibly closed?? :rock Tough to tell but either way I was pretty happy. I will absolutely nail this gripper after this week.

I also placed my #3 in a choker at 5/16" and closed it for 3 reps! Then I read Ben's post about his fiancee closing the #3 that was in a choker at 3/16", so now I'm not sure what to think. :unsure

Work Sets:

2 Overcrushes with the filed #2 for 8 seconds each

1 Smooth out negative with the Narrow Elite

1 Set of extensors- Yellowx25

Finished off with a few DL's of a 32.5# blob and a contrast bath.

One more note: Setting the Narrow Elite felt a little easier today. Hopefully this wasn't a fluke and I'll be able to set my #3 more easily in the future.

Great job with that 3!!!

I want to see OC's with that 2 held for 15 seconds!!!

Great job with that 3!!!

I want to see OC's with that 2 held for 15 seconds!!!

15 seconds huh? That will be my goal for tomorrow. :rock

8-16-05

Work Sets:

3 attempts on the HG300- 1/64", 1/32", 1/64" :rock Not sure if it was really 1/64" but basically all 3 attempts were as close as possible, without actually closing the thing. Probably the thickness of a couple pieces of paper, maybe even less. Might have shut it on any of those attempts but it was tough to tell. I also opened up my #3 to 3/8" in a hose clamp and closed it for 2 reps!

2 Overcrushes with the filed #2. Paul challenged me to hold it for 15 seconds and I tried like crazy. I held it for about 13 seconds the first time and 12 seconds the second time. This required a level of intensity and concentration that was just plain scary. I was focused.

1 nice long smooth out negative with the Narrow Elite.

1 set of extensors- Yellowx25

2 sets of TTK- 22.5#x6/22.5#x6 PR!

1 set of rotations with a pair of 3lb. shots

Finished off with contrast baths. Tomorrow is an off day.

I'm calling it right now. I WILL close the HG300 decisively on Thursday! :rock

EDIT-- to add how I did with my #3 :cool

Edited by Vice

2 Overcrushes with the filed #2.  Paul challenged me to hold it for 15 seconds and I tried like crazy.  I held it for about 13 seconds the first time and 12 seconds the second time.  This required a level of intensity and concentration that was just plain scary.  I was focused.

Hey Vice,

Nice job on the HG300...but I need to talk to you about how you slacked on those OC's on the 2!! :):)

Edited by pdoire

2 Overcrushes with the filed #2.  Paul challenged me to hold it for 15 seconds and I tried like crazy.  I held it for about 13 seconds the first time and 12 seconds the second time.  This required a level of intensity and concentration that was just plain scary.  I was focused.

Hey Vice,

Nice job on the HG300...but I need to talk to you about how you slacked on those OC's on the 2!! :):)

Haha, I promise you Paul, I used every ounce of energy and intensity I had on those OC's! But I will get 15 seconds out of them very soon. :cool

8-18-05

Max Attempt on HG300: 1/64", 1/64" Pretty upset that I didnt close this damn thing today :angry: but I'm so close that its gonna fall any day now. I also closed my #3 for 2 reps set in a choker at 3/8".

Work Sets:

2 Overcrushes with filed #2 for 12-13 seconds, still workin on 15

1 Smooth out negative with the Narrow Elite

2 sets of extensors, yellowx20/yellowx20

4 sets of TTK- 17.5#x10/22.5#x7 PR!/23.4#x5/23.4#x5

Finised off with contrast baths. Dissapointed that I didnt close the HG300, but at least I hit another PR on the TTK. Also got to try the new washers out. I was surprised that 0.9 lbs took off 2 reps. Maybe my hands were just fatigued.

Nice workout Brian, closing the #3 at 3/4" is pretty awesome.

8-19-05

Work Sets:

2 sets of attempted closes with the HG300- 1/32", 1/32"

2 sets of Overcrushes with the filed #2. Both OC's were held for about 11-12 seconds

1 set of Negatives with the Narrow Elite

2 sets of extensors- yellowx20/yellow until failure

Well the first part of my workout sucked. Just didnt have the energy or motivation today. Luckily things changed when I got to my thumbs...

5 sets of TTK- 17.5#x10/23.4#x6PR!/ 24.2#x4/24.2#x5/24.2#x5PR!2 full DL's with a 32.5# blob

Finished off with contrast baths like usual. 2 PR's on the TTK was awesome. :D Saturday and Sunday are off days. Next week will be a week long wave loading program with low volume to help me peak. Then I will test out how close I am on the #3 before I begin my new 5 week program. :cool

Nice workout Brian, closing the #3 at 3/4" is pretty awesome.

8-19-05

Work Sets:

2 sets of attempted closes with the HG300- 1/32", 1/32"

2 sets of Overcrushes with the filed #2. Both OC's were held for about 11-12 seconds

1 set of Negatives with the Narrow Elite

2 sets of extensors- yellowx20/yellow until failure

Well the first part of my workout sucked. Just didnt have the energy or motivation today. Luckily things changed when I got to my thumbs...

5 sets of TTK- 17.5#x10/23.4#x6PR!/ 24.2#x4/24.2#x5/24.2#x5PR!2 full DL's with a 32.5# blob

Finished off with contrast baths like usual. 2 PR's on the TTK was awesome.  :D Saturday and Sunday are off days. Next week will be a week long wave loading program with low volume to help me peak. Then I will test out how close I am on the #3 before I begin my new 5 week program.  :cool

put it away buddy ;)

8-22-05

I would post my workout but it wasnt very structured today. All that really matters is that I had 2 PR's!

The first PR was FINALLY closing the HG300!!!! I tried 4 times with each hand, and I was only able to get it once with my right hand, but thats all that matters. The other attempts were all around 1/32" off.

The second PR was with my 32.5# blob. I've been able to DL it for a few weeks now, but I could never hold it for more than 2-3 seconds once it was fully deadlifted. Today I deadlifted it, then held it for 5 seconds!! This isnt that big of an accomplishment but it was pretty amazing to me, and I'm really pleased with the progress my thumbs have been making in the past few weeks.

Stoked about this workout. :rock:rock