John's Grip Journal

Vice

Had a pretty good workout today.

Warmed up with a 1/4" x 7.25" crs, then...

9/32" x 7.25" O1 drill rod x 3, then...

9/32" x 6.13" stainless... this has been a goal for a while because of the crushdown, got it to 1.75" today pr!... then

finished off with a 9/32" x 7.25" stainless

Did some light kettlebell stuff, haven't hit the gym in a couple of weeks, need to get back in there tomorrow.

Also did some DU and reverse bends with some easy steel.

Also mailed some steel off to Eric for calibration, I'm going for a 5/16" x 6" 12L14 bend for the steel slayers list on Friday. Also mailed Eric a 7" bastard for calibration as I might be able to get that on Friday as well for the steel slayers list and FBBC cert. The stars will need to be aligned for all that to happen but I think I have a decent chance of getting both. :rock

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vice

• bencrush

• pdoire

• madknight

Top Posters In This Topic

1/4" x 6.5" stainless x 3

9/32" x 6.5" stainless x 2

19/64" x 6.5" O1 pr!

Then did a little levering to finish off the workout. Actually did some gripper work to start my workout.

Goals by Feb. 1st:

5/16" x 7" O1 drill rod

335ip overhead lever (10.65#)

Chest crush #4

RB240N to 1/8"

Also gonna place an order for a vbar, RT, and start working my pinch some with my TTK and block weights.

Bending will be my #1 focus but I want a more rounded grip and routine.

Did some gripper work today, high reps just to get the muscle memory back.

No bending today, but hopefully some big bends tomorrow if I'm not too hungover. If I am then I'll be going for it on Saturday. I am so ready to get these bends on video.

Gonna go do some pinch work with my 35# blockweight.

Took down a 6" x 5/16" 12L14 for the steel slayer list today but didn't have anything i could use as the 1.25" diameter hole to measure my wraps so it probably won't count for now. I calipered it, but I think I'll need to get or make something before its legit. Tried to take down a bastard for the steel slayer list and FBBC cert but couldn't get it. Kind of pissed about that. Took it down to 15 degrees then it froze up, kinked it to 30 then finished it off. Very frustrating. Also tried to take down a 9/32" x 5.88" stainless but it froze at 2 1/8". So close.

My kink seems to have plateaued at the 7" length, although overall I am still getting stronger throughout most of the bend. Just the initial 20 degrees that is stagnant.

So it turns out the 5/16" crs that I was taking down is really weak. Only 455# at 6", so I don't feel very strong anymore. Actually I never did. I'm going for a 6" x 19/64" O1 drill rod on Wednesday. I think this will cal in the 500-520 range. My other crs is 540 at 6" so probably out of my range right now.

I think I might go to the BBB5. I havent trained my pinch in about 3 years, have just barely started working with grippers again and have never even touched a crusher/RT or worked with anything other than standard diameter barbells and dumbbells, and I don't even think I know what a hercules hold is but I'm going anyway!

One thing I should do well on is bending, and I just emailed John to order a 2.5" crusher to help me train for that event. Also ordered a 2" vbar because I've wanted one for a while.

Did some sledge levers and grippers today. Just lots of reps with my #1 right now, trying to get the muscle memory back.

Gonna hopefully hit the gym and do some DU/reverse bending tomorrow.

Don't let the news of that calibration get you down! It happens sometimes and that's still at the G8 level. That's cool that you're considering entering the BBB5! John puts on one of the best contests around!!! Excellent that you bought some of the implements too! You won't regret that choice.

Thanks Ben I'm very excited to get the 2" crusher and vbar. I did some bending today and gripper work, and levers.

I wanted to get a 6" x 19/64" O1 bent today and it almost happened. Got it to 90 degrees fairly quickly then struggled to get it into position where I could crush it down. I finally had it moving when I tweaked my shoulder a little bit. I think this goes down next time I try it. I also think it is easily in the low 500s, as the 9/32" O1 I have cal'd at 465 at 6".

After this I did a few more bends, then took down a 7" x 19/64" O1 fairly easily. After that I bent a red nail from about 15 degrees to 90. I know this will fall any day now. I've been so close so many times.

After that I thought of a great way to use my bent steel and taped a bent bastard to the bottom of my sledge. I have just started to be able to lever my 10#'er from the bottom of the handle, so I duct taped a bastard onto it and tried to lever that from the the bottom of the handle. I got it for 2 singles with each hand. Based on the weight of the steel, it comes out to an increase equivalent to moving my hand down 1/2" on the handle on a 10# sledge. New pr of 10.152# :D

Your getting really close on that red. Good job.

Haha, I like what you did with the sledge levering. Go Microloading!

Your getting really close on that red. Good job.

Haha, I like what you did with the sledge levering. Go Microloading!

Thanks bro, it will be a great moment when I finally get it, I feel like I've been close for over a month now.

Haha thanks, I thought it was a good idea too, I'm all about microloading, I wish I had a lathe so I could do the same thing with my steel. Next time I'll try levering it with 2 bent bastards taped on :D

Also just ordered some shinys from FBBC... The huge shiny is one of my main goals for this year and I have a feeling it will take all the focus I have to get there. The crush on that is gonna be killer.

Good luck on that huge shiny. My bending goal for 2010 is to get the bastard. We'll see if I can make it. I gotta place a new bending order soon. Getting low on steel.

Had a good workout today. Worked up to a pr lever of my 10# sledge with 2 bastards taped onto it for a grand total of 10.304#. This is 319.4 ip of torque, getting closer to my goal of 335ip by Feb. 1st.

I also tested grippers today and was able to match the goal I had set for myself by Feb. 1st, closing my RB 240N to 1/8". My new goal will be to have it closed by Feb. 1st.

Tried to do some bending today but it wasn't working out too well. Did a couple of reverse bends and attempted to DU some 1/4" but I've lost some DU strength. I'm gonna work these harder the next few days as I tweaked my shoulder a couple days ago and it still hurts when I do a crushdown.

Also revised a couple of my 2010 goals to challenge myself more on sledge and grippers, I think I can make big gains this year and I might even be able to cert on a couple of MM grippers even though bending will be my main focus 24/7. Time will tell.

Did some DU bending with some easy steel, then did some levering, got 252x4 overhead with either hand, a new pr, but still weak as hell. Did a little pinching today, got the 35# hex off the ground for some full DL's with my left, and one DL with my right, along with airtime on a few other attempts. Need to start training my pinch again. Also started to file down a gripper to get some BTR work in.

Gonna try some DO bending tomorrow but my shoulder still feels tweaked a little bit. Will definitely be doing some gripper work.

Ben you still got your RGC? I gotta cal a few grippers.

Edited by Vice

DO:

7" x 1/4" crs

7" x 1/4" 303ss

7" x 9/32" 303ss

7" x 19/64" O1

7" x 19/64" O1 + 2x 1/16" O1

6" x 1/4" crs

6" x 1/4" 303ss

6" x 9/32" 303ss

6" x 19/64" O1

All bends completed to 90 degrees, still have a small tweak in my shoulder that makes the crushdown painful.

Also did some gripper work.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit the gym then come home and set some overhead lever prs, hopefully a 10.45# lever will be completed.

Ben you still got your RGC? I gotta cal a few grippers.

I have the calibrator, but no way to actually use it since I sold my power rack. I was trying to sell my calibrator a while back. Pretty surprised that nobody wanted it since I used to get requests to calibrate grippers every few weeks.

Set another pr, with an overhead lever of 10.45# tonight. I think I had a little more in me, I'll go for 10.61# this weekend. Also did a few DL's with my 35# hex blob, lifted it easy left handed, right handed was a little tougher.

Ben do you know anyone on the board that calibrates grippers?

Gonna try doing some light DO tomorrow mixed in with some tough reverse and DU.

Set another pr, with an overhead lever of 10.45# tonight. I think I had a little more in me, I'll go for 10.61# this weekend. Also did a few DL's with my 35# hex blob, lifted it easy left handed, right handed was a little tougher.

Ben do you know anyone on the board that calibrates grippers?

Gonna try doing some light DO tomorrow mixed in with some tough reverse and DU.

Matt Cannon still does I think. Bob Lipinski. Chris Rice. Sure there are others too, but these guys roll off the tongue right now.

Thanks Ben, Bob is going to cal a couple for me.

Today was a great day. The first real accomplishment in my steel bending journey, I finally took down the red nail. Used 1.25" FBBC suedes to do it. Reaggrivated my shoulder injury but I don't even care. I had to finish the bend with my shoulder telling me to stop but I would not stop.

Also set another overhead lever pr. Quick question for the 3 or 4 people that might actually read this... if my sledge is a 10#'er but it weighs 11.2# when I put it on my scale what is it considered? Are they weighed in competitions?

Edited by Vice

Awesome job on the red man! No shame in using the 1.25" wraps to build up your strength.

Edited by madknight

Thanks Jeremy, I actually should say that I started with the 1.25" suedes but switched to a softer 1" wrap from 90 degrees on. I find the crush easier with thin wraps.

Feels great to finally bend the red but for some reason the excitement didn't last long. Time to move on to the next piece of steel. I think I'm gonna start using my IM pads and work up to the red in those.

Fantastic work John!!!!!!!!!! :mosher:yikes:phone:ohmy:rock:cool:D

1.25" pads are not cheating, those fit the Steel Slayer Rules. Great job buddy! I understand wanting to move on to the next piece of steel, but I sure hope you pat yourself on the back for hammering the Red Nail into oblivion!

Fantastic work John!!!!!!!!!! :mosher:yikes:phone:ohmy:rock:cool:D

1.25" pads are not cheating, those fit the Steel Slayer Rules. Great job buddy! I understand wanting to move on to the next piece of steel, but I sure hope you pat yourself on the back for hammering the Red Nail into oblivion!

Thanks Ben, I think I'll take some advice from what you said in your log and instead of racing from one cert to the next, try to enjoy the ride and celebrate each pr. I'm very competitive so I have that "its never good enough" mentality sometimes, but this is one I need to sit back and enjoy. I won't be bending anything else for at least a few days my shoulder is pretty sore today.

:rock

Thanks guys, the bastard cert is next on my list. Then I need to get these on the steel slayer lists, along with a max 6" bend.

Did some levering, grippers, and some easy DU/reverse today. Shoulder is still messed up. Hopefully can do some easy DO bends on Thursday then take down another red on Saturday.

Who needs to rest up when they're injured... my shoulder was feeling pretty good today and I smoked a red today in about 2 minutes :rockAlso took down a red with a 1/16" O1 taped to it.

Much faster than my first one last week. Also took down a 9/32" x 7" 303 stainless in my thin 1" soft suedes. These might actually be just under an inch even with the bar wrapped. Once I kinked the stainless it went down quick, I'd say this is my first decent bend in anything thin like this. I know I could take this down in IM pads, which means maybe a red nail cert isn't too far off? Gotta start using the IM pads in the next week or two and build up to the red. :rock

Also levered my sledge with some added weight today. 10.9 pounds which is a new record.

Edited by Vice