2005 Wrist Curl Challenge . . .

austinslater

Dave,

This morning I decided to push a little bit- surgery was two weeks ago.

180 x 6 for two sets good style, 200 for 4 but not complete reps.

Should not have done that yet- I will spare you the details :(

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave H

• jad

• Roark

• austinslater

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe,

First, take care of yourself and don't push it. But, Joe, that is some weight you are moving! Two weeks out of surgery?! Man, that's great. Joe, it's numbers as those that you are handling in the gym that makes me realize that even at 48 - as I am - I have many years of productive strength training left in me. Seriously! There seem to be some out there who do not have a clue as to how long we can push our strength levels.

You are an inspiration to me - and to many others who care to follow our footsteps.

Nice going, Joe. Now, take care of yourself.

Dave...

Sat, Apr 05

DB. W-curls: 30'sx 20-20, 20-20, 20-20.

Leverage work: 3 pound sledge hammer only. All four angles, many sets and reps.

I used very light weight tonight because I am going to let the elbow heal some. I tried going up to 50's but felt some slight pain so I just kept it at 30's. I felt no pain there. I'll be fine in a week or two.

Dave...

wrist curl challenge

First person to 300 or closest to it by Dec. 31st.

I talked to Jad and we decided to have a friendly competition similar to Jedds and Davids challenge. I also pm'd a couple others so maybe we will have some more join in. Should be fun. I have almost no chance of catching Josh but hopefully this will push me to hit some nice pr's. Im laying off of crush after an injury and also started armwrestling so Ill be focusing on wrist strength which is embarrasingly weak but hopefully it will come up fast. Ill also post some of the other stuff that Im doing related to grip/armwrestling as well.

Austin, what is the most that you have heard of wrist curling a dumbbell?

Until I see the doctor soon I am not going all out, but wrist curls the way I do them (over a pad placed perpendicular on the bench) isolate my forearms, so my wrist curls can be almost as intensely as usual.

This morning after warm-ups:

160 x 6

160 x 6

180 x 10

180 x 6

My health set-back has almost been beneficial in that the frequency of my workouts has been lessened, giving me more recovery time, so even after I get the all clear (hopefully) I will do wrist curls only every fourth or fifth day.

In normal conditions I would have tried for an 11th rep with 180 on the first set, but thought better of it today.

My plan is to jump to 190 next workout for the final set.

I no longer plan to perform max singles. Whatever I can do 10 reps with is probably 25-30 lbs less than my single rep max (judging from experience).

Joe and Dave take it slow! Im back to the barbells and db wrist curls and Im nursing a sore wrist from my armwrestling tournament 4 wks ago.

Wanna be-the most I have heard about is Bill Ballingers 100x100.

I am aiming for 250x3.....

Monday, 6 Apr 05

Swingbell W-curls: 55x 5, 5. 105x 5, 5. 135x 3. 185x 2.

210x 2. *235x 3! 155x 5, 5, 8.

Leverage work: 3 & 6 pound sledge hammers. All 4 angles, many sets & reps.

I was kind of shooting for next week for my max, but as workouts goes, I use the instinctive method over all else. I have been tired for two weeks, but the workouts have been going well. I drank my Redbull on the a home, hit the gym and started cranking out the EZ-curls. Things felt great, so I decided right there that I would go for my max in the W-curls. I had planned to do just 1 rep with 235, but as I said, things felt good and I cranked out 3. I honestly think I had more, but I did not want to aggravate the elbow. It's healing nicely.

Dave...

Monday, 6 Apr 05

One more thing. If you pay attention to my routine, you will see that I did high reps with 165 to prepare for this max - as always. High reps does build strength. It prepares the muscles, tendons and ligaments so deeply that it builds a great base to launch heavy weights from.

I will raise my working sets to 185 and continue with the cards or walking sets. Also, up until now, I have been making 25 pounds jumps for my maxs'. From now on I will only take 15 pound jumps. I have about 8.5 months left in the year and I plan not to rush it. Also, I have been on a "Almost zero-carb diet" for the last two weeks. I intend to get ripped this summer! Very lean! Down to between 200 - 205. So that might slow me down just a little until my body adjusts. But come fall, I'll put about 10 - 15 back on and the W-curls should take off again. I hope to hit 300 by November. That way, if I fail, I still have a month to nail it down.

Dave....

I am aiming for 250x3.....

Excellent! What is your max for three reps now?

LOL I don't post here much so sorry if I don't post in a timely fashion.....but I dunno how much I can do x3......I will give it a go tomorrow ans see what I can do.....

Wed, 13 Apr 05

Swingbell W-curls: 55x 5,5. 105x 5,5. 135x 5,5. 185 (cards) x 3, 13, 10,

9, 2, 5 = 42 reps.

Leverage work: 3 & 6 pound Sledge hammers.

All 4 angles, many sets and reps.

If you look back on my workout on 26 Jan, you will see that my 1-rep max that night was 185. Well, since my 1-rep max of last week with 235 for 3 I have moved my working sets up to 185! And I did the cards - as usual. Right off the bat I drew a King (13) and then a 10. But they went up fine. Felt very strong tonight. I took all of last week off of training though, and this was the first workout since last Wednesday, so I felt strong and refreshed.

Dave...

Dave,

I have dealt myself into your higher rep method- whoa I forgot how much of a pump that yields!

I use a 37.5 lb thick bar, but in my calculations I figure 37 lbs:

62 x 12

112 x 10

142 x 6

172 x 6

202 x 6

142 x 17

142 x 15

142 x 8

I want to get 17 reps on my first dropback set so I will probably stay with 142 until I bring up the other two sets with 142.

Thanks for the tip!

Joe,

Ditto on the pump! Also, you are doing right by bringing the other two sets up. And see, this will push the 1-rep max higher as you close in on current max with high volume. It has NO CHOICE but to go up. In other words, YOU have NO CHOICE but to get stronger! That's why high volume WITH progressively heavier weight DOES make you stronger.

Dave....

Hope you are feeling better. It looks like it from the workouts.

Joe,

Ditto on the pump!  Also, you are doing right by bringing the other two sets up.  And see, this will push the 1-rep max higher as you close in on current max with high volume.  It has NO CHOICE but to go up.  In other words, YOU have NO CHOICE but to get stronger!  That's why high volume WITH progressively heavier weight DOES make you stronger.

Dave....

Hope you are feeling better.  It looks like it from the workouts.

Dave,

I feel fine. Even felt fine before surgery. My follow-up check-up was not the news I wanted, but we will see what happens. I may be in for another layoff, but I will make progress while I can. So you had better get curling :D

April 18, 2005

62 x 12

112 x 10

142 x 10

172 x 6

200 x 3

152 x 20

152 x 15

152 x 10

I will probably jump to 157 for my max rep sets next workout, and not go any higher than 200, which I am including for the warmup benefit when I drop back to 157.

Apr 23, 2005

62 x 12

112 x 10

142 x 6

162 x 6

182 x 3

212 x 3

162 x 16

162 x 10

162 x 6

I changed plates and though the 182 was 172, then realized why it felt heavy and decided to bump up my three rep set to 212. I will remain with this format until I can get more than 10 reps on my second drop-back set with 162.

I can't wait to see someone get 300 in this log :D me thinks that burns :flame the wrists :laugh:laugh:laugh

Joe,

Where did you get your bar (brand? diameter?). I've been looking for a shorter thickbar for wrist curls. Yours looks to be 1 3/4" or so.

Joe,

Where did you get your bar (brand? diameter?).  I've been looking for a shorter thickbar for wrist curls.  Yours looks to be 1 3/4" or so.

It is 1.75" diameter, and it was a gift from Kim Wood.