2005 Wrist Curl Challenge . . .

austinslater

diesel,

I don't know about the other guys, but I don't think I have very big Forearms. They are very defined up close, but from a distance I don't think anyone would think them big. That's just based on the way they look to me. I have not measured a body part in maybe 20 years. I quit doing that because I was always discouraged after reading the Bodybuilding mags. I was always tall and thin so I really didn't have the genetics to put on a lot of muscle unless I gained a lot of weight - which I don't like doing. But one thing I found that I could do was build a lot of strength in the hands and arms. I found out when I was young that training for strength was my cup of tea! I am 6-1 and weigh about 210-215.

You can check out my gallery and draw your own conclusion, but if you are expecting a bodybuilder type, you will be disappointed. I am - and always have been into building a tremendous amount of functional strength. Strength that I can use on the job and in everyday life. And hand and arm strength is very functional! Everything we do begins with the hands and arms. I always out-work most everyone half my age. Work that seems hard for them is easy for me because of my hand and arm strength and my endurance and fitness levels.

Dave...

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave H

• jad

• Roark

• austinslater

Top Posters In This Topic

I am - and always have been into building a tremendous amount of functional strength. Strength that I can use on the job and in everyday life. And hand and arm strength is very functional! Everything we do begins with the hands and arms. I always out-work most everyone half my age. Work that seems hard for them is easy for me because of my hand and arm strength and my endurance and fitness levels.

judging by those pics, i can easily say that your arms and hands are real strong and that you have been successful in developing a tremendous amount of functional strength. good going. thanx for the reply, and keep doing what you're doing. it is obviously working :)

Wednesday 18 May 05

Swing-bell W-curls: 55x 5, 5. 105x 5, 5. 155x 5, 5.

185x (cards) 3, 10, 9, 2, 11, 12, 8, 15 = 70 reps!!

Leverage work: Same as always.

As you may have noticed, I did not workout at all last week. We worked a lot of hours and I was very tired. I am still very tired this week, but I must workout! In-between sets tonight I sat in my chair at my desk and sweated! I felt beaten down. But when I got the weight in my hands, everything moved fine. That goes to show you that true tendon strength will always be there for you.

Also, if you notice, On my last set, I drew a 15 (Joker). I was so tired that I almost cheated by shoving the card back into the deck and re-drawing. But I didn't! I couldn't do that. I banged it out, and it went ok. But, dang! I couldn't believe it when I flipped that card.

Hopefully I will start feeling better in a week or so.

Dave..

Sat, 21 May 05

DB. W-curls: 60'sx 20-20, 20-20, 20-20.

Leverage work: 3 & 6 pound sledge. All four angles, many sets & reps.

I did not work out last night. I drove to Columbus after work and had dinner with Sean Dockery and his wife, Angela. We had a great time and talked strength for a long time. I got home about mid-night but had to get up at 3:50 to be at work at 5:15 am. Surprisingly, I felt really good all day. I got home, mowed the back field (2 acres), stopped and ate a little something and then went down in the gym for my workout. Afterward, I mowed the yard around the house (1.3 acres).

The workout felt good. I raised the DB's from 50's, to 60's. I just was just not getting anything out of the 50's anymore.

Dave...

great job six and all of you your doing great

Edited by unknown

Wednesday, 25 May 05

SB. W-curls: 55x 5, 5. 105x 5, 5. 155x 5, 5.

205x 5, 5. 255x 3***

Leverage work: 3& 6 pound sledge hammers, all 4 angles, many sets and reps.

I hit 255 tonight and got it for 3 reps. The first one was the tuffest. I think the momentum carried me through the next two. But it was very tuff! I have now gotten too much weight on the bar to continue to do Center-loaded Wrist-curls comfortably! My hands were spread much too far apart for the lift to feel comfortable! I now must solve this problem.

I may just go to the standard Wrist-curls on a regular barbell, or I may just start placing some of the weight on the outside of the hands on the Center loaded bar. Also, I think from this point on, I may need a spotter to place the weight into my hands. I ran into all this tonight when I went for this max! I nailed 3 reps! But I was very concerned about injury because of these complications.

I will now move my working weight up to 205!

Dave...

Needed to get to bed so I didn't post this last night

5-27-05

Wrist Curls

135x8

185x3

230x2: bar slipped and got uneven on me or I would have hit this triple

250x0: again the bar slipped and got uneven, my right wrist was in the full hook and my left was around parallel, then the bar started slipping through my LH. I would have had this if the freakin thing wouldn't have slipped. I'm going back to the black bar next workout. I tried the chrome one this workout because it has a little knurling in the center, which I thought would serve as a good guide for getting my hands centered but the darn thing is just too slick.

225x0: same thing as above

Skipped the burnout set and reverse wrist curls since I still have plenty of volume work ahead of me on the #2 tonight

Because of a health situation my wrist training has been sparse at best for the past couple of months, but I seem to be improving so I decided to begin again.

This morning on the thickbar (1.75"):

37 x 10

87 x 10

110 x 10

150 x 10

200 x 1

220 x 1 (did this just to get my marker of current level)

170 x 10

Next workout I will return to higher reps.

5-31-05

Wrist Curls

135x8

185x3

210x3

230x3

250x1 PTL :bow This felt pretty solid

135x27

Reverse Wrist Curls

40x12

50x8

60x5

70x2

* I forgot to put in my 2nd set of triples on the last workout (210x3)

Great job on the 250! I wish I could push these and cant wait to get started again!

Austin

Today's forearm workout, sorry it has been so long, I will try to update all my workouts from now on. Anyway here it is:

125lb DB for 3 sets of 15 each hand

100lb DB for 3 sets of 15 each hand

90lb DB for 3 sets of 15 each hand

80lb DB for 3 sets of 15 each hand

70lb DB for 3 sets of 30 each hand

60lb DB for 3 sets of 30 each hand

50lb DB for 3 sets of 30 each hand

Both forearms measured in again at 18.5" exactly. The size I want will come in time. :D

Later guys, my forearms are so pumped and stressed right now that I can hardly type this, time for some recovery work. :rock

Josh,

Good job on the 250!

Joe,

You are still handling some nice weight for someone who has had some health problems, buddy! 220! You are the Man!!

Shrug, nice volume, man. Good stuff.

Dave....

Not a real workout just wanted to do some strecthing but I did hit the 120lb DB hard, here is how it went:

120lb DB

42 reps with my left hand

Hit 21 reps and was going strong then something popped in my wrist and had a slight twinge of pain. Stopped at 21 reps just to be safe, wrist was sore from my last workout and I did not want to push it.

50lb DB

3 sets of 20 reps with each hand, very slow reps with long pause at the bottom. This was in an effort to strecth my wrists and get some light reps in to get the blood flowing through my forearms.

Next heavy training session should be in 2 days or so, depends on if I am fully recovered or not, it may take longer this time because of my wrist but I doubt it.

Wed, 1 June 05

SB. W-curls: 55x 5, 5. 105x 5,5. 155x 5,5.

*205x (cards) 3, 14, 4, 12, 14, 12, 14, 5 = 78 reps!

**Leverage Work: 4.25 & 8.5 pound sledge hammers, all four angles, many sets & reps.

*I raised the working sets to 205 tonight, and wouldn't you know it, look at the numbers! The cards were not good to me tonight. I started with my normal 3 reps. Then I drew an Ace (14). No big deal, I'll knock out 14 reps. It's only the second set and I am fresh - even with the raise in the weight. The next card was a 4. Cool, I can handle that. But now it gets crazy. The next card was a Queen (12)! Ok, suck it up and do it! Then, the next one was another Ace (14)! Now, at this time I'm thinking about re-shuffling those d@mn things! But I remind myself about "mental tuffness" and the fact that the high volume does make me stronger! So I do it! Then I draw another Queen!! And then another Ace!!! I finished with a 5. I was teasing my wife about fixing the deck on me. But seriously, every now and then a deck becomes jinxed - this one has! I will be replacing it with a new one this week!

I also moved some of the plates onto the outside of the hands - or to the ends of the bar. That way I did not have a problem with my hands being to far apart. The balance was a little different, but hopefully I will be used to it by the time I am ready for a new max. I don't plan on doing another until the end of the summer. I don't care if I'm the first one to hit 300. My goal is to hit it before the end of this year.

**I raised the weight of my hammers by taping a 1.25 pound plate onto the 3-pound sledge and a 2.5 onto the 6-pounder. Now I will refer to them as the 4.25 and the 8.5 pounders. I had a much better workout with them.

Dave...

Sat, 4 June 05

Leverage work: 4.25 & 8.5 sledge hammers, all 4 angles, many sets & reps.

The added weight in both the DB. W-curls and the sledge hammers feel really good. Both the wrist and the forearm are fried when I am done!

6-7-05

135x10

190x3

215x3

235x2...this wasy heavvvy :D

255x0...got it up to parallel and almost rolled it over. God-willing, I think this will fall next week. I figured I'd barely move it after missing my triple with 235

185x10

reverse wrist curls

50x6

60x6

60x5

60x6

6-7-05

135x10

190x3

215x3

235x2...this wasy heavvvy :D

255x0...got it up to parallel and almost rolled it over.  God-willing, I think this will fall next week.  I figured I'd barely move it after missing my triple with 235

185x10

reverse wrist curls

50x6

60x6

60x5

60x6

great job on the 235 for reps, keep going man that 255 will be next :rock

Yea, you're right, Josh, 235 IS HEAVY! But 250 will drop soon enough. Just be smart and don't rush it. Watch out for injuries.

Dave....

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!.......I need to start training.....but no excuses....you guys are doing very very well.......keep up the good work Dave and everyone else......

Sat, 11 June 05

Leverage work: 4.25 & 8.5 pound sledge hammers, all 4 angles, many sets & reps.

Did not work out at all last week during the week due to long hours at work. Today, I worked my part-time job. I had a ton of things to do around the place but worked out after I mowed (total Saturday workout). I detected NO let-down in strength. That's the way true strength is supposed to be. It stays with you!

Dave....

you might of mentioned this but i havent read every post :blink but are you all using an olympic bar for the wrist curls or a shorter bar?

Itch85: I'm using an oly bar, I think Sixgun uses a swingbell, and Roark uses some type of thickbar that he got from Kim Wood....lucky dog :D

6-13-05

190x3

210x3

235x1...bar got off balance and just one rep was hard so I figured I'd save myself for the single

255x0x0...I barely moved it both times. I almost had it last week and this week I can barely move it???? :angry:

Figured I'd do some rep work since my low rep strength was nonexistent

185x10x10x9 waited 10 secs 0, waited 10 secs 0, waited 10 secs finally got my last rep

Reverse wrist curl

50x8x8x8

Edited by jad

Itch85:  I'm using an oly bar, I think Sixgun uses a swingbell, and Roark uses some type of thickbar that he got from Kim Wood....lucky dog :D

6-13-05

190x3

210x3

235x1...bar got off balance and just one rep was hard so I figured I'd save myself for the single

255x0x0...I barely moved it both times.  I almost had it last week and this week I can barely move it???? :angry:

Figured I'd do some rep work since my low rep strength was nonexistent

185x10x10x9 waited 10 secs 0, waited 10 secs 0, waited 10 secs finally got my last rep

Reverse wrist curl

50x8x8x8

Wow, some impressive numbers :bow