2005 Wrist Curl Challenge . . .

austinslater

wrist curl challenge

First person to 300 or closest to it by Dec. 31st.

I talked to Jad and we decided to have a friendly competition similar to Jedds and Davids challenge. I also pm'd a couple others so maybe we will have some more join in. Should be fun. I have almost no chance of catching Josh but hopefully this will push me to hit some nice pr's. Im laying off of crush after an injury and also started armwrestling so Ill be focusing on wrist strength which is embarrasingly weak but hopefully it will come up fast. Ill also post some of the other stuff that Im doing related to grip/armwrestling as well.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave H

• jad

• Roark

• austinslater

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! :D

300#? :bow

Good luck, have fun, stay healthy.

Great news, Austin! When my tendons heal, I will concentrate more on wrist-training too. Maybe I join your challenge later :rock

I'm in, though my personal goal will be personal improvement. On a regular bar at the moment I assume I could do more than on the thickbar I have been using, and my best recent on thickbar is 200 x 6, and that is near limit for me, so we are talking nearly a 50% improvement in the next year. At my age I cannot envision that but even placing last in this task would be no cause for embarrassment!

Too bad this was not posted in the Liar's Club section because I could already claim victory :D

Austin,

Is this a seated, full rep wrist curl from below parallel? I wish you guys the best of luck. The strength you guys are gonna gain is gonna be unreal. I'm definitely looking forward to this one. :rock

Just out of curiousity, where are each of you now? I'm wondering how far each of you has to go.

Just out of curiousity, where are each of you now?  I'm wondering how far each of you has to go.

I have not done any stardard Olympic bar wrist curls in several weeks- have been using the 1.75" diameter bar, but next week, probably Tuesday, I will switch back to standard bar for max effort and then use thickbar for lower sets.

At the moment I weigh 215 (am shredded with 4% bodyfat) -oops this isn't the Liar's Club section so ignore the parenthetical lies- 215 lbs, and am hoping to lose some weight which should not impact my wrist curls. My best was 240 at about 202 lbs bodyweight as I recall. I suspect at this time I can probably get 225 for a single on a standard bar but will know on the 25th, and if not then, hopefully on my birthday four days later.

Austin,

Is this a seated, full rep wrist curl from below parallel?  I wish you guys the best of luck.  The strength you guys are gonna gain is gonna be unreal.  I'm definitely looking forward to this one. :rock

Yep, I sit on the end of a bench, with my wrists hanging off the edge, lean over and pick it up off the floor and then wrist curl it up.

Sixgun is in as well! Cant wait. As to where Im at now Im not really sure. I just started training wrist curls a couple of wks ago and have been doing 115 for sets of 15-20. Im going to take a slow approach. Ill be happy with anything over 200 to be honest. Ill be lucky to make the top 4 but like Underdawg said Ill get stronger in the end nonetheless.

This is a pretty cool challenge guys. Hopefully I'll break 200 by December 31st! 300 is great!

I'll play but I sure don't see 300 - I'm shooting for anything over 200

Here's what I will do. I will post my Wrist-curls from my regular workout here. And I will try to keep up my log with my entire routine as well. But my Wrist-curl work will be repeated here. I will train it no differently than I aways do, but I will take a one-rep-max every so often.

Wednesday, 19 Jan 05

Center-plate-loaded Wrist-curls: 105* x 5, 5. 135** x 3, 7, 3, 11, 6, 2,

12, 14 = 58 reps.

* Warm-ups

**Cards

Saturday, 22 Jan 05

Saturdays are my light intensity day for Wrist-curls. I hit the Hammers and the Tables hard that day, but here goes...

DB* Wrist-curls: 50'sx 20-20, 20-20. 70'sx 14-14.

Edited by sixgun

Sat. Jan 24th

Wrist curls 135 3x10

Light day for me. Still getting used to the movement. I also did plate wrist curls and Db. wrist curls.

1-24-05

Barbell Wrist curls

warmup: 40kgx8

52.5kgx3

62.5kgx3

72.5kgx3

82.5kgx0, took 3 attempts at this and got it to parallel just couldn't roll it over

40kgx16

* weights DO NOT include bar

** I thought the gym had 1.25lb weights with my goal to add 2.5lbs per week. I found out tonight that they're 1.25kilos. So, I'm a week ahead of schedule on my triples but next week I need to hit that single or I'll be a week behind. That triple with 72.5kg just killed me. I thought about just doubling it after the first rep but I'm glad I tried for three.

Barbell Reverse wrist curls: I'm doing these just for injury prevention. When I can do 5 sets of 12 with a weight, I'm moving up.

barx12,10,8,8,8

Wed, 26 Jan 05

I took a look at my training log tonight and decided that since I have been training light with the cards at 135 in the Center-loaded Wrist-curls, I was due for a max. So I went ahead and maxed.

Center Loaded W-curls: 105x 5,5. 135x 5,5. 160X 1. 185x 1.

Everything went smooth. The 185 dropped about one inch below parallel and then came up into a full hook, or goose-neck. I call it a hook. It felt nice and smooth and I think I was good for 200 just as smooth. But I won't rush it. After all, we have all year. And guys, I do not intend to get injured at all this year. Injuries suck, and I have learned how to avoid them while still training for PR's.

This was done, as always, during my regular Wednesday workout which I will post tonight also. After my max I went ahead and had a Wrist-curl workout as my forearms were not stressed at all.

After tonight I will drop back to my lighter high rep stuff with the cards for about 6 more weeks. That will build me another solid base for another 1-rep Max.

Dave...

I like your six-week approach to build the base and then maxing. I might try something like that if I get start getting stale-mated on my singles. I wanted to take more of a microloading approach but I thought the gym had 1.25lb plates when in reality they're 1.25 kilos. Keep up the good work.

Yea, microloading works. I actually have a box of 100 large washers that weigh 8 ounces apiece. I used to put two washers on a bar every workout - one on each side. That was one pound each workout. Just light enough that the body really would reject it. 1 pound a week equals 52 pounds a year. And that is a nice increase no matter what lift your talking about.

Dave...

That's a great idea. The school weight room supervisor is a neat freak and makes the desk jockeys dust mop and wipe down the platforms with a hand towel every couple of hours. He even has a certain number of weights he wants on each tree. I saw him make this kid pull a 25 off of a peg and put in on the power rack peg because it was uneven. This a small private school. I've seen one person do hang cleans, everyone else just uses the platforms because the power racks are on top of them and that's the only place to bench. I can imagine the look on his face if pulled a bunch of washers out of my bag and started sliding them on one of his precious pieces of equipment. :D

Edited by jad

LOL

Sixgun

1/27 thursday

decline wrist curls 135 3x6

behind the back wrist curls with finger roll 95 3x12-15

decline plate wrist curls on bench 11 lbsx15

sledge work.

I will probably switch to a slight decline unless testing for a max as they seem to be easier on my wrists. Somewhat tougher but I like the change. I also liked doing plate wrist curls on a slight decline and over a bench rather then over my knee. Its also tougher and stricter but I felt tension over a greater range of motion. Went light just to get a feel but got a great pump with it. The behind the back wrist curls and letting it roll down my fingers is an exercise that Jacob Abbott recomended who is one of the best under 200 pound armwrestlers in the world. Huge pump from this exercise as well. Im also going to take it slow with the wrist curls as I have all year. Well enough rambling. Just some thoughts I wanted to put down for future reference. Nice workouts guys!

Austin