2005 Wrist Curl Challenge . . .

austinslater

Saturday, 29 Jan 05

Today is my light day with DB's. I also do my leveraging on this day along with the rest of my Saturday workout which I will post in my workout log.

DB.W-curls: 50'sx 20-20, 20-20. 70'sx 15-15.

Leverage work with my 3 & 6 pound sledge hammers. All 4 angles, many sets and reps.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave H

• jad

• Roark

• austinslater

Top Posters In This Topic

I am down I will post what I can do little by little.....I havn't started lifting yet but I am this week.......so I will write down my starting lifts unless they are too embarassing........does anyone know what a good starting weight is for a kid thats at his comp. all day and doesn't do much??

Start light on wrist curls and build up slow. It takes the wrists alittle while to get used to heavy training. Good luck!

Start light on wrist curls and build up slow. It takes the wrists alittle while to get used to heavy training. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice......just in case I want to see how much I can do what is a good starting weight for someone like me.........well nvm....lol it doesn't matter that much I guess.......I will post what I got sometime next week....and agian thanks for the advice

Yea, something that you can start out with for only about 10 reps comfortable. Nothing that will hurt the wrists right off the bat.

Dave...

When I began wrist curls years ago I remember the day I managed a single rep with 95 lbs (a single 25 on each side)- I felt like sticking my chest out and strutting around the farmyard to awaken the other animals!

Injuring the wrist will stop more exercises than just wrist curls- it may stop all exercises with free weights involving the upper body- depending on how bad the injury is. I agree that when starting out use sets of ten, and don't be concerned with heavy singles for a few weeks.

Yesterday I did behind the back wrist curls with the finger roll........I did 135........but it was very easy.......do you guys have any suggestions on how I should increase the weight slowly......also what do you use so you can have the weight bar by your hands so you can easily start the wrist curling.......cause my youger brother was down there and I had him lift it up to my hads......but it was very easy and I know I will increae my weight......so eventually he wont be able to lift it for me....so I am kinda in a predicament......so do you guys have any ideas??

Kyle,

Years ago I had a wrist curl stand made (have since foolishly discarded it). It had a piece of flat iron perhaps 12" square, and in the center an upright coming up welded to a piece of steel pipe cut in half lengthwise so that the barbell I was wrist curling would rest in the cradle on top the upright. Of course the height of the piece was such, that when I put forearms over the end of the bench I was ready to wrist curl without involving my back. The cradle should be about 6" wide- and the drawback is that the apparatus requires perfect balance so the barbell doesn't tip.

A much simpler method is the one I use now.

Sit on a bench with a leg on each side of the bench.

Place one of those 3' long pads (like used on a Nautilus leg extension to support the back) perpendicular to the bench you are sitting on.

The barbell is also resting perpendicular to the bench, about 2" parallel to the pad, so that when your wrists are supported on the pad the bar is in position.

When you grab the barbell with your hand near on each side of the bench on which you are sitting, you are ready to go! If you fail, the bench becomes your safety net.

You need a pad wide enough to allow your hands to NOT be on top of the bench (preventing range of motion).

Negatives are very safe this way. By blocking the pad with your knees as you are semi-standing behind it, grab the bar, keeping your wrists stiff so that when you sit down onto the bench, the bar swings up to the top of the wrist curl, then you can perform the negative.

Hope this helps.

Roark,

You're educating me as well as Kyle. Those are good ideas.

Will try them.

Thanks.

Dave...

Roark great post!

Today I just did plate wrist curls for my wrist curl movement. I think I will stick with these for the next 5 wks leading up to my armwrestling contest as they will benefit me more. I'm still in the challenge of course but will start posting my barbell wrist curl in march after the contest. The plate wrist curls seem to help my barbell wrist curl anyways so it wont hurt me. David Hornes video has me pumped as well and Hopefully I can do some decent damage with a 15kg. plate here soon.

Shrug has entered the wrist curl challenge as well so things are definitely getting interesting!

Austin

1-31-05

Wrist curls

40kgx8

52.5kgx3

62.5kgx3

72.5kgx3

82.5kgx0x0x0 thought I had just couldn't quite roll it over, closer than last week

40kgx13

*weights DO NOT include bar

**will move up on triples next week, I'm right on schedule for those, I'm now 1 week behind schedule on my singles. I have 16 more misses on my single before I've ruined my chance at 300lb for the year assuming a 2.5lb increase per week. Assuming I hit the single on a week I have two weeks to hit the new single since the smallest amount I can go up is 2.5kg and the workout was designed to only go up 2.5 lbs per week.

Reverse wrist curls: bar x 12,8,8...couldn't do my last two sets I ran out of time

Edited by jad

Kyle,

Years ago I had a wrist curl stand made (have since foolishly discarded it). It had a piece of flat iron perhaps 12" square, and in the center an upright coming up welded to a piece of steel pipe cut in half lengthwise so that the barbell I was wrist curling would rest in the cradle on top the upright. Of course the height of the piece was such, that when I put forearms over the end of the bench I was ready to wrist curl without involving my back. The cradle should be about 6" wide- and the drawback is that the apparatus requires perfect balance so the barbell doesn't tip.

A much simpler method is the one I use now.

Sit on a bench with a leg on each side of the bench.

Place one of those 3' long pads (like used on a Nautilus leg extension to support the back) perpendicular to the bench you are sitting on.

The barbell is also resting perpendicular to the bench, about 2" parallel to the pad, so that when your wrists are supported on the pad the bar is in position.

When you grab the barbell with your hand near on each side of the bench on which you are sitting, you are ready to go! If you fail, the bench becomes your safety net.

You need a pad wide enough to allow your hands to NOT be on top of the bench (preventing range of motion).

Negatives are very safe this way. By blocking the pad with your knees as you are semi-standing behind it, grab the bar, keeping your wrists stiff so that when you sit down onto the bench, the bar swings up to the top of the wrist curl, then you can perform the negative.

Hope this helps.

That helps thanks Roark......but if you had a picture that would help me 200 times more....

:bow

Wed, 2 Feb 05

Center Loaded Wrist-curls: (warm-ups) 105x 5, 5.

(working sets-cards) *145x 3, 3, 6, 11, 9, 11, 2, 2 = 47 reps.

Leverage work: 3 & 6 pound sledge hammers. All four angles, many sets and reps.

*If you notice, I moved the weight up 10 pounds - from 135 to 145 and added 2 additional sets. This increased the weight - resistance - as well as increased volume - sets/reps - should increase my base strength level and give me a foundation for about a 15-25 pound increase from my last max, which was 185.

Thickbar wrist curls Feb 2, 2005:

50 x 13

100 x 10

125 x 6

150 x 6

175 x 6

200 x 2

200 x 2

175 x 6 x 3

150 x 8 (probably could have done 15 reps but that warning feeling began in my left wrist so I backed off)

Saturday, 4 Feb 06

DAB. W-curls: 50x 20-20, 20-20. 70x 15-15.

Leverage work with 3 & 6 pound sledge hammers. All four angles, many sets and reps.

2-7-05

42.5kg x 8

55kg x 3

65kg x 3

75kg x 3

82.5kg x 1 Finally...PTL :bow

drop set: 40kg x 16

*Weights don't include the bar

**1 week ahead of schedule for triples

***1 week behind schedule on single, if I hit 85kg next week I'll be back on schedule for the singles

****I spread out my hands a little which helped tremendously with the balance

Reverse wrist curls: empty bar for 5 sets of 8

Nice. You're hitting some nice numbers, buddy. And you're training smart also. Not too much. Just about right.

Dave...

Tuesday 2/8/05

Plate wrist curls 4x5-7 reps 25 pound plate *focusing on full rom.*

barbell wrist curls 95x50

rest of grip workout afterthis.

Im focusing on plate wrist curls but will hit 1 set of high reps on the barbell to keep the groove and get some work in. Eli's performance with 185x40 is something Ill shoot for. the 95x50 was easy but felt great after the plate wrist curls. Im also using a shorter range of motion similar to Elis for the next few wks. Hopefully the high rep stuff Will build a base for when I switch to the heavy stuff in 4 wks. Time will tell.

Congrats Josh on your recent success. Ive got a ways to go! lol

Austin

9 Feb 05

Center loaded W-curls: (Warm-ups) 105x 5, 5.

(working sets - cards) 145x 3, 10, 12, 13, 3, 14 + 55 reps

Leverage work: 3 & 6 pound sledge, all four angles, many reps and sets.

Austin, nice work on the Plate-curls. Keep at them, you will get stronger at them as time goes by.

95x 50 is good. High reps are fun and they build a strong base for increased strength.

Eli did 185x 40?? Very Nice!!

Dave...

Sixgun,

Thanks for the kind words. One clarification the reps are only done to just below parallel and not full range of motion. Im doing about the same as Eli did in his diesel crew quick clip. Al Turner style . . .

For the challenge though my max single will be full range of motion.

Austin :rock

This morning Feb 10, 2005 I did 180 x 10 for two sets- but like Austin, just below parallel- though I also use full range for max singles.

Also got 200 x 2 x 2 this morning and 160 x 10 (full range)

Roark: Nice job on that double of 200. 160 for 10 with full ROM is pretty darn good too :rock

Austin: 50 reps is a lot no matter what the ROM, greate job :mosher

Edited by jad

Austin and Roark,

To both of you a good job. And don't worry, below parallel is below parallel. That's really all you need to go, I guess, for a good Wrist-curl. I always just try to drop below parallel between .5 and 1 inch on the heavy ones, then I come up into a full hook.

Dave...