2005 Wrist Curl Challenge . . .

austinslater

Friday 2/11

plate wrist curls 22 lb platexmax reps

barbell wrist curls 115x50

Had to have a quick workout and didnt do much. Wrist curls felt great. Ill probably drop the reps down somewhat and keep climbing in weight.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave H

• jad

• Roark

• austinslater

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat, 12 Feb 05

DB Wrist-curls: 50'sx 20-20, 20-20.

70'sx (cards) 3-3, 7-7, 5-5, 11-11, 10-10, 7-7, 2-2, 9-9 = 54 reps

*Power holds/Center Loaded bar: (same one I use on Wednesday night)

220 pounds held at parallel for a count of 10. 3 sets.

* The power holds are new. They are just to get my wrists accustomed to the weight that is coming their way in the near future.

Also, starting this week, I have increased my creatine intake by 1/3 and have doubled my intake of Calcium and Magnesium. Calcium and Magnesium taken together can have a "next to anabolic affect" on bones, tendons and ligaments and have shown an increase of strength in studies of up to 20% and has shown an increase in bone density! I have been taking the two together for years, so I don't know what the results will be by doubling my intake. Maybe not near as much because of the fact that I already take the two. But it can't hurt as far as reinforcement properties goes. This, along with the added weight and sets I made last week, I'm confident that I will stay healthy as well as continue to get stronger on a regular basis.

Dave...

Edited by sixgun

I don't want to get ahead of my self!...so I am going to ask this question......If memory serves you......How much weight did you start with on behind the back wrist curls (to finger tips or not doesn't matter)??.......and how long did it take you to get to 200?

Kyle,

Who are you asking?

Dave...

Kyle,

Who are you asking?

Dave...

Anyone and everyone....especially all the guys in this thread that do wrist curls........oh and by the way guys I went down to the basement to actually start my armwrestling lifting routine.........and I managed a couple of reps with 185......so i think my starting strength is great..... :mosher.....I also banged out some reps with 50 pounds on Hammer curls.....

I am on my way to 300 guys.....my first time going hard at the wrist curls I grabbed 185.....I think in months time I can break 200 for reps....

Kyle,

You are sure making progress compared to last year. That's great. I personally don't do Behind-The-Back-Wrist-Curls. Maybe some of the other guys do, and they can help you out with those.

Keep up the good work.

Dave...

wow I can't wait to see the results to the 300 pound wrist curl...but to all the guys, you definitely make me want to break out my bar and try some wrist curls :)

Kyle,

You are sure making progress compared to last year.  That's great.  I personally don't do Behind-The-Back-Wrist-Curls.  Maybe some of the other guys do, and they can help you out with those.

Keep up the good work.

Dave...

To tell you the truth sixgun I have never REALLY worked out before......all I did in the past was armwrestle when I could.....and mess with the grippers......which is why I am excited about grabbing 185 the first time I really tried the wrist curls.......I think this competition will keep me motivated to actually get off my ass this year and do what I want to do......which is get stronger for armwrestling.....I can't wait to see how close I am to 300 by the end of this year......it's gonna be fun guys......and as with everything I do.....I will be in it to win it!!!

So austin any prizes for the winner......the best prize will be doing 300 on wrist curls of course lol......bu anything else in mind?? :D

Feb 15, 2005

45 x 13

95 x 12

135 x 10

160 x 6

180 x 6

200 x 5

180 x 3

160 x 8

200x5 good job man.....I hope to be doing that in a month or so man.......keep it going bro.......

Feb 15, 2005

45 x 13

95 x 12

135 x 10

160 x 6

180 x 6

200 x 5

180 x 3

160 x 8

200x5 good job man.....I hope to be doing that in a month or so man.......keep it going bro.......

It took me years to get to this point, and you may get to it within a month! You have incredible potential, but please be careful until you become used to the heavier wrist curls- injury is always around the corner. But you may well reach 300 with consistency!

Feb 15, 2005

45 x 13

95 x 12

135 x 10

160 x 6

180 x 6

200 x 5

180 x 3

160 x 8

It took me years to get to this point, and you may get to it within a month! You have incredible potential, but please be careful until you become used to the heavier wrist curls- injury is always around the corner. But you may well reach 300 with consistency!

Ohhhh.....I did not mean to disrespect you in anyway....I did not know your age nor your history....and yes i will try to be care full......I have no desire to hurt myself......I am only 17 i have many years ahead of me......I would like to keep them as injury free as I can!!.......200x5 is what i will shoot for and when I reach it I will be all the more excited to keep going and hitting the wrist curls harder!!!......also I found my bench is also a great holder for my bar which is awesome and makes it much easier to do my wrist curls......and sorry again I did not mean to disrespect you in anyway man......and once again keep at it and good luck......

2-15-05

40kgx10

57.5kg x 3

67.5kg x 3

77.5kg x 3

85kg x 0: barely got parallel, that last triple took everything I had so I knew the single would be ugly

drop set 40kgx17 reps

Reverse wrist curls

bar x 8 (45lbs)

50x8

50x7

*weights don't include bar

**two weeks ahead of schedule for triples

***one week behind schedule on singles

Feb 15, 2005

45 x 13

95 x 12

135 x 10

160 x 6

180 x 6

200 x 5

180 x 3

160 x 8

Ohhhh.....I did not mean to disrespect you in anyway....I did not know your age nor your history....and yes i will try to be care full......I have no desire to hurt myself......I am only 17 i have many years ahead of me......I would like to keep them as injury free as I can!!.......200x5 is what i will shoot for and when I reach it I will be all the more excited to keep going and hitting the wrist curls harder!!!......also I found my bench is also a great holder for my bar which is awesome and makes it much easier to do my wrist curls......and sorry again I did not mean to disrespect you in anyway man......and once again keep at it and good luck......

Kyle,

I did not interpret your post as disrespectful- I simply meant that I wish I had had your potential when I began- I hope you blow by 300 soon! I compete only with myself but it is fun being a part of this goal.

When I was your age injury was simply another word in the dictionary. Now, I know injury's cousins and uncles and have been to their houses :D

Best of luck and progress to you!

Joe

Thanks.....yeah an injury is the last thing I want.....I hope I blow by 300 aswell......if I can get it early and before I turn 20 I hope I hope I can hit 400 and then keep going and going.......and I mostly compete with myself as well......but this comp and my goals mesh together so well that it would be ashame if I didn't try to hop on in this competition.....I wish everyone the best of luck in this goal setting challenge

I have a quick question-IN my gym they have a short straight bar that weighs about 30 lbs...can I use something like that for better balance or is that cheating? This thread has intrigued me as I have only ever done standing behind the back wrist curls and will have to try these out.

BTW w/o ever trying this lift I can tell that the numbers posted here are good lifts :bow . Good luck getting to 300+

Good question Shane. I wouldn't call it cheating but like you said it's definetly easier due the balance. I believe Sixgun does at least some of his wrist curls on a center loaded bar which takes a lot of the balance factor out. Nobody in this challenge is a real stickler for rules, we're all just trying to push each other to 300lbs. I'm sure once we get further along and some of us post some videos we'll see we all do them a little different. Hope you join in!

Good question Shane.  I wouldn't call it cheating but like you said it's definetly easier due the balance.  I believe Sixgun does at least some of his wrist curls on a center loaded bar which takes a lot of the balance factor out.  Nobody in this challenge is a real stickler for rules, we're all just trying to push each other to 300lbs.  I'm sure once we get further along and some of us post some videos we'll see we all do them a little different.  Hope you join in!

by the end of this year......if I am close to 300 pounds i will post a video so all believe cause how many of you would believe that a 17 year old dude could wrist curl 300 pounds with no prior lifting background..... :happy ......so it will be interesting to see what happens here.......good luck to all :rock

Wed, 16 Feb 05

Center Loaded Wrist-curls (Swingbells):

105x 5, 5. 145x (cards) 3, 2, 4, 11, 7, 5, 11, 14 = 57 reps

Leverage work: 3 & 6 pound sledge hammers. All four angles, many sets and reps.

It has been 4 weeks since I took my max. I got 185 for 1 rep, and, as I reported then, it felt fine. Nice and smooth. I had more in me but I WILL NOT push near the threshold of injury during this event. Anyway, 2 more weeks and I will take another max providing that I feel like it at the time.

Since the last max, I increased the sets from 6 to 8 and upped the working poundage from 135 to 145. Tonight I felt really strong! Just as I expected to feel from the adjustments that I made. If I continue feeling this way, I will max in 2 weeks as planned.

Dave...

Wed, 16 Feb 05

Center Loaded Wrist-curls (Swingbells):

105x 5, 5.  145x (cards) 3, 2, 4, 11, 7, 5, 11, 14 = 57 reps

Leverage work:  3 & 6 pound sledge hammers.  All four angles, many sets and reps.

It has been 4 weeks since I took my max.  I got 185 for 1 rep, and, as I reported then, it felt fine.  Nice and smooth.  I had more in me but I WILL NOT push near the threshold of injury during this event.  Anyway, 2 more weeks and I will take another max providing that I feel like it at the time.

Since the last max, I increased the sets from 6 to 8 and upped the working poundage from 135 to 145.  Tonight I felt really strong!  Just as I expected to feel from the adjustments that I made.  If I continue feeling this way, I will max in 2 weeks as planned.

Dave...

Why do you feel it neccesary to do lots of reps......are you more endurance oriented......cause I love strenght and it seems you love reps.......can you tell me what you see in them

Kyle,

I have covered "High-reps" many times in past posts. But quickly, They DO build strength! As you will see during this challenge.

Dave...

Kyle,

I have covered "High-reps" many times in past posts.  But quickly, They DO build strength!  As you will see during this challenge.

Dave...

ok just seems to me that you could do more....but I see high reps low weight.....I feel your more likely to get a injury doing more reps cause you may concentrate less.....i dunno....w/e works for you i guess