Top Posters In This Topic

Feb 18, 2005:

It was a grand morning for progress!

45 x 13

95 x 12

135 x 10

160 x 6

180 x 2

200 x 10 (almost did not make the tenth rep)

170 x 10

135 x 6 declines

From experience I know that when I can do 200 for 10 reps that I can usually get one or two reps with 225 (not if I do the 200 x 10 in that workout though). But next workout I will bump up my max set to 210 lbs and try for as many reps as I can get- hopefully 5 or 6.

Little JOE WAS VERY PLEASED THIS MORNING!

200x10  WOW :bow

Agreed :bow I hope I can hit them weights soon......I love this stuff......I love the wrist curl behind the back style.....ever since I seen this post and tried them now I look forward to doing them........ :rock Keep it going guys were pushing eachother to new hieghts!!! :laugh

Quick question I keep hearing about this Josh Bigger guy.......I hear he has quite he impressive wrist roller poundages.......does anyone know how much he wrist curls....??? I'll do a search when I get home....

Joe,

Great job, man! Way to go!

Dave...

Sat, 19 Feb 05

Dean Dockery was supposed to come out for the monthly armwrestling session, but he had a death in the family. Everyone pray for Sean and his family. I went ahead and had my Hand & Arm workout. Here is the Wrist-curl portion.

DB. W-curls: 50'sx 20-20, 20-20.

70'sx 18-18.

Leverage work: 3 & 6 pound Sledge hammers, all 4 angles, many sets and reps.

*Swingbell Wrist-curl holds: 215x 3 sets for a count of 10.

*Swingbell in just a term used to describe the center loaded barbell that I use. I have added the holds to the workout just to get my wrists accustomed to heaver weight. That way, as I climb upward in weight with my full reps, the wrists will be prepared for the increases. After all, half the battle to becoming stronger is simply the muscles adapting to heavier weights. I just pick up the barbell as I would to complete a rep, but I just hold it right at parallel.

Dave...

Correction to aboved post. Sean Dockery was the one coming out to the house, not Dean (They should make the keys on these boards bigger).

Also, I meant to say that the Heavy Swingbell holds prepares the Tendons and ligaments for heavier weight - not the muscles.

Dave...

2-21-05

Barbell Wrist Curls

40kg x 10

57.5kg x 3

67.5kg x 3

77.5kg x 2: the second one slipped and I almost had to do a full finger roll, just ruined my set

87.5kg x0 all out attempt for 5 seconds

87.5kgx0 all out attempt for 5 seconds

70kg x 4

70kg x 2

40kgx12 then set it down for 2 seconds and did 2 more, then set it down for 2 more seconds and got 1 more

*weights don't include bar

** one week ahead of schedule on triples

***two weeks behind schedule on singles

****every time I miss my single I'm going to drop it down to 199 and do some work. If I miss the single next week I'm going to do at least 7 total reps with 70kg

Extensor stuff

DB reverse Wrist curl: RH: 20x5,6, 7 LH: 20x5, 7,7

Standing reverse wrist curl on bar on cable set up: 40x10x7

Feb 22, 2005:

45 x 13

95 x 10

135 x 6

160 x 6

185 x 3

210 x 6

185 x 3

135 x 10 x 2 declines

On Feb 24 I plan a light workout, the non Feb 28 I will repeat the above workout, but try to get more than 6 reps with 210.

I have been wondering how much range of motion you use. Does the bar go down as far as possible or is it from a paralell up. I'm new to the wrist curl training. It's something I have not done much of and know little about.

I have been wondering how much range of motion you use. Does the bar go down as far as possible or is it from a paralell up. I'm new to the wrist curl training. It's something I have not done much of and know little about.

Gary,

If you are asking me, then for the heavy reps I stop at just below parallel- for lighter weights 160 or below, full range.

When I go for a max single to report it as a max single, then full range with closed hand (no fingertip rolling, which I consider a waste of time for my purposes).

In today's workout, I know I could have made a couple of reps full range with 210 if I had not wanted to get the 6 at just below parallel.

Using the cross pad on the bench is a perfect guide- if the bar touches the bench while my hands are on top of the pad- that is in fact full range for my wrists. I think sometimes people (not you) think that full range means the wrist/top of the hand- is at a right angle to the forearm. I can only go half that distance.

210x6....wow, you're killin' the rest of us!

Gary, I go full range with a closed hand as well (thumbless grip). I straddle the end of a utility bench, pick the barbell up from the floor, place my wrists on the end of the bench, and then wrist curl. Picking up the barbell from the floor and placing my wrists is done pretty quickly, it's not all one motion or anything but I definetly don't putz around doing it.

I agree with what Roark said about the right angle of the wrist. My wrist doesn't even bend back that far. I go as full ROM as I can with the thumbless, closed fist, but it's not a right angle.

When the weight is heavy full range feels very dangerous. My wrist about maybe 30 deg back and maybe 45 up if I'm holding a barbell but 90 deg. up if I spin my hand tward the pinky. As you curl the wrist up it naturally goes that way. Or at least mine does.

I would say with a near max. I'm getting just below parralell and about twice the distance the other way.

Roark, when you use a thick bar what size are you using? I can't feel much difference between a 3" and a standard bar.

When the weight is heavy full range feels very dangerous. My wrist about maybe 30 deg back and maybe 45 up if I'm holding a barbell but 90 deg. up if I spin my hand tward the pinky. As you curl the wrist up it naturally goes that way. Or at least mine does.

I would say with a near max. I'm getting just below parralell and about twice the distance the other way.

Roark, when you use a thick bar what size are you using? I can't feel much difference between a 3" and a standard bar.

I have been using a 1.75" diameter bar, but after I got used to it, I agree- I cannot tell much difference. But my recent workouts have been on a standard bar.

Wed, 23 Feb 05

Tonight was my scheduled max night. I was only going to do a max if I felt like it. I did. It went like this.

Swingbell W-curls (just another name for the Center Loaded Barbell Wrist curls that I have been doing): 105x 5-5. 135x 3. 160x 3. *185x1.

200x 1. ***210x1.

Leverage work: 3 & 6 pound Hammer, all 4 angles, many sets and reps.

* My last one-rep max done on 26 Jan 05.

*** My new current one-rep max. The 210 went about an inch below parallel and up in a strong, very full hook position. I felt that I may have had another 10 or 15 pounds in me, but I am in no hurry. I have all year. As I have said already, I am not going to injure myself.

After the last max, I increased my working weight by 10 pounds and I increased the volume by two sets. I feel that those changes gave me a very strong base to launch my new current max from. This time, I think I feel strong enough to increase the weight by 20 pounds - from 145 to 165 - and I will stay with the cards for 8 sets (High volume-many reps). If I struggle in any way with the 165 at the high reps, I will drop back to 155 or maybe even 145, but I don't think there will be a problem.

Dave...

Edited by sixgun

Dave, EXCELLENT!! Going past 200 !

My workout schedule was changed this week- I worked out this morning instead of tomorrow, and I did not feel like doing lots of reps, so I went for a max single.

Feb 24, 2000:

45 x 13

95 x 10

135 x 10

160 x 3

180 x 2

200 x 1

220 x 1

230 x 1 (barely, and would probably not pass the judges' eyes- but it felt good!)

200 x 2

160 x 6

135 x 10 declines

I will try to workout Feb 26- otherwise my next workout will be next week.

Congrats again, Dave!

Congrats on that 230lber :rock

:bow:bow:bow I am going to pass you some day Mastah!!!! :)

Joe,

Thanks! Nice job on the 230. My next max will be in about 6 weeks. I will go for 235 if the training goes well.

Dave...

Edited by sixgun

Feb 26, 2005

I knew it would not be a good workout because I should have waited until tomorrow or Monday- but circumstances do not allow that, so under the questionable motive of something is better than nothing, I plodded through my workout:

45 x 13

95 x 10

135 x 10

160 x 6

185 x 3

210 x 4 (that was IT- no hope of making the 5th rep)

185 x 6

135 x 10 x 2 declines

Next workout will be Tuesday or Wednesday, and I am hoping to get back on track.

Joe,

Nice workout. Might have been a bad one for you, but it looks strong to me. Also, I'm interested in those declines that you do. Do you think that they help in the over-all scheme of building strength or do you just like them? I intend on giving them a try.

Dave...