2005 Wrist Curl Challenge . . .

austinslater

My haphazard training continues.

On June 11 I stayed with 150 for 3 sets of 10.

Then this morning (using the 1.75" diameter bar that Kim gave me, which weighs about 37 lbs empty, so I add 15 lbs and though it is 52 lbs then, I say 50 just for easier math):

50 x 12

100 x 10

150 x 10

170 x 5

190 x 1

210 x 2

160 x 10

160 x 10

160 x 5 (could not get ten, so I will stay at 160 until I can get 3 sets of 10)

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave H

• jad

• Roark

• austinslater

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe and Josh,

Nice numbers, guys. This is fun! You guys are great training partners! I seem to have crashed, though for now. I'm going to have to take it easy for a few weeks.

As far as the type of bar I am using, I have started putting the plates back on the outside, or the ends of the bar, so I guess it's more typical of the standard bar rather than the swing-bell type I started with.

Dave...

Wednesday, 15 June, 05

Barbell-curls: 105x 5, 5. 155x 5, 5. 175x 5, 15, 10 = 30 reps.

Standing Inside DB. W-curls. 50'sx 20-20, 20-20, 20-20.

Leverage work: 4.25 & 8.5 pound sledge hammers, all 4 angles,

many sets & reps.

I am in a rut. Energy levels way down. Working long hours at my jobs and around the place. I had a half-ass workout tonight, as you can tell by the numbers and the volume. Oh well.

Dave...

I am in a rut.  Energy levels way down.  Working long hours at my jobs and around the place.  I had a half-ass workout tonight, as you can tell by the numbers and the volume.  Oh well.

Dave...

You are doing what you have to do with work etc.

You had a great run on this cycle, and you will have many more. The light

stuff is just what you need.

Good luck,

T!

Am hitting my former stride after a three month health setback.

June 17, 2005 thickbar wrist curls:

50 x 13

100 x 10

150 x 10

180 x 1

200 x 1

220 x 1 (to see how it felt)

220 x 3

160 x 10 for three sets

Next workout I will move up to 165 for my 3 sets at 10 and remain there until I succeed.

looks like your all hitting some big numbers now, keep it up :bow

Yep! Joe's BACK!

Good job, my friend. And I'm glad you are well.

Dave...

6-20-05

Great job Joe, way to come back strong!

135x10

190x3

215x3

235x2...bar got lopsided on me so I missed the third one

255x0x0...parallel on the first and slightly less on the second

225x2

225x0 bar got lopsided on me

185x10

Reverse wrist curl

40x12

50x10

60x5

* I think I'm going to try and make sure I'm using the same brand 45's on each side from now on. Maybe the different brands and thus different sizes of 45's are what keeps getting me lopsided

jad, good numbers!

Dave, if you are in a slump, it is a very high level slump!

Jun 21, 2005

50 x 15

100 x 10

150 x 10

180 x 2

200 x 1

220 x 1

230 x 1

165 x 10 for three sets, so next workout my 3 sets of 10 weight will move up to 170. I have a hunch, based on this morning's workout, that I will be at 170 for a few workouts before I can progress another 5 lbs. That's okay, As an ironworker friend of mine says, 'Hey, I'm just glad to be participating!'.

By the way, I do the heavy singles as a warmup for my 165- which feels much lighter after the singles :D I am not trying to max out on a heavy single- just using them as a warmup, although this morning 230 was all I could have done, and it is a good thing and showed great foresight on my part that I dusted the bar and plates before I tried it. :laugh

Josh, I think you are right about having the same type of plate in the same position on each side of the bar. I think when you you do this, the bar will level out for you.

Joe, those are nice numbers, man. And yea, after some heavy singles like you were posting, the lighter ones does feel lighter. Also, I'm going to have to remember to knock the dust off myself. Maybe then I can hit my PR's. LOL.

cjcocn,

Yea, they are addicting aren't they?

Dave...

June 25, 2005:

Things with well this morning.

60 x 12

110 x 10

160 x 10

190 x 1

220 x 4 (did not fail, but it was a warmup for):

170 x 10

170 x 10

170 x 10

I had not expected to get ten reps on set two or three, so that was a great and happy surprise.

Next workout I will jump my 3 x 10 poundage to 175.

What is working for me currently is an every fourth day session like the above.

My best ever is 6 reps with 225, so I am on schedule to return to that in a few weeks, but I learned from Sixgun that the higher reps with lower (but substantial) weight is what matters. I suspect when I am able to get 3 x 10 with 200 that my best single rep should be 250. But that is a long way off.

One cautious step at a time :D

joe its good to have you back moving the big weigh again.

Nice work, Joe.

Dave...

6-28-05

135x10

185x3...this was supposed to be 190 but I wasn't quite awake yet :blush

215x3

235x3

255x1 PR PTL :bow:bow

Finally got that 255 and nailed my triple again at 235. I matched the plates and that helped since everything stayed pretty balanced. I think I'm going to back off and use some lighter weights for higher reps for a couple of weeks. The little bone, where my wrist meets my palm, opposite my thumb, hurt pretty good after the 255 and it wasn't the good hurt.

Rush workout this morning; grandchildren are here, so priorities, you know :D

60 x 14

110 x 10

160 x 10

190 x 1

215 x 1

230 x 1

then I dropped back for my 3 sets of 10 with 175.

I knew I would not be able to get 3 of 10 with this weight today, so after my first set of ten I realized I had 185 not 175. So I dropped back to 175 for the final 2 sets of 10.

Next workout I will move up to 180 for 3 sets of 10 and stay at that weight until I succeed.

Now, grandchildren: the real workout! :laugh

I have kind of joined you guys if you check out my workout log this was my first wrist curl workout that I will do with my bending.

Barbell wrist curls

130=5reps

170=2reps

185=6reps

205=1rep

205=1rep

230=1rep

230=1rep

180=15reps

Questions

What is the easiest bar to wrist curl on and what is the hardest.

If you can max say for example 250 on barbell wrist curls what would you guys guess your one arm dumbell wrist curl max would be.

Do you guys use a reg grip when wrist curling or a thumbless.

I would like to here answers from all of you to get your opinions.

Many thanks guys. Later

Patrick

Edited by patrick

Questions

What is the easiest bar to wrist curl on and what is the hardest.

If you can max say for example 250 on barbell wrist curls what would you guys guess your one arm dumbell wrist curl max would be.

Do you guys use a reg grip when wrist curling or a thumbless.

I would like to here answers from all of you to get your opinions.

Many thanks guys. Later

Patrick

Glad you joined the fun! :mosher

I only do mine on a 7ft Oly barbell so I don't know how it compares to the swingbell or shorter bars. The challenge with the 7fter is keeping everything balanced, especially when nearing your max, just a little wobble is huge.

No idea on your second question, my gym only goes up to 100lbers on the DBs. I would guess you could do at least half for the simple reason you won't have the balance issues to deal with.

I use a thumbless grip, while making sure not to grip the bar too tightly as it will interfere with your wrist curling up. It took me a while to figure this one out :blush

I really have not noticed any difference in the standard Barbell Wrist-curls and the Swingbell Wrist-curls as far as the weight I am able to use.The shorter Swingbell bar is easier to move around in my home gym. It easily rolls right up under my table or bench and out of the way when I am done.

As far as the Dumb-bell question goes, the two are not really comparable. I have done 30 reps with a 100 pound DB with both my right and left hands. That has never worked out to 200 for 30 with both. Reason: The DB is naturally held in a different position - a more comfortable position - than the BB W-curls. Because the Barbell will keep your wrists in an uncompromising position and it is tuffer to do.

I always use the regular grip. Thumbs over the top.

Dave...

it seems that there may be some inconsistency here. is everyone counting the weight of the bar in their calculations of the amounts lifted??? whether you are or not, the quoted weights seem insane and are making me feel very insecure. nobody has wrist damage?? the comments on this site have caused grip mania in my office and at my golf club. it could be the start of the era or wrist curls, an exercise i have done for years for golf....in the meantime, between my unrestrained gripping, band work, and wrist curling, i can't open the door to my car.

quote of the day "could i be that weak?"

it seems that there may be some inconsistency here.  is everyone counting the weight of the bar in their calculations of the amounts lifted???  whether you are or not, the quoted weights seem insane and are making me feel very insecure.  nobody has wrist damage??  the comments on this site have caused grip mania in my office and at my golf club.  it could be the start of the era or wrist curls, an exercise i have done for years for golf....in the meantime, between my unrestrained gripping, band work, and wrist curling, i can't open the door to my car.

quote of the day  "could i be that weak?"

Peter

The weights probably are insane for most folks, but these here are grip guys, so I have 0% doubt that they are moving that kind of weight. I subscribed to this topic as it not only provides excellent motivation for me, but also provides a great "measuring stick" in terms of what the "big boys" are moving.

I hear you about the place you are at :blush .... compared to the guys taking up the 2005 Wrist Curl Challenge I am but a babe in the woods.

Insane weights? .... maybe, but it is all relative .... just imagine where these guys will be by the end of 2005! :blink

it seems that there may be some inconsistency here.  is everyone counting the weight of the bar in their calculations of the amounts lifted???  whether you are or not, the quoted weights seem insane and are making me feel very insecure.  nobody has wrist damage??  the comments on this site have caused grip mania in my office and at my golf club.  it could be the start of the era or wrist curls, an exercise i have done for years for golf....in the meantime, between my unrestrained gripping, band work, and wrist curling, i can't open the door to my car.

I didn't count the bar when I was at the old gym because I was using a bumper plate set and the hassle of converting everything over from kgs was more work than I wanted to do. I just listed the weight plates used in KG. Currently, I'm counting everything and listing it in pounds. Hope this clears everything up. You should jump in, the more people, the more fun.

Peter

The weights probably are insane for most folks, but these here are grip guys, so I have 0% doubt that they are moving that kind of weight. I subscribed to this topic as it not only provides excellent motivation for me, but also provides a great "measuring stick" in terms of what the "big boys" are moving.

I hear you about the place you are at :blush .... compared to the guys taking up the 2005 Wrist Curl Challenge I am but a babe in the woods.

Insane weights? .... maybe, but it is all relative .... just imagine where these guys will be by the end of 2005! :blink

chris

i am not questioning their veracity either but i am pissed about it. unfortunately, i am impulsive so i will most likely snap my wrists off the end of the bench. last night, all of these middle age and old age white collar types were trying to close my 250s which, by the way, i can't close. gripping is like ping pong. everyone wants to give it a try.....

pete

quote of the day "could i be that weak?"

I didn't count the bar when I was at the old gym because I was using a bumper plate set and the hassle of converting everything over from kgs was more work than I wanted to do. I just listed the weight plates used in KG. Currently, I'm counting everything and listing it in pounds. Hope this clears everything up. You should jump in, the more people, the more fun.

thanks mark, i'll jump in once i get past the ridiculously weak level. i never viewed myself as weak, just average. i guess it's all a matter of perspective. i got five grippers two weeks ago and am a hair away from closing the two hundreds. i can't understand why i can't . maybe it's overtraining. i even bought a can of baby powder yesterday and now have powder all over my office and my clothes. i played nine holes of golf last night and my fingers were sore holding the club. in any event, it's time to go overtrain....

hopeful in philadelphia