Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Friday

I swear I get anxious 1-2 days before this session and then when it comes I kick ass.

Leg Press

single leg warm ups with sled only x 12 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 490-kilos x 8 reps (wraps on).

Pullover

10p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, stack plus 15-kilos x 6 reps

CG Bench

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 40-kilos a side x 8 reps, 60-kilos a side x 2 x 1 reps (touch and go but form better).

W/Roller

A/C/W: 40-kilos x 3 x 1 reps, 60-kilos x 3 x 1 reps, 101.25-kilos x 2 x 1 reps (s/s with max weight on C/W)

C/W: 65-kilos x 2 x 1 (see above)

Saturday

Pissed off. I decided to do 2-hand pinch and one hand deadlifts today and then take two days rest. Pinch was shit. Probably due to Wrist Roller work yesterday and so no more w/roller till after all competitions are done. Plus STICK TO THE Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ING PLAN!

1400-1700 (90 mins training the rest helping)

2-Hand Pinch

shit and not recorded

One Hand Deadlift

Good

2-Hand Pinch 2030-2130 on a Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing Saturday night

54mm setting

ok

49mm setting

better

I have been reading your log and I was wondering would you recommend doing one grip thing until your good at it or do a all around grip (thick bar, RT, Grippers, 2HP)

I've noticed at the beginning of your log you are pretty much amazing with the shit you do and there is no beginning so what would you recommend? Specialize in one thing or go for an all around grip?

Thanks man

I have been reading your log and I was wondering would you recommend doing one grip thing until your good at it or do a all around grip (thick bar, RT, Grippers, 2HP)

I've noticed at the beginning of your log you are pretty much amazing with the shit you do and there is no beginning so what would you recommend? Specialize in one thing or go for an all around grip?

Thanks man

Do what you like doing if you do not intend competing. But if you do - then all round is the only way to go.

If you look at all the best people I have competed against over the years barely one keeps a training log

That could just be due to laziness Steve.

A contradiction but not one that will change this log for now:

Monday pm

Grippers

warm up then to max

L/H:

R/H:

TTWC

Why is it a contradiction? Just because people train hard doesn't necessarily mean that they can be arsed to detail everything in a training log.

Make your mind up - you said it was due to laziness and them working hard in the gym and not doing something cos it is due to their being lazy is a contradiction - as the saying goes - in terms. I care not for the reason why. But feel that I give too much away by doing something others do not. A log takes a few seconds - 60 max - and acts a permanent record. You'll have seen many times those on the ladder to getting a 3 or similar grip heights have posted words of thanks in my log and in others.

By doing a log people can see how you trained without the need to pm's and emails asking how to do this and that. David gets these all the time. I'm sure you have - in fact I know you have as I have sent some to you for the very same reason. If we profess to wanting to help others by passing on our knowledge and wisdom a log is one place to start from.

However, I have people I am competing against and if they themselves are not prepared to post their logs I'm damned if I'll help them by posting mine. As you have said you wont be competing and have rarely put up sets and reps it should be of no consequence what I do or my reasons for doing so. If I hadn't put them in my log you wouldn't have known - makes you think doesn't it. :shifty

Wednesday

Seated Press

15-kilos e/s x 8 reps, 27.5-kilos e/s x 6 reps, 31.25-kilos e/s x 4 x 1 reps

R/THunder

Cable Curls

10p x 8 reps, stack x 8 reps, stack plus 10-kilos x 5 reps

Dips

bwt x 8 reps, plus 10-kilos x 8 reps, plus 32.5-kilos x 8 reps (just)

Pressdown

stack x 8 reps, plus 30-kilos x 6 reps

Thursday pm

Having waited all Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing day for 2 deliveries (oh yes what a waste of my bloody time that felt like) one finally arrived at 5.30pm. I'm still waiting on the one hand lift bar but my Ariston RD40 is here. Damn thing needs the tone arm setting (Alf!!! You're needed old bean - Alf has far more patience at setting such things up than I have). This meant I popped over at 6 to do some packing of orders and then back for a coffee which I drank while I did a few more. All this preceded an ass kicking skin tearing (photos taken) v-bar workout and some max gripper work.

V-Bar

Grippers x max.

Saturday

Took longer than I'd have liked but all in all an ok session - all on target

R/Thunder

One hand lift

Two hand pinch @ 49mm

No. It's a straight bar with a means of attaching a chain and handle to the centre and you lift the whole thing 2-inches or more clear off the floor. Anything over 300-kilos is world class.

Wednesday

Great session - v happy with it.

Gymnation - 0930 approx

One hand deadlift

Then off to unit for second half at about 1045

2 Hand Pinch @ 49mm

Friday

Happier with the TTWC than I was grippers. Not quite right for some reason.

Grippers

TTWC

BWT 19st 6lbs

Sunday

Two things helped: firstly it's just a few short weeks away from Theo's visit. Cannot let him beat me and secondly I took a cheap MP3 player with me and a little Hatebreed screaming their lungs out always helps.

Press

Decided to use machine today so

10p x 8 reps, then 6 reps each at the back, sides and front handles x 12p and 5 reps each with 14p

R/Thunder

Machine Cable Curls

10p x 8 reps, stack x 8 reps, stack plus 10-kilos x 6 reps

Dips

bwt (19st 5lbs after workout) x 8 reps, plus 10-kilos xx 8 reps and then with Hatebreed screaming 'you can-not fail ' and Louis with whom I have a 40-kilos challenge going watching I did 35-kilos x 5 reps

Tricep pressdown and then pushdown

stack x 8 reps, stack plus 30-kilos x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 5-6 then switched to push style and did another 4 reps. Then push style x 8 reps with 40-kilos added to the stack - felt like 50-kilos was a go if I wanted.

Got Alf to weigh himself - 20st 1lbs 8oz (281.5lbs). Yesterday I was the third heaviest at the unit when visiting Al weighed 322lbs and TT was 307lbs to my 271lbs. Strange being 3rd weighing 271...

I weigh around a measly 100kg. Once again, it's a David vs. Goliath match!

(it's about 3 weeks out ain't it? or about 3 weeks training and 1 rest.)

27 days. That's more or less 2 10 day cycles for me (takes me 10 days to go through my training cycle).

The main issue with bodyweight for you and me (never mind how short you are ha ha) is the same as when we last met (2005). It is, for others, that if we lift the same amount then he wins by virtue of bodyweight.

On form, according to David Horne I have the win but Theo will have been training hard to upset that.

The lifts annd my thoughts / predictions (Theo please post what you think):

Events running order.

1. Two Hands Pinch Lift

Theo and I seem, from our logs, both close on this. I think we will both be at around 100-kilos and it will be a very small difference which seperates us. Having it first is also different. I have made serious improvements since I last competed but Theo has made less. Still very close though.

2. One Hand Vertical Bar Lift

This is will be interesting. I have a better right hand total on form (162.9) but my hands are equal and I feel good for 160-kilos for one with both today, never mind 3 - 4 weeks. As above Theo and I have been neck and neck in the past. I would not consider it anything close to a shame if we both cracked 160-kilos perhand from the floor and tied again. Just doing a 320-kilo unofficial WR would make me happy and then having Theo do the same - well boo hoo. I can live with that.

3. One Hand Rolling Thunder Lift

I haven't lost on this for ages - years. And the last time was at least 4 years ago to David Horne (Jim Wylie and I pulled 117-kilos on an old handle thumbless I think to David Horne's 120+). Theo will have trained hard but I feel I will have this again by a few kilos. 90-95-kilos left with a possible wind behind me 100kg and 100-110kg or more right. Again I'll need to be nervous and edgy and get a proper squeeze and I'll be ok.

4. One Hand Deadlift using an Olympic Bar (No hook grip)

I have no idea about what Theo can do here but again I haven't lost for several years on any variation. That said if Chris James's was competiting and his log is anything to go by I am glad it's not in the British... phew! I would like to exceed 130 left handed and 150-kilos right on the day.

5. One Hand Grippers

On form I am ahead. Theo has a slightly better left hand but my right hand is well head so the double total is mine. My form is touch and go but in competition I do ok. My left hand has come on a little and so I think I can take this as well. However, it is AFTER 4 events and so the totals etc may be down. If we pace ourselves well and keep refreshed (coffee etc) we may be able to have the energy to kick some. Left may be 2.96-3.00 and 3.65 right. Grippers will be more affected by the deadlift than any of the others lifts by that which precedes them.

Obviously I can flabbergastenpoopy up but based on training and form I should win the last three and have an equal chance with Theo on the first two. He only has to knock one of the last three from my hand and it's a completely different outcome. If I take one of the first two then stay on form for the rest then it's all over. :D Of course we were paired as we are close and to make it interesting. So...

Edited by mobsterone

This is an interesting guesstimation!

First off, i'd like to say it's an honor that i'm being organized in a supermatch by DH and i'm going up against you, a very respectable man in the grip scene and probably outside of that too.

I feel like i'm still wet behind the ears, and now i'm already being put out there, that is just a blast! So whatever the outcome, i'm just happy i'm there!

But since there can only be one:

Two hand pinch, seeing the top guys getting 100+, i want 100+ and i think it's doable. Going by my progress, wich i think is actually pretty good with me being more consistent right now, i'm sure 95-100kg is possible. Steve is always very optimistic, and his last pulled 2hp result is 84,5kg (CoC and also the first event) (yes, i did my homework). I pulled 87kg and even did 88kg (not counting) at the LGC.

V-bar: Must say it had me worried a bit, but right now i'm on track. If i can get a 165kg pull right, and around a 150 left, i am mucho satisfied. Steve is doing major reps with heavy weight, but i really have no idea how this will pan out for him on contest day.

RT: Instead of dreaming, i might as well wake up from this one and hand it to him straight away, he isn't called the friggin' thickbar daddy just for laughs. As a side not, i expected you to pull 110-125kg.

I'm hoping for a 80-85 left, and a 90-95 right.

One hand deadlift: I think we are close on this one. Left i'm guessing a 130kg lift, and right, well since mobs filled in 150, i like to say 155kg! Haha! Realistically, i think 150kg would be attainable, but no more. My advantage of being short, comes in to play at this event. Let's see if i can exploit it to the fullest.

One hand grippers: Hard to say, since we have to put in a block, what will be distracting to say the least. Mobster is known for his endurance, hence the total amount of singles he's always doing. It showed at the Coc event, with him doing a straphold with a 3.5 gripper. Me, i'll beat him lefty, and pray for a nice righty.

All in all it will be a good match, and while Steve is probably the favour of taking the win, i'll be breathin down his neck like a pitbull, and hell, he may even give me a piggy back ride and before he knows it, the tables will have turned. ;)

My predictions for the vendetta:

I guess Theo will win the 2HP and the Vbar. Also I think Theo is stronger in grippers now (seeing his MM3 attempt), but if grippers are the last event, this may be an advantage for Steve, who can close big grippers also after a hard competition. RT will be Steve's event, no doubt. The one hand deadlift, I guess, will be close. I wouldn't be surprised, if the biggest weight in this lift will be pulled by Steve's right hand. Much depends on the left hands.

Let's put it this way if you are wet behind the ears it'll be because of your age. Which means I'm close to my maximum strength at 42 whereas you still have some strength to come at your age. The 2HP will be a lot closer than for suggests. My best in competition is exactly as you suggest. However, I am using the proper set up and all my recent numbers are on that. As an example yesterday we had some visitors to the unit including 3 lads from down Devon way. One worked up to 84-kilos and I, with no chalk on my hands (although there is plenty on the equipment) did the same - no warm up. I am confident that we are equal on this now and it is the first lift of the day.

On the RT I'd pull a hell of a lot more on an older handle but inspite of the one we'll be using have some wear and tear it still spins freely and so lower numbers must be expected.

On the V-bar if you what you say that is so close to 160 per hand as to be barely worth mentioning and a pretty fine total.

My predictions for the vendetta:

I guess Theo will win the 2HP and the Vbar. Also I think Theo is stronger in grippers now (seeing his MM3 attempt), but if grippers are the last event, this may be an advantage for Steve, who can close big grippers also after a hard competition. RT will be Steve's event, no doubt. The one hand deadlift, I guess, will be close. I wouldn't be surprised, if the biggest weight in this lift will be pulled by Steve's right hand. Much depends on the left hands.

I'd say read my log but I've kept my numbers of the board for a while now so that'll be no help ;) Trust me when I say V-bar is equal, left hand grippers have gone up as proved by the lst British championships and this places me ahead of Theo on form and one hand deadlift could be close if Theo is correct.

As for Theo, he's a good guy.

Let's put it this way if you are wet behind the ears it'll be because of your age. Which means I'm close to my maximum strength at 42 whereas you still have some strength to come at your age. The 2HP will be a lot closer than for suggests. My best in competition is exactly as you suggest. However, I am using the proper set up and all my recent numbers are on that. As an example yesterday we had some visitors to the unit including 3 lads from down Devon way. One worked up to 84-kilos and I, with no chalk on my hands (although there is plenty on the equipment) did the same - no warm up. I am confident that we are equal on this now and it is the first lift of the day.

On the RT I'd pull a hell of a lot more on an older handle but inspite of the one we'll be using have some wear and tear it still spins freely and so lower numbers must be expected.

On the V-bar if you what you say that is so close to 160 per hand as to be barely worth mentioning and a pretty fine total.

Fact is, that since you are 42 years, and still improving while being in the game this long, who knows what weights all be pulling come 42.. ;)

I know that 2HP will be close, and that my thing is made out of wood, knock knock. It has been always pretty accurate, but who knows.

RT, i trained pretty much my ass off, and worn handle or notm it's all good.

That last sentence i didn't quite understand.

Dunkster recently made him self a sheet steel covered wooden pinch block and I'll be asking him, once he's used it for a while, what sort of numbers he gets. Wood will hold chalk better than steel IMO and so may not always be an accurate indicator but I'm still sure we will be close.

V-Bar - it'll be closer than you think. Your suggested numbers will be less than mine but I think you are a little better than what your numbers suggest - my equal on the basis of previous form.

Re age - probably true as lifters buck the age trends by virtue of looking after themselves. Plus I have a great set up as you'll see. Better than before.

woops wrong thread.

Edited by DuTCH