Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

I just want to get the materials as soon as possible to accomplish my "2014 grip nationals road trip goals," which are all important. I still have my prize money on stash specifically for this purpose.

My recovery has been going slower than I'd like but faster than expected. I'm probably going to get back to calisthenics in early to mid August, so I should be ready to get back into some serious training by the time I return to law school (August 26). Plus, since the weights lifted are comparatively light, I don't think training grip (in August) risks further injury or slowing my recovery even if I'm exerting maximum effort.

I'll be in touch. I have some things to get done on Sunday, but I may have time for the shopping trip as well.

Congratulations on the 305XF deadlift. If you got it up 6" and had already done 285, you'll get it for sure next time if you skip such a heavy weight before hand. I'd do maybe 245-260 if you need a moderately heavy warm-up. Make sure you're adequately rested though. Deadlift isn't like other exercises. Even if you aren't sore, you may still be unable to pull heavy if you haven't had at least a week to recover.

Edited by Ivarboneless

7/25

-Did my first legitimate one arm pull up. Started from a dead hang, paused a second, and pulled my chin up and above the bar very slowly. This was with my left hand. Soon I'll be banging reps with both arms.

7/26

-Closed my 135# HG300 right handed MMS. Getting close to that #3!

• Like 3

OAP, daaaaaaaaaaang.

Great work on the gripper too.

I have an awesome 145# GM I could loan you. And an old narrow Elite which is in the 135-140 range (I should rate that thing). Weird gripper but great for training. The sweep is really mushy but then the close is tough because it is that thicker spring. But I seriously doubt it's over 140.

Interested? Getting you over 150 gripper is going to be crucial to getting 66kg Elite. Except you seem to have more potential to make up ground on the axle than I did.

Thanks Matt!

I don't think I have any need for the GM quite yet, and you do seem to favor that gripper in your own training.

Maybe I could use that to bridge to a 150# gripper after I get my MM0.

On the other hand, that narrow elite sounds great, and I think it'll be the perfect gripper to help me get there.

If I'm at 66k with a 150 gripper close, that would make it possible to even shoot for elite in a class above.

That would be awesome!

Thanks Matt!

I don't think I have any need for the GM quite yet, and you do seem to favor that gripper in your own training.

Maybe I could use that to bridge to a 150# gripper after I get my MM0.

On the other hand, that narrow elite sounds great, and I think it'll be the perfect gripper to help me get there.

If I'm at 66k with a 150 gripper close, that would make it possible to even shoot for elite in a class above.

That would be awesome!

What are you lifting on axle? I had a 158 gripper and 170s pinch logged and wasn't really threatening Elite status for even 66k.

I guess if the 66k Elite status was 630 then I would still would have needed a ~300 axle pull. I never really realized how much my back was limiting me in that respect. I think 280 was the most I pulled and that was a bad idea.

My current total is 559, which is right between the 530 requirement for 59k and 585 for 66k.

I could conceivably get 66k elite on a good day right now, with a 135 gripper/175 pinch/275 axle.

The requirement for 74k elite is 640, and I'm hoping my numbers would be 150/190/300 or around there in the 66k.

I'm most curious about my back strength keeping my axle down. I think that if my back is invincible, my hands would at least permit a 290 axle. I've lifted and held 280+ off the ground while my back decided to stop moving.

Gotta drink some milk and find out!

My current total is 559, which is right between the 530 requirement for 59k and 585 for 66k.

I could conceivably get 66k elite on a good day right now, with a 135 gripper/175 pinch/275 axle.

The requirement for 74k elite is 640, and I'm hoping my numbers would be 150/190/300 or around there in the 66k.

I'm most curious about my back strength keeping my axle down. I think that if my back is invincible, my hands would at least permit a 290 axle. I've lifted and held 280+ off the ground while my back decided to stop moving.

How did I miss 66k elite? I need to go back and check this out. I think I thought the total was the 640.

I would have only needed a ~257 axle for a 585 total in that class.

Sorry for hijacking. I will PM you about that Elite.

edit: Now I remember. And it dug up an old wound. This was at Adam's decathlon in April 2012, the only time I competed in 66kg. I pulled 166 on 2HP, posted 158 gripper, and 252 on axle. I had no awareness for the elite total....wasn't even thinking about it. I only needed 9 more pounds. But instead I jumped to 283# on axle and pulled it to my knees twice. ARRG! 252 was SOOO easy. I should have just gone for 261 but was not even thinking about the total. I spent all that time cutting to make weight at 66kg only to forget about it on contest day. The strangest things happen sometimes. I pulled 280 in September that year, but didn't make weight for 66kg. I think I was 148. Again, sorry for hijacking. :)

Nice hit elite in each weight class as you move up really cool. I think 74kg would be a great weight class for you and has a lot more competitors it seems if anything.

Damn Matt! I was wondering about that too while running the numbers earlier.

I had assumed that your 252 axle was right about when you started having back problems. But that makes sense.

I know that your back is pretty hurt now, but I wonder if you could total 1 handed elite? I'd really like to see you hit it some day.

Damn Matt! I was wondering about that too while running the numbers earlier.

I had assumed that your 252 axle was right about when you started having back problems. But that makes sense.

I know that your back is pretty hurt now, but I wonder if you could total 1 handed elite? I'd really like to see you hit it some day.

There's a 1 handed elite..?

Yes it's much more difficult to hit, I'd say.

For 66k it's 380#. This is 1H axle, 1H pinch, and gripper max.

You're only a bit off right now, with 125+75+158=358

I bet you could bump up the axle and it hopefully won't strain your back too much.

Nice hit elite in each weight class as you move up really cool. I think 74kg would be a great weight class for you and has a lot more competitors it seems if anything.

That's my plan. But the 74k does scare me a bit. Michael Hann, Brian Burgos, Darrin Shallman, and also that Eric Milfeld guy is planning top move down there...

Yes it's much more difficult to hit, I'd say.

For 66k it's 380#. This is 1H axle, 1H pinch, and gripper max.

You're only a bit off right now, with 125+75+158=358

I bet you could bump up the axle and it hopefully won't strain your back too much.

The hardest part about that for me would be cutting to 145 again. I have never really trained 1 hand axle. I don't know how hard it would be to get 147ish. Hmmm........CPW has been meaning to host a contest eventually......... :ph34r:

• Like 1

That'll be a contest with some really cool prizes. Drool...

I trained it a bit in preparation of AzCg, and pulled 136 while being 108.

So I'm sure 145-150 wouldn't be a problem for you.

Losing weight can suck.

• Like 1

Eric in the 74 kilogram class, what a monster. Consistency, experience, strategy, and serious strength all in one man dedicated to grip. If grip were a more famous sport, I dare say that Eric Milfeld would be a legend. Myeah, see? As long as Eric is around everyone else will always be second best, see?

Znosko, we've got to step it up. Looks like we need 155/200/340 to be in the ballpark.

Congratulations on your progress. You're making great gains. I see that your monkey arm is doing monkey things these days.

Mike, which ballpark are you talking about? The competitive 74k?

Thanks for the congrats. I was very happy to finally get that elusive one armer.

If you don't watch out, I may be threatening your grip prowess soon.

And maybe I'll start tapping you guys out soon, too.

I'm talking about competitive with Eric. You'd probably only need a 600lb total to be "competitive" at 74kilo because the other two events could make or break people. However, Eric totaled right around 700 (156.5/200+/343+). If he was in the same form, I think those numbers would have been 155/~200/~340 this year. The pinch apparatus seemed to allow less weight this year, but 200 looked conservative for Eric last year, and he should be good for 340s axle.

Protip:

You are probably already above me in bench, deadlift, squat, overhead press, pinch, axle, and a lot of other things at the present time. I am still unable to lift anything heavy due to my injury. Based on playing with some curls and crucifixes, I think roughly 90% of my strength is still hanging out with me, but I am unable to use it yet without pain.

I think it will be interesting to see who hits a 225lb bench and a 315lb deadlift first, me on recovery or you on the rise. I probably won't hit those numbers again until September unless my recovery progresses faster than it has been. I'm hoping to return to form by December for the WAL finals in NOLA, which I qualified for.

• Like 1

on the subject of 1 hand elite:

you could straddle for the 1hand axle, that should help take some stress off the back. I don't gain any extra pounds but, it feels easier.

how many weight classes are you planning on moving up through?

on the subject of 1 hand elite:

you could straddle for the 1hand axle, that should help take some stress off the back. I don't gain any extra pounds but, it feels easier.

how many weight classes are you planning on moving up through?

On one hand axle I have trouble keeping the bar level while straddling, and have been lifting in front of me.

The other day I floated 150 on a slick axle without much thought. Was trying to get the bar out of the way, and I realized how much weight it was.

I plan on moving up to 66k. Eventually, I may find myself in the 74k, but that would be the end of the road for me.

7/27-C4W1D1

DL

165x2x2

215x2

245x2

300xFx2

Ab Wheel

3x10

Notes: got lazy and skipped week 4 last cycle. I liked the rest.

On the first attempt at 300, I pulled the bar at least to knee level and got stuck because my back was out of position. My knees locked prematurely. But it felt light, and my hands (double overhand) could still chilling very comfortably with the weight.

I tried a second attempt since I was so close, but I was very fried from the previous attempt and didn't even get a lift.

Misc. Grip

7/29

#2x5

GNC200x3 (1" block)

#2.5x1

HG300xF (1mm open BH)

NSMxNx2

#2x3

7/30

MGDL-240#

Just locked out. 10# PR!

=275 Axle

7/29-C4W1D2

Press

70x5

80x5

90x6 (CM=108)

90x9 (CM=117... that's more like it)

Pull ups

3x10

7/30

Did my first RH one arm pull up. Did it back to back with a good left handed single.

• Like 1