Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

The first one looked pretty close to me, and watching in HD slow-mo I think there was a brief touch.

Also major internet points for the cat shirt.

Thanks! I really wish the second video wasn't crap, cause that one felt great.

I have a collection of cat shirts, and will wear one for every MM0 attempt I make!

I think a tri-pod would have helped a lot in filming. You could also just make some test videos with a easy gripper to get the filming angles right.

Well done Yori!

Great job Yori!

Cupcake quality close! Exceptional feat for your size!

Thank you gents. It's been a long time coming.

I think a tri-pod would have helped a lot in filming. You could also just make some test videos with a easy gripper to get the filming angles right.

I have three tripods and should make use of them. Maybe I will experiment and see if it'll be better documenting a gripper close that way. I have Michael and my gf, tiff, as my usual camera-people. Unfortunately, the new camera was an added variable so it confounded and muddled the outcomes a bit.

Big respect man!

A tripod is always nice, also not touching the zoom buttons too much helps!

Great job!

(edited after another view of the video's)

Since I have a nice pistol grip tripod, it might be best for the quality and stabilization if I get my lady to operate the camera on the tripod.This discussion is giving me ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Two days ago: attempted my #3 cold, and squeezed it to 1mm.

Today: grabbed my GHP6 (136#) and shut it from a deep set. First time these handles touched, and it felt easy. I grabbed my block to block set it shut... then I heard my gf being attacked by our cat (who has been acting the devil recently, because I cat-sit for a co-worker and she's trying to establish dominance). The cat was growing like a panther and was assaulting the lady, and with no spray bottle to punish her with, I threw the GHP6 at my cat's butt. Then I grabbed her while she kangaroo kicked my hands, tearing them up with her claws and shrieking like a rabid wombat. By the time I tossed her into the bathroom and shut the door, she had done her damage and my grip session was over after just one single. I lost about an ounce of blood onto the floor and had quite a few scratches. Happy New year's eve!

• Like 1

Two days ago: attempted my #3 cold, and squeezed it to 1mm.

Today: grabbed my GHP6 (136#) and shut it from a deep set. First time these handles touched, and it felt easy. I grabbed my block to block set it shut... then I heard my gf being attacked by our cat (who has been acting the devil recently, because I cat-sit for a co-worker and she's trying to establish dominance). The cat was growing like a panther and was assaulting the lady, and with no spray bottle to punish her with, I threw the GHP6 at my cat's butt. Then I grabbed her while she kangaroo kicked my hands, tearing them up with her claws and shrieking like a rabid wombat. By the time I tossed her into the bathroom and shut the door, she had done her damage and my grip session was over after just one single. I lost about an ounce of blood onto the floor and had quite a few scratches. Happy New year's eve!

Sounds like just the beginning of any good grip workout to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Got curious, pulled axle. 248lbs, and my hands were ready to give. It felt like an off day, but maybe I should start training thickbar again.

MM0 first though!

Got in a planche position with a band setup assisting my leg lift. Attached was a hanging dynamometer to help me measure the amount of assistance used. Right now, I need about 15-20lbs of help, measured from my ankles, in order to keep a straight legged planche for 3 seconds. Hoping to see this number shrink as I work more isometrics.

Also, contrary to that thought I'm also thinking about working planche presses as a dynamic because I may respond better to that.

Working grippers, and closing the GHP6(136#) from MMS. The set is harder than my #3, the close easier. LH is sometimes block setting my #2.5(123#) and almost always MMSing it. Need to keep regularly training grippers.

• Like 3

Glad to see that you've finally started up a log here, I look forward to following it.

Ditto.

You know...if you hit those goals, you'd be deadly on the Sasuke course. - "anw"nate

Haven't quite hit the goals yet, but I'm going to start training for ANW. I don't know how far I'll get, but it'll be a great journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael came over on the 29th and we hit some grip and gymnastics. Got some coaching on the planche and front lever.

Also hit some gripper holds and axle. I've been training planche and front lever alternately every day this week.

My planche is progressing in the amount of lean used, and I'm almost at adv. tuck. I can hold a single legged front lever for 10+ seconds for multiple sets now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

2/12

Michael came over and we hit grip and gymnastics.

Made some attempts on my #3 from a super deep set, but missed with 1/8-1/4" to spare.

Planche isometrics and front lever training as usual, also hit a 257# Axle with no warmup. This nearly matches my best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some great work here Yori, obviously it's been a very long while since I last kept up with your training, but judging from your posts over the past 4 months you've made a lot of progress - particularly in grippers and your overall strength too. Good luck for the MM0!! Some really solid work on your 3 (camera quality seems really good too, nice buy).

How's the handstand coming along? I'll try and post a video soon of mine, along with my current FL (think you're a bit more advanced than I am with that - I can do single leg extension but not for 10s and definitely not for sets).

Some great work here Yori, obviously it's been a very long while since I last kept up with your training, but judging from your posts over the past 4 months you've made a lot of progress - particularly in grippers and your overall strength too. Good luck for the MM0!! Some really solid work on your 3 (camera quality seems really good too, nice buy).

How's the handstand coming along? I'll try and post a video soon of mine, along with my current FL (think you're a bit more advanced than I am with that - I can do single leg extension but not for 10s and definitely not for sets).

Man, my handstand sucks! I bend my arms too much and can't maintain a hollow position. Progress was very slow for the two months that I trained it every day.

Have you ever trained planche? I got my feet off the ground from a straddle for the first time today!

I found that training up against a wall with my stomach to the wall helped with the hollow position a bit (although mine still isn't great at all, but it did improve from where it used to be). In terms of planche, I was working on it a little a couple of years back but didn't make much headway and fell away from training it. Never got past advance tuck. Hoping to get back to doing it soon though, need to wait for my shoulder to heal up properly though.

I found that training up against a wall with my stomach to the wall helped with the hollow position a bit (although mine still isn't great at all, but it did improve from where it used to be). In terms of planche, I was working on it a little a couple of years back but didn't make much headway and fell away from training it. Never got past advance tuck. Hoping to get back to doing it soon though, need to wait for my shoulder to heal up properly though.

Dude, advanced tuck feels super hard.

I can't fully do an adv. tuck yet, which is a bit strange because I'm as close to getting that as I am the next progression up (straddle).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been greasing the groove with one arm chins. Happy to say that I have gained the ability to pull them off very consistently.

But damn am I sore. Most notably, my triceps and pecs are super strained. I didn't know that OACs used them this much.

My back is also sore, but it's funny to me that my biceps aren't at all.

Backwards from my reasoning.

Been greasing the groove with one arm chins. Happy to say that I have gained the ability to pull them off very consistently.

But damn am I sore. Most notably, my triceps and pecs are super strained. I didn't know that OACs used them this much.

Between the planche, back and front levers sounds like a lot of shoulder stress. The pecs are a secondary mover to the shoulders.... make sure that you're still getting lots of prehab. That's pretty sick that you're pulling them off so easily now congrats!!!

Between the planche, back and front levers sounds like a lot of shoulder stress. The pecs are a secondary mover to the shoulders.... make sure that you're still getting lots of prehab. That's pretty sick that you're pulling them off so easily now congrats!!!

Thanks bro! It's been a long journey.

Especially with the grippers I've been setting, that gives tons of shoulder strain too.

Thanks bro! It's been a long journey.

Especially with the grippers I've been setting, that gives tons of shoulder strain too.

True true... hope you get everything in good health my friend!

So, I've closed my #3.

My block set has also increased, I PRed with a HG300 rated at 135lbs.

My bodyweight is fluctuating around 140.

Tried bent press out of the blue, and finally got a PR with my 80lb dumbbell in bad form. Haven't practiced this lift in years, but my body can move more weight now that it's heavier.

Tried deadlifting. Got 280, which is 5lbs less than my all time best. I'm going to go for 300 with a vengeance again. It'll be necessary to get my axle there.

Also, tried axle. Loaded up to 277 with a brief warm up. Got it almost a foot off the ground. This would've been a 10lb PR. I'll keep trying.

I'm thinking about testing my pinch tonight. Weighted pull ups are also on the menu.

Short term training focus will be getting my form perfected on DL and getting a 300 axle, finally getting my MM0, and training planche and lifting actual weights again (in contrast to the gymnastics I've been doing).