matek's training log

matek

Self-reflection on recent (~2 months) progress. I've decided to do these summaries from time to time. 

Grippers (RH) - medium progress
I changed how I train grippers, and I gained about 4-5 RGC MMS. It was narrower than an MMS, but I did close my RGC 165 Cobalt. I just need to continue what I'm doing. Progress is relatively slow because of all the other stuff I'm doing - but this slow progress is steady. One thing I'm not sure of is what cert I should go for. GHP #7 (block set) for reps, maybe. Or maybe the #8 if I find one below 170 haha. 

Pinch - minor progress/stagnation
I improved a little bit on the 60mm block, very little, though. Couldn't lift 80 lbs relatively well rested (lifted 79 with RH multiple times). 
No notable progress on the 80mm pinch block or blobs. I don't care much about the block, but I thought I would already conquer the KWN50 by now. One thing I learned is that there is almost no meaning in putting weights on my KWN40. The problem is not the weight but the width. So I've been doing mainly assisted lifts with my RH, but it seems like one pinch session per week is just not enough for me. I'm really not talented in pinch, so I need to work harder/more. Btw I think the weak link is my thumb. 

Thick bar - minor progress
I only gained a few pounds on the Fat Gripz deadlift, but I wasn't doing thick bar enough to make significant progress. So it's ok. By the way, I don't think I got stronger, but I changed how I grab the bar a little. Probably because of my powerlifting background, but I never thought about doing a slight wrist flexion while doing double overhand deadlifts (thumbless is different, of course). But discussing inch trainers in my log recently, @Bigfoot Grip made me think... forearm strength is actually one of my stronger points. So I tried it, and I PRd (that time, I didn't log this in detail, probably no time). 

Double Underhand bending - minor progress
I definitely improved (FBBC sexabastard in doubles). But I'm still not ready for the 8.8 cert, mainly because of my left wrist. I know I would have to go crazy to do it, but I have this annoying "you'll injure your wrist again" thought in the back of my mind. Obviously, it's not the fear of pain but rather the thought that I can't bend for months. 
So I think I will wait a little bit more with an attempt. There are some intermediate goals anyway, like the FBBC Duke or ECGB 1/3" DR. 

Reverse bending/WD2 - major progress
I'm satisfied with my reverse progress. Those joined reverse/DU sessions almost every week can be very taxing, so I might try this: A week: easy DU, hard reverse, B week: hard DU, easy reverse

+Besides some special occasions, short braced bending is on pause for now because I can't fit it into my routine

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, matek said:

Self-reflection on recent (~2 months) progress. I've decided to do these summaries from time to time. 

I changed how I train grippers, and I gained about 4-5 RGC MMS. It was narrower than an MMS, but I did close my RGC 165 Cobalt. I just need to continue what I'm doing. Progress is relatively slow because of all the other stuff I'm doing - but this slow progress is steady. One thing I'm not sure of is what cert I should go for. GHP #7 (block set) for reps, maybe. Or maybe the #8 if I find one below 170 haha. 

I improved a little bit on the 60mm block, very little, though. Couldn't lift 80 lbs relatively well rested (lifted 79 with RH multiple times). 
No notable progress on the 80mm pinch block or blobs. I don't care much about the block, but I thought I would already conquer the KWN50 by now. One thing I learned is that there is almost no meaning in putting weights on my KWN40. The problem is not the weight but the width. So I've been doing mainly assisted lifts with my RH, but it seems like one pinch session per week is just not enough for me. I'm really not talented in pinch, so I need to work harder/more. Btw I think the weak link is my thumb. 

I only gained a few pounds on the Fat Gripz deadlift, but I wasn't doing thick bar enough to make significant progress. So it's ok. By the way, I don't think I got stronger, but I changed how I grab the bar a little. Probably because of my powerlifting background, but I never thought about doing a slight wrist flexion while doing double overhand deadlifts (thumbless is different, of course). But discussing inch trainers in my log recently, @Bigfoot Grip made me think... forearm strength is actually one of my stronger points. So I tried it, and I PRd (that time, I didn't log this in detail, probably no time). 

I definitely improved (FBBC sexabastard in doubles). But I'm still not ready for the 8.8 cert, mainly because of my left wrist. I know I would have to go crazy to do it, but I have this annoying "you'll injure your wrist again" thought in the back of my mind. Obviously, it's not the fear of pain but rather the thought that I can't bend for months. 
So I think I will wait a little bit more with an attempt. There are some intermediate goals anyway, like the FBBC Duke or ECGB 1/3" DR. 

I'm satisfied with my reverse progress. Those joined reverse/DU sessions almost every week can be very taxing, so I might try this: A week: easy DU, hard reverse, B week: hard DU, easy reverse

+Besides some special occasions, short braced bending is on pause for now because I can't fit it into my routine

You've really take your bending to the next level these past few months. And its really hard to make fast progress when you are chasing multiple goals, but the flip side is it makes for a more balanced routine.

You are right, i've been doing joint DO and Reverse, and it wipes me out some weeks. I think that new routine sounds perfect. I've found even on easy stock there is something to learn..  Also no need to rush for certs, you'll know when its time.

Your pinch is better than mine but i recommend using a band assisted deload for 50lbs blob.. It will get your hands used to the size without straining too much. As you get stronger less tension on the band. I think you should get after the inch, to me thats the ultimate grip feat. You're strong enough I bet you could clean one someday.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You've really take your bending to the next level these past few months. And its really hard to make fast progress when you are chasing multiple goals, but the flip side is it makes for a more balanced routine.

Thanks!
Yeah, it's much harder to get injured this way.  

12 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You are right, i've been doing joint DO and Reverse, and it wipes me out some weeks. I think that new routine sounds perfect.

I can imagine... That's even worse than DU - Reverse!

17 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Your pinch is better than mine but i recommend using a band assisted deload for 50lbs blob.. It will get your hands used to the size without straining too much. As you get stronger less tension on the band.

I've tried this before (actually, this is how I started training blobs), but the setup was a bit troublesome, so I switched to assisted lifts. But doing it with bands is still better (consistency), so I might come up with something!

23 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I think you should get after the inch, to me thats the ultimate grip feat. You're strong enough I bet you could clean one someday.

Lifting the inch is one of my long-term goals, so I will start training for it specifically once I accomplish a few other things 👍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, matek said:

Really solid progress you're making all around 💪

It's been such an interesting experience being into this grip sport/culture in terms of experimenting with technique. I like how unconventional it is as opposed to more standard and well known gym exercises and sports. I find we really have to play around and find out what works. Seems like it's not a sport we want to be closed minded if the goal is optimal or near optimal results. I remember stating on the board a couple years ago I needed to train the hub to get better at the hub. This used to be true but for some reason these days it improves with no attention 🤔 maybe in 6 months it will go back to the old experience and I will have to train it lol. 

Your work ethic and determination has been really motivating to me 👊 especially the high volumes you do!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matek said:

Really enjoyed reading your progress summary.

As far as grippers go, sounds like you are a lock for GHP 7 cert for reps, MM1, and potentially MM2 at your top end. Not sure where your CCS is at, but are your approaching CCSing a 3 territory?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Really solid progress you're making all around 💪

It's been such an interesting experience being into this grip sport/culture in terms of experimenting with technique. I like how unconventional it is as opposed to more standard and well known gym exercises and sports. I find we really have to play around and find out what works. Seems like it's not a sport we want to be closed minded if the goal is optimal or near optimal results. I remember stating on the board a couple years ago I needed to train the hub to get better at the hub. This used to be true but for some reason these days it improves with no attention 🤔 maybe in 6 months it will go back to the old experience and I will have to train it lol. 

Your work ethic and determination has been really motivating to me 👊 especially the high volumes you do!

Thanks a lot!👍 One day I'll catch up with you in pinch!

You're absolutely right. Small changes can greatly affect the results, so we should be open-minded. 

11 hours ago, Jared P said:

Really enjoyed reading your progress summary.

As far as grippers go, sounds like you are a lock for GHP 7 cert for reps, MM1, and potentially MM2 at your top end. Not sure where your CCS is at, but are your approaching CCSing a 3 territory?

Thank you!

Yeah, maybe I should start training RH with a 1.5" block, and in like 2 months go for 3 reps on my #7. At least setting is much easier compared to MMS. 😅
My CCS is not good because I never focused on it. Sometimes I just try it out to see how it feels. I can CCS my RGC 134 Fe, that's for sure (did it even before this 2 months training period).

• Like 3

I had my certification/PR opportunities last week, so back to business. 

Blobs
I've decided to only do pinching with blobs until I lift my KWN50. Let's go, let's lift this thing!

I've found this "Blob Pinch Help Tutorial" on the board, and I will try to program my blob workouts similarly (not precisely the same, though). 

Both hands
Phase 1
- 4x1 KWN40 (41.2lb/18.7kg) lift
Phase 2
- 4x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lift attempt
Broke it off the ground each time with RH, with LH no full elevation
Phase 3
- 4x8sec KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) ISO squeezing
These are more tiring than it sounds!
Phase 4
- 4x drag on the mat until failure with the KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg)
Basically, I drag the blob around with slight wrist flexion until I can't move it anymore. Obviously, more dragging time with RH. I tore my RH webbing, but this is good exercise. 

Btw last week when blobbin', the blob bounced back to my hand from the mat, and my thumb really didn't like it. Getting better (I think), but I need to be careful when lowering blobs. 

20230508.jpeg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, matek said:

I had my certification/PR opportunities last week, so back to business. 

Blobs
I've decided to only do pinching with blobs until I lift my KWN50. Let's go, let's lift this thing!

I've found this "Blob Pinch Help Tutorial" on the board, and I will try to program my blob workouts similarly (not precisely the same, though). 

Both hands
Phase 1
- 4x1 KWN40 (41.2lb/18.7kg) lift
Phase 2
- 4x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lift attempt
Broke it off the ground each time with RH, with LH no full elevation
Phase 3
- 4x8sec KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) ISO squeezing
These are more tiring than it sounds!
Phase 4
- 4x drag on the mat until failure with the KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg)
Basically, I drag the blob around with slight wrist flexion until I can't move it anymore. Obviously, more dragging time with RH. I tore my RH webbing, but this is good exercise. 

Btw last week when blobbin', the blob bounced back to my hand from the mat, and my thumb really didn't like it. Getting better (I think), but I need to be careful when lowering blobs. 

20230508.jpeg

Yeah. You have to be careful. I learned from Zach Mullins you gotta release the blob a split second before it touched the ground. Never thought about it about the impact has to go some where, and that where is the hands and wrists.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah. You have to be careful. I learned from Zach Mullins you gotta release the blob a split second before it touched the ground. Never thought about it about the impact has to go some where, and that where is the hands and wrists.

Yep, precisely. My thumb mobility is not very good (about 90-95 degrees to my index finger is max), but that bounce back forced my thumb to a much wider angle for a split second. 

• Like 1

that must have felt good 

• Like 1

Reverse bending - One IMP without a rubber band
- 1x CRS 9/32" x 7 - one hit
I think I've never done reverse in one IMP, I just wanted to try it. 

Reverse bending - Single leathers 
- 1x CRS 5/16" x 7" - four hits
It was probably done in three hits, but I wanted to make sure. 
- 1x Stainless 304 HEX 7mm x 7" - one hit 
This is only slightly easier (around 30 lbs maybe) than the 5/16" round CRS, but it felt much better because I rested more before this. 
- 1x CRS SQUARE 1/4" x 5" - 4 hits
At this point of the workout, this wasn't easy. 5" is an annoying length to reverse. My Bluetooth camera switch didn't work for some reason, so this bend wasn't recorded. 

DU bending - Single leathers
- 1x Brass HEX 10mm x 4.5" - one hit
10mm is about 25/64", but this is milder brass. 
- 1x CRS 21/64" x 5.7" - one hit
One loong hit, but this was tougher than expected. 
- 1x CRS 21/64" x 6.5" - one hit
- 1x CRS 5/16" x 5" - one hit 

All bends within a minute and above 40 degrees. 

The thumbnail of the video is totally random of course; it's not like I hand-picked a still where I look jacked. 

20230509.JPG

• Like 5

Nice bends! Especially with the 1imp. That hurt me just watching.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice bends! Especially with the 1imp. That hurt me just watching.

Thanks!
I noticed that WD2 in suedes trains for these types of bends really well. Probably that's why it wasn't that difficult for me.
In veg-tan leathers or doubles wrapping the bar at 4-5 cm, it's a little bit different movement. I like both.

• Like 1

Grippers
I've decided to focus on GHP block sets for a while (with RH). 

RH
5x5 1.5" GHP block set, Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC 111 

LH
1x1 1.5" GHP block set, Standard Fe RGC 134
3x2 27mm choked, CoC #3 unrated
1x1 27mm choked, CoC #3 unrated

Bought a single stamped CoC, looks nice.
It arrived yesterday, already MMSd it twice. Hard to decide which is harder; my newer style #3 or this. This one is slightly narrower though at 74mm. 

coc3ss_1.png

coc3ss_2.png

• Like 7

13 hours ago, matek said:

Thanks!
I noticed that WD2 in suedes trains for these types of bends really well. Probably that's why it wasn't that difficult for me.
In veg-tan leathers or doubles wrapping the bar at 4-5 cm, it's a little bit different movement. I like both.

That’s why bending is so great, so many variations, always something to improve on or someway to make something more challenging.  I have leathers I’ve never really used, thought about trying doubles. I can’t really get them to grab onto the bars like imps and suedes….  is that due to them not being broken in?

Been meaning to ask someone that but I keep forgetting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s why bending is so great, so many variations, always something to improve on or someway to make something more challenging.  I have leathers I’ve never really used, thought about trying doubles. I can’t really get them to grab onto the bars like imps and suedes….  is that due to them not being broken in?

Been meaning to ask someone that but I keep forgetting.

It's the leathers from ECGB, right? For singles, you really have to use your forearm muscles to wrap a brand new 2mm veg-tan leather tight. I recommend using a vice/spring clamp with a piece of wood or steel to hold the leather tight while wrapping. I attached a picture for reference, this is a relatively new leather I cut it about a week ago.
Wrapping and keeping it like that for a few hours also help with new leather. If it's super stiff, sanding the shiny side a little bit will help as well.

If it's for the outer layer of a double wrap, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the connection between the layers is as smooth as possible.

1.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matek said:

It's the leathers from ECGB, right? For singles, you really have to use your forearm muscles to wrap a brand new 2mm veg-tan leather tight. I recommend using a vice/spring clamp with a piece of wood or steel to hold the leather tight while wrapping. I attached a picture for reference, this is a relatively new leather I cut it about a week ago.
Wrapping and keeping it like that for a few hours also help with new leather. If it's super stiff, sanding the shiny side a little bit will help as well.

If it's for the outer layer of a double wrap, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the connection between the layers is as smooth as possible.

1.JPG

Thanks, yes they are. I bought from Cannon, but I think it’s ECGB. I’ll try that.

• Like 1

Beltless double overhand deadlift - Fat Gripz original (blue, 2.25")
- 5x1 with short hold on top 130kg/286.6lb
- 1x8 & 2x7 105kg/231.5lb

Beltless double overhand deadlift
- 1x8 160kg/353lb
Wanted to do 2 more reps, but right thumb webbing disagreed (I tore it on Monday while blobbin').

Beltless thumbless deadlift - Fat Gripz Extreme (orange, 2.75")
- 2x1 102.5kg/226lb
- 1x1 100kg/110.5lb
- 2x3 92.5kg/204lb

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

GREAT WORK ON THE DEADLIFTS 💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BW is 109kg/240lb 

First proper back/shoulder workout in three weeks (because of the deload week then the pr attempts/certs). 

Weighted neutral grip pullups
- 5x3 51kg/112lb
- 5x5 41kg/90lb

Incline bench
- 4x4 100kg/220.5lb
- 1x8 90kg/198.4lb

I haven't benched for so long that I forgot how to do it😅

Lat pulldown
- 5x8 136kg/300lb

Shoulder press cable machine
- 6x8 95.3kg/210lb

• Like 4

2 hours ago, matek said:

BW is 109kg/240lb 

First proper back/shoulder workout in three weeks (because of the deload week then the pr attempts/certs). 

Weighted neutral grip pullups
- 5x3 51kg/112lb
- 5x5 41kg/90lb

Incline bench
- 4x4 100kg/220.5lb
- 1x8 90kg/198.4lb

I haven't benched for so long that I forgot how to do it😅

Lat pulldown
- 5x8 136kg/300lb

Shoulder press cable machine
- 6x8 95.3kg/210lb

must feel nice to get back to back workouts

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

must feel nice to get back to back workouts

Not gonna lie I was tempted to skip today's workout so I could attempt a 5/16" drill rod reverse on Tuesday, but I was missing pullups too much 😅

• Like 1

Grippers
RH:
- 5x5 1.5" GHP block set, Standard adjustable Ti, set to RGC 111 
- 2x3 & 1x2 20mm choked, Standard adjustable W, set to RGC 160

LH:
- 2x1 MMS, GoG Elite #6, unknown RGC
- 1x 27mm choked, IM CoC #3, unknown RGC
- 2x2 & 1x1 22mm choked, IM CoC #3, unknown RGC

20230514.jpeg

• Like 3

Blobbin'

Both hands
Phase 1

- 3x1 KWN40 (41.2lb/18.7kg) lift
Phase 2
- 5x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lift attempt - 1 full lift with RH
I fully lifted it with my RH for the first time! I really didn't expect this, so I haven't recorded it. But now that I "unlocked" this, I think I can repeat it on a good day and go for the cert (at least I hope).

Phase 3
- 5x7sec KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) ISO squeezing

Phase 4
RH
- 5x1 band assisted lifts KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) 
LH
- 5x1 non-lifting hand assisted lifts KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, matek said:

Blobbin'

Both hands
Phase 1

- 3x1 KWN40 (41.2lb/18.7kg) lift
Phase 2
- 5x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lift attempt - 1 full lift with RH
I fully lifted it with my RH for the first time! I really didn't expect this, so I haven't recorded it. But now that I "unlocked" this, I think I can repeat it on a good day and go for the cert (at least I hope).

Phase 3
- 5x7sec KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) ISO squeezing

Phase 4
RH
- 5x1 band assisted lifts KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) 
LH
- 5x1 non-lifting hand assisted lifts KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) 

Nice blobbin 

• Thanks 1