Record Of Strength

foggymountainmuscle

08-16-04

Bending and grippers

I bent a timber tie Brookfrield style, not terribly difficult, I must be getting better at it. Feeling pretty good I went for 7.5 inches of HRS. I got it, it was a fight. PR! Unfortunately after that I was pretty used up. I got a 8.5 inch length to 55 degrees but it wasn't good enough to start the crush down. I then tried to break a short piece of CRS 3/16" but after a while I realized I wasn't able to apply pressure and movement in a consistant area and scrapped the idea. A warmup, a max bend, failed bend, failed break: Take that high volume! :trout

I moved onto grippers. I did 2 sets of 3 reps with a very shallow set on my filed #1 and when I reached the range where I could go no more, I nudged with my free hand and held the gripper in that closer position. I continued this with my number 2 only I used a deep set. It is hard to judge how much I have improved on the grippers when bending is first. Then again I must admit a yellow nail equivalent is more important than the #2 at this time. I finished it off with some extensore work. I went on my knees and put the first finger and thumb sections against the floor, I then would lean over them putting on more and more weight, and I would push myself back. I thought it worked pretty well. I did 3 sets of 2 of those. I hope to work upto doing a full sissy style pushup this way. I suppose anyone can do that but I maintianed the contraction of my fingers and did not allow the first joints to touch the ground so it was hard. All that with a nasty, smashed finger on the right hand.

08-17-04

Looks like I may have a regular training partner. Hopefully I can pass on the tradition of sound, hardnosed training. He's doing well, especially with bending. I got some chain and I was able to do weight added dips. I tried going for 3 sets of 5 with 95lbs. and I got 5 the first set, but I think I only got 3 the next two. I had my training partner help me do some negatives on the last set. I thought the dipping bars were going to snap on me! That would have made me violently angry to say the least. After that we did some pullups with the IM eagle loops. Felt pretty good with five on the first set, the second set I did 5 with just the very tips of the fingers, then 5 with just the tip of the last 3 fingers which I had to add the finger for the last two reps, and for the last set of five I got 4 with just the last two fingers. After that we did some thickbar floor presses, floor presses from the bench cause the rack was in use. I got 5 reps at 185, but bottomed out on the last 2 sets only getting 2 unassisted ones. Floor presses are like that.

That was about it. That's low volume even for me, but the exercises where pretty compound so I can get away with it. We cooled down with a dumbell clean and press off. I used a much heavier weight but he beat me by one rep which I didn't expect.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• danegarreau

• mossman

• Meat Loaf

08-18-04

Lower Body

Started off with deadlifts. I started with 365, for five but moved up 5 pounds each set to end on 5 reps at 375. I did partial deadlifts, the belt makes a big difference, I only got 3 reps at 425, I missed attempts higher than that. I hope to do more in a short order. I hope to work with 405lbs. for the regular deads next time.

Neck was neck supports using the standing calf machine. (It's plate loaded it's not a real machine.) 12 seconds, back of the head, front of the head 4 sets going up to 120lbs.

I then used the calf machine for it's intended purpose. I did one set of five at 230lbs., and did 2 more sets of five at 280lbs. I then did timed supports on my heels using my shins using 280lbs. 3 times for 12 seconds.

Showed my friend some plate pinching, measured the dementions of 3-25s 4.25", 2 25s 2 35s and 2 45s are about 3", and 5 10s was just short of 6 inches. 2 25s wasn't too much despite my lack of pinch training as of late, I even got a full deadlift in the right hand with only 2 fingers! Could only break it off the ground with the left. 2 35s is still too hard, even with a pin through it.

Could only break it off the ground with the left. 2 35s is still too hard, even with a pin through it.

With 2 plate pinches, I don't think most people find the pin to be much help. I certainly find that my plates are harder with my 3.5lbs loading pin than without.

I didn't think of that, the loading pin is like 5 more pounds... I should have gone with a pony clamp.

08-20-04

I tried doing some bent pressing, but going over 100 pounds I ran into some problems. The Eleiko bar revolvs too freely and the collars are not too secure. I'll probably need to get a non revolving bar to get my bent pressing rolling again. I was so close to 52.5Kg it was painful, lockout and everything, but missed the stand up because of the weights rolling and swinging the bar. POS!

I then moved onto plate pinching. Started with 2 45s in the loading pin, then I added 2.5Kg, added another 2.5Kg, doing 3 sets of 5 deadlifts with the thing. I then tried to go for 2 35s on handed. I notice the pair I grabbed had one plate noticably bigger than the other. I corrected that and tried to tape the two plates together, but I think it didn't do anything to help. I was able to lift them with the aid of one finger and the tumb a few times. For the last few sets I lifted the 2 35s with two hands and held them in one hand against my body for about 5 seconds. So close.... this is going to consume me until I get it. It'll only get worse though once I get 2 35s, cause I'll want 2 45s.

I moved onto onehanded deadlifts with the R ring. I worked up to 320lbs. Bone grinding, skin shredding, cartalige tearing PAIN! I topped it off with successive lifts at 200, 3 in each hand.

I really cooked my extensors. I attached my eagle loops to an ez curl bar and did an exercise similiar to my extensor brick lift. Added the collars onto the barbell for the last set. To compliment this I looped the back of my thumbs through each loop and did curls. I hope these are productive and not stupid gyrations like I saw everyone else doing in the gym.

I ended on finger walking and reverse finger walking. 2 sets of each with an extra 5 pounds on the loading pin. For the last set I just did all negatives.

08-21-04

Bending

Warmed up by breaking 5.5" 3/16 CRS. This was not easy and was probably more trouble than what I entended it to be. Got the bending started off with a 7.5" length that I put a monster kink in before. Strained hard and got it to move than took her down. I attemped a kinked 7" HRS but it did not go. I got 3 bastard lengths kinked: 7 inches of 1/4 hot rolled, zinc plated, and cold rolled. I then took down an 8 incher HRS. I finished out with bending a timber tie brookfield style and then went on to break it. Breaking is good training for horseshoe bending.

I hope to get the 7" HRS length and 2 35s sometime next week.

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

08-23-04

Probably should log this before I forget. I did clean and jerk yesterday. I stopped before I hit 200lbs because my elbows were bothering me from some of the catches and my judgement told me to give them a rest. But I nailed the double knee bend. My O lifting just got a serious shot in the arm! I'll be breaking PRs in no time.

I then moved onto overhead supports, 2 reps for 5 seconds, worked up to 1 rep of 6 seconds to 335lbs. I remember doing 375 for a second but I think that was with a belt. I imagine I'd have gotten more if my elbow didn't hurt. These didn't bother my elbows too bad though and it felt kinda good on them.

I then did pinch, try as I may 2 35s didn't go. I can get 2 25s with two fingers any day of the week with a little chalk now. I was able to deadlift in each had 2 25s + the loading pin and 2 5s. I'm basically 5 pounds away from the 2 35s. My next pinch workout will probably be with my blob. I hope to come back to my plate pinching and nail the 35s after some work with my new blob that's in the mail.

I made a mess in the dumbell area with all my chalk, it was great! :laugh

Today I just worked on some active flexability and joint mobility drills in addition to Chinese balls and some light bending.

I got my 35lbs. blob from Pexter today. This thing is so cool and looks gigantic!

Naturally I got owned. If I had some more wrist strength, maybe I could break it off the ground. I definately have more respect for lifting a blob by the face now. You blob face lifters have a hell of a thumb and open finger strength to match.

Big thanks to Pexter for smoothing out the cut area so that it is not sharp at all.

Goals to meet by the end of the year, all raw:

Clean & Jerk 275lbs.

Snatch 220lbs.

Deadlift 500lbs.

Squat 485lbs. Rock bottom squat 400lbs.

Bench 285lbs.

Standing over head press 200lbs.

Wrist curl 185lbs.

Curl bdw.

Reverse curl 110lbs.

Close #2 No set close #1

Stone lift 300lbs.

Zercher deadlift 375lbs.

One hand deadlift 300lbs.+

Plate curl 25s for reps

One finger lift 100lbs.

Bend an IM blue.

Farmers walk with 250lbs.

Turkish get-up with near body weight.

Perform 10 torso raises in one set

That's about it. I feel it is abotainable yet still a freakishly high level of strength.

HI A QUESTION FROM A NEW MEMBER. YOU SAID DEAD LIFT 300 OR MORE WITH ONE HAND IS THAT WITH A STRAIGHT BAR OR WITH A CAMBERD BAR MY SON WHO IS 19 YEARS OLD IS TRAINING FOR THIS LIFT AND HAS DONE 300 LBS WITH A STRAIGHT BAR AND HAS DONE 400 LB WITH A CAMBERD BAR WITH CHALK ALONE IS THIS A GOOD WEIGHT FOR HIM ALSO ON A TBAR ROWING MACHINE WITH A 2 INCH COLLER HE DID LAST WEEK 485LBS THE COLLER DOES NOT REVOLVE BUT I CANT LIFT IT HAS ANY ONE EVER DID THIS LIFT JUST LOAD UP AS IF YOU WERE GOING TO DO T BAR ROWS AND STAND FACING THE MACHINE AND GRAB THE COLLER AND LIFT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE A ALL AROUND LIFTER WHO WILL ACCOMPLISH ALL YOUR GOALS DAN PRAYDIS SR

Owww My ears !!! :erm

Foggy are you planning on strict curling your bodyweight with you back against the wall, if so that is SICK :rock

Edited by Darco

The one handed deadlifts were done on the IM R-ring, basically a ring weight. My most recent session of these was just off the floor, nothing different from the dinny lift at the European Championships. Usually I do one handed deadlifts while straddling two benches, which is noticably deeper than a normal barbell onehanded lift would be. If I recall correctly, I did do a single over 300 pounds in this manner, but if I did not, I assure you I can. The small handle does not make it easier, quite the opposite, feels like it's ripping the connective tissue between hand bones. I wish I had a cambered bar to do some one handed deadlifts on because I have not found a straight bar that will cooperate. Your son has some immpressive one handed deadlift poundages. I'd reccomend standing on something raised in order to get a deeper range of motion using the nice, controlable cambered bar for one handed deadlifts.

Now with the T bar, most gym trainees use such deplorable form in deadlifting, and maintaining posture during the use of it, that it can be dangerous, if only because a full deadlift can rack your nuts! I wouldn't reccomend them but, if they prove effective for training, who am I to scoff at? I will say that the back should be nice and stiff, maybe a bit of an arch, just good back posture for the entirety of the lift. Rounded back lifting has it's place, but I do not believe that it with the T Bar. Having to drop a heavy T bar poundage conserns me too. I think I'll have to investigate this exercise but I am skeptic in thinking that it may be better than other lifts. Thanks for inquiring.

Looks like the lifting 100 pounds with one finger is accomplished along with the no set #1 close and 300 pound one handed deadlift. I imagine the reverse curl of 110lbs. and 200lbs. standing overhead press will be accomplished the next time I try them.

08-28-04

Total body + grip

I did some thick bar (a little over 2 inches) continental clean and jerks. I got up to 225lbs. on them. The last few heavy ones really hurt my elbows and it was that I was catching them like a clean squat at the top and not like power clean. My wrist were fried and I realized I was unable to support them stiff wristed at the top, so I decided the next time I do them my entire elbow will be under the bars at the catch. If I ever do continentals on a normal bar, push pressing records will be broken!

After that 225 I started adding weight to do deadlifts. After 235lbs. I added more weight to each side and did alternate grip deadlifts on the bar. These are harder on the back than normal deadlifts pound for pound. I just got the lockout then dropped it (which I did with quite a few of the reps) when I maxed out at 301lbs.

I did some overhead lockouts with my elbows at 90 degrees, the part where a jerk usually fails. I maxed out at 215.

I moved on to some neck work. I did 4-5 reps on neck bridge presses. Started at 45 pounds and got up to 67lbs. I hope to get to 100 in the near future. I invented a exercise for the neck, Pavel would be proud of this one. From a reverse bridge, with weight behind your back, bring one foot forward, then back, then bring the other foot forward and back. I used a 10kg weight on my back but this was a bit too much for great form. Works the neck and core. The stronger your neck is the harder you can be on your abs and vice versa.

08-29-04

Bending

I warmed up with a timber tie, it felt kinda tough, I thought I might be weak today, but that didn't last. I took an 8.5" HRS length and killed it as a second warm up. I then brought down the kinked 7" HRS I left unfinished. Hardest crush down of my life, stupid jean bending rags. Porkbone is going to send me some cordura, I've had it with these things. I then finished of a 7 inch piece of zinc plated steel I kinked (probably braced) from long ago. That's like bending a 7.25" yellow. I attempted my "yellow" which I measured to be slightly shorter than a yellow, but I only took it from barely kinked to noticably kinked. I cooled down with a piece of 4.25" 3/16", easy. Tried to break an old piece of 3/16" but the jean pads weren't cutting it. In addition to not being good bending cloth, I think I've pulverized them. 2 PRs, how typical. :tongue

08-30-04

Olympic lifting

My snatched sucked, I'm pissed, let's leave it at that. After that I did 3 sets of 5 reps with 200lbs. hyper shrugs. Felt good, traps are sore today. After that I did 3 sets of 5 reps of cheat curls with with 180lbs. I did a few reps at 200 but I could only do a few so I stayed at 180. To wrap it up I did something new. Thickbar, arms parallel to the bar, overhead supports. I worked up to 285lbs., I don't remember anything feeling that heavy. I had to flex my calves to get my legs going for the lockout. :blink

08-31-04

Lower Arm

I did some blob tosses with my 35 blob, great exercise, loved it. I did about three sets, I just went until I started dropping the blob. I actually lifted the blob to a near full deadlift and broke it off the ground with my right. My right is usually stronger buy I might have tired it out. Either way it's the first time I got some air under it. I did some gripper tosses and some gripper attempts. The #2 was closer than ever. Wanted to do some bending but mutalated a towel in a warmup.

09-01-04

Lower body

This workout was joint jamming, chest compressing, huffing-puffing, headache inducing tension-HEAVY! And thank God, cause it was cool. :cool Started it off right with zercher deads. Screw using a towel on the bar, it makes it harder to get under the bar. I did triples, trying to go heavier and heavier. Started with about 200, then moved up the chain to 225, 245, 275, and I pulled a single at 308 and then did a set of 3 negatives with that weight. My lower back was smoked. I started some calf supports where I would fully flex my calves and then lockout my legs under the standing weight loaded calf machine. I did 3 sets of 5 reps at 5 seconds with 450lbs. Talk about take your breath away, I had to huff and puff just to aleaviate the compression on my rib cage after the set was done. These stressed the core, the collar bone, rib cage, toes, ankles, and oh yeah, the calves. After that I did neck supports, straight neck neck for maxium weight. Just kinda tried to last for about 4 or 5 seconds working up to a big weight. Did a 4 supports alternating sides of the machine with 180lbs. I did one support with 210lbs. but I couldn't do a second, just too used up. I wanted to do more neckwork but I was done and had to get going. I got some big rotation balls from Big Steve. These things are cool, I hope to do them upside down in a few weeks.

09-02-04

Did some tearing. Warmed up with tearing an already torn phone book. I then felt like trying some cards. Got a whole deck. I went to show one of my friends this, he wasn't around so I decided to go for a deck still in the pack. I got that too, my friend came up in the middle of this tear. After that, I tore the second deck, the case fell off into a pile, I tore the deck in half again! I cooled down with tearing the other half of the phone book. Phone books feel easy now. I didn't expect to get a full deck, but I've suspected I had the strength to do it for a while. This is my first real "big" feat of grip strength so to speak. Needless to say I'm feeling pretty strong.

I was going to the one in Xenia OH but I wanted to have my brother be in that so he could compete but he can't get the day off. Luckily though there is the Harvest Strongman Challenge in Monticello, IN October 23 that I plan on going to. There's going to be wrist wrestling and a hand strength competition at an Ockoberfest that I'll try to get in on this weekend.

Extended weekend, no real training took place, just a lot of sleep and watching chickens.

09-08-04

Grip

I tried some bending and some gripper work but I was unprepared mentally and physically for this after a long car ride, I sucked it up on everything and aggrivated my elbows. After dinner I felt strong. Took my severly filed trainer and overcrushed it on both hands, this is usually and indicator that I'm good to go. I did 2 sets of 4 reps on my filed #1, shallow sets, pushing my hand past the stalling point to gain more ground each rep. Last reps of the last set would not have been real closes, left couldn't do the reps that the right could. I then moved onto the #2, shallow sets, same rep sceme, I'd clamp down, then force the gripper closed. I then moved onto negatives, 2 sets of 3 continuous reps. The first set of my right I used the PDA 280 and for the second set I used the PDA 295. For the left I used the #2 first and then the PDA 280. The PDA 295 and my left do not like each other. I dropped back down to 2 sets of 4 on some flog attemps on my #1. PRs for range of motion and endurance all around. I have now taped the moving handle of my #2, I plan to tape it up so that I can "close" it and work from there. I'm putting the grippers on higher priority than ever to get this hard #2 down. In case you didn't notice, I never concentrated on the grippers too hard ever, but I'm tired of this slow progess and I think the rest of my grip can benifit from added crushing power.

09-09-04

This workout was drudging hell. I'm proud of myself for making it through. I did 3 sets of 5 thickbar dumbell, one arm snatches each side with 70lbs. Not terribly heavy, but challenging, and exhausting nonetheless. I then moved on to turkish get ups 1 set of 3 on each side and 2 sets of 2 on each side with 70lbs. This is the type of miserable, can't quit, can't fail, grit that other gym goers should feel privaleged to witness. I failed on the last rep on the left side, I simply could not rise with the weight, and that saying somthing when I can do more than 90 pounds on a turkish get up. The tension in my neck and jaw caused some noticable fatigue in those areas. I ended on some plate pinching, that cut my thumb base a bit, but no rips. Warmup with 90lbs, 1 set of 5 with 110lbs., 1 set of 2 with 120, and then 2 10 second long plate overcrushes with 90lbs. All in all it doesn't look like much, but I beat the hell out of myself.

09-09-04

Lower body and wrist

Rock bottom squats, I thought I was good for 315 for 3 sets of 5 but I missed on the 4th rep of the first set. I put it back down to 295 and finished the first set with 2 reps there. I got all five reps the next set and I only got 4 reps on the last set. I've done 295 rock bottom, but that was a while ago, shit happens. I finished the squat workout with 1/2 squats + walkout. I got up to 405lbs. as a single, tough stuff; the rock bottom squats sucked alot of power from my partials considering I could do this as a full squat. I moved on to wrist. I did 3 sets of 5 negative reps on a 25lbs. plate on the small gym's weird octagon plates. I did some of my patent thumbless reverse curls. (a piece of leather attached to the loading pin with a towel over the grip) I did 5 reps without regripping the thing with 20lbs. and moved up to 25, then 30lbs. which required some regripping after the reps, but I got them. I finished with the outer limit loops, I worked up to 45lbs. holding for about 4 seconds each hand.

09-10-04

Tickbar Mainia

Got things started off right with some thickbar benching out of the power rack. My form was pretty darn good. 200lbs. proved a little light for a 3 sets of five, tried to get 245 for a max but failed. I did 200lbs. for 2 sets of 5 and did 5 assisted posative + negative reps at 225lbs. I rounded it out with thickbar bench lockouts, broke 385lbs. off the pins but missed the lockout. Thickbar, more like 1.5" bar, bent over rows was next. 3 good, hard sets of five with 200lbs. Super thick ezbar curls were the final upper body movement, did 3 sets of 5, but had to cheat and/or rest to get the last two on the last two sets with 95lbs. (30 pounds on each side, hell if I know how much the bar really weighs) I moved onto triples of the last few degrees of the bicept curl, taking off the thick towel. Did 2 reps with 125lbs.

Finished off with some gripper work. Did some 10-12 second holds on my filed #1. Worked some tough negatives on my PDA 295 for the right and PDA 280 for the left. Did some very narrow pinching using my thin leather hunk with a clip through it. Got up to 5 singles at 40lbs. Ended the workout on some finger walks and reverse finger walks. Only could work with 2.5 extra pounds, when I've done 10 before! The slickness and freshness of the hands are some big variables on these things.

09-11-04

Did some light technique training on the olympic lifts. Ended the workout with some heavy shot rotations. Tore 1.5 phone books (2.75 inches total) at once later in the evening upon hearing of the worst case scenerio that I couldn't possibly imagine happening, actually happening. Kept my mind of that for a while, it was good.

Great progress Michael! I have a 35 York from Pexter also. It's a beast. I have found that it's actually easier (for me) to lift it by the face because the damn sides are so slick. Have you tried lifting it by the face yet? It (lifting by the face) should also help you lift the (5) 10s because of the width factor. Once I started getting in some reps with the 35 York by the face, my pinch started improving. Then I finally got the (5) 10s to full deadlift. If you're relatively close it might push you over the edge. Hope it helps. :D

You can lift the 35 blob by the face before you could get it normal? Holy cow, I'm no where close to doing it by the face, that's great! Every one of my digits are at the its tips on it from the face. I think my wrist strength helped me pull the 35 blob. I think I will start doing some assisted face work on this thing because I'm sure it will help me get 5 10s. Thanks.

Oh and for all your information I was using Tickbars 2 days ago. Inches of ticks all over the bar sucking my blood because I'm just that tough. And you all probably thought I was a dumbass for misspelling thickbar. You thought wrong.

Foggy, we all KNOW you are a tough son of a bitch. I heard to psych yourself up before a big lift you stab yourself in the heart with a conan sword just to show your body that you mean business.

MEAT

Foggy, we all KNOW you are a tough son of a bitch. I heard to psych yourself up before a big lift you stab yourself in the heart with a conan sword just to show your body that you mean business.

MEAT

There you have it kiddies, rumors are ALWAYS true. ;)

I am actually listening to Meatloaf as I write this.

09-13-04

I think I'm starting to get sick, I think I can shake this thing though without having to slacken the pace. I did some bending and blob work. I confirmed bencrush's findings, a friend of mine with bigger hands did have an easier time lifting the blob by the face than by the side. I only got two full deadlifts with the blob on my right hand, only minor airtime under the left. I got some assistance from my other hand to lift the blob by the face. I do not believe there will be many more blobs beyond the 35 that a face lift will be possible for me, but that's farther down the road. Not really an improvement, but stagnation is something to be overcome, never feared. I did some bending, wanted to practice some behind the back nail bending, but I just couldn't seem to kink my timber ties with this hard style. The highlight of this workout is a success of bending my "60ds from hell" which are around a grade 5 PR. I did this braced obviously but even still it was a suprise that I could get this. The crush was pretty easy though. I did some blob tosses, a little tired from the previous grip work. I hope I'm not sick because I think I should have been able to do more, but a PR imerged nonetheless.