Record Of Strength

foggymountainmuscle

04-14-04

Abdominal and lower arm

3 sets of hanging leg raises overhead first set did 5, second set did 4, third set did 2 and a few normal leg raises

1 set of 5 and 2 sets of 4 side bends at 85lbs.

2 sets of 5 crunch holds. I'd hold the weight and move it behind my head, trying to maintain position.

Tried some turkish get ups, too used up to get anything done with them, could have hurt myself.

Warmed up on some filed trainer closes

Did three sets of 4 #1 closes/attempted closes

Busted out my hard cardboard tube, about 4" in diameter. Did progressively heavy singles up to 37.5lbs. Did 2 more singles at that weight. Made sure my grip was on top of the tube, pure grip strength.

3 sets of 14 second holds on outer limit loops at 10lbs. Only got 7 seconds on the second set, not enough rest inbetween sets. ALL OUTER LIMIT LOOP WORK MUST BE DONE WITH A STRAIGHT ARM AND WRIST FROM NOW AND FOREVER!

3 sets of 5 reps reverse curls at 75lbs. Only got 4 on the second set, forced out 4 on the last set.

Did a bunch of different plate curl stuff, didn't have good plates to do much with so I tinkered.

Finished with some #2 attempts.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• danegarreau

• mossman

• Meat Loaf

Foggy, i was looking over on the anvil and saw that you are doing the ohio strongman meet, then i looked at the weights and laughed. You should do awesome at this meet, is this your first? Have you been training specifically for this contest? O, do u train at a gym, home, or school?, just wondering.

I train at the gyms on the BSU campus, inadiquit if you ask me. I go to a college prep school on the campus. Basically this week, starting tomarrow, I'm going to try to hit some maxes just to see where I'm at. I hope to push up over 250 on the axle press and since the deadlift will be above my knees, some people will be put to shame. I've lifted a 225lbs. stack of weights to my chest level, I feel this will carry over well to the stone lift. The farmers walk is pretty light, especially for you. The week before I'm going to go light on the lifting, hoping to not leave my best in the gym.

I did the NASS postal meet last year, placed third, qualified for nationals. Probably could have done better had I known what an 18" deadlift was. Went to the Central USA Strongman Challenge. Serious flooding in the city, was reschedualed, though thought to be canceled, the next day. Didn't make it. The weights in that contest were REDICULUS! Probably would have killed myself. Guess it all works out.

I hope to qualify for nationals, I also plan to do a few other contest, but I can't wait for teen nationals! I hope to win, and outlift some teen heavyweights.

04-20-04

Contest test run

Push press, from behind the neck, 2" bar. Triples at 135, 185, 225, and a single at 255lbs. Not support gear, probably could nab 275 at contest.

Stone lift/stack of weights. Did 5 lifts up to my chest at 140lbs. 4 lifts up to my chest at about 172lbs. Did a single at 95Kg. Tried hard not to rely on the bar in the middle and used my chest to keep the plates together.

18" deadlift, Doubles, no gear, hook gripped up to 375lbs. couldn't bare to pull it up like that. Switched to over under, did some more doubles, moved up to 465lbs. Broke out the belt at 585lbs. didn't move when I went to lift without it on. Topped off with at single at 600lbs. Should be able to do more at contest, I didn't widen my stance and lifted with normal shoes on for the lifts. Didn't use straps either! Thanks to the gripboard!

Did some holds with some 105lbs. dumbells. Wrapped towels around them giving me a 2" grip. Held out for a little over 10 secons for a couple of sets, ajusting the towels and grip.

Did some partial bicept curls, the last half of the curl. Doulbes at 95lbs., 115lbs., and a single at 125lbs.

Good workout, took a long long time.

So u got a 600 18'' dead? What is your best dead from the floor and how tall are you? Just asking because i also have a max 18'' dead at my contest and won't be able to practice for it too much because i don't have a power rack.

Haven't tried my max normal dead, but I think I pulled a 400lbs. Romainian deadlift, don't think I used a weightlifting belt. I'm only like 5'6"-5'7", in an 18" deadlift the bar is above my knees. I deadlift with my legs mostly. My squat, deadlift, and romainian deadlift are very close to each other. Your 18" is probably more than mine, cause your a good deadlifter, but I don't think you'll have as big a difference between the two like I do.

Do you have any blocks that can support the weight for an 18" deadlift? Might want to set it a bit lower because you can pull more from blocks than from the rack.

Push press, from behind the neck, 2" bar. Triples at 135, 185, 225, and a single at 255lbs. Not support gear, probably could nab 275 at contest.

Nice work. :ohmy

JasonL

Foggy, I hope to get at least 475 today on a standard deadlift today, so i should be able to get a pretty decent 18'' dead. But i am almost 5' 11'' so the bar is right below my knees.

I am thinking about building some blocks like the ones with big tony scrivens deadlifting 900 on, it would be cheaper than going to a gym for like 10 bucks a day.

O by the way, the NASS record for lightweight teen 18'' dead is 515, you should get that easy, as will I.

Thanks Jason, I did this lift in a contest last summer at 245 with alot of support gear on a one inch bar and to push up 255lbs. with no gear on a 2 inch, it's just a great feeling. I AM THE OVERHEAD KING! Well as far as people I've met in real life...

Dane, you'll probably be normal deadlifting 515lbs. towards the end of the year. You won't have any problems with that poundage. I bet your 18" deadlift is good, but it's really better to practice the partial movement, this builds tendon strength. Course I myself have only done 18" deadlifts twice in my life!

I remember when I first did quater squats I didn't even make it to 600lbs. Last time I did them, (I do 1/3 squats now, works totally different tendons) I got 805lbs. and I stopped because I'll soon damage the gym bar. A 600lbs. 18" deadlift is really only the begining. This is quite exciting because I may be able to take this lift to unheard of poundages in the future!

Oh, and if you make blocks, make them rectangular. Give yourself two different heights, right below the knee and right above it. That would be what I'd do.

04-20-04

Upper body

Kinda light and fast, didn't have a whole lot of time to spend.

2 warm up sets on everything

70lbs. dumbell incline bench 3 sets of 5 too easy.

95lbs. uprtight rows 3 sets of five semi easy, don't like this exercise either

185lbs. narrow grip bench presses from the pins 2 sets of 5, cheated on the last rep, 1 set of 3

That's it, hoping to get a real good workout tomarrow.

04-22-04

Not so good leg and upper back workout

Zercher squats

I originally set the bar too low and did zercher deadlift like lift. 315 for 5 reps, couldn't do anymore after that.

I set the bar up higher and did a true zercher squat 225 for 3 sets of 5, kinda crappy but that first set hit me like a 9 pound hammer.

Did some lockouts at 365lbs. and 385lbs. very heavy, I hope the conans wheel at my strongman competition doesn't feel this heavy or I won't walk too far.

Barbell bent over row- 200lbs 1 set of 5, 1 set of 4, 1 set of three. Tired as hell but still good reps.

Eccentric single calf raises at 180lbs. 1 set of 9

Tried to do some bicept work but it was apparent I was not going to accomplish much.

04-24-04

Lower arm

Gym was closed, so I did some stuff in my room.

Warmed up on one handed towel roll ups.

Did some bending attempts on some way short steel. I'm running low so all I have is steel I can't bend. Kinked it, but didn't stay on it too long. Didn't want to hurt myself.

Did some no set filed trainer closes, about 8 each hand.

Used my store bought grippers: I set on side flat on the desk and tried to mash them shut using my thumb. 3 sets of 4 attempts, came close a few times but it's very hard.

3 sets of no set closes/attemps for 4-5 on the # 1 Fully closed the #1 for five reps first set, 3 times second set, once or twice on the last set for the right hand. I came closer to ever to closing the #1 with my left, so close I'd be mad if it wasn't such an improvement: 1/4" to <1/16" is pretty good. More attemps of increasing width on the left.

I took my little weider forearm developer and did 3 sets of six on it, but I only used one finger so it was difficult.

I did 3 sets of five on the forearm developer the opposite way.

Did 3 static holds per hand from the set on the #2. By the time I was done I couldn't set the gripper.

Finished off with 2 sets of reverse finger walks and one set of finger walking an empty IM olympic loading pin. The unbalanced piece of metal is equally challenging to when it has five more pounds on it.

Just got back from the outback strongman competition.

I locked out 250lbs. in the axle press (NASS LW Teen record now)

I locked out 550, 575, and 600lbs. in the 18" deadlift (Each one broke the NASS LW Teen record in the 18" deadlift.) No straps!

I went 141.1 Ft. on a 350lbs. conan's wheel

I mounted all my stones in 24.25 seconds, 5 stones starting at 170 and ending at 225lbs.

The tire flip got rained out.

While warming up my grip for the deadlift I casually no setted my #1 in my left hand. New PR!

Good day, I'm really tired and I'm icing my right knee and ankle.

Good Job Man, That's awsome.

Foggy, Awesome job man!! I'm really happy you did well. You have really raised the standards for all of the lightweight teens out there. Once again congratulations!!!

Congrats Foggy, I am very impressed. Just think what you'll be doing one, five, ten, twenty... and______ years from now.

Thanks guys! I need to give credit to the gripboard for it's information and modivation. 600lbs. strapless just wouldn't have gotten done had I not came here. I thank God that I walked away with no injuries.

It looks like I also set the record (I could find no previous one) in the Conan's wheel.

I hope to break the class records in the 2" clean and press for reps or max, 8" log lift for max/reps, the atlas stones, and anything that involves leg strength. Dane will probably break the records in the deadlift and farmers walk.

I learned alot about what to do during a contest and some form/technique tips. I hope to go to nationals and win!

:rock

First workout after the competition. I needed a few days to recover, but then I got sick. I'm still getting over it. My performance in the following lifts should be much better in a few more days.

Power cleans-minimal/no ducking- 200lbs. for 3 sets of 5 It was hard, but I need to move up for next time.

Thick bar one handed snatches- 3 sets of 5 at 65lbs. Some of the last few reps were press outs for the snatch. Should have ducked under more for better form, wasing doing it at firts, but the thick bar made it harder.

Pratice the bentpress with 40Kg. Wasn't as limber as I should have been, but definately improved my technique.

2-25s 3 sets of 4 reps first set held for 4 seconds at the top, second set for 3, last set for whatever. Left hand needed a bit of help to match the reps but did a full lift for the first few reps each time.

Balanced a 25 on the back of my fingers and handed it off 3 times for 10 second holds. I invented a new exercise, involving a 10lbs. plate on the back of my fingers. I mover my lower arm from a gooseneck to level with my writs. Very challenging. I call them gooses. I think they will prove productive as I am amazed how quickly my extensors in the wrist and fingers fatigue.

I did 3 sets of deadlifts with 2 25s using the last two fingers of each hand.

Tried to do some time holds with 315lbs. on a barbell but wasn't able to much.

05-07-04

Bending actually breaking, inspired by last night's conversation with Big Steve over the live chat. :rock

Broke 3 different lengths of 3/16th" CRS Attempted to bend a different one but it wasn't a good U shape and I was not able to bend it at the same point consistantly.

Took over half an hour to bend 3 bars and attempt another. Exhausting stuff. I found out you shouldn't attempt to break blindly. Unwrap the bar after a while and the fractures in the bar tell you what you need to do. Thing gets real hot! Now I have some real short 3/16" to work with. Hope to break some 1/4" soon.

YELLOW, I'M COMMING FOR YOU!

05-09-04

Gym was closed today...

So I lifted some stones in the landscape outside the gym. The campus police didn't seem to care.

First stone, kinda small, shouldered then pressed it twice. Shouldered the stone, then walked around the bike racks with it. Ditto for the other shoulder. Exhausting, additional sets would have only yielded pathedic distances. Did a little gripping on some of the rocks. Needed a warm up to get to the serious stones. Did some filed trainger closes. The two big stones seemed over whelming, but I knew I could lift them. So I lifted two medium stones together. The second time I lifted the two, it was easy. I then lifted one of the big ones. Gets up and over my knees and I lock out with it. Try to lift it at other angles but was unable to. Tried the other heavy stone, difficult, but very managable after the last one. Ended on a lift from the first heavy stone.

Considerable statigy was formed before each stone went up.

Cooled down with some outerlimit loops isometrics and finger walks.

Scraped up and dirty as a mut, but at least I have some wicked bruises on my shoulers!

Yikes! What happened to my grammer and spelling in those last few post!

Foggy, stone lifting is great isn't it? There is just something cool about lifting something completely natural. I know what you mean about the bruises on your shoulder, the last time i shouldered some natural rocks i was really scrapped up.

Yeah, Dane stone lifting is great. If you can lift a stone of a certain weight, it's like you lifted X amount of weight for real, no exceptions.

05-11-04

Grip + core

I trained grip first and was unable to do the amount of volume I wanted in my core training. I'll probably be sore anyway.

Warmed up on some thick bar DLs and trainer closes.

3 sets of 4 reps 2" DL @ 225lbs. Last few reps in the set were dropped at lockout. I didn't hug them to my body and I wasn't concerned with the thickbar DL as I was with training my grip. Stay at this weight for next time.

Narrow pinch. 4 sets of 4-5 reps with 13.75Kg. Difficult, but did it. 15Kg wasn't happening, so I hope it will next time.

Hub lifting- got up to 10lbs. plate with 5Kg attatched to it. 25lbs. was still glued to the floor.

Outer limit loops- 4 sets of 10-12 second holds each hand with 10Kg.

Held #2 at the set for about 40 seconds in each hand

Finger walks and reverse finger walks. Too tired to handle the weight I wanted to.

Cooled down with towel roll ups.

Warmed up the abs with 1 set of 10 bent leg raises. Tried to do some turkish get ups. Tried to do some overhead sidebends. Not much weight/reps were comming out of the sets. So I did two sets of one arm pushes for 3-4 reps at 40Kg. And 2 sets of one arm weighted incline situps. Kinda stunk but I worked to exhaustion.

05-12-04

Snatch workout- Should have waited longer, needed more recovery. Only got to 176lbs. really ticked me off.

Oh, and I got a picture in the gallery from the strongman competition I was in.