Record Of Strength

foggymountainmuscle

I've been meaning to keep track of my poundages in a training log but I haven't done that since I lost the booklet! That's about half a year... anyway I've had success with this and can remember most poundages fairly well and I don't have to break to write down what I did. So I can take a look at this thing and check to make sure I know my poundages for a particular rep set. I usually have improved so much by the time I repeat a particular exercise I can waste some time starting too light.

So here's the stuff I do/have done. Feel free to comment and question.

02-25-04

Recovering from an Olympic workout, abs were the only thing good to go.

2 X 2 leg + torso raises Man these are tough!

4 X 5 overhead side bends 45, 55, 65, 75

2 X 5 hanging leg raises, 5 second holds at various angles

3 X 3Turkish get-ups 65, 75, 85, and a single 90(felt like I could have done 100 on the right side)

02-27-04

Upper body- I cannot recall what I did with what weight

02-28-02

Lower body

5 X 5 Zercher squats 185, 225, 275, 315, 335(for 3)

2 X 5 stiff leg deadlifts, zercher squats used up my back, only two sets 100Kg and 120Kg

4 X 5 calf raises 180, 270, 320(4), 320(4 reps)

3 2 X 10 second single leg shin flexed supports at 180

Finished with squat walkouts. 3 315, 3 365, 1 405

I forgot the zercher squats used up a lot of back power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foggymountainmuscle

• danegarreau

• mossman

• Meat Loaf

Thick bar clean and jerk

Singles up to 218lbs. plus one set of four at 198lbs.

Thick bar deadlift, doubles at 198, 220lbs., and 242lbs.

3 sets of finger walks with ironmind loading pin, last two sets with the R-ring added on.

Hammer Plate curls

3 sets with 2 10s for 4 reps (didn't make all of them)

Palms up face curls

3 sets with 7.5Kg for five reps (made it)

Deck grip/thumbless pinch grip reverse curls

3 sets of 5, one with 5Kg, the last two with 6.25Kg (stay at 6.25Kg)

Tried some no set closes with the trainer but I was so used up I could only get it as far as I can get the number 2!

Eagle talon pushup holds, 3 sets of 10 seconds (not close to making it)

I am confused, my wrist are really strong but I am unable to do 25lbs. plate curls. I can whoop everyone I know in arm wrestling, I can wrist curl in excess of 140lbs., and my sledge hammer leveraging is really good. Does anyone have an idea of what might be my problem? Are my wrist not as strong as I think they are?

I know that when i do plate curls there is alot of pressure on my fingers was as my wrist. Plus the ability of your thumb to hold onto the lip.

Same here, my fingers are shot after a few sets of plate curls. But it seems to be helping

my crush workouts. As long as I space them out.

T

Okay I think I understand now. The thicker than standard grips on my plate curls I bet are reducing my poundages. (But not my effort) Though my fingers are rather strong, I do not think I have developed certain flexors and they may be the weak link in my plate curling. My thumb may not be gripping as much as I'd like it to either. John Brookfield touched on exercises that combind grip and levering in GMM. I guess I just need to make the two work together.

Goals to meet by the end of the year, all raw:

Clean & Jerk 275lbs.

Snatch 220lbs.

Deadlift 500lbs.

Squat 485lbs. Rock bottom squat 400lbs.

Bench 285lbs.

Standing over head press 200lbs.

Wrist curl 185lbs.

Curl bdw.

Reverse curl 110lbs.

Close #2 No set close #1

Stone lift 300lbs.

Zercher deadlift 375lbs.

One hand deadlift 300lbs.+

Plate curl 25s for reps

One finger lift 100lbs.

Bend an IM blue.

Farmers walk with 250lbs.

Turkish get-up with near body weight.

Perform 10 torso raises in one set

That's about it. I feel it is abotainable yet still a freakishly high level of strength.

Foggy, those are some good goals. I am glad to see that your are keeping a training log, now i feel the need to compete with you. When are you going to get some pictures up in the gallery? Anyways good luck with your training.

I would have to have the help of a friend with a digital camera, which may or may not happen soon. My spring break is comming up so we'll see. I also feel compelled to compete with you Dane. I can't bare to be so far behind your gripping abilities. :bow

Workout: Joint mobility drills and active streaching. Do more often!

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

Excellent workout I felt, despite feeling tired most of the day.

Upper body

A few warmup sets were done before each exercise, usually 2.

Plate chest crushes (similiar to a brick lift) lifts off the ground: 2 15Kg plates for 5 reps, 3 sets, increase in width each set. Did not make every rep.

One arm dumbell rows, with great form. 3 sets of 5 reps at 65lbs., made it. Start with left arm next time.

Thick bar floor presses: 3 sets of 5 at 185lbs. Great lift, but only got 4 on last two sets.

Thick bar ezcurl barbell curls: 3 sets of 5 at 85lbs. only got 3 on the last 2 sets

Quater snatch squats: 5 reps at 135, 185, and 225lbs. 1 rep at 275lbs.

Streached inbetween sets

Very nice workout, I feel my hands are not being overworked by extensive use of the thick bar anymore.

I've been eating more protien as of late, I feel this is helping me recover faster. Sometime it's gives me wicked gas though! :blink

Lower Body and Hands, no belt

Warm-up on some light snatches and C&Js

Rock Bottom Squat <- (pet lift! ) - 3 sets of 5 reps at 275lbs. got them all, not easy, but not deadly, move up!

One arm side deadlifts- 3 sets of 5 reps at 160lbs. (assuming the bar was 20lbs.) Only got 4 on the last two sets, stay at this weight and make sure the torso can stand completely straight. (no problem with the grip)

1/3 squats- my quater squat is soon to surpass the bar's strength, so I've started to do walk outs and 1/3 squats. Started too low, moved the pins up one. Triples up to 525lbs. 65% of my best quater squat. I want it to be about 80%.

Finger walks- 3 sets of loading pin + 1.25Kg. Fast progress, move up, but don't use next grip workout.

Reverse fingerwalks- 3 sets of trying to move the loading pin up, first time, but still needs work.

Grippers- warm up on trainer, 5 "closes" with #1., 2 strap holds with 1.25Kg, 5 #2 attemps

Kinda wanted to do more, but I decided against it. Everything was mildly taxed yesterday.

Hey those are some nice squat poundages.

Never tried doing deadlifts that way. Is it harder on the grip or the midsection? I may have to try some next deadliftd day.

Thanks, I like Rock Bottom Squats. Lots of guys don't have the knees to them. (maybe it's just the guts to try them) The best squat I've done, and I'm sure I can do more, was a rock bottom at 315lbs. starting from the bottom on the rack, no belt or anything. That's the way I usually do squats, from the rack. These are highbar too, of course I don't see why you would not do RBS highbar.

The one handed side deadlifts are hard on the mid section. I do very heavy side bends, like getting up to 90lbs. So I hope that gives you and idea of how tough 160lbs. can be. I don't think grip should be a problem, I wasn't sure it would be a problem because I had to use a smooth section of barbell. Be careful not to overwork your lower back, these can prove just as taxing if not more since you do each side, than two hand deadlifting.

I want to start doing Zercher Deadlifts, any advice ,,thanks :whistel

JasonL

hmm... Maybe I should start competeing too... I'll start a thread for my workouts. I'll post the last two weeks of lifting there. No grip training yet but I will start as soon as my COC's arrive.

03-14-04

Choping dead fallen trees with an axe. Cardio and functional grip!

03-15-04

I'm home over spring break, final got to play with my strongman impliments. My farmers walk handles are too narrow, (and hurt like hell!) I'm going to have to beef them up to 1 1/4"

Cleaned and pressed a barrel full of chicken feed as part of a warmup. Must have been about 150lbs. I'd like to do it for reps.

Worked with my Hauseiffle stone. Took me a while but I got it up and straddled, only made it about 30 yards. Tried getting it up to walk with it again, but couldn't, did a few deadlifts with it but stopped after I almost crushed my hand on a set down. That thing is so heavy, it's a big concrete diamond about 8 inches thick and about 2 feet tall.

Curled/cleaned and pressed a 70lbs traction sandbag. 3 Sets of five.

8lbs. Sledge hammer twist, got up to 2 reps a little more than half way down the handle. 1 set of 5, 1 set of 4, 1 set of 2.

3 sets of reverse finger walks with a small log, fingers stopped moving.

Messed around with some inbetween finger lifts of the sledge.

Couldn't believe it, I levered the sledge from the bottom of the handle holding it at arms length with both hands! (left was a little higher up, but still REAL low.)

Stone tore the hell outta me!

03-16-04

Abdominal/core work

leg raise warmups

3 torso exrections (moved up 1!)

5 reps of over head side bends at 55, 65, 75, 80, and 3 reps at 85.

Got too big for my britches, should have stayed at 80.

Tried som Turkish get ups, just sucked it up. Too similiar to overhead side bends, I was used up.

Eccentric/static stiff leg incline sit-ups. I held a bar overhead and would put it behind my head and try to stay upright.

Torn calus on my left palm was kinda annoying.

3 torso exrections (moved up 1!)

what are these?

Maybe something you can do 3 times in a row when you are still a teenager?

Seriously, nice log Michael, those one arm side deadlifts poundages are very good.

Torso erections, glad you asked. It's like leg raises on a bench, except in addition to raising your legs, your torso rises the same degree as your legs rise. Your shoulder blades, your hands, and head are the only thing in contact on the bench. It can be tough on the shoulders, you must pull hard enough to anchor your body to the bench. It's not a big guy exercise. I've heard it was the favorite abdominal exercise of Bruce Lee.

Thanks Oden. Thanks to the grip board I have absolute confidence of in my grip on side deadlifts, something I couldn't garuntee before. Ever since I started doing low rep side bends, the strength of my obliques soared!

03-18-04

Lower body

Front squats Rock bottom, from the rack

1 set of 5 at 135, 1 set of 5 at 225, 1 set of 5 at 275, only got three

1 set of 5 at 250, 1 set of 4 at 250, didn't make last rep.

Kinda dissapointed in my performance, but I performed them in the most difficult manor I can imagine and it was hard to breath! Next time, all three sets of 5 at 250lbs.

Zercher deadlifts. 1 set of 5 at 135, 3 sets of 5 at 225. Killer, I feel those 3 sets of 5 were more difficult than when I maxed out at 315 one time.

Tried some 18" deadlifts, training for the Outback Strongman Competition in OH. My torn calus didn't allow me to go above 400.

1/3 squats triples up to a single at 545lbs. I have determined that quater squats strain the tendons near the knee and 1/3 squats strain the tendons near the hips. With the help of the Lord I went for an extra 50lbs. on that last single and didn't tear anything. Whew!

try Front squat holds with as much weight as possible to help with your breathing problem. Just load the bar with as much weight as you can walk out with in a front squat step out and hold it for time. these are great for posture too.

i think what you're calling torso erections are commonly called dragon flags? (movement popularized by "Rocky" and by pavel's seminar)...brad johnson talks about them in his articles on tension exercises posted at dragondoor.com

good looking log! good luck at the strongman comp.

jeff

If I see an exercise and hear no title or invent an exercise I name it. Now I know what to call it, thanks. Those heavy front squat uprights sound just like they're just the ticket. Thanks!

03-19-04

Did some bending, thought I was close to bending an IM blue, but I'm nowhere close. I struggled with 1/4" 11" length CRS. Even had to cheat a bit. I wasn't giving myself enough of a break inbetween attempts. Took alot out of me, kinked a 9" 1/4". Did some overcrushes with the trainer. A few assited closes with the #2 and one set of 10 negatives on the #1. Wish I could have damaged some more serious steel, but I pushed myself far enough to where I know I will be a stronger bender next session.

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

Tractor Supply Company